Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

⊃∪∩⊂ Awakening - Funcom's survival MMO

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Survival MMO Dune: Awakening takes place in an 'alternate' timeline​

Dune: Awakening is set in the year 10199 AG, Bylos said, which is about eight years after the events of 2021’s Dune film. But in the MMO, those events won’t play out quite the same way people familiar with the books or films will remember them.

“It’s similar to the books, but we’ve gone with an alternate history, like a ‘what-if’, if you want,” Bylos said. “We worked closely with the Herbert [family] and Legendary [Pictures], and we found a point, a single point, the single pebble that starts a landslide.”

This point, said Bylos, represents “where if just this one thing was different in the universe then it would change a lot of what comes after, and change it in a way that makes for more of a virtual world kind of experience, where players can see all the familiar things that they’d expect to see.”

Bylos unfortunately wouldn’t tell me specifically what that ‘pebble’ of story was (“I’m not allowed to talk about that yet,” he said) or how changing it would result in an alternative timeline. But this change is meant to allow players in Dune: Awakening to interact with characters from the books they otherwise wouldn’t be able to because “a lot of major characters die” early on in the story.

“If you’ve seen the first movie, you can expect many of those characters to exist in the story of the game,” Bylos said. “I could give an example that’s very clear: Duke Leto is still alive. You can meet Duke Leto.”
Interesting choice.
Jessica doesn't give birth to Paul? Rabban crushes the Fremen? Paul fails the Gom Jabbar? Paul is killed by the Hunter-Seeker? Duke Leto escapes Baron Harkonnen? Emperor Corrino is usurped by Baron Harkonnen and the landsraad?

I enjoyed Conan Exiles way more than I expected.

Paul fails the Gom Jabbar would be my bet :)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Notfuncom again trying their two left hands on an IP they will successfully manage to sink where the pockets of their investors are deepest. It should've given them a clue that their most competent (for lack of a better word) game (ditto) was also their own IP.

I mean, get this (from the Wikipedia article).
Unlike many other MMORPGs, there is no need to stop to use most of a character's attacks and abilities
It just took them until 2012 to arrive in 1996.

But Norwegians aren't learning animals, something they share with their brothers in Iceland. So they've regressed back to 1986. Despite being alive, Frank certainly wouldn't have approved of this game back then.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
It this really an MMO? Or it's just like Conan where you can play solo / create your own server?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It will be shit like all their games. Classic FunCom half baked crap, now with crafting and survival and insane amounts of grind and walking.

ADL

Prophet
It this really an MMO? Or it's just like Conan where you can play solo / create your own server?
End of each trailer they've put out says "a Dune open world survival MMO" but who the hell knows when Destiny is considered one by Bungie too these days.

Harthwain

Magister
End of each trailer they've put out says "a Dune open world survival MMO" but who the hell knows when Destiny is considered one by Bungie too these days.
Funcom is publisher and developer for Conan Exiles, so there is some hope they will keep that model for Dune Awakening.

I hate pay-to-play model. I'd rather buy the game and play it whenever I wish, without having to worry about "wasting time" on doing anything else than playing the game due to subscription running out. This is my number one reason why I stopped paying attention to MMOs. It is even worse when I don't have that much time to play nowadays, so I also hate needless grind.

Zeriel

Arcane
Funcom is publisher and developer for Conan Exiles, so there is some hope they will keep that model for Dune Awakening.

I hate pay-to-play model. I'd rather buy the game and play it whenever I wish, without having to worry about "wasting time" on doing anything else than playing the game due to subscription running out. This is my number one reason why I stopped paying attention to MMOs. It is even worse when I don't have that much time to play nowadays, so I also hate needless grind.

They have said (at least as I recall) the players count will be much higher this time and it will have factions, so I am doubting it is the private survival server model, as much as I would prefer that.

MMO doesn't mean pay-to-play subscriptions, btw. If anything it's a pretty rare format by this point in time. However what makes it the kiss of death for me as opposed to survival game model is no player customization of the server rules, and the financial structure means if it's not a hit, the servers will go offline and that's it, no more creating your own server and no more playing the game.

Harthwain

Magister
They have said (at least as I recall) the players count will be much higher this time and it will have factions, so I am doubting it is the private survival server model, as much as I would prefer that.
"Rival factions" might be NPC-oriented though (Harkonnens, Atreides, Fremen, Smugglers, Sardaukar/Emperor, etc.). You could be establishing "your own faction" as a new rising power on the planet between all the existing ones (sort of how Paul did, although he just hijacked the Fremen).

However what makes it the kiss of death for me as opposed to survival game model is no player customization of the server rules, and the financial structure means if it's not a hit, the servers will go offline and that's it, no more creating your own server and no more playing the game.
Indeed. I am interested but vary for now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I so far like the art direction and the base concept of starting out as a no one seems at least mildly interesting. And I'm always a sucker for anything sci-fi, consider me mildly interested.

jungl

Augur
Its funcom all they do is grab established IPs and make very low effort style over substance games with them. Its gonna be a tiny map survival game with 40-50 players not a actual mmo.

d1nolore

Savant
I’m sure it’ll suck because MMO’s suck. But if they knew anything about what’d be good they use Battlezone 2 as a template and make it multiplayer not MMO.

Lhynn

Arcane
I’m sure it’ll suck because MMO’s suck. But if they knew anything about what’d be good they use Battlezone 2 as a template and make it multiplayer not MMO.
They already did conan exiles as a multiplayer, and its their most successful game today. Dont know why they dont stick to that.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Running around Arrakis in a SLEEVELESS shirt, head and face fully unprotected during broad daylight mining some rocks.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Great attention to detail and source material. :hahano:

Self-Ejected
Open world mmo pvp centered. Most likely will flop and is a shame as i am a huge Dune fan. Problem is the pvpers of today are not like the pvpers at the time of Ultima Online they don't seek competition they seek griefing this is why almost all pure pvp mmo ended either to have safe zones or relegate pvp in certain areas or flop.

Harthwain

Magister
Running around Arrakis in a SLEEVELESS shirt, head and face fully unprotected during broad daylight mining some rocks.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Great attention to detail and source material. :hahano:
I am guessing that's a new character. Later in the trailer he goes around properly decked. I wonder if they're going to model how unforgiving the Arrakis' climate is? It has "Open World Survival MMO" and this in the description:

On Arrakis, water is life. Learn where to find it in the world, how to extract it from bodies, and exercise water discipline by maintaining your stillsuit. Choose where to craft and develop your shelter to survive sun and sandstorms.

They already did conan exiles as a multiplayer, and its their most successful game today. Dont know why they dont stick to that.
Isn't this pretty much Conan Exiles in Dune setting? As long as they do enough stuff for solo players to be satisfied, I reckon it will be OK.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I ran a private Conan Exiles server for a couple of months and this looks like a carbon copy as far as I can see. What's the difference?

9ted6

Educated
340790-1626897812401.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao the guy with the lasgun (i mean mining laser) in the first trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom