Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 26, 2015.

1. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Why?

I think you can ignore the chosen actually, there is an option in the beginning.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cruelio Savant

cruelio
    It's called Long War because no one has made it to the end because it's so boring.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    Do mods fix the load times? That was the biggest difference for me when I turned on the expansion. Even if you have them both installed but choose the base game, the load times are at least twice as long.

^ Top  
  4. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Mods increase load times.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. I just use an ssd for everything now. I've given up on games loading quickly from an hdd. that was a bygone era.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    I don't even know anybody who has used an HDD in the last six years or so. Is that still a thing?

There's something about the load times on the base game that I thought was weird that they only fixed in the expansion and never patched into the base game. I bought and installed the base game and expansion at the same time, but I decided to choose just the base game on the main menu. Later, when I had completed that and chose the expansion, the level load times dropped to probably under half what they were. I was just curious if that could have somehow been modded into the base game.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. a lot of laptop manufacturers still use them on low-end to justify charging insane amounts of money for higher end models.

just buy bargain models and then upgrade them though. :M

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    I played quite a bit over the weekend and I feel about the same about this game as I did about the first FiraXCOM. I want to like it, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say the game is flat out bad, I find so many of the design choices to be frustrating and annoying. And I don't say this as someone who is a grog for the original X-Com games.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    A new game/mod launcher was added for all 2K Games, I guess, and now I can't change mods. Any mods I had before the new launcher load fine, but it doesn't load new mods I try to add to the list. I found a few threads about it on the Steam forums. Very interesting change.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ironmonk Savant

Ironmonk
    ^ Top  
  11. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    The way I'd put it is that Firaxis made a pretty fun if modern game when they were slavishly devoting themselves to trying to replicate the magic of the original game. When they felt confident and decided to 100% do their own thing and "evolve", every change they made was shit. So it goes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. desocupado Prophet

desocupado
    Maybe I suck at this game, but I'm struggling a LOT on timed missions on legendary. Some seem straight up impossible without extreme casualties. Usually the objective is far enough that just moving towards it takes quite a few turns, and then there's the enemies to deal with.

Those who beat the game on legendary, how did you deal with those?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    There's an option to double timers. All I can say is it was manageable before War of the Chosen, but I don't know how the expansion affected that balancing. It was always tight on some missions, to the point where you would have to give up on the "proper pack activation methods" from time to time. Best general advice that can be given is to always have plenty of options to destroy cover, so that you can effectively destroy any enemies you meet quickly and not rely on chances.

^ Top  
  14. turkishronin Arcane

turkishronin
    I haven't played any of the new X-COM games. Does this one also have destructible environment? Are all DLCs required?!

^ Top  
  15. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    All DLCs are optional, but they add some content and some gameplay changes that really should have been in a patch.
    There is destructible environment, but much like in XCOM: EU you can't target it, unless you use certain abilities.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    War of the Chosen - A pretty good expansion that changes the gameplay. You will like it if you dig the idea of your soldiers being a Power Rangers squad with many abilities.
    Tactical Legacy Pack - Cosmetic additions. Pack with tactical story missions without any of the strategic gameplay.
    Alien Hunters - Adds some OP enemies that spawn on some missions. Additional weapons targetted specifically for those enemies. I find them more annoying that challenging.
    Anarchy's Children - Cosmetic additions to turn your team into Mad Max scavengers.
    Resistance Warrior Pack - Cosmetic additions that should have been in the original game.

The main reason to have them installed is if some of the mods you want require them (most of the time, it's cosmetic mods once again).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Forgot one:

Shen's Last Gift - This one adds mechs/robots on your side. They don't change gameplay that much. Nice addition but I find myself using them rarely if ever.

^ Top  
  18. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    I do like the SPARK units that Last Gift introduces, but they are fairly lacklustre without mods.

^ Top  
  19. turkishronin Arcane

turkishronin
    You mean it doesn't have tanks/robots by default?

• decline decline x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sundevil96 Educated

Sundevil96
    • Brofist x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Matador Prophet

Matador
    Bought the game on sales, and after some learning Iron Man vanilla campaigns picked WOTC.

I'm playing an Iron Man campaign on Veteran with no timers on missions mod. I would have picked the double timer option but I didn't know it existed.

I like the game a lot, having great fun. I'm a little overwhelmed with the avatar counter added to the chosen stuff, but that has created a more interesting and challenging campaign than vanilla XCOM2.

It has been a tense experience with some tough and close battles like the avenger defense, and some soldiers lost. It's not classic x-com, but I think is a very good fun game.

PD: The avenger defense has to be one of the most intense battles I remember in a videogame. 3 hours fighting without my previously injured medic, fighting with OP pods, the assassin chosen appearing while I'm fighting a group, turrets destroyed, my reaper major escaping acid poison with 1 HP, almost everyone with <33% health... Felt great winning even with 2 lieutenant deaths.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Borian Novice

Borian
    I felt like XCOM was a completely different thing from X-COM, like a reimagining. What makes you say they were slavishly devoted to replicating the magic of the original?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    I really don't want to spend my night digging up old articles, but Jake Solomon was a huge X-COM fan and tried his best to shove as much of the original in as he could. The first prototype was an autistic clone that everyone else at the studio hated and had to be streamlined to get a released game, but the list of things that are cargo-culted over into the new, dumbed-down system are pretty long in XCOM 1: the geoscape, air-game (nonexistent in 2) + interceptors, all the visual and map motifs, most of the enemies, etc.

Obviously it is a re-imagining, but it's a re-imagining that just slightly recontextualizes but includes most memorable things from X-COM that aren't purely systems based. i.e, you have autopsies that actually matter, you have capturing aliens for research (this got totally jettison'd in the sequel), you have the weapon progression, you have the blaster bomb launcher. Even the different alien ships I would argue is a hold-over from UFO Defense in terms of them not really matching the systems and gameplay, but being there because Solomon wanted to include as much as he could. The battleship is totally pointless in terms of gameplay and systems and you don't have to ever do the battleship mission to win the game, but it's there because that ship type was in UFO Defense too, complete with a research from it that is also totally unnecessary.

And I'm saying this as someone who loves all of this stuff. It's all these little details they copied over that make dumbed down XCOM 1 so much more "magical" than XCOM 2.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Yeah, XCOM 2 feels like a different game. They went for more of big dumb hollywood approach, where you play as guerilla rebels and it strips out most of what made X-COM X-COM.
    Apparently Americans are still living through the War of Independence, because the rebels are always the good guys.
    I mean, can you name an American production where rebels are the antagonists? I can't think of one.

No interceptions, no capturing, no scanning, but a whole lot of scripted events, even more so than the first game.

I mean, its a decent game, but it doesn't quite scratch that itch, you know? It gets pretty repetitive after a while, because you know how everything is going to play out.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.