Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About an hour in to System Shock 2, so far, not impressed

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
John Walker thought Dragon Age Origins was too difficult on normal btw.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Problem 1: the enemies. They are really, really boring to fight. They animate the exact same way, scream out the same unintelligible nonsense, and I just have to keep whacking at them with the wrench until they fall down.

Problem 2: the music. The same heavy techno track blasts out whenever enemies run at me. Bad design decision there.

So your problems with SS2 is that you think the animations are repetitive and you don't like the variety of music? What a crybaby. That's the most superficial criticism I've heard in quite a while.

I must admit that I never played this game; OMG BIOSHOCK IN OUTER SPACE. SEEMS INSPIRED BY DEAD SPACE. installed it earlier and played for about an hour.

I haven't found any 'recommended' meta knowledge about it here on the 'Dex, but I've made myself a Navy guy; hacking seems to be a good way not to miss anything important; but I may be wrong. Invested in research as it seems there will be a bit of backstory. I just gained a 25% increase in damage vs. hybrids! (how satisfying, mostly because the game isn't exactly a steamroll) I'm not really a "fearful" guy when it comes to horrors; and I assume the best is yet to come, but even so far - holy fuck, the atmosphere! It works because it doesn't rely on cheap scare, it's more of a subtle ambience and constant, but increasing 'pressure' and there are many factors that make up for the entire 'experience' to which the gameplay also contributes. In that regard, I would say that difficulty is about 'right'. The fact that player is necessary for the horror to have its impact - it's much more scarier in this regard. Hell, even the little detail; a fact that the game doesn't stop in menus so you have to constantly be vigilant scared with little relief, as something may creep back to you from behind any corner -- or shoot you dead with two buckshots. Enthralling and uneasy.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yeah I always played as a Navy guy. Hacking is a very useful skill. Also don't be tempted to use the guns more than you need to early on, as the ammo and maintenance tools are hard to come by. The wrench is often more than enough, and meds are quite plentiful.

In regards to the RPS review, his complaints of difficulty are somewhat mitigated by the fact he played an OSA, which is without doubt the hardest class in the early game (doubly so for a first timer).

Deviant Art strikes again:

regarding.jpg

Funky_Shodan.jpg

tumblr_lwuiilHvnr1qh4v10o1_1280.jpg

shodan_cosplay___complete_by_somethingtested-d4g5khu.jpg

:what::lol:

Sodafish

Arcane
Now you mention it, she does look a little like the :hmmm: guy in that pic. Still pretty good though.

baturinsky

Arcane
For me, hardest part is second level (tech?) and possibly very early third (hydroponics). When enemies are already nasty, but you character still suck and ammo is very scarce. After that, it's a cakewalk.

Also, there are several quite good fan modules for SS2:
http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?board=3.0
Enjoyed everything by Christine (four or so modules) and RttUNN by Blaydes99

Sodafish

Arcane
Just found a truly awful LP from a mouth-breathing youtuber.

The ineptness is comedy gold. Playing on normal too :M

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I remember buying SS2 when it came out and only playing it for an hour before quitting because the atmosphere wasn't scary and the combat was extremely easy and boring. I hated almost everything 3d at the time though, because it was used as an excuse to sell piss poor art direction and crappy gameplay.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I always played the game without the music. Beyond that, the OP is a faggot and should die at the stake like the heretic he is. :mob:

Just found a truly awful LP from a mouth-breathing youtuber.

The ineptness is comedy gold. Playing on normal too :M

Rushing immediately to corpses and staring at walls while the area is unexplored and enemies are clearly around.

Shooting hybrids that only have wrenches when he clearly knows he can take them with his wrench (he does it once).

DROPPING OLD GUNS WITHOUT UNLOADING THEM OF AMMO ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME *slits wrists*.

And people say that System Shock isn't just like Dark Souls. It sure is hilarious to watch bad players play them for the exact same reasons.

Sodafish

Arcane
DROPPING OLD GUNS WITHOUT UNLOADING THEM OF AMMO ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME *slits wrists*.

But for that you would need the inventory space provided by, oh I don't know, not carrying around 4 hybrid organs, 3 monkey brains and game cartridges which aren't loaded into the game player :kingcomrade:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
It's like a freak show. I really hope what that player is 11 years old.

DraQ

Arcane
Seeing him drop weapons with ammo still in was almost physically painful for me. Wasting ammo on pipe hybrids came close too.

And yet he still seems much smarter than that fuck playing that Aliens game and not being able to find the power loader in the same room for several minutes.
:hearnoevil:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Butt butt butt on fagbox and gaystation i always have enough ammo cause it lies right in front of my face everywhere. :retarded:

DakaSha

Arcane
Yes. PC never had (good) games with near infinite ammo amirite?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom