Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Well, second DLC sure was easier than first. I even ended up taking a long break and then lowering difficulty to UV for first DLC after second level left me completely exhausted. And was still dying a lot. The boss fight was some really annoying bullshit too with those fucking lasers. Then played second DLC on Nightmare and it was much easier than first one on UV. The only thing that gave me trouble was second wave of second escalation encounter, because it was in a cramped arena reminiscent of first DLC arenas. New enemies included in TAG2 were also a lot less irritating than Spirits or Blood Maykrs and the Hammer was really useful.

Overall I had more fun with the second DLC, at least based on first playthrough. That might change but my initial reaction is that challenge in TAG1 is more annoying than fun. And that thing used to be even harder? I can only imagine what a nightmare it must've been for complete casuals. I've seen posts of redditors complaining they couldn't even finish it on lowest diffculty. :lol:

Israfael

Arcane
And that thing used to be even harder?
Afaik they already returned most of the cut stuff in the last patch apart from some annoying tentacles, but I haven't done TAG1 recently. TAG1 is actually easier than both Taras Nabad and World Spear MLs (if you do the last one, save at least two shots of bfg for the last fight (two sledge thingies and marauder), it will save you so much time instead of going tryhard mode on that. If you want some decent but not too hard challenge, just go for the Mars Core ML, it is basically how the main game should have been in terms of monster sets and difficulty.

And the piñata mechanic is over the top. Shoot monster till it flashes, press E to receive health or C to receive ammo.
It should have been called Eternal Noob Filter, I guess

Ash

Arcane
Anyone else think the game is straying a bit too much from the original Doom atmosphere? Doom 2016 had some standout levels like Argent Facility that really felt like Doom levels. Dark, non-linear, very industrial and kind of foreboding. Eternal goes too much in the World of Warcraft direction for my taste. I much rather preferred if they went the Dark Souls route.

Doom 2016 may have had slightly Doom-inspired level design in like two instances, but it is still largely inferior to it and serves better as its own thing in Eternal form: inclined arena shooter which it excels at rather than lame Doom clone.

Ivan

Arcane
Reflecting on my first DLC1 playthrough

Excellent. Loved the new levels: the UAC Transatlantic playspace was a nice mix of interiors + exteriors with tougher encounters throughout. The Blood Swamp was a particular highlight as they featured more novel gameplay elements and my favorite boss encounter yet. The Holt was a nice re-take on Urdak.

Loved the new enemies they added: the Blood Makyr functions like a mobile turret and the Spirit has a wonderful double function of being both a buff totem and a ticking time bomb for you to disable the moment the host "dies."

As I sharpened my skills on master levels, I almost forgot that you DON'T have the Crucible to fall back on in DLC1. There's plenty of BFG ammo around to help you out of tight spaces, they even throw Double 1ups your way to help you through.

Excellent, ultraviolent stuff. I found most of the music to be "typical" or "expected," fitting nicely into the heavy combat but nothing out of the ordinary, save for one excellent ambient track that I'll be adding to my library. I do hope for some more creativity in DLC2 or the next Doom sequel.

My hopes for DLC2 (will start that today after the dayjob)

-really looking forward to a proper 1v1 boss fight
-a crucible replacement would be cool
-more environmental hazards like in Blood Swamps/perhaps bring back the fog like in the master levels
-I'd like to see more creative use of the slow-down purple water, I think it could be a fun hazard to have in the environment

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Anyone else think the game is straying a bit too much from the original Doom atmosphere? Doom 2016 had some standout levels like Argent Facility that really felt like Doom levels. Dark, non-linear, very industrial and kind of foreboding. Eternal goes too much in the World of Warcraft direction for my taste. I much rather preferred if they went the Dark Souls route.
YOU THINK!?

toughasnails

I'm hoping that if the rumored MachineGames Quake SP reboot is indeed happening, and if it is indeed inspired by Quake 1, it will go for that game's grungy aesthetics. There was definitely a movement towards more shall we say WoW-like, semi cartooney, style in Quake maps from Arcane Dimensions onwards and there is even some of that aesthetic in some maps from MachineGames' Quake expansion that was developed for the remaster but I would imagine that a distinct aesthetics and tone would be effective way to differentiate new Quake from the new Doom right from the start.

Ivan

Arcane
Isn't it more likely for that to be helmed by the Doom team? I thought MG was doing the next Wolf + that Indiana Jones thing

Israfael

Arcane
the Blood Makyr functions
... like a run-ender and extra-lives turbocharged burner, I think I've lost more runs and extra 1-ups in the horde mode thanks to those wonderful gentlemen as compared literally to anything else. And to think of it, they've been nerfed in one of the patches after DLC1 got released. Those nerf dind't fix their projectiles going through solid objects and teleporting around corners literally half the time /rantoff

Israfael

Arcane
My hopes for DLC2 (
The real highlight of it is the World Spear master level, it's not just as hard as SGN or TN master levels, but is also like 3x longer (one of the major fights there takes like 10-15 minutes to finish and there's so many mobs so that sometimes monsters randomly despawn (usually happens to spirit-ed mob for some reason))

Ash

Arcane
Oh no not platforming. How dare a modern game reintroduce what was once a standard tenet of FPS gameplay in the 90s. How dare it utilize the third dimension in an interactive manner! I long for the flat planes of Wolfenstien 3D!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The only saving grace of nu-Doom has always been that it's actually hard and requires high skill and dexterity, which is a change of pace from typical modern popamole shooters. Also notable that zoomer normies were able to cope with this just fine, showing that this whole obsession with simplication and dumping things down was always all in the heads of production companies.

Everything else was always questionable and only got more questionable with Eternal.

All we can hope for is that the masses of normies out there didn't actually like the change in aesthetic from Doom 2016 to Eternal, because they certainly aren't going to listen to fans of classic Doom.

The best case scenario is that they make a Quake game and that it would be grim dark. Most likely, neither of those things are going to happen.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
There's a difference between moment to moment high intensity, high skill gameplay and the kind of gameplay that asks some more agency and autonomy from the player. NuDoom is actually the perfect game for the zoomer generation: It's relentless, constantly pushing you from encounter to encounter, with some basic platforming sections to keep you busy during what little downtime there is. A poor attention span is not going to be to your detriment. It's the types of games that do ask the aforementioned of the player that were justifiably (in the eyes of the suits anyway) dumbed down and simplified. Good luck asking a "normie zoomer" to read or, god forbid, use some basic deductive reasoning without the game doing it for them.

Ivan

Arcane
Finished DLC2

The first thing I noticed was the more "post-Disaster" settings: reclaimed Earth and even the World Spear were actually quite beautiful environments to do battle in. As a finale of sorts, I was bit disappointed to see that the new enemies added to the roster were mostly just variants or reskins, that said they did encourage me to add new wrinkles to my game (auto-shotty/remote detonation for RPG). I had an easier time with this DLC, although I was super happy to see the return of the mini gore nests, and their harder optional variants. I thought Id did a nice job selling the spectacle leading to the finale, but I was left disappointed by the actual boss fight. I was hoping for a proper 1 v 1 fight, perhaps with some environmental hazards. What I got was more of a Marauder-like encounter with some summons peppered in. Wasn't a fan of the mech suit but at least he's no pushover.

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into Horde mode, dabble a bit with Battlemode, finish the rest of the Master Levels, then give the campaign another spin with a different play-mode, and see how far I get in an Ultra Nightmare run.

-Bug: one encounter in Hell didn't load properly, it just spawning Zombies lol a quick reload fixed the problem

favorite banger of DLC2

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Doom 2016 may have had slightly Doom-inspired level design in like two instances, but it is still largely inferior to it and serves better as its own thing in Eternal form: inclined arena shooter which it excels at rather than lame Doom clone.

Still doesn't justify fucking with the atmosphere.

toughasnails

I... actually liked Eternal's environments. They remind me of UT maps, sort of grand scale combination of fantasy architecture and hi-tech. Some of them even look like something that would've fit in the latest UT.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
After an eternity, the DLC's denuvo was defeated.
So what was that about the difficulty?

A sad day, because this allowed me to play the "demo" of this game and oh boy...

I never expected Doomguy would one day be raped and impregnated by Super Mario yet HERE WE ARE.

Platforming, ridiculous ammo limits, scripted fights (either kill this demo like we told you or it becomes an unkillable bullet sponge, lel), 1234545 gadgets no one asked for, a plethora of upgrades, runes and whatever the fuck.

Fuck this game. Doom 2016 set a pretty low bar and this turd still fails to clear it. I won't even bother complaining about the story because AT LEAST they had enough sense to allow every cutscene to be insta skipped, every wall of text can be ignored, etc.

I knew I should've uninstalled the moment I noticed punching does 0 damage.

Ivan

Arcane
interesting to see how different folks react to Doom Eternal's "git gud" ethos. I get it, different strokes for different folks. I myself absolutely loved how it gave me that familiar high that Platinum's third-person action games do. that frenetic, manically paced flow of dodging, attacking, target re-prioritization, resource management. absolutely stoked for whatever comes next.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not about it being git gud, it's about it being git gud with retarded, random arcade mechanics that have nothing to do with Doom's original identity. As far as I can tell, people who really like Eternal just don't care about Doom's identity.

soulburner

Cipher
The sad thing is Doom Eternal is absolutely gorgeous. The engine programmers and artists did an amazing job. The gameplay sucks balls. I like my jumping puzzles in first person shooters, but this is just preposterous.

This is why I do not want the current id Software team to rape Quake by doing a reboot. Please, don't do this.

Ivan

Arcane
It's not about it being git gud, it's about it being git gud with retarded, random arcade mechanics that have nothing to do with Doom's original identity. As far as I can tell, people who really like Eternal just don't care about Doom's identity.
I hear you, change is scary. Sometimes we want more of the same, sometimes we are mentally ready to accept something that adds in new spices to the mix. Funny, I actually replayed Doom 2016 b/c I had no real lasting memory of it, and I think it's b/c it didn't take enough risks for it to stand out from being a solid shooter. Doom Eternal felt like a much bolder title, proud of what it is and flaunts it (even more so in the master levels). I get that the way Id chose to encourage the player to stay in the fight is not to everyone's liking, but goddamn did it create one of my absolute favorite combat loops in any action game I've played, shooter or slasher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom