Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I love it how the Codex created this TB vs RTwP rivalry ex nihilo when it was largely a non-issue.
The 'dex, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. :obviously:

After all, TB vs RtwP is the most important issue in our time besides capitalism am I rite Lacrymas

RangerOne

Literate
Either git quick enough for pure real-time or git smart enough for turn-based. Preferring rtwp means you're both dumb and slow.
> "If you have a PhD in physics, or are at least particularly smart, or are an Olympic gymnast, then you obviously prefer <insert preferred combat mode here>."

I get that some prefer one system over the other, which is perfectly fine, but this ridiculous rivalry is peak idiocy. The assumption that you have to be a brilliant mind to even enjoy certain video games is absurd too. "I prefer turn-based/RTwP, because I am exceptionally smart and skilled" sounds like the Dunning–Kruger effect is in action.

Turn-based is more accessible due to its nature, and that would be the only major difference. Stephen Hawking would have been able to play a turn-based CRPG (or even tabletop DnD), but a RTwP or real time game would have been completely out of the question. Turn-based does require less hand-eye coordination, but that obviously doesn't mean that turn-based is easier, inferior or requires substantially less skill to play. A chess grandmaster is probably smarter and more agile than all of the imbeciles and basement dwellers on the Codex alltogether.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Either git quick enough for pure real-time or git smart enough for turn-based.
Preferring rtwp means you're both dumb and slow.

The implication that you have to be smart for TB... TB without very strict time limits is piss easy, even for the moderately retarded.

The same of course goes for RTwP without pause limits but at least the turns are simultaneous.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
RTwP is more similar to turn-based, in both you have all the time in the world to think. RTS are harder because you have to think fast and the harder the opponent the better decisions you have to make. The hardest, of the three types. If RTwP is for dumb and slow, Turn-based is also.

The fact is you have a higher tolerance for RTwP when you're younger, i know i used to.
And you think "itz bekuz ioure guwd" as the young-tard you are.

Truth is you have a higher tolerance for bullshit, junkfood and everything the world throws at you because it's all new, it's the new fad and why not ? You don't know better.
After years of playing good games and shit games, if you're smart enough, you'll be able to get how deep a good TB combat engine is and how shallow are the RTwP trash combat (although there is some baby "strategy" inside somewhere).

Back to the "now", you're still a young-tard, it might take you years to get all that if you ever do, maybe you're not as smart as you think your are, you probably are not ...

Codex Year of the Donut

The implication that you have to be smart for TB... TB without very strict time limits is piss easy, even for the moderately retarded.

The same of course goes for RTwP without pause limits but at least the turns are simultaneous.
I have a feeling this meme came from people who saw chess clocks but don't understand their purpose.
The entire point of chess clocks is to prevent chess games from dragging on because they have to fit a lot of games into a small period of time. Other than speed chess(and similar) the timer isn't as important.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Except the TB vs RTwP debate is not about speed, so this is hilariously irrelevant. Like I've said multiple times before, TB is faster, just play a Roguelike.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Are we sure that the monsters we are seeing are genuine Mind Flayers?

For all we know, they could be off-brand Brain Slayers.

Brain Slayers are like the fart bag to the Mind Slayer's whoopee cushion.

latest

Harthwain

Magister
There is nothing inherently smart about TB, it just means you have 80 years old reaction time. Larian games are a the biggest proof of that.
Yeah, because real-time-with-a-fucking-pause is so much faster than turn-based... Aren't some of you confusing RTwP with RTS (or any real-time genre without a pause feature)? Maybe play some of them first to have a clue what you're talking about?

passerby

Arcane
The fact is you have a higher tolerance for RTwP when you're younger, i know i used to. And you think "itz bekuz ioure guwd" as the young-tard you are.

Truth is you have a higher tolerance for bullshit, junkfood and everything the world throws at you because it's all new, it's the new fad and why not ? You don't know better.
After years of playing good games and shit games, if you're smart enough, you'll be able to get how deep a good TB combat engine is and how shallow are the RTwP trash combat (although there is some baby "strategy" inside somewhere).

Back to the "now", you're still a young-tard, it might take you years to get all that if you ever do, maybe you're not as smart as you think your are, you probably are not ...

I agree, TB is perfect for senile old people.

Elex

Arbiter
There is no TB vs rtwp argument.

There are only desperate delusional retarded butthurt people.

This is the truth no argument at all.

I mean we know since the announcement about Larian that the game was 5e, TB and 3D with a new version of Dos engine.

the only real question was how close to pen and paper game bg3 will be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom