Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A List of RPGs - A Codex Collaboration

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's time to go to Brazil

Chroma Squad
Released: April 30, 2015
Country of Origin: Brazil
Developer: Behold Studios
Publisher: Behold Studios
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Grid-Based Movement, Isometric, Pixel Graphics, "JRPG", Crafting, Multiple Endings, Indie

Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Released: June 18, 2013
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Third Person, Pixel Art, 16-Bit Graphics, Casual, Comedy, Tabletop Aesthetic, Mobile Port

Middle Kingdom
Released: 1984
Developer: Jay-soft Ltd.
Publisher: Computerware
Tags: Real-Time, Class-Based, Dungeon Crawler, Procedural Generation, 2D, TRS-80 CoCo, Short, Magic

No Place for Bravery
Released: September 22, 2022
Developer: Glitch Factory
Publisher: Ysbyrd Games
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, Top Down, Pixel Graphics, 2D, Low Fantasy, Medeival

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Devil Spire
Released: February 2, 2022
Developer: Ithiro Sumi
Publisher: Ithiro Sumi
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, First Person, Dungeon Crawler, Pixel Graphics, 2.5D, Dark Fantasy, Magic, Procedural Generation, Permadeath, Multiple Endings, Souls-like, Rogue-like
#61 Codex GOTY (2022)

Dodgeball Academia
Released: August 5, 2021
Developer: Pocket Trap
Publisher: Humble Games
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Party-Based, Isometric, Anime, Cartoon, Sports, Indie
#97 Codex GOTY (2021)

Galaxy of Pen & Paper +1
Released: July 27, 2017
Publisher: Behold Studios
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Isometric, Pixel Graphics, Sci-fi, Space, Mobile Port, Indie

Mandinga - A Tale of Banzo
Released: September 17, 2021
Developer: Uruca Game Studio
Publisher: Uruca Game Studio
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Top Down, Pixel Graphics, Historical, 1800s Brazil

Reverie Knights Tactics
Released: January 25, 2022
Developer: 40 Giants Entertainment
Publisher: Fulqrum Publishing
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Isometric, Grid-Based Movement, Anime, Hand Drawn Graphics, Fantasy, Magic
#122 Codex GOTY (2022)

Tropicalia
Released: February 28, 2023
Developer: Paulo Henrique Franqueira
Publisher: Paulo Henrique Franqueira
Tags: Turn-Based, Single Character, Top Down, Pixel Graphics, Souls-like, Fishing, Hunting, Historical, Pre-Colonization Brazil, Guarani Mythology

Wolfstride
Released: December 7, 2021
Developer: OTA Imon Studios
Publisher: Raw Fury
Tags: Turn-based, Mechs, Single Character, Mech Customization, Monochrome Graphics, Story Rich, Indie
#126 Codex GOTY (2021)

Taking a trip to Belarus:

Bastard: It’s Not Free To Be Good
Released: May 14, 2018
Country of Origin: Belarus
Developer: Aterdux Entertainment
Publisher: Aterdux Entertainment
Tags: Turn-Based, Top Down, Party-Based, Large Party, Strategy, Linear, Multiple Endings, Medeival, Hex Grid, 3D, Low Fantasy, Standalone Expansion
#32 Codex GOTY (2018)

Discord Times
Released: July 19, 2004
Tags: Card Battles, Class-Based, Point & Click, Top-Down, Adventure, Strategy, Low Fantasy, Medeival, Army Management, World Timer, Campaigns, Indie

Eisenwald: Blood of November
Released: November 1, 2016
Tags: Turn-Based, Top Down, Party-Based, Large Party, Strategy, Linear, Multiple Endings, Medeival, Hex Grid, 3D, Low Fantasy, Standalone Expansion, Kingdom Management, Sandbox, World Timer

Legends of Eisenwald
Released: July 2, 2015
Tags: Turn-Based, Class-Based, Party-Based, Large Party, Top Down, Low Fantasy, Medeival, War, 3D, Non-Linear, Multiple Endings, Tactical, Strategy, Hex Grid, Army Management
#13 Codex GOTY (2015), #55 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016), #203 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Damn, this marks my 250th entry.

Last edited:
Might and Magic 2: Gates to Another World
Released: 1988
Country of Origin: USA
Developer: New World Computing
Publisher: New World Computing (Current IP Holder: Ubisoft)
Tags: Party-based, Custom Party, Import Party, Class-based, Class Upgrading, Puzzles, Turn-based Combat, Pixel Graphics, First Person

Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Released: 1990
Developer: Sir-Tech
Publisher: Sir-Tech (Current IP Holder: Drecom)
Tags: Turn-based Combat, Party-based, First Person, Class-based, Choose Race, Fantasy

You haven't added these to the list. Oversight or is there a reason you haven't? (You've added many of the games posted after these)

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oversight.

I will be back home on Wednesday. I hope to update on Thursday.

Edit: Next Wednesday, to be clear.

Last edited:
Blind Justice
Released: 1995
Developer: Illymani Designs
Publisher: RAW Entertainment
Tags: Real-Time, Isometric, Single Character, Point & Click, Fantasy, Post-Modern, Shapeshifting, Pixel Graphics, DOS

Dark Secrets of Africa
Released: August 18, 1999
Country of Origin: Germany
Developer: New Generation Software
Publisher: THQ Inc., Magic Bytes
Tags: Real-Time, Point & Click, Single Character, Purchasable Companions, Isometric, Historical, Colonial Africa, 19th Century, Dungeon Crawler, Survival Mechanics

Dragonfire: The Well of Souls
Released: 1999
Country of Origin: Sweden
Developer: ComputerHouse GBG AB
Publisher: Heiter Publishing, TopWare Interactive, Paradox Entertainment
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Isometric, Single Character, Point & Click, Fantasy, 4 Player Co-op, Dungeons & Demons Ruleset (Drakar och Demoner)

Droiyan 2: Absolute Monarch
Released: January 30, 2002
Country of Origin: South Korea
Developer: KRGSoft
Publisher: E2Soft
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Isometric, Single Character, Cyberpunk, Sci-fi

Icarus: Sanctuary of the Gods (Droiyan)
Released: December 1997
Developer: KRGSoft
Publisher: En K St Entertainment
Tags: Turn-Based, Class-Based, Party-Based, Grid-Based Combat, Isometric, Tactical, Fantasy, Anime, Magic, Mission-Based, Linear

Mistmare
Released: March 7, 2003
Country of Origin: Slovenia
Developer: Arxel Tribe, Sinister Systems
Publisher: Mindscape Ltd.
Tags: Real-Time, Point & Click, Single Character, Third Person, First Person, 3D, Alternate Reality, 20th Century, Medeival Aesthetic, Dystopian, Fantasy, Magic

Fuck me, it was hard to figure out country of origin for this game. Co-developed, where Arxel Tribe was founded by Slovenians but the names in credits didn't match up and I had to find company history to find out they established a subsidiary in France (with no indication of which part of the company developed this game). The French however, were credited with all publishing/marketing things (with the exception of Art Director & Executive Producer) with the rest being Slovenian, so I made the choice to put Slovenia as country of origin.

Morning’s Wrath
Released: October 1, 2005
Developer: Ethereal Darkness Interactive Games
Publisher: Ethereal Darkness Interactive Games
Tags: Real-Time, Isometric, Single Character, Fantasy, Magic, Female Protagonist, Story Rich

I cannot find a proper download link that I'm willing to test for this game anywhere

Shadow Vault
Released: April 14, 2004
Country of Origin: Slovakia
Developer: Mayhem Studios
Publisher: Media-Service 2000, Strategy First Inc.
Tags: Turn-Based, Isometric, Strategy, Tactical, Point & Click, Party-Based, Unit Control, Cyberpunk, Sci-fi, Post-Apocalyptic, Alternate Reality Earth, Interactive Environment

Vampire Hunters
Released: August 31, 2007
Country of Origin: Slovakia
Developer: Mayhem Studios
Publisher: rondomedia Marketing & Vertriebs
Tags: Turn-Based, Third Person, Single Character, Adventure, Vampires, Investigation, Detective, Modern Setting, Magic, Hub Areas

Add to Heath: The Unchosen Path - Codex Quick Review by Lord_Potato
Add to Another War - Codex Quick Review by Lord_Potato

Add to Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon:
Tags: RTwP (It's not real-time), Party-Based, Isometric, Point & Click, Fantasy, Dragons, Demons, Linear, Indie
MyAbandonware Download Link
Codex Quick Review by Lord_Potato
Codex Thread

^^Fixed Codex Thread Link

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
Beltion looks interesting. Ukranian Gothic? Has anyone tried it?

Russian* misremembered, its a ukrainian developer

Discussed a little bit here at the end of page 1. Untranslated however, only in Russian. It's a game I'm interested in translating into English eventually.

I have an original copy being shipped to me soon.

fuck ukraine
Don't start this shit in this thread

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
Russian* misremembered, its a ukrainian developer

Discussed a little bit here at the end of page 1. Untranslated however, only in Russian. It's a game I'm interested in translating into English eventually.

I have an original copy being shipped to me soon.
Thank you, that is interesting. Please make a thread when you decide to start translating it, that would be great. Could be unearthing a true gem. Super cool you're having one sent to you. You speak Ukranian? Or is it similar enough as a slavic language to Russian to get the gist for the sake of vidya?

Last edited:
Thank you, that is interesting. Please make a thread when you decide to start translating it, that would be great. Could be unearthing a true gem. Super cool you're having one sent to you. You speak Ukranian? Or is it similar enough as a slavic language to Russian to get the gist for the sake of vidya?
The game is in Russian, not Ukrainian (the developers were just based in Ukraine). I'm ~B2 level in Russian, and my girlfriend is a native speaker of both languages + many friends for when I need some clarification on how to properly convey the meaning in English (when help is needed). Although, Ukrainian wouldn't be an issue either. It wont be done for a while however, considering I'm already translating another game but it's definitely on my to-do list.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
The game is in Russian, not Ukrainian (the developers were just based in Ukraine). I'm ~B2 level in Russian, and my fiance is a native speaker of both languages + many friends for when I need some clarification on how to properly convey the meaning in English (when help is needed). Although, Ukrainian wouldn't be an issue either. It wont be done for a while however, considering I'm already translating another game but it's definitely on my to-do list.
That is super cool. God speed on these endeavors. You are translating World of Chaos, judging by your quote. Looking forward to it!

Amika
Released: 1996
Country of Origin: Hong Kong
Developer: GO2
Publisher: GameOne
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Isometric, Tactical, Post-Modern, Dystopian, Cyborgs, Anime DOS

Avalon
Released: 1998
Country of Origin: Netherlands
Developer: Jeroen Derwort, MiG Outpost
Publisher: Jeroen Derwort, MiG Outpost
Tags: Turn-Based, Single Character, Strategy, Top Down, Anime, Pixel Graphics, Puzzles, Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-Fantasy, Space Colony, Aliens

Cybermercs: The Soldiers of the 22nd Century
Released: November 1998
Developer: NORA
Publisher: JC Research Inc.
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Shooter, Character-Based, Isometric, Single Character, Sci-fi, Aliens, Mercenary, Linear, Mission-Based, DOS

Seal of Evil
Released: November 2004
Country of Origin: China
Developer: Object Games Ltd.
Publisher: Noviy Disk, GMX Media, Auran Games, Strategy First
Tags: Real-Time, Hack & Slash, Party-Based, Isometric, Point & Click, Fantasy, Ancient China, Historical, Zhou Dynasty, Multiple Endings, Female Protagonist, Prequel

The Tainted
Released: 1999
Country of Origin: South Africa
Developer: Celestial Games
Publisher: Twilyt
Tags: Real-Time, Hack & Slash, Class-Based, Isometric, Single Character, Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Cyberpunk, Linear, Mission Based

Zenfar: The Adventure
Released: October 15, 2001
Developer: Dynamic Adventures
Publisher: Crystal Interactive Software
Tags: Real-Time, Point & Click, Party-Based, Class-Based, Isometric, Adventure, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Magic

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
Release Date: June 15, 1985
Developer: Origin Systems
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Tags: Import Character, Day/Night Cycle, Pixel Graphics, Top Down Camera, Turn-based, Party-based, Apple II, PC

Last edited:
Last edited:
Pyrric Tales: Prelude to Darkness
Released: November 15, 2002
Developer: Zero Sum Software
Publisher: Zero Sum Software
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Classless, Isometric, Fantasy, Non-Linear, Choices Matter
#117 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Tale of Wuxia
Released: April 28, 2016
Developer: Helou Studio
Publisher: Phoenix Games
Tags: Turn-Based, Hex Grid, Party-Based, Top Down, Hand Drawn Graphics, Anime, Multiple Endings, Ancient China, Dating Sim
#146 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Codex Review by Darth Roxor
Codex Let's Play by RK47

Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel
Released: August 14, 2017
Developer: Helou Studio
Publisher: Phoenix Games
Tags: Turn-Based, Hex Grid, Party-Based, Top Down, Hand Drawn Graphics, Anime, Multiple Endings, Ancient China, Open World, Dating Sim

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom