Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Can someone explain why the choice and consequence is even worse than witcher 3 here, even though they had more budget? Did they squander it all on marketing or something? Why is making a proper rpg that hard for companies?

Marketing/paying a lot for dev/Hollywood stars do not cost little/a lot of voice-acting etc.

Investment return is also much higher on the latter - player tracking tools have discovered that most people don't even finish, let alone replay games. Investing in C&C (especially Witcher 2 like branching in the middle chapter) simply doesn't pay off.
that double middle chapter in witcher 2 is still one of my favorite example of C&C, incline in it's purest forms, sad it's probablly not worth it money wise I guess.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Investment return is also much higher on the latter - player tracking tools have discovered that most people don't even finish, let alone replay games. Investing in C&C (especially Witcher 2 like branching in the middle chapter) simply doesn't pay off.
flawed logic which has been disproved by josh

Roguey

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Can someone explain why the choice and consequence is even worse than witcher 3 here, even though they had more budget? Did they squander it all on marketing or something? Why is making a proper rpg that hard for companies?

Marketing/paying a lot for dev/Hollywood stars do not cost little/a lot of voice-acting etc.

Just take a look at Bethesda. They had a lot of time and achievments to analyse, and apparently came to the conclusion that average player focusses on the mainquest. If he even finishes it. Average max level being 20. Up until Skyrim they didn't even bother putting enemies scaled higher than that in.

Now remember that gamespot girl saying she didn't do sidequests because they weren't essential and what AAA studios have as expectations from their target audience...

Sad.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Can this game be considered cyberpunk? Because I was under the impression that it was a dystopian genre. That, visually, it was supposed to be futuristic combined with run down and dirty. The city here looks pleasant, actually. I just find the art direction kind of bland. Just futuristic combined with neon lights. Ridley Scott's cyberpunk still looks more impressive. His cyberpunk city is covered in darkness and rain, because of the pollution, which forces many of its citizens to wear gas masks. There are artificial animals, with real snakes being rare and very expensive. There is hellish overpopulation, expressed in that scene where Deckard chases the snake lady. Meanwhile, the roads in CP 2077 are pretty empty. Scott's movie has commercials about the off-world colonies, "a chance to begin again," apparently because of how hopeless the situation on Earth is. Like CP 2077, it has a few punks walking around in punk fashion, but it goes further with all the other stuff. It's truly dystopian. This city just isn't.

As I've made mention of before, this particular type of cyberpunk is way too heavy on the "everything is sexy and stylish" and not enough on the stuff that matters especially on the dystopian front.

This game is a good reminder of what is wrong with cyberpunk today and that is it's used more as a fashion statement and the dystopia/downtrodden are occasionally brought up. Night City looks like some sort of gay rave, not a bustling hellhole.

Gerrard

Arcane
Also, have to cap my FPS at 40fps on medium settings sans film grain, chromatic aberration, and depth of field and all the ray tracing shit, with a 1060 GTX 6gb, Ryzen 7 Eight-core 3.70 GHz, and 32gb DDR4. Is there a particular setting that's dragging my performance down that much, or is it just time for a new video card?
Have the same setup. Seems high 30ish FPS is the highest you will get with a 1060. The benchmarks at Tomshardware also showed this.
I am kind of mad, as they promoted the GTX 1060 6GB to be the recommended card for 1080p medium settings. Seems like they think the console experience of 30 fps is the way the game is meant to be played.
lol no, they said it was for 1080p High

Even if it was for 30FPS you won't be getting stable 30 on High.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
flawed logic which has been disproved by josh

Roguey

By Josh you mean Josh Sawyer, director of POE2? Yeah, that game definitely outsold CP2077. :lol::lol::lol:

Reinhardt

Arcane

that double middle chapter in witcher 2 is still one of my favorite example of C&C, incline in it's purest forms, sad it's probablly not worth it money wise I guess.
Dafug are you talking about? What "double chapter"? Witcher 2 was so shit i didn't finished it even once.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I would love to buy the game but Gog is (hilariously) down. I'd rather give 100% of the profits to the crazy Polacks but if they'd rather I send 30% to Gabe and his Silicon Valley overlords, I guess that's what I'll do?

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Dead city :positive:

photomode_10122020_054bky5.png

photomode_10122020_05bbjpk.png

Tag spam all mf that said dead city based on leaks LOL

Codex, codex wrong yet again.

meanwhileInPoland

orcinator

Liturgist
Btw, bullet sponginess is pretty ok right now (on max diff) after doing a bunch of those generic police activities (kill gangers and loot everything, basically). Haven't even chosen any damage perks. That's with doing activities where the danger is said to be moderate. Curious how things are going to go during the next car chase scene... That'll be the real test.
Encounters are mostly just boring though. You have so many options and the enemies just don't work that well.

Also getting quite a lot of money now. So much for the economy being tight in this. Reviews that mention it were full of shit.

Feeling real optimistic about that.
I chose a random High Threat encounter as my first fight after the post prologue mission.
Oh man what a crock of shit, enemies were eating mag after mag(before they used their own heal inhalers) and would chew through my health if I ever stepped out of cover. Retarded as fuck too so I could just plink at them from a corner while they struggled to find out how to return fire.
Melee is completely unviable in this situation (until you get something that can stunlock fuckers or become overleveled)

flabbyjack

Arcane
Yeah, it sucks, but capping it at 40fps and turning some unnecessary shadow setting down to low have made it smooth enough, yet still very attractive to look at. Hopefully we get some optimization patches in the coming weeks, but I'm not so spoiled that I can't enjoy myself with my current settings. Thanks for the response for comparison!

PS - The jazz radio station in the game is not only the best, but really good. Highly recommend.

Tom's HW metrics were true after all. We had hoped that the benchmarks were based on the Denuvo'ed review copy, which reduces performance.
I built a custom rig for this game back when its release date was April 2020, so much time has passed that maybe I'll be able to hit 60fps.

PS - Jazz sucks. Are there any punk rock stations?

BarbequeMasta

Learned
that double middle chapter in witcher 2 is still one of my favorite example of C&C, incline in it's purest forms,

What "incline" is in having to endure a shit game twice to see locked content?

sad it's probablly not worth it money wise I guess.

Good. Shit like that is not worth it my time wise, above all.
Wether TW2 is good or shit has nothing to do with this, don't be a dumbfuck. the point is that offering diverging paths that are different to the extent is one of that most meaningfull C&C you could get, far better than a piece of gear or a slide at the game's ending.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I'm an idiot. I went off doing all sorts of side quests and levelling and thought I had infinite ammo. Then I went back to do the first quest after returning home at the very beginning of the game and the cyber implants gave me an ammo counter.

I have hundreds of rounds of pistol ammo.

mondblut

Arcane
Wether TW2 is good or shit has nothing to do with this, don't be a dumbfuck. the point is that offering diverging paths that are different to the extent is one of that most meaningfull C&C you could get, far better than a piece of gear or a slide at the game's ending.

Being forced to play through a shit game twice in order to see the "diverging paths" that make maybe 5% of its content at best has everything to do with this.

Thank god for reloads and cheats that allow us to flush that fag "replayability" down the toilet and cockslap the entitled dev cunts who think their crap is worth being played more than once (if at all).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whether TW2 is good or shit has nothing to do with this, don't be a dumbfuck. the point is that offering diverging paths that are different to the extent is one of that most meaningfull C&C you could get, far better than a piece of gear or a slide at the game's ending.
It's not smart C&C, however, as you are essentially creating two games at the same time. What you need is variations within set parameters. Changing maps around, making scenes go differently, starting you at a different location, having more or less guards, etc. And only in extreme circumstances give you a different mission. It might not be as flashy, but it's more realistic and it doesn't feel like wasted resources from a development point of view.

Israfael

Arcane
Can this game be considered cyberpunk? Because I was under the impression that it was a dystopian genre.
Well, it's in a trend with all the remakes - compare the original robocop and it's travesty of a reimagination, same goes for Ghost in the Shell (the action movie) and so on. The writers/ directors 40 years ago actually understood what happened in the world while the current generation lives in their sheltered communities and honestly believes that cyberpank is about weird fashion and neon mohawks and robocop was a dead serious drama about a cybernetic cop and corporate overreach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom