Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is there any use for super steel if i'm playing as a sneaky crossbowman with 0 tailoring?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
havcent found energy edge either,its prob expansion only.
yeah you get access to shop quickly in expansion, managed to buy edge with q100.

Same with stingball grenades+blueprint if anyone wonders.

I saw plasma mine blueprint in core city but I have yet to find plasma grenade. On similar note I havent seen yet insect pesticide for that new nice gas grenade
I chose coretech for my playthrough and got my plasma grenade blueprint there. I think that might be the only place you can get it aside from where the wiki states, which is in the research place level 7

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The bad news is that I just lost a job.
But the good news is that I fucking finally have time to play Underrail: Expedition!

The good news is that I just got a job :)
But the bad news is that ... I probably start next month therefore I can still have time to fuck around until then.

Losing a job sucks. Good luck and I hope you land on your feet.

Edit: I need to grind two levels to get Gun Nut before I start the Expeditions content. I hate this shit.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I forgot to ask Dan about Kevin. Seems like killing the beast removes this dialogue option, locking you from Kevin's shop:negative:

Parabalus

Arcane
You can see the void horrors if you take The Juice, so their HP becomes visible.
As soon as I used a juice, it was literally braindead. For some reason my attacks weren't working without it. And the shield emitter helped a ton too, thanks Black Angel

Edit: Anyone have the map cords for the second shadowlith?

They work beforehand, you can check if you use a Juice after using the torch once.

It's in the native temple, a cave in the village in the upper corner, can't miss it. Follow the coast from the graveyard / JSH.
what sort of edge/electro shock generator quality do coretech offer?

Breddy gud, goes into the 140s I think. I dunno how much effect Mercantile special inventory privileges have on it, but it's definitely nice to have.

It goes up to 160 with the mercantile special inventory.

Black Angel

Arcane
so... crabs. especially psyker ones. As a knifer i love the introduction of enemy with extremally high mech+electricity dt. Expose weakness can no longer be bypassed i guess as I found grenades not effective enough... unless plasma are the way to go?

Are they resistant to energy too? Didnt craft energy edge yet but I already found out that 10% penalty is rounded up... Quite pricy on energy cost too.
The crabs are definitely not resistant to energy. I think the energy edge emitters were meant for knifers and even non-blunt melee when going against those crabs.
You can see the void horrors if you take The Juice, so their HP becomes visible.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Is that why I could suddenly see
Magnar in his spirit form? I thought destroying the Black Rock will prevent him from resurrecting, so I just leave him there. After some time, I returned there after riftwalking to expedition camp, and saw him in his spirit form. Most probably because the Second Sight is still in effect.
Also, Hoddurform is actually really strong if you do Thought Control. Keep it on your off hand and switch to it when you want to nuke people with a Locus of Control + Premeditation + Neural Overload Combo. Accompany that with a few grenades, and no one will be left alive.
I think overall Spirit-Staff is better because of psi cost reduction and 40% extra critical damage. But I guess Hoddurform is even more OP if paired with Psychosis + Psionic Mania.
I forgot to ask Dan about Kevin. Seems like killing the beast removes this dialogue option, locking you from Kevin's shop:negative:
He'll just tells you about it after talking to him again. I didn't even had time to ask him about anything, when I initiated conversation for the second time he just throws the secret out into the open, probably out of being pissed off by Kevin :lol: though I'm not sure if he'll do that after defeating the Beast, but presumably as long as you didn't tell him about Gorsky's plan it should still be possible.

Wunderbar

Arcane
He'll just tells you about it after talking to him again. I didn't even had time to ask him about anything, when I initiated conversation for the second time he just throws the secret out into the open, probably out of being pissed off by Kevin :lol: though I'm not sure if he'll do that after defeating the Beast, but presumably as long as you didn't tell him about Gorsky's plan it should still be possible.
that's the problem, i told him about Gorsky and asked him to help with the Beast.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
For everyone's information, you start to be able to reliably see crawlers before they see you at about 15 Perception and Stealth 219.

I'm not even joking, and even then, usually not fast enough to react in real-time or if they beeline for you in TB.

You're supposed to be able to pickpocket more if the target does not detect you, but I've yet to ever experience being able to be close enough to someone to pickpocket in time without being detected. Stealth, relative to the investment necessary for it to be useful, is probably not worth it.

That said, it's made many areas much, much easier, and although I can't pickpocket anyone hostile, it's often enough to just slip past them.
I even managed to infiltrate the Grey Army base and steal an oddity - Čutura - which I suspect you're normally required to kill the entire base for, because holy shit I had to run back and forth for that one and dodge into vents with enemies on orange, even with 200+ Stealth. I only managed to find 2/3 Grey Army medals, so I'm nourishing a faint hope that I'll run into them again later.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
For everyone's information, you start to be able to reliably see crawlers before they see you at about 15 Perception and Stealth 219.

I'm not even joking, and even then, usually not fast enough to react in real-time or if they beeline for you in TB.

You're supposed to be able to pickpocket more if the target does not detect you, but I've yet to ever experience being able to be close enough to someone to pickpocket in time without being detected. Stealth, relative to the investment necessary for it to be useful, is probably not worth it.

That said, it's made many areas much, much easier, and although I can't pickpocket anyone hostile, it's often enough to just slip past them.
I even managed to infiltrate the Grey Army base and steal an oddity - Čutura - which I suspect you're normally required to kill the entire base for, because holy shit I had to run back and forth for that one and dodge into vents with enemies on orange, even with 200+ Stealth. I only managed to find 2/3 Grey Army medals, so I'm nourishing a faint hope that I'll run into them again later.
Pretty sure you need not only Ninja Looter but even some spec points in it in order to be able to reliably pickpocket enemies... it doesn't quite feel like it's worth it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Pretty sure you need not only Ninja Looter but even some spec points in it in order to be able to reliably pickpocket enemies... it doesn't quite feel like it's worth it.
Oh, just for reference, I already have Ninja Looter. When you're just immediately adjacent to an enemy, even with 200+ Stealth, initiating pickpocketing is too slow for the "reduces suspicion by 25%" to kick in in time, and detection just rises too fast for 25% to even be relevant.

It's like "Great, I'm detected in 1,25 seconds instead of 1 second, after having spent 0,5 seconds initiating pickpocketing instead of 1 second!". You could probably reduce pickpocketing time by 75% instead of 50% and lower suspicion while pickpocketing by 50% instead of 25% and I'd still not not be convinced that it'd be enough to matter.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I only managed to find 2/3 Grey Army medals
picked up 2 from containers and 3rd from the officer in the northwesternmost office in the headquarters, the only one I happened to kill

as for pickpocketing, mental breakdown helps

Black Angel

Arcane
that's the problem, i told him about Gorsky and asked him to help with the Beast.
No, I mean before you told him about Gorsky's imminent assault Black Crawler's base. Even if you tell him about Gorsky, as long as you haven't told him about Gorsky's assault, he should still stay in Foundry. Thus, he should randomly throw around Kevin's secret the next time you initiate conversation with him. Though, now that I think about it you need to ask him about Foundry, to which he would reply that he's not interested to talk about it. But the next time you initiate conversation, he changed his mind and talk about Kevin as his answer.

If you're completely locked out of this content.... maybe we can ask Styg and co to do something about it.
I did it with 6 Perception, Paranoia, 65% detection goggles, and stealth ~110. Though only as long as I'm somewhere 'behind' the crawlers and not in their direct vision cone. Obviously it's almost impossible to actually do this, so yeah, high PER + high stealth, preferably with good gear to enhance your stealth and detection capabilities, maybe even with Paranoia, it should be possible to see stealthed crawlers before their detection turns red.

Death Stalkers, on the other hand...

No? Ninja Looter probably gave you that impression, but reading the wikipage and tried doing it myself by quickly create a new character with 10 DEX and maxed initial level Pickpocketing, I can do pickpocket stuff just fine from NPCs... provided their detection meter isn't too high for my skill. You see those meters filling up based on what kind of items you steal? Those are their 'suspicion' meter, how much they fill up is based on their detection stats and your pickpocketing skill.

As far as I know, being in stealth affecting suspicion meter at all is only possible once you have Ninja Looter, but I don't know. But if you want to be able to steal from hostile NPCs while still in stealth without being detected, you can use some traps dipped with poisons that affect victim's perception and detection capabilities.
It should be possible to do some pickpocketing around the Grey Army Base without even having to be in stealth. Though you probably gonna need some Persuasion to reliably walk around without being bothered by anyone

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
picked up 2 from containers and 3rd from the officer in the northwesternmost office in the headquarters, the only one I happened to kill

I'm not a psionic, unfortunately. But doesn't that reveal you, though? If it can be done without counting as an attack, that makes a good case for a psionic thief type of build, because there's so many times you want to sneak past something and wish that there'd be a way to incapacitate someone without murdering them.
No? Ninja Looter probably gave you that impression, but reading the wikipage and tried doing it myself by quickly create a new character with 10 DEX and maxed initial level Pickpocketing, I can do pickpocket stuff just fine from NPCs... provided their detection meter isn't too high for my skill. You see those meters filling up based on what kind of items you steal? Those are their 'suspicion' meter, how much they fill up is based on their detection stats and your pickpocketing skill.

As far as I know, being in stealth affecting suspicion meter at all is only possible once you have Ninja Looter, but I don't know. But if you want to be able to steal from hostile NPCs while still in stealth without being detected, you can use some traps dipped with poisons that affect victim's perception and detection capabilities.
Ah, fair enough, I was thinking that suspicion was the detection eye thing. And I can pickpocket NPCs just fine, too, but I can't pickpocket (potential) hostiles. I can also only assume that you need to be in undetected Stealth for the Ninja Looter modifier to the Pickpocket-suspicion-meter to work, and although I can pickpocket NPCs just fine, they detect me almost just as fast as enemies do, making the modifier moot.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It should be possible to do some pickpocketing around the Grey Army Base without even having to be in stealth. Though you probably gonna need some Persuasion to reliably walk around without being bothered by anyone
How? They are all hostile to me, and always were, and immediately turn hostile the second any of them see me. Are you sure we're talking about the same place?
The place Dude takes you when learning rift-hopping.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

I'm not a psionic, unfortunately. But doesn't that reveal you, though? If it can be done without counting as an attack, that makes a good case for a psionic thief type of build, because there's so many times you want to sneak past something and wish that there'd be a way to incapacitate someone without murdering them.
yeah, good for taking stuff off loners, and was my go-to during Abram's prison-break mission to take the cell key off the guard

but since it counts as an attack, and the way the game registers it, it counts as a breach of NAP and you can't disguise yourself anymore during your stay at the Gray base, no matter if you wore a disguise or not when you initiated the use of force
How? They are all hostile to me, and always were, and immediately turn hostile the second any of them see me. Are you sure we're talking about the same place?
The place Dude takes you when learning rift-hopping.
they turn hostile immediately if they detect in you stealth, I think - if you wear a disguise, don't act autistic, keep your distance, or don't linger for too long if you get close behind them, they're neutral as long as you're not found out

Wunderbar

Arcane
Bolt quiver is ridiculously good for my build. Cyclon crossbow with pneumatic reload, this belt and Adrenaline shot grant me ability to shoot 5 times per turn. 20 levels, almost finished the base game. How come I haven't seen it before? :argh:

No, I mean before you told him about Gorsky's imminent assault Black Crawler's base. Even if you tell him about Gorsky, as long as you haven't told him about Gorsky's assault, he should still stay in Foundry. Thus, he should randomly throw around Kevin's secret the next time you initiate conversation with him. Though, now that I think about it you need to ask him about Foundry, to which he would reply that he's not interested to talk about it. But the next time you initiate conversation, he changed his mind and talk about Kevin as his answer.
there is no "tell me about Foundry" option, unfortunately.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Bolt quiver is ridiculously good for my build. Cyclon crossbow with pneumatic reload, this belt and Adrenaline shot grant me ability to shoot 5 times per turn. 20 levels, almost finished the base game. How come I haven't seen it before? :argh:
Some belts are oddly rare. I just found a "Doctor's Pouch". White quality, and all it does is give an extra utility slot (which all belts seem to do), and reduce "medicine" consumption AP cost by 75% - which sounds like a lot, but all medicine only costs 10 AP to use, and if you don't have 10 AP to spare for an emergency heal, you probably don't have 3 AP to spare either, or whatever. Found it in the middle of nowhere, in one of the tunnels. Point is, I don't understand why it's so rare, while Trapper's Belts and Utility Belts are ubiquitous. Same with the shotgun belt (similar to the much more common Bullet Strap Belt), which I think I've also only seen once.

Parabalus

Arcane
Pickpocketing is really good, lots of items and money.

Nice to see SGS reacting to you killing Ethan, quality stuff.

First time I used caltrops and traps, shit is really over the top. You don't even need skill for it, and it can be bought from merchants.

Just kill them all, you need to trigger the alarm to get the spec ops armor below dominating anyway.

Some belts are oddly rare. I just found a "Doctor's Pouch". White quality, and all it does is give an extra utility slot (which all belts seem to do), and reduce "medicine" consumption AP cost by 75% - which sounds like a lot, but all medicine only costs 10 AP to use, and if you don't have 10 AP to spare for an emergency heal, you probably don't have 3 AP to spare either, or whatever. Found it in the middle of nowhere, in one of the tunnels. Point is, I don't understand why it's so rare, while Trapper's Belts and Utility Belts are ubiquitous. Same with the shotgun belt (similar to the much more common Bullet Strap Belt), which I think I've also only seen once.

If you're hostile to the pirates in expedition, almost all of them have a belt. Pretty good way to get one.

The doctor's pouch is guaranteed in the arena, and the game rounds down to 2 AP.

Is that why I could suddenly see
Magnar in his spirit form? I thought destroying the Black Rock will prevent him from resurrecting, so I just leave him there. After some time, I returned there after riftwalking to expedition camp, and saw him in his spirit form. Most probably because the Second Sight is still in effect.

Yep, that's the reason. He just has to be nuked with the torch, nothing else to it (sadly).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there any use for super steel if i'm playing as a sneaky crossbowman with 0 tailoring?

Of course no.
But it's not the best idea to play crossbows without tailoring, you need movement, and need a lot of ot, and it comes from infused hopper leather armor.

ciox

Liturgist

Oh, just for reference, I already have Ninja Looter. When you're just immediately adjacent to an enemy, even with 200+ Stealth, initiating pickpocketing is too slow for the "reduces suspicion by 25%" to kick in in time, and detection just rises too fast for 25% to even be relevant.

It's like "Great, I'm detected in 1,25 seconds instead of 1 second, after having spent 0,5 seconds initiating pickpocketing instead of 1 second!". You could probably reduce pickpocketing time by 75% instead of 50% and lower suspicion while pickpocketing by 50% instead of 25% and I'd still not not be convinced that it'd be enough to matter.

Yeah I posted about this on the forums I think.

The main problem with stealing from enemies is you cannot possibly have enough time to decide what to steal that is both worth it and won't create too much suspicion, before you get detected...
When stealing from friendlies there is no detection timer, and when stealing from containers, you can enter combat in order to take your time and steal what you want to steal and slowly and carefully without triggering detection.
If you try to enter combat while pickpocketing an enemy, the pickpocket window will be closed, so you are shit out of luck and have to randomly spamclick items when pickpocketing enemies and hope for the best, even with Ninja Looter.

Doctor's Bag is very, very popular, it reduces med costs to 2 AP so you can use 5 chems instead of 1. Great if you have a lot of "trash" chems to shove up your butt like Jumping Bean, Aegis
Most reliable way to get Doctor's Bag is from Arena I think... the Surgeon should carry it, just loot him before the fight ends.

Oh god I forgot all about the Shell Strap Belt, why is that belt so bad, it's also rare and completely separate from the bullet belt too. I even made a thread about it https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3773.msg21372#msg21372
Okay fine, you can now use a Forward Grip to reduce pump shotguns' AP cost to 20, but even with that the calculations are still terrible.
The only way the Shell Strap Belt would be worth using over other belts is if it reduced shotgun reloading cost to 0, no joke.

ciox

Liturgist
But it's not the best idea to play crossbows without tailoring, you need movement, and need a lot of ot, and it comes from infused hopper leather armor.
i'm using rathound king's armor.

XXSdaG8.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
With expedition there's also Phantom Dancer which is a step up from rathound regalia. Death's Grin and Pacifier are also pretty good for uniques.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom