Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zorbus (D&D-inspired roguelike)

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You can command a companion to try to disable a trap in the examine-mode (TAB): select the known trap with the cursor, press companion number (1-9). Commanding this doesn't make sense if the companion doesn't have a higher Disable-skill than you. In general, companions will fail at trap disabling unless you somehow boost their Motion-ability and/or Disable-skill a lot.

Similarly, companions will try to automatically disable / force locks after you've failed if they have a higher chance of succeeding. They will use the same method as you did. Forcing locks makes more noise.

Companions won't boost their Disable-skill on level-ups because this would make the player's Disable-skill and traps/locks pointless.

If the player succeeds in trap disabling, there's a chance to gain the trap as a trapkit.
My main is a Warrior. I hired the Elf in part for the Disarm skill. I did what you describe but even after pressing the number it’s unclear which character I’m actually controlling (the companion doesn’t move for instance and isn’t highlighted). I managed to get the Trap dialogue triggered but it still blew up when I tried to Disarm it.

Is this WAI? Is disarming something I can only do with Elf MC? Is most of the game played in Examine mode? Is this where I can cast spells with Witch companion? Or is it intended to just let them cast on their own?

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I did manage to fire off my two healing pots at full health teying to manage inventory lol. What’s the difference between 1-9 and ctrl 1-9 in selecting companions?

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
t07.png

Page 7 of the tutorial which can be opened in-game by pressing H twice. It's also in the game directory as Tutorial.pdf.

For easiness, both numbers 1-9 and Ctrl + numbers can be used in examine mode, but in the main mode numbers are binded to using quickslots, so you need to use them with Ctrl.

You can toggle the companion list with F11 (in main mode, examine mode, autopilot screen).

When you issue a command, companion's state (upper right corner, "follow" and "target" in the image) should change. For disabling commands it changes to "handle". A speech bubble should also appear indicating that they registered the command.

"Target", and "handle" commands can be only issued in the examine mode. "Travel" can be issued in examine and autopilot (P) screens.

Usually you don't need to bother issuing a "handle" command, as companions will try to disable locks automatically after you fail (unless you disable this from the settings).

You can't control companion spellcasting.

FriendlyMerchant

This game has a lot of soul. But it looks like Argentinian pesos would be the currency of choice to purchase this game:
p0UkibF.png

Desiderius

Patron
t07.png

Page 7 of the tutorial which can be opened in-game by pressing H twice. It's also in the game directory as Tutorial.pdf.

For easiness, both numbers 1-9 and Ctrl + numbers can be used in examine mode, but in the main mode numbers are binded to using quickslots, so you need to use them with Ctrl.

You can toggle the companion list with F11 (in main mode, examine mode, autopilot screen).

When you issue a command, companion's state (upper right corner, "follow" and "target" in the image) should change. For disabling commands it changes to "handle". A speech bubble should also appear indicating that they registered the command.

"Target", and "handle" commands can be only issued in the examine mode. "Travel" can be issued in examine and autopilot (P) screens.

Usually you don't need to bother issuing a "handle" command, as companions will try to disable locks automatically after you fail (unless you disable this from the settings).

You can't control companion spellcasting.
Yes I’ve read that page at least twenty times now. I’m having trouble translating it into the game.

Can you move companions? Can they pick up items? I found a nice +1 Shortbow for the Elf. I couldn’t figure out how to pick it up with the Elf or get it into the inventory. I did manage to left click it in my inventory screen and lose it forever so that was convenient.

It says CTRL-E on some screen that worked once but I don’t know how to get back to that screen. I’ve tried it in my inventory screen and it doesn’t work. Ctrl-E is also autoexplore so sometimes it takes me across the dungeon when I try that. I can open companion inventory but so far can’t get anything into it.

I try to keep companions on Regroup but when I press 1 to select my companion then try to move it doesn’t do anything. One time my witch did run three screens away.

I don’t know what autopilot is. Am I supposed to be using Examine Mode in combat? To move? I press 1 to select my companion and nothing happens - no highlight or whatever so I’m not sure what’s happening.

On the brightside I made a Vampiric +1 Falchion for my Dwarf so he owns.

Last edited:

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
You can't move companions directly, but can order them to travel to a certain spot and stay there. This can be done in examine mode and in autopilot screen (opens with P). Autopilot screen also shows a map of the current dungeon level.

When you press companion number in the examine mode, and the cursor is on a tile:
  • If the tile is empty, the companion travels there, then stays there.
  • If there's a hostile creature, the companion attacks it. Companions attack hostiles automatically but with this you can command companion / all of them (number = 0) to focus on a certain target.
  • If it's a locked furniture, the companion tries to unlock it.
In the autopilot / level map screen you can select a place on the map, and the companion travels there and stays there. You can for example move wounded companions out of harms way. This can be done also in examine mode, but you'll see the whole explored map in the autopilot screen.

In the topright corner you can always see what state the companion is in.

If companions have all basic equipment then they only pickup ammunition automatically. You can transfer items to companions and edit their equipment/inventories. Move against companion with Ctrl pressed. A dialog opens up with options to transfer items or edit equipment. You can also do this straight from your own inventory: F11 to switch between companions, Ctrl + E or NUMPAD_MINUS to toggle exchange mode.

2022_10_06_040244.png

Item exchange between you and a companion. If I press Enter now, it transfers the bow to the elf.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Thx, managed to figure out the exchange (have to unequip first), and even how to adjust the quantity of ammo. And found Autopilot in one of the found books. Great feature. What exactly does Stonesense do?

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Stonesense adds another bar under the "xp needed to level up" bar, and show how much of the current dungeon level you've explored. It might be usable in cases where you've all but explored the current dungeon level but can't find that last remaining area, and think that it's better to save a Magic Mapping scroll or a Potion of True Seeing to later levels, where the loot is better. Dwarves get the talent for free, it's not really worthy for others to pick. Even if you don't have the talent, you'll get an indicator and xp when a dungeon level is 100% explored.

Desiderius

Patron
OK, I hit TAB, clicked on the Trap, and hit 2 for the Elf (who gave a verbal response to let me know it was selected), and it says Handle by the pic (where it usually says regroup). What do I press now to actually Disarm the Trap with the Elf?

I can RMB with my MC who just fails and eats the damage/Web whatever but can’t get the companion to interact with it.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
OK, I hit TAB, clicked on the Trap, and hit 2 for the Elf (who gave a verbal response to let me know it was selected), and it says Handle by the pic (where it usually says regroup). What do I press now to actually Disarm the Trap with the Elf?

I can RMB with my MC who just fails and eats the damage/Web whatever but can’t get the companion to interact with it.
Hit ESC to exit examine-mode, then just wait (Z) some rounds or move around, and the elf should go to trap and try to disarm it. Turn-based game, remember? :)
The reason for it not to autoexit the examine-mode is that when you have several companions, you might want to issue several separate commands, especially when in combat.

Turn_BASED

Educated
It’s November and this game still kicks ass. Anyone find a good build to run with a Saurial?

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
zordiac.jpg

• Find the 3 books (This is the Zordiac speaking, vol. I-III), solve the cipher. First one to solve it will get a $50 Steam gift card as a reward!
  • When reading books, press TAB to switch between the script font and a plain font. Book text can be copied into the clipboard with CTRL + C.
  • Check this webpage to see if anyone has yet solved this: http://www.zorbus.net/cipher.txt.
  • Mail the solution to joonas@zorbus.net.
Steam, 25% off

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So I finally got my shit together and am figuring this out. I guess I need to know if animals level up like recruits do? I got 3 elephants that have got me through so far, but not sure if I should dump them for people. They are good elephants.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
So I finally got my shit together and am figuring this out. I guess I need to know if animals level up like recruits do? I got 3 elephants that have got me through so far, but not sure if I should dump them for people. They are good elephants.
Yes, their Health, Stamina, and attack skills get boosted when you level up.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Yes, their Health, Stamina, and attack skills get boosted when you level up.
They ded :negative:

xuerebx

Erudite
Just purchased this, if only to give back to the hours I put in this game for free (before it was on Steam). Hope it's selling well enough :salute:

xuerebx

Erudite
After playing Tales of Maj Eyal for 110 hours, thought I'd try my hand at Zorbus since I'm obviously a master roguelike player.

Anyway, around 50 characters in and deepest I've gotten was twice to level 3, dying against the goblin king. I had an army of recruits but negligently got myself killed.

Not looking for any tips (although feel free to chime in) but will update my progress intermittently.

Also, my go-to 'class' skills are archery since I can keep my distance.

Aemar

Arcane
Anyway, around 50 characters in and deepest I've gotten was twice to level 3, dying against the goblin king. I had an army of recruits but negligently got myself killed.
The game is easier than most of the well-established classics of the genre. Forget the recruits and go melee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom