Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 26, 2015.

1. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Firaxis should stop making games entirely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Maxie Arcane

Maxie
    bought the base game coz its like 17 aryanbucks on steam
    i hope im not missing out on anything worthwhile ignoring the dlcs

• No No x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    wait

nu-xcom is a decade old
    :shredder:
    :what:

• Despair Despair x 5
    • Old Old x 3
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    X-Com 3 comfirmed?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    The DLC basically turn the game into an anime. You would probably enjoy it.

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Played both Nu xcoms recently. Pretty decent games but much of the strategy often boils down to spamming overwatch and cautiously triggering pods. there should also be way more variables involved in turns, e.g NOT shooting through each and every wall no problem (should be reduced damage for wall shots, unless special moves), possible wind speed and definite throwing arc for grenades, reduced accuracy when Shaken/panicked instead of losing control that's just lame, and so on.

I found XCOM 2 to be the better game, though 1 had a few things over the sequel, and 2 also had difficulty scaling issues.

I love the base building micromanagement and all that stuff but the combat itself is surprisingly simple and that's not a good thing. For the most part you get one relevant parameter - accuracy, which itself is only modified by firing angles/ranges. Oftentimes not even solid walls are relevant. How hard is it to do a line of sight trace checking for structures when calculating aim? And I guess turns/moves is pretty important too...That's fucking basic. Hyperbole of course but the combat needs a little more. there should be more rules and variables established on the battlefield that need to be kept in mind and accounted for.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    ^ Top  
  8. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    Just bought X-Com 2. God, I hate 3D graphics. It looks like even more of an incoherent mess with grotesquely excessive animation and a ton of translucent interface elements than its predecessor (which I liked with Long War). I wish you could zoom out, fix the camera so it doesn't jump all over on its own, speed it up without making everything flicker so much it might give you a seizure, and play it like Jagged Alliance. It's a pretty decent game fundamentally, but the AAA inanity is killing it for me.

I was trying out the demo for The Last Spell before that, and it's amazing how infinitely more capable indie developers are with those things. No need for huge buttons and special screens, all buttons are super-clear in spite of having more complex content than XCom skills, skill animations look fun but don't take up much time and the game isn't paused because of them, all the tiles are perfectly clear too, enemy turns don't take up a ton of time (and are processed simultaneously!), no camera following your characters for some unclear reason, etc. Replace cutesy SNES Japanese stuff with beautiful 2D a la Age of Wonders, and it would look perfect.
    [​IMG]

P.S. The interface in XCom 2 is so annoying I dropped it for now. Plenty of games are pleasing, no need to spend life on unpleasant stuff just because it might be good under layers of rubbish.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky

3D is bad, tripplee AAA gaammes is bad, me play old game 2d and indie cause it good. (Eric Cartman voice)

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Firaxis XCOM is not UFO just like Firaxis Civ is not Civilization. This isn't rocket science.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    WOTC adds a good amount of fun to the base game tbh.

It's still nothing compared to the 90's versions, and I think you can get through 1 full playthrough without them. But after that the base game becomes really stale and predictable.

^ Top  
  12. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    Uh, yes, except with the explanation why 3D and AAA are bad and 2D and indie is good?

There are unskippable unnecessarily long animations, pauses, flickering translucent layers, and it is done for no real reason other than to seem expensive. Even if you install a bunch of mods from the workshop to cut on that trash, it is still extremely janky and a lot of issues remain. It still insists on taking camera control from the player all the time. Speeding up animation inexplicably also speeds WASD scrolling, such that a click sends you to the other side of the map.

A lot of those issues are quite endemic to AAA games, especially constantly trying to take away control from the player and put it in the hands of some algorithm that knows best.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    There are a lot of 2d Indie games that are garbage, with every aspect of the them being trash. This alone invalidate your generic point about indie 2d games being better than triple A.

^ Top  
  14. Stopped playing XCOM 2 when I realized the only characters I'm getting are dark-skinned soyboys, old men and mannish whores.

XCOM 1 was pretty fun, though.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    IIRC mods might help a little with that
    I may be mistaken though

^ Top  
  16. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You can get lots of custom guys and gals in X com 2 though? I got full Aliens and Predator roster in my game

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Maybe they expanded the roster with DLCs. It was a hideous collection of effette numales and mannish womynz when I last played it.

Can you create/add characters who don't look like a netflix diversity brigade now? Post screens of your rosters.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    You always could, I'm not sure what you're talking about?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ironmonk Savant

Ironmonk
    yes, you can... in fact one of the appeals of x-com 2 during launch was people creating custom character lists. You can find many on steamworkshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...edfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    Complaining about forced diversity in a game where you create the characters. Maybe you are confusing it with Chimera Squad

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Within the limitations of the chargen, durr.

Some of these seem pretty interesting, thanks.

^ Top  
  22. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Oh that's what you mean.
    Yeah the character maker is pretty crap and limited. It's not as extensive as it should be.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. I felt it was that way on purpose. Somehow, no matter how much I tried, I ended up with a team of unlikable diversity hires.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sergiu64 Arcane Sad Loser

Sergiu64

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    So let them get eaten by Chrysalids while rubbing one out to the spectacle if you hate them so much.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    or just give them full face helmets (I don't remember if there's some out of the box, but there must be some in the mod workshop

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.