Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
wish there was a way to set a marked target for your companions or something... getting attacked by a giant rat which does 3 hits of 3-6hp damage and my dudes would rather just shoot normal ass rats that do 0-1hp damage :argh:

Do you mean like hovering over the companions, holding the left mouse button, and selecting the command that allows you to choose the target for them to attack?
;)
The most annoying thing is that you can't tell CNPCs to go from ranged to melee while in combat. :argh:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Can I request a longer buff duration for coffee / tea?
I thought I misread it, but 5 minutes for coffee is just too weak... maybe it expired? I know in real life, coffee would last at the minimum 1 hour for me.
Five minutes...man, that'd be like smelling a very very sharp fart and you really want to find the person responsible and look at them in the eye and show them the depths of hell only to lose interest because you're in a crowded elevator.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
So.. question for after dead city bunker...

I went back to KP3 and there are a ton of ATOM soldiers outside and after the conversation they just stay there and I still have a quest about the dead city bunker but the mycelium fuckers left and dunno what to do

wish there was a way to set a marked target for your companions or something... getting attacked by a giant rat which does 3 hits of 3-6hp damage and my dudes would rather just shoot normal ass rats that do 0-1hp damage :argh:

Do you mean like hovering over the companions, holding the left mouse button, and selecting the command that allows you to choose the target for them to attack?
;)
The most annoying thing is that you can't tell CNPCs to go from ranged to melee while in combat. :argh:

Actually, you can! During your turn, if you left-click and hold, a contextual menu will pop up with the ability to order your NPCs to move to a location, attack a target or take a stance, which they'll do during their sequence, or toggle between hand-to-hand and ranged, which they'll shift instantly.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What exactly does failing to meet the STR requirement of a weapon do? Does it increase both AP required to use it as well as accuracy or just the latter?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

;)

Actually, you can! During your turn, if you left-click and hold, a contextual menu will pop up with the ability to order your NPCs to move to a location, attack a target or take a stance, which they'll do during their sequence, or toggle between hand-to-hand and ranged, which they'll shift instantly.
I knew about the other things, but I distinctly remember the option of having them change to ranged/melee not being there, what the fuck...?
Can I request a longer buff duration for coffee / tea?
I thought I misread it, but 5 minutes for coffee is just too weak... maybe it expired? I know in real life, coffee would last at the minimum 1 hour for me.
Five minutes...man, that'd be like smelling a very very sharp fart and you really want to find the person responsible and look at them in the eye and show them the depths of hell only to lose interest because you're in a crowded elevator.
Camp-based bonuses should absolutely be ~1 hour or so. A piece of cake lasts 15 minutes and is mobile, but that shit can only be prepared by camp sites and last for mere minutes.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
how the fuck do I do this fight in the mycelium bunker? wtf, even if I pre buff like crazy the dude w/ the LMG can kill anyone in one turn since it does like 5x critical hits... WTF?

edit: they allegedly 'nerfed' this in patch 1.06, which I have (according to the main menu) and it is fucking ridiculous. maybe the patch only affects new games

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well, that we did as a choice for the sake of logic and blank slates. Way back when Atom was a sci-fi RPG in Space and you played not as a nameless character you build through a menu, but as Alexander who is now a mere follower, every dialogue started with all sorts of unique lines. Because Alexander had a personality and an attitude. But the blank character of Atom has YOUR personality and attitude, you're roleplaying as him. That's why all the initial questions are neutral. Imagine going up to an NPC and suddenly in place of "Tell me some rumors" you see "Do you wanna know how I got these scars?"... I'd be like HEY!!! Why is he asking this question only to this one NPC and not the rest of them? Why is my player character talking like the Joker? Is it a DC game? Is this reality? I'm larping a character who doesn't have scars! I'm larping a quiet guy who doesn't like to talk about his past! Why are you breaking my character, game?!
That's why we go with a formula "4 basic questions + one special question derived from the looks or actions of the NPC" or just "4 basic questions". It makes you start off neutral, and in most situations you can then pick a reaction that suits the character you're picturing in your head. I think it was a valid choice when playing a blank slate.

While I understand what you mean, I was criticizing something else. Especifically, the inability to go into a conversation with NPCs. For instance, you can ask "What do you do here?", but rarely can you follow that question up with other questions (or statements). From what I've played, there's usually a default "answer" which is basically "change the topic", i.e.

- "Who are you?"
- "I'm Anton, I tend the crops here."
- "Must be boring. Let me ask you something else."

As opposed to, say:

- "Who are you?" (to a man tending crops)
- "I'm Anton, I tend the crops here."
  1. Do you ever get bored of it?
  2. Have you been doing it for long?
  3. Figures.
  4. From the looks of you, that appears to be the best your sorry existence will ever amount to.
And each option could lead to different possibilities. The obvious one is the last one, probably leading to a fight... or not, because Anton has such a low self steem you can keep bullying him or try and convince him to improve. Who knows. But basically most NPCs works as dispensers of info, little interaction, and in most cases I have found all info could be condensed in a single "tell me everything". Sometimes it's best for NPCs to be generic like Fallout's, saying nothing but a single bark.

This is of course a lot of work not even the alleged pros of cRPGs do (only in Planescape: Torment did it ever feel like people were truly human beings that you could talk to and they would talk to you back), it's not my intention to make it seem like the game is bad or worse because of this. It's just an observation: when interactions become so formulaic (click each of the four options, then trade or walk away) you tend to get detached from NPCs and thus they stop being important to the player.

Puteo

Learned

;)

I knew about the other things, but I distinctly remember the option of having them change to ranged/melee not being there, what the fuck...?

That's because it isn't there... when enemies are taking their turn. Then there are only 3 options available. Once it's your turn the other options will show up.

mystery.png

Okagron

Prophet
;)
Holy shit, this is true. You can also tell to go to a specific place in a turn and other stuff. Suddenly the gameplay improves considerably.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
I finished the game, the 2nd fight in the final bunker was a hell of a lot easier than the first one...

the first fight I had to cheese by drugging myself to infinity, putting my companions in the room to the left, and then kite all the enemies to come into the door and we just shot them as they trickled in one by one... 2nd fight went much smoother and made sure to blast the fuck out of those spores before leaving... ending slides were interesting

steam says 37 hours and I didn't do the quests with the Death gang, noticed near the end of my playthrough a potential quest by lenin statue which didn't do.. and never found the car

like how do you get the car?

overall good game and would recommend it, especially to fallout fans, but the last 1/5th of the game really seems kind of ridiculous in terms of what's come before it... anyways looking forward to playing again in the future

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Death Gang is weird. I was just roaming around the map and suddenly the Death Gang attacks me.
Statue of Lenin is on the Krasno Square, Lenin Statue - the Commissar will tell you how to rescue another Lenin statue. The reward is

BDYWCD1.png

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
so the dead city map is covered in radiation and is there anything you can do except eat tons of RAD-X?

Yes visit northern Stalkers base, then institute, then harbor and then base to do all quests there in 24 hours then leave I once ventured into crater it was all gud til protection stopped to work and I died before having time to open inventory lol. You should follow the advice of People there and travel with geiger counter in hand too:

South and East part of map are much less radioactive then rest.

Comrade Atomboy the rate in which you meet the gang you have bounty on is too low there unlike Death Gang I needed to load several time before they were encountered. The fight is very hard but doable and thus very satisfying when you do succeed. Any word on Sequel btw? Would love to play game located in Siberia with its radioactive forests, mutated bears and tigers and of course Jakut Shamans.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm pretty sure that this is something called vodcast.

What a pretentious pseudo intellectual faggot Fallout was for children cause muh advanced modern civilization can't be toppled. Fag should buy a ticket to Detroit or Ferguson or just buy the book about Bronze Age Collapse in fact modern civilization is even more fragile cause 70% of people now live in cities and have no idea how to farm or hunt for sustenance; add to this all those enrichersimported in past 60 years and there will be massive nation scale riots 72 hours after trucks stop to deliver the food to supermarkets shelves. Medieval Societies soldiered on because they were far more homogeneous and socially coherent than mess we have now and they were hit by plague alone no foreign invasions and climate change. Stopped to listen in half what a cunt.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What a pretentious pseudo intellectual faggot Fallout was for children cause muh advanced modern civilization can't be toppled. Fag should buy a ticket to Detroit or Ferguson or just buy the book about Bronze Age Collapse in fact modern civilization is even more fragile cause 70% of people now live in cities and have no idea how to farm or hunt for sustenance; add to this all those enrichersimported in past 60 years and there will be massive nation scale riots 72 hours after trucks stop to deliver the food to supermarkets shelves. Medieval Societies soldiered on because they were far more homogeneous and socially coherent than mess we have now and they were hit by plague alone no foreign invasions and climate change. Stopped to listen in half what a cunt.

a partial destruction would still be able to recover. if the whole world is ablaze though, especially industrial countries (countries where industrial infrastructure dont exist or limited wont make too much of a difference imo) it will set us back several hundred years probably. the problem is with our modern factories, you need a modern infrastructure that need to be made, surprise! with another infrastructure.

the most we will be able to recover is probably the early 19th century or mid-late 18th century industrial level where they do work with simple machinery made by hand and labor mostly done by people instead of computerized robots. because making computer chips with hand is really hard. we really have to start again from the beginning if factories are unusable.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
or Ferguson

Don't, I was reading western news around that time and accidentally saw newspost that Negroes there killed some white guy with a hammers.
It was some poor guy who just married american girl a couple monthes ago and he was Croat or something like that. It was few weeks after main incident.
And of cource, only small local sites wrote about it - it was nobody of importance, just some white guy hammered to death, probably in front of his wife.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Patron
Found more balanced review:

Yes its game and not for causal crowd but as long as game sells good enough to fund proper sequel its actually plus for Commissar; making popular games for consoltards and raking in big shekels this is what actually corrupted studios like Bioware and Bethesda onto popomolism.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

The only thing I agree is in the end of video about Russians not being Russian culturally.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Is this Pope Amole II ? I can barely believe what he’s saying about Fallout’s role playing systems. This is a game where your skills and especially stats exercise real control over every single conversation. This shit does not exist in the golden age games he’s praising as superior. Dark Sun was great, but there are only a handful of CHA and INT checks (IIRC you get experience for passing them so they’re not hard to count).

Every quest in Fallout can be completed via the stealth, speech, murder troika of playstyles. That’s great design. He even says there’s very little choice, which is insane. Fallout may not be as satisfying for someone who prefers CRPGs where you go around exploring and murdering people with blocks of stats, a la his beloved Might & Magic. But the late ‘90s put the role playing back in role playing games and it’s ridiculous that he can’t seem to appreciate that. Maybe Fallout was a jock game in Russia, but that was not the case in the west. Also, who cares if lots of people cheated and played Fallout 2 as a murder simulator? That doesn’t diminish the game’s many positive qualities when played without cheatengine or extensive metagame knowledge.

As for his musings on civilization... Jesus. Someone should tell him that Southern California IS a desert like australia. That’s where I stopped. Too irritating. I’m going to eat a cookie and go back to sleep.

D!!

Educated
Ughhhh, potion that allows talking to the animals is pretty retarded. Why is it even in the game? It's not even an Easter egg. Am I missing some kind of non-magical explanation for this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom