Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kickstarter for Darkest Dungeon Goes Live

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I want to back this but somebody convince me that the 2D sides-scrolling isn't going to suck ass.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
It looks like the sidescrolling animation is basically there to disguise the way they've gutted the dungeon exploration to bare bones. The main thing to worry about is whether the combat and party management mechanics, which seem to form the core of the game, are enough to support the gameplay.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like the sound of "recruit a team of heroes", as in selected from a list of pre-generated characters. I expect full party creation in a classic dungeon crawler. If one wanted to go in with a party of four plague doctors, that should be the player's choice.
Since the game is about managing the various negative reactions the party has, I can understand why the developers would not want the player to choose those. It seems like the game is more about making the best of a bad situation than creating your own situation.

Dorateen

Arcane
I think the psychological aspect is a neat idea. Would rather the developers took some combination of negative attributes from Realms of Arkania, and the Wizardry 8 personality traits, and let the player make thier own party. In fact, I was just thinking how in Wizardry 8 there were companions who would freak out and refuse to venture into certain locations. That sort of thing, applied to a party of player characters.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Just LARP that the game is rolling the characters for you. The characters are meant to be dying and going insane and being replaced all the time, what's the difference between pressing ROLL or them being generated automatically? Unless you want to min-max your party which kinda goes against the point of the game.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Man, this type of set-up -- darkness, your flickering torch, etc -- just screams to be done in first person. Why aren't they doing it that way?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fuck first person. I dig something that's a bit more original.

Hope the whole psychology will be a bit more involved than knowing that you have to get the fighter drunk in town, the priest absolved in a church and the bard playing in an inn to get them back into shape.

Mystery goal? C'mon :roll:

I like how there is more than just paranoia to contend with, strong willed characters like the Paladin becoming overly abusive to his pussy team members sounds like it could be entertaining. Looks good , will back for my copy, pretty clear it's gonna make it's goal. Too bad the goals get progressively lamer after 200k.

Fuck first person. I dig something that's a bit more original.

Hope the whole psychology will be a bit more involved than knowing that you have to get the fighter drunk in town, the priest absolved in a church and the bard playing in an inn to get them back into shape.
Do you want the party to go into therapy?

How can the psychology angle be fun? Im genuinely interested

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I just want them to go batshit insane.

Seriously? I just hope the whole mental health aspect will be a bit more involved than just sending the right class to the right activity. That's all.

Too bad the goals get progressively lamer after 200k.

Usually the case with Kickstarters. Though I do like the town events and cutscenes goals. Plus hey, Cthulhu.

I just want them to go batshit insane.

Seriously? I just hope the whole mental health aspect will be a bit more involved than just sending the right class to the right activity. That's all.
ohhh ok,
maybe they can leave insane diaries for other parties

Wizfall

Cipher
18 months, even only maybe 6 months ago, i would have backed the game in a heartbeat.
Looks like an interesting TB game and i like the art-style but there are already quite a few TB games available now and more to come.
Moreover i'm in a JA2 replay right now so it's hard to be motivated (not that it's the same kind of game but still).
I may pledge in the end though, mainly because the game looks promising.
And also because if the game industry goes back to the situation it was two years ago, i would regret it "dearly".
Really weird time.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Lovin'it. The concept seems remarkably similar to the P&P system I'm trying to develop in my spare time. Tumbs up!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Looks like they need to start thinking about additional stretch goals.

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't like the sound of "recruit a team of heroes", as in selected from a list of pre-generated characters. I expect full party creation in a classic dungeon crawler. If one wanted to go in with a party of four plague doctors, that should be the player's choice.
The idea is that they are expendable. And nothing prevents you from having 4 doctors, youll be able to recruit up to 20 characters and i doubt there will be that many classes.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The KS says "over a dozen unique playable character classes".

As for the recruiting, etc. ... Think of it like XCOM if you played that.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
I don't really get how the side-scrolling movement would work in a dungeon crawler, seems like it would make the dungeons much more linear to explore than first-person 3D (or pseudo-3D).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom