Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Falksi

Arcane
ayueHnT.png

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always thought the nuiXCOM format would be well suited to capeshit. Troubleshooter is already kinda-superheroish and in a nuXCOM-ish vein and it works very well.

I imagine a nuXCOM/Marvel game would be like a cross between nuXCOM and that semi-decent multiplayer Marvel ARPG from a while back.

Marvel though - yeccch.

J1M

Arcane
Instead of doing something interesting with XCOM 2, like new cthulu aliens from the depths of the ocean, they made most of the enemies human.

The Marvel license should inject some much needed variety, and hopefully that isn't limited to the characters you control.

Mazisky

Magister
Instead of doing something interesting with XCOM 2, like new cthulu aliens from the depths of the ocean, they made most of the enemies human.

The Marvel license should inject some much needed variety, and hopefully that isn't limited to the characters you control.

I think it all depends on how much sandbox they will allow, if there will be pre-written characters and classes you cannot modify, with linear cringy Marvel narrative in the way, then it's doomed because it would just be a branded Chimera Squad, which is a total disaster and the IP is doomed

J1M

Arcane

I think it all depends on how much sandbox they will allow, if there will be pre-written characters and classes you cannot modify, with linear cringy Marvel narrative in the way, then it's doomed because it would just be a branded Chimera Squad, which is a total disaster and the IP is doomed
I don't find much value in choosing between the good skill and the bad skill when a squad member gets stronger. I would be completely fine with no talent tree-style customization. The choice between bringing Iron Man or Hulk on a mission would be more interesting.

Though I also really like the idea of them doing something like The Boys, where you have to equip a squad to take out a specific super hero/villain.

jac8awol

Arbiter
I think we can all see that this game is going to be a mega hit, bring new people into the genre, probably change the direction of tactical turnbaseds and spawn a decade of mainstream commercial products. Some of them might even be decent. Others... well you can control the Suicide Squad and assault Superman's fortress, yeeha.

But all we wanted was XCOM 3 :(

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize Chimera Squad was just their dry run for the project. Dumb XCOM down a bit, insert woke propaganda and see how it's received. It got a mostly positive reception, so adding the glitz of Marvel will knock this thing out of the park.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think we can all see that this game is going to be a mega hit, bring new people into the genre, probably change the direction of tactical turnbaseds and spawn a decade of mainstream commercial products. Some of them might even be decent. Others... well you can control the Suicide Squad and assault Superman's fortress, yeeha.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize Chimera Squad was just their dry run for the project. Dumb XCOM down a bit, insert woke propaganda and see how it's received. It got a mostly positive reception, so adding the glitz of Marvel will knock this thing out of the park.

Hard to see where they could take the actual XCOM story though, I mean it's basically done isn't it?

One thing is that you could combine XCOM with XCOM2 in having a team of XCOM space explorers be the vanguard of alien anti-alien resistance on other planets. That way you'd have the anti-alien-invasion scenario combined with the resistance scenario.

The downside is that you'd be defending yet other aliens, so there wouldn't be the visceral sense of defending your own world that XCOM had. But it might be interesting to explore "innocent" alien cultures that you're helping resist.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Hard to see where they could take the actual XCOM story though, I mean it's basically done isn't it?

One thing is that you could combine XCOM with XCOM2 in having a team of XCOM space explorers be the vanguard of alien anti-alien resistance on other planets. That way you'd have the anti-alien-invasion scenario combined with the resistance scenario.

The downside is that you'd be defending yet other aliens, so there wouldn't be the visceral sense of defending your own world that XCOM had. But it might be interesting to explore "innocent" alien cultures that you're helping resist.
You can always make it similar to Xcom 1 but with managing your space fleet looking to do first strike on whatever aliens Elders were afraid of. Of those enemies could come to Earth and bring a whole new bunch of enemies for us to fight. We could start with Plasma Rifles and then go into Disruptor tech, Antimatter rifles and shit :D It is SF.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Cool ideas. Could even be like humanity lost Earth and XCOM 3 starts off on some distant planet that the last humans fled to undetected, using stolen Elder tech just before Earth fell. They've been there for generations, centuries whatever, just started getting their shit together on the new world, then one day bam invasion time again you losers. "We've already lost one home world. It won't happen again. XCOM 3."

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

We could have had Terror from the Deep, but no, gotta have capeshit instead because of muh wider market. Fucking American corporations.

Norfleet

It will be set 600 years in the future on Earth and you will be playing as sexy mutant pirate gals.
Development on that seems to have kinda stalled up against the limitations of the old engine, though.

J1M

Arcane

-An ancient threat awakens from the oceans to reclaim the earth
-Stargate SG-1 'spiritual successor'
-Defend humanity's first colony world in deep space
-Tactical combat with ships instead of people, Oregon Trail in Space
-Coordinate the defense of several star systems, with an additional logistics strategy layer above the tactical and base building layers

There's lots of great ideas when you don't allow genderfluid alien hybrids into the lore.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's been a few years since I played last and I felt like more XCOM. I downloaded a few dozen mods and kicked off a Legend run.

Strategically it went very well but then I almost wiped on the Avenger Defense mission, got just enough healthy people left for a retaliation mission. But they were mostly squaddies or corporals and the retaliation mission was all about Archons, Mutons and Zerkers. First they killed most of the civilians in like the first 4 turns and in the next 3 half of my squad was dead. Campaign over, out of the blue. Up until then I aced the missions, got maybe 2 rookies dead tops.

Not sure what I did wrong. The Avenger Defense mission was utterly absurd, mountains and mountains of meat thrown my way, peppered with constant disables like Mind Control or Shadowbound. The difficulty spike was retarded. I'm amazed the campaign didn't end right there. I don't remember this from vanilla Legend runs, I guess I overdid it with the mods, some of them might have added some weaponized autism in the game. Or maybe 2K upped the difficulty? Last time I played Legend was shortly after the release, maybe people complained about it being too easy. But holy fuck did I get wrecked like a helpless puppy.

jackofshadows

Magister
The Avenger Defense mission was utterly absurd
I've played w/o mods on highest difficulty a year ago or so and it was also a huge difficulty spike for me, I had to replay it several times not to mention some reloads here and there. Although it was a pretty hardcore experience overall, not gonna lie.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Avenger Defense mission was utterly absurd
I've played w/o mods on highest difficulty a year ago or so and it was also a huge difficulty spike for me, I had to replay it several times not to mention some reloads here and there. Although it was a pretty hardcore experience overall, not gonna lie.

Yeah this mission seems to be tuned for hardcore savescumming. Which I fucking hate. I very rarely savescum, usually after a misclick or when something truly catastrophic happens that would require a campaign restart. But multiple savescumming after every single move? Nope, I don't enjoy that at all.

I'm now reading the only good strat on Legend is to p. much cheese it - run with your Reaper or a cloaked Ranger to the beacon, shoot it a few times with your snipers and lift off. Great design Firaxis.

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm now reading the only good strat on Legend is to p. much cheese it - run with your Reaper or a cloaked Ranger to the beacon, shoot it a few times with your snipers and lift off. Great design Firaxis.
Yeah that's what I remember as well - my Reaper was crucial in this (or two of them). Nah, I think that's ok to tune the highest difficulty around more or less specific set-up or strategy in general.

Could go with the UFO:Afterlight route and have a small group of settlers on another planet awaken alien life and have to make do starting with just ad hoc construction and demolition equipment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom