Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex’s Best Computer RPGs (pre-Diablo)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The real cutoff point, as every truly prestigious Codexer obviously knows, is 2001
If that were the cutoff point, there wouldn't be any point in making the poll. Anyone who has spent a week on the Codex can name the top 10 of such a poll in their sleep.
So the whole point of the poll is to dodge the IE isometric bullet Codex is obsessed about?

'k

curds

Magister
There may be some games I prefer, but I'd like to see it get some representation anyways.
Fuck that. Just list your damn favourites, man. (This is aimed at everyone who votes with an agenda rather than just listing what they like so don't take it personally)

Casual Hero

Augur
There may be some games I prefer, but I'd like to see it get some representation anyways.
Fuck that. Just list your damn favourites, man. (This is aimed at everyone who votes with an agenda rather than just listing what they like so don't take it personally)

Well I get that, but to be perfectly honest, Wizardry 1 is the only game on this list that I've beaten myself. It's the only game I can vote on with total confidence that I can back it up.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Current results:

Image1.png
It's pretty close at the top.

Mightmagic

Augur
4 points:
Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra (New World Computing)

3 points:
Stonekeep (Interplay)
Ravenloft: Stone Prophet (Dreamforge)

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The 1-5 point scale with only 10 points was too unbalanced... With results so close and people able to give 5 points to two games, a single voter can significantly change the entire ranking :/

I don't see the problem with this, though. If you're willing to give 5 points to a single game as opposed to 1 point to 5 games, that says something about the game getting 5 points.

I think we will have a group of 7-10 games jockeying for various positions which is as it should be. It was always going to be close, and as we talked about in the thread (I think?) it might not make sense to have a ranking at all, just a group; aka, the best 5 or 10 RPGs, none of them ranked.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The 1-5 point scale with only 10 points was too unbalanced... With results so close and people able to give 5 points to two games, a single voter can significantly change the entire ranking :/

I don't see the problem with this, though. If you're willing to give 5 points to a single game as opposed to 1 point to 5 games, that says something about the game getting 5 points.
Or someone who has only played 1-2 games from this era.

I would have implemented a scaling point system, like I outlined in previous poll threads:

1 game -> 2 points
min. 2 games -> 3 points
min. 3 games -> 5 points, max 3
min. 4 games -> 6 points, max 3
min. 5 games -> 8 points, max 3
min. 10 games -> 15 points, max 3
min. 15 games -> 22 points, max 3

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Or someone who has only played 1-2 games from this era.

I would have implemented a scaling point system, like I outlined in previous poll threads:

1 game -> 2 points
min. 2 games -> 3 points
min. 3 games -> 5 points, max 3
min. 4 games -> 6 points, max 3
min. 5 games -> 8 points, max 3
min. 10 games -> 15 points, max 3
min. 15 games -> 22 points, max 3

This is way too fucking complicated.

Current results:

Image1.png
The top 10 is actually pretty good. Even the top 20 is okay. Basically, all the games, that people should at least try for developing their gaming palate, are mentioned.

The only issue I have is the huge chasm between Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager, and between Ultima Underworld and Underworld II. It's not like there is a huge drop in quality.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Current results:

Image1.png
The top 10 is actually pretty good. Even the top 20 is okay. Basically, all the games, that people should at least try for developing their gaming palate, are mentioned.
No Ultima V or Kichikuou Rance? The top 10 is popamole derp drek.
Ultima 7 is shit. Does not belong anywhere near the top 20. As far as I can tell, it's clearly the least enjoyable game in the top 20.
Lands of Lore top 20? wtf.

Last edited:

Skall

Learned
The only issue I have is the huge chasm between Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager, and between Ultima Underworld and Underworld II. It's not like there is a huge drop in quality.

I personally included Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Shattered Lands, and Ultima Underworld over their sequels simply because they were the first to use their respective engines and, at the time, made a bigger impact on me. It's not a denunciation of the quality of the subsequent titles.

(Although I first checked out Shattered Lands only a few years ago, and haven't played through Wake of the Ravager just yet.)

Three points:

-Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
-Daggerfall
-Darklands

One Point:

-Ultima 1/Trilogy (my first RPG - on a shitty Apple II hand me down back in 1992, I was 8 years old but still remember)

Okay, pretty sure the real purpose of this thread is remind old fags just how old they really are.

Xorphitus

Scholar
Giving 1 point to each of these.

Wasteland
Champions of Krynn
Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Death Knights of Krynn
Ultima 7: The Black Gate
Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen
Ultima 7 Part 2: Serpent Isle
Might and Magic: World of Xeen
Swords of Xeen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom