Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Interview bored me but unlike Tim and Leonard I don't have to hide that behind thin, more pity then courteous, corporate smile. I found out more about Tim Cain's chocophobia then about Outer Worlds and interviewer's resting soy face taunted my fist for 11+ min. Guy really thinks he's starring in a sitcom. Painfully unfunny. Might be master's modesty but Cainyarsky duo seemed more interested in hype control then building, like they're trying to tell us that game will be ok, even good! but don't expect any daring and bold yet flawed masterpiece like their Troika games are known which Leonard's answer to Troika being both best and worst company he worked for and their games being 'cult hits' but not 'successful games' serves as best evidence for such my claim. At least Tim doesn't hate his own Fallout child that much here, unlike last time he even said that its gameplay still holds up. Mega loled at clueless journo who implied that same game in isometric format would thanks to said format take mere month to do. What's with Tim sounding so quiet, like a gnome on his deathbed, had to turn volume up every time he spoke?! Also I'll tackle and safely eliminate from your sight that evil chocolate bar for you, papa Tim!

TLDR version: Get HYPED boys and girls, Tim and Leonard are back in saddle and will scratch action RPG itch that Bethesda refuses / forgot how to. Just don't get hyped too much, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. Too much. Halfway between Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, that's how much RPGy will it be, if my intuition doesn't lie. It'll be good and good is not bad which is ok, right?

P.S.
Never expect too much from old guard devs. They just look and feel so much emotionally and creatively drained by life and commercial failures of games that should have sold millions. You'd be better off investing your RPG hopes in smaller devs, some could even be found here at Codex like RatTower's Monomyth and DavidBval's upcoming Archaelund. And Styg. Let's not forget master Styg!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You won't get better against them stats wise, you're essentially debuffing yourself to get better at something else entirely.
Basically, the game tracks something you supposedly suck at. Let's say lizards always damage you, with such flaw you receive even more damage from lizards, but get a free perk point. You're limited to 3 flaws, with 2 added on hard mode.

Sounds like Cainarsky have been watching too much Rocky 3. So if I play my character as an Italian and deliberatley lose to super mutants that look like Mr T - do I get some kind of racial enemy bonus against black dudes damage bonus against super mutants and come back in the closing act of the game to beat the shit out of them?. WTF?.

I still don't get it. So is it like lobsters? You know, lobsters fight to gain hierarchy and if they win their seratonin levels go up and they stretch out and prance around like MR T, but if they lose they curl up like Rocky after he lost Mickey. But if you pump anti-deprssants into the lobster they feel as though they won anyway...so it's like the free perk.

So maybe Cainarsky have been watching too much of Jordan Peterson; because he talks about lobsters like this a lot.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Through it, cringy as all heck (due to the interviewer). No real new information as far as I could hear.

I didn't find it cringy. I thought Cain and Boyarsky were funny in it and I think that's the whole point of the video to show them without the PR guys feeding them every answer.
You know what would be funny. If they launch The Outer Worlds without bugs. That would be funny.

Molina

Savant
They have a lot of self-derision, I hope their game is similar to them.

Don Peste

Arcane
Oh, I love them so much. I think at this point I don't care about the game anymore. I just want to see them talking.

But yeah, poor interview due to poor questions and a bad interviewer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know this is the Codex where everybody LARPs as a Republican, but it's okay for a dude from Finland to not be completely in sync with the US racial lexicon

Anyway, it looks like Game Informer have a policy of not uploading their videos to YouTube until a day after they publish them on the site. No YouTube no newspost!

Codex Year of the Donut
I know this is the Codex where everybody LARPs as a Republican, but it's okay for a dude from Finland to not be completely in sync with the US racial lexicon

Anyway, it looks like Game Informer have a policy of not uploading their videos to YouTube until a day after they publish them on the site. No YouTube no newspost!
Obsidian shouldn't get newsposts for snubbing their only fanclub

HarveyBirdman

Liturgist
Obsidian shouldn't get newsposts for snubbing their only fanclub
MDfX4bX.png

Space Nugget

K69dPiay

Inside, you’ll find 14 pages chock full of new details, screenshots, and art from The Outer Worlds. We learned about the distant Halcyon star system that serves as the setting. A new demo showed off new playstyles for confronting encounters, including a surprising approach that focuses on leadership and companions. We learned about leveling, character progression, and skill acquisition – and saw the hilarious shrink ray weapon in action. We also spoke extensively with the developers at Obsidian about the scope and size of The Outer Worlds, the comparisons to Fallout, and more.

Space Nugget

131 Rapid-Fire Questions About The Outer Worlds

With Game Informer's new cover story on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds, we're diving in deep and explaining everything we learned about the upcoming RPG. While visiting the studio, Joe Juba sat down with co-directors Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky and asked them 131 rapid-fire questions about The Outer Worlds' gameplay, companions, scope, and (since they created the original two games) the origins of Fallout. Check out the video above to watch the most informative interview you'll ever see about The Outer Worlds... and chocolate.

They didn't upload the video to youtube yet, so you'll have to follow the link to watch it. It's quite funny IMO. :P

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Absolutely hilarious video those guys are really funny but no real new info except no hacking minigame

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
131 Rapid-Fire Questions About The Outer Worlds

With Game Informer's new cover story on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds, we're diving in deep and explaining everything we learned about the upcoming RPG. While visiting the studio, Joe Juba sat down with co-directors Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky and asked them 131 rapid-fire questions about The Outer Worlds' gameplay, companions, scope, and (since they created the original two games) the origins of Fallout. Check out the video above to watch the most informative interview you'll ever see about The Outer Worlds... and chocolate.

They didn't upload the video to youtube yet, so you'll have to follow the link to watch it. It's quite funny IMO. :P

The actual interviews are not there, right?
Only the 1min trailer it seems.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Someone here mentioned how there's no darker games being done, I for one, welcome the more light hearted and colorful games, but I don't trust most current writers and designers to make such a game either. We'll see how The Outer Worlds turns out, but I'm not holding my breath, given how Pillows of Eternity 1 and 2 turned out. Pathfinder: Kingmaker strikes a very good balance between the more light hearted and more serious stuff, I hope Cainarsky can get the writing team into the shape to deliver something similar in tone...and I keep harping on this, something similar to The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

Quillon

Arcane
Rewatched the thing, looking for new info I didn't enjoy it as much yesterday but damn Cainarsky are hilarious.

no new info
They mention a "Supernova" difficulty mode that allows things like companions to permanently die and lets you take more flaws.
Also a 2019 release is guaranteed.

Also the game's gonna be good! Guaranteed! Personally, by Leonard. Don't wanna see heretics around here from now on.

No radio confirmed. Newspaper better be there...

Non-human companion confirmed, bet its a robot, a robo-dog! oooh and Dogmetal's the name!

No co-op for this or next game.

And the game won't have one bug!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was surprised that they're that committed to no multiplayer, even in a sequel.

But maybe I shouldn't be. After years working on MMOs and Diablo, Tim and Leonard just don't want to deal with multiplayer ever again.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But maybe I shouldn't be. After years working on MMOs and Diablo, Tim and Leonard just don't want to deal with multiplayer ever again.
Quite possible.
I also feel that nowadays, the expectations for multiplayer games are so high that it is nigh impossible to meet them if the game is not exclusively (or primarily) multiplayer. Something "tacked on", which used to work in games a decade ago or older just doesn't do it anymore.
In other words, if you're going to do it, you have to do it really, really well and that might just be out of reasonable funding possibility.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I was surprised that they're that committed to no multiplayer, even in a sequel.
I'm certain this medium sized singleplayer RPG developer has a good reason for not including co-op in their game with time stop mechanics, (possibly negative) reactivity towards dialogue choices, a reputation system, non-essential NPCs, and multiple quest outcomes.

Quillon

Arcane
Quite possible.
I also feel that nowadays, the expectations for multiplayer games are so high that it is nigh impossible to meet them if the game is not exclusively (or primarily) multiplayer. Something "tacked on", which used to work in games a decade ago or older just doesn't do it anymore.
In other words, if you're going to do it, you have to do it really, really well and that might just be out of reasonable funding possibility.

Thing is there is no saturation in the single player bethesda style FP-RPGs, even if there are more people interested in multiplayer, co-op etc. its perfectly viable to not cater for them. Which might be the reason why so few tried to replicate bethesda games(Warhorse and ?), thinking they'd make better money off online components. Bethesda didn't really compete with anyone up until now even tho CDPR and Bioware makes "AAA RPGs", they are so different experiences from bethesda's.

the new Lara Croft is a good balance between womanly and realistic look.

Too ugly to be Lara Croft imo. They should have hired a better looking actress. They already stripped her from sexy outfits and shit, at least make her beautiful. And more athletic FFS, if you are gonna be a one woman army at least look capable.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Warhorse and ?)
Ubisoft?

Too ugly to be Lara Croft imo. They should have hired a better looking actress. They already stripped her from sexy outfits and shit, at least make her beautiful. And more athletic FFS, if you are gonna be a one woman army at least look capable.
Well, I don't know what you imagine under beautiful, but the new Lara is fine by me. She looks young, healthy, and fit.

Quillon

Arcane

Maybe with this upcoming Far Cry they'll try to tap into bethesda's market but I doubt they'll have dialogue choices and shit tho I'm hearing they have added many "RPG elements" :P

Well, I don't know what you imagine under beautiful, but the new Lara is fine by me. She looks young, healthy and fit.

Besides facial beauty which I find lacking, she is young yeah, healthy I guess unless she has a hidden disease, short & slim; considered "fit" maybe but not athletic. Take Gal Gadot as WW f.i. she looks the part; athletic & tall, even tho she has magical shit to rely on.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you're referring to AC Odyssey with Ubisoft, it's much closer to Witcher 3 than Skyrim/FO4.
Elex & KCD are probably the only other games that fall into that same area.

AC Odyssey is good for what it was though and a pleasant surprise. Easily the most unexpected 2018 title for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom