Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Individual turn order is good when you have a small number of units, like in most RPGs. With too many actors it gets overly finicky. The original X-COM would be a nightmare with individual turns.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Individual turn order is good when you have a small number of units, like in most RPGs. With too many actors it gets overly finicky. The original X-COM would be a nightmare with individual turns.
Even nuXcom would be terrible with individual turns. It does not work on bigger maps. It works well on these small maps with puzzle like design of encounters and abilities.

eXalted

Arcane
Even nuXcom would be terrible with individual turns. It does not work on bigger maps. It works well on these small maps with puzzle like design of encounters and abilities.
This. There is no "better" way to do things.

I hate to say it*, but learn 2 Verge noobs.
I was not caring anymore if Verge is in half or full cover and if he is standing on acid or not. That health regen feelssogood.

Fu7bqq2.jpg

^ Also, the most boringest guy you can have in your team.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What do you guys think of the initiative system for this game?
I am still hesitant about which to use in my game. I think maneuvers are easier to coordinate with full IGoUGo, but alternating initiative phases make it less likely that one side is totally wiped out before it can act (like in nuXCOM, and to a lesser extent OG X-COM).
Do they use an initiative check, or is it round robbin like in D:OS2?

I think it's bad but they had to do it because their soldiers have no attributes, they had no choice.
Please, get a full character creation system with attributes and perks on top of combat skills.

Why not taking a look at the Colony Ship demo for some inspiration instead ?

My problem is that initiative makes even less sense in large maps (where not all characters are present in the same room). Also, the goal is to de-emphasize alpha strike, not to tie it to some stats.
Also, I prefer if you can choose the order yourself, so if I were to make it stat based, I would base it on the commander's tactics skill, and not on the individual units (and have the leadership roll affect how "slots" are shared between both teams).

It worked rather well in Final Liberation actually (and its TT inspiration, Epic 40K), but you could choose each turn who would go next (and there was a tactics skill to retain initiative, and maybe to skip turn in Epic: Armageddon).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My problem is that initiative makes even less sense in large maps (where not all characters are present in the same room). Also, the goal is to de-emphasize alpha strike, not to tie it to some stats.
Also, I prefer if you can choose the order yourself, so if I were to make it stat based, I would base it on the commander's tactics skill, and not on the individual units (and have the leadership roll affect how "slots" are shared between both teams).

Well, you have to pick a system that makes sense for your game, as long as it's not the DoS/Chimera system, it'll be fine.
Also, as everyone said, i prefer the turn per team system for huge groups (Fantasy General/Warbanners style) then again, if you think something that works better for you, it'll probably be fine once vetted by monocled beta-testers.

It worked rather well in Final Liberation actually (and its TT inspiration, Epic 40K), but you could choose each turn who would go next (and there was a tactics skill to retain initiative, and maybe to skip turn in Epic: Armageddon).

I really enjoyed the multi-player mode of Final Liberation (maybe because i was nuking everyone ... Ah, good times ... ) and yes, it worked well but everything has to happen lightning fast if you choose this path.

eXalted

Arcane
His personality isn't great, but mechanically I'm always glad when Cherub rotates into the APC and he definitely changes the texture of combat!
Yes, and he was my guy for rotations too but eeeh, something is just missing in his skillset.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
His personality isn't great, but mechanically I'm always glad when Cherub rotates into the APC and he definitely changes the texture of combat!
Yes, and he was my guy for rotations too but eeeh, something is just missing in his skillset.
Yeah. I don't blame him - he's just front-loaded. He starts off with an awesome ability, and then every level up seems like "his one awesome ability is 10% better".

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah. I don't blame him - he's just front-loaded. He starts off with an awesome ability, and then every level up seems like "his one awesome ability is 10% better".
What lacks for him is the max level ability is just terrible. He had 3 charges so rarely and I would rather use it to do more damage with his AoE melee attack.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I saw someone playing this the other day and it looked pozzed as shit.

Apparently niggers, mud people and gays all team up to with aliens to kill Whitey.

I have just about every X-Com game ever made, but this belongs in a landfill.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
What lacks for him is the max level ability is just terrible. He had 3 charges so rarely and I would rather use it to do more damage with his AoE melee attack.
A substantial accuracy and damage bonus for the entire squad is "terrible"? You don't need 3 charges to activate it, 1 is enough if you can live with the buff lasting only 1 turn, and that is usually enough. Cherub's Overcharge combined with Blueblood's Faceoff(shoot once at each enemy in sigh) was my go-to "I win" button. If you have a good position that can clear a room before the enemy have any chance to act.

ArchAngel

Arcane
A substantial accuracy and damage bonus for the entire squad is "terrible"? You don't need 3 charges to activate it, 1 is enough if you can live with the buff lasting only 1 turn, and that is usually enough. Cherub's Overcharge combined with Blueblood's Faceoff(shoot once at each enemy in sigh) was my go-to "I win" button. If you have a good position that can clear a room before the enemy have any chance to act.
Maybe it works for specific team compositions, I found it useless with Claymore and Godmother or Patchwork as neither of them need accuracy except in breach phase where I used holo items to get that (or Patchwork ability).
Still I cost an action to use it, not worth wasting his attack or shield to get a 1 turn buff.

jackofshadows

Magister
So you'd say Berserkers "keep calm under pressure"?
Well, he's not berserker himself, so maybe he's refered to woman which wasn't presented in the prev games (so img I posted irrelevant) or it all a matter of relativity. Who knows what did actually had in mind Chimera writers?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It actually surprises me how much this entire premise bugs me. The whole point of X-Com is that you have a bunch of random plebs who get tossed in the shredder to fight unknown alien threats until you can finally blow them all to hell. Not that you hang out with them and get relationship advice and watch them in "cute" and colourful ads.

Mazisky

Magister
It actually surprises me how much this entire premise bugs me. The whole point of X-Com is that you have a bunch of random plebs who get tossed in the shredder to fight unknown alien threats until you can finally blow them all to hell. Not that you hang out with them and get relationship advice and watch them in "cute" and colourful ads.

More than 2.000 negative reviews on steam and 4.0 vote on metacritic, most of them complain about that, u 're not alone buddy.

Dodo1610

Arcane

More than 2.000 negative reviews on steam and 4.0 vote on metacritic, most of them complain about that, u 're not alone buddy.

The game has mostly positive on Steam and only 39 negative reviews on Metacritic, that is a pretty pathetic shitstorm:lol:

Mazisky

Magister

The game has mostly positive on Steam and only 39 negative reviews on Metacritic, that is a pretty pathetic shitstorm:lol:

It doesn't change my point. Still >2.000 negative reviews which points at writing and design decisions.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It doesn't change my point. Still >2.000 negative reviews which points at writing and design decisions.
The design is entirely fine as an x-com lite, and for the price point ain't bad (compare with say Dungeon rats vs Age of Decadence).

The writing is real bad though. It's never been good in firaxcom, but it went from passable to negative impact on overall experience with this one (War of the chosen was also comical with the chosen dialogue, but it was a smaller part of the overall experience).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom