Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top Ten Vintage RPGs Poll Results

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Betrayal at Krondor; Dark Sun: Shattered Lands; Darklands; Dungeon Master; Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen; Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen; Pool of Radiance; The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall; Ultima Underworld; Ultima VII: The Black Gate; Wizardry VII: Crusaders Of The Dark Savant

Last month, the esteemed Deuce Traveler conducted a poll to determine the Codex community's top vintage RPGs. "Vintage" in this case being defined as any RPG released before the original Diablo, which is as decent a cutoff point as any. Here at last are the results, including his overview of the top ten.

The results are in, and our top ten RPGs released before Diablo are as follows:
  1. Betrayal at Krondor (Dynamix, 1993)
  2. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (Looking Glass Studios, 1992)
  3. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (SSI, 1993)
  4. Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (Sir-Tech Software, 1992)
  5. Darklands (MicroProse, 1992)
  6. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Bethesda Softworks, 1996)
  7. Ultima VII: The Black Gate (Origin Systems, 1992)
  8. Pool of Radiance (SSI, 1988)
  9. Might and Magic: World of Xeen (New World Computing, 1994)
  10. Dungeon Master (FTL Games, 1987)
Full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yPVPK340xDHVEVKG7N8qlf4HT1SmtjHZKkwQUF_5up0/edit#gid=0

I admit I was surprised when Betrayal at Krondor took the top spot in our poll, but it makes a lot of sense in hindsight. Published in 1993, I dismissed the game when it first came out because of the horrible portraits which would have been laughed at by an amateur cosplayer. However, when I gave it another try I found a much deeper game than I expected. It’s got an open world with tons to explore, puzzles that are difficult but not ridiculously so, and tactical combat that gives the player a lot to experiment with as the party’s abilities increase. It is also respectful of the deep lore the game is based upon as it stays loyal to author Raymond Feist’s writings. And the ending is so damn dark with a character that dies courageously but forgotten. There's something for everyone here. A worthy winner that should satisfy the various factions of the Codex.

Ultima Underworld took the second spot. An amazing technological achievement when it was published in 1992, Ultima Underworld revolutionized first person gaming and directly led to other great games such as System Shock, Descent, Terra Nova, and Thief. This is a single-character, first-person, real-time RPG where the player has to navigate eight levels to save a damsel in distress and escape a dungeon. It sounds pretty cookie cutter, but the brilliance of the game is the multiple ways you can go about solving its various quests. It’s up to you whether to negotiate with the denizens of the dungeon or wipe them out. You can focus on hand-to-hand combat, magic, use ranged attacks, or take a hybrid approach. There are also many hidden areas and it’s doubtful that new players will find all there is to discover on their first playthrough.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands won the bronze medal. Published in 1993 in a disastrously buggy state, I think of it as SSI's swan song. It's a game that could have saved SSI if they'd polished it for a few more months. Shattered Lands had complex character creation, dialogue choices with consequences, a large library of spells and special abilities, and tactical combat. Technologically, it is the perfect bridge between the Gold Box series and the Infinity Engine developed half a decade later by BioWare. I want to live in a reality where it was commercially successful and we all got to enjoy five or six years of RPGs made using its engine and development team.

So a party-based tactical RPG heavy on story, a first-person RPG with an emphasis on exploration and environmental interaction, and a Dungeons & Dragons game with choice and consequence. Let’s look at some of the other games on the list. Wizardry 7 is our highest ranking blobber and is considered by many fans to be the best of the series and the peak of David W. Bradley’s career. Darklands came in at a surprising 5th place, and is a great open world RPG whose selling point is that it's set in medieval Germany, albeit a version where all of Catholicism's supernatural fears actually exist. Daggerfall is the second game in the Elder Scrolls series, in which you assume the role of an agent who has to track down and decide what to do with a superweapon that can destroy entire armies.

Ultima 7 came in seventh (heh). This is the last game in the Ultima series worth mentioning in polite company, which allowed for all sorts of game-breaking environmental interactions, such as throwing diapers at people. Pool of Radiance was both the first and highest ranking of the Gold Box games, with the best character progression in the series. Might and Magic: World of Xeen is a worthy open world blobber that concluded the Corak saga. And coming at 10th place is Dungeon Master, the game that created the real-time blobber sub-genre.

Each of the games in the Top Ten revolutionized the RPG genre in some way. Most of them were published in 1992 and 1993, with Dungeon Master from 1987 being the oldest. In terms of sub-genres, we have two first-person action RPGs in Ultima Underworld and Daggerfall, three blobbers with Wizardry 7, World of Xeen and Dungeon Master, and tactical RPGs such as Betrayal at Krondor, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, and Pool of Radiance. Ultima 7 and Darklands stand out for their exploration and expansive lore, but also due to their distinctive real-time combat. I would definitely rate all of them as must play games. These games are more than just historic curiosities. They still hold up today, especially with the prevalence of modern indie titles with similar aesthetics.

Note: Exile 3 was included in the voting and made it to 20th place in the rankings. Afterwards, we found out that it may have been published shortly after Diablo, but kept it on the list to respect those who voted for it.

For the curious, the voting and discussions took place in this thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-codex’s-best-computer-rpgs-pre-diablo.141231/

Many thanks to Deuce Traveler and his Ring of Prestigious Gentlemen™ for putting this together. And now, you may discuss!

Skdursh

Savant
So... basically... just the same wankery that everyone always votes for, we all knew everyone would already vote for and we all already knew would be picked thus rendering the poll itself mostly a waste of time except for its emotional value as "remember the good old days" memberberries for the warm fuzzies as opposed to anything actually useful?

Next up: A poll asking users to vote on what the first 10 positive integers ascending from 0 are.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Glad to see this is up and thanks for all who participated! There were some surprises in there, such as Exile 3 making it to #20 or Princess Maker 2 and Conan getting as many votes as they did. I mentioned it before, but I'm still shocked Disciples of Steel didn't do better.

If someone wants to make a linked online poll like felipepepe does for his best CRPG votes it might also prove illuminating.

Humanophage

Arcane

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Out: Codexers don't play games released before 1997
In: Codexers don't play games released before 1992

:despair:

Pretty much. I appreciate your efforts Deuce Traveler, but to me the poll is pretty much invalid because 80%+ of the people participating haven't played anything before BoK. I proposed a solution to this in the original thread (only allow certified oldtimers to vote who actually played a substantial amount of pre-1990 games), but people were not interested.

For anyone interested in the "true results", just check the votes of mondblut , Fowyr , Zed Duke of Banville , Deuce Traveler , Lady Error and a few others I forgot. Or even simpler, just take the sum of the CRPGAddict's "must play", GOTY and "highest rated" lists and then you have a list of the best classic games (unranked, because rankings are meaningless -- I explained that too).

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Blobber is still a stupid term, and comes off as a forced meme. It doesn't describe anything and thinks it is far wittier than it actually is.

It's a tryhard "look I'm cool" term that groups a bunch of quite different games in a single category going by a relatively unimportant (and highly questionable) attribute.

Zeriel

Arcane
So... basically... just the same wankery that everyone always votes for, we all knew everyone would already vote for and we all already knew would be picked thus rendering the poll itself mostly a waste of time except for its emotional value as "remember the good old days" memberberries for the warm fuzzies as opposed to anything actually useful?

Next up: A poll asking users to vote on what the first 10 positive integers ascending from 0 are.

It may be a little late for most, but I remember decades ago using such lists to find games to play. You'd be surprised. There is probably someone reading this who goes, "I never played that, I'll give it a try now." That was certainly the case with the famous top 100 RPGs article of years ago. This one is not going to have that much exposure, but eh, if it gets one person to play one of these games that's enough.

Zeriel

Arcane
Glad to see this is up and thanks for all who participated! There were some surprises in there, such as Exile 3 making it to #20 or Princess Maker 2 and Conan getting as many votes as they did. I mentioned it before, but I'm still shocked Disciples of Steel didn't do better.

If someone wants to make a linked online poll like felipepepe does for his best CRPG votes it might also prove illuminating.

Princess Maker 2 is actually a surprisingly rich and fun game if the theme doesn't entirely turn you off. It's Rance Sengoku tier in terms of being the outlier in the series that has lasting power and is fun even eroge set aside. Alchemy Meister is like that too--I actually liked its gameplay more than the sex.

Blobber is still a stupid term, and comes off as a forced meme. It doesn't describe anything and thinks it is far wittier than it actually is.
the term used by everyone else in the world is dungeon crawler
https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/

Dungeon Crawler is used for a ton of games though. It's not very specific. You'll see it used for any game that is primarily about... well, crawling through dungeons. So a lot of action games get lumped in. It's true blobber is an enthusiast term, but at least people know what it refers to.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dungeon Crawler is used for a ton of games though. It's not very specific. You'll see it used for any game that is primarily about... well, crawling through dungeons. So a lot of action games get lumped in. It's true blobber is an enthusiast term, but at least people know what it refers to.

This is the one and only true definition from the the dungeoncrawlers.org About page:

The primary purpose of this website is to give the fans of "first-person grid-based games with 90 degree turning" a place to discover new ones to play, or maybe rediscover lost gems.

I for one 100% boycott the term "blobber"; these categories are much more useful (in the sense that people will actually know what the hell you're talking about):
  • DM-likes
  • Wizardy-likes
  • Gold Box like games
  • etc.
You might as well say "old-school RPG" instead of "blobber" as it carries about just as much information (not much). No one would be any wiser whether it's RT of TB, 90-degree turn of free-movement, does it have top-down view combat, single person or party based, etc.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Whoever did the count, this cannot be correct.
  1. Betrayal at Krondor 155
  2. Ultima Underworld 145
  3. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands 142
  4. Wizardry 7 129
  5. Darklands 120
  6. Daggerfall 95
  7. Ultima 7 89
  8. Pool of Radiance 68
  9. Might and Magic: World of Xeen 65
  10. Dungeon Master 48
  11. Wasteland 48
  12. Realms of Arkania: Star Trail 46
Ten days before the end of the voting (Dec 21), Wizardry 7 already had more than 129 points. Same with Pool of Radiance:

Image1.png

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-codex’s-best-computer-rpgs-pre-diablo.141231/page-19#post-7660179

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I thought it was a mistake to split MM4-5 into MM4, MM5 and WoX and that it would keep it down, but turns out merging the three would only make it jump over Pool of Radiance.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Didn't we go over proper identification of games in another thread? Yeah blobber, boomer, etc seemed off to me. FPS over boomer, dungeon crawler over blobber. Eh, whatever. Maybe someone will create a definitive category listing of games the majority will agree upon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom