Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

Egosphere

Arcane
with a shoe

what kind of shoe

asking for a friend

4ca683774bc8bbd147de217c3f418b13.jpg

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
AOD was a masochistic pile of flaming dog turd. Quite possibly the worst combat in any RPG I can remember, and the writing was borderline juvenile at times.

*Puts all points in Impersonate, Etiquette, Persuasion, and Trading as Assassin*

W-what the hell! Why does combat suck so much???

No, any game needing a disclaimer in the beginning saying you will die...a lot can't be taken seriously. A game designed to waste time doing scenarios over and over again isn't my idea of fun.

Do you ever feel like they made that disclaimer specifically for shitposters like you? The game is not designed to waste your time, you are wasting your own time by assuming a game is bad because it does not meet your requirements of "fun".
I would go as far as saying that you don't like the game because it (a videogame, reminder) has beaten you, and you experience frustration because of that: blaming the combat, the dialogue, the "repetition", that it is wasting YOUR time (like you were forced to sit down and play videogames). When in fact all these complaints could be easily fixed by, as stupid as it sounds, you not being beaten by the videogame because it does not unfold and play as you wanted it to.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
AoD would have been so much better as a CYOA with nice 2D art.

Every RPG is much better with nice 2D art Comrade. Why to pick dated 3D engine which make game look uglier than Gene Forge 5 and runs as shit on modern computers? AOD was best game of year but as RPG of ten past years? this honor goes to the River of Time it was the game which did everything good with no cons.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It disappointed me. It's just a cheap knock-off of Fallout, and JA2 lite in every way. Slow walkspeed and no run mode, gimmicky stealth, my female character was referred to as male, no destructible environments (can't even shoot through a pane of glass), no companions, lack of sounds, low budget feel, smartphone UI, no death anims, cartoony visuals, lots of backtracking, can't even climb up ladders (like Fallout and JA2) etc.

Also, tiny 8 bit color depth icons for 100s of forgettable bits and bobs in your inventory. Nothing is easy to find or stands out. At times, I just wished I could find a bin to dump it all into.

Cute fact: Underrail came out 15 years after Fallout and 13 years after Jagged Alliance 2.

For once, i couldn't agree more with Lilura, strange how people with similar critics and taste about some games can disagree so much on others.

Strong critics comes from disappointment, mostly, because of the potential we can see in a game and all the failures it achieves, like underrail does.

Underrail is a masterpiece

Edit: Vanilla JA2 is average

Well, after years of trying to understand underrail's fans, an element of answer, at last ...

AOD was best game of year but as RPG of ten past years? this honor goes to the River of Time it was the game which did everything good with no cons.

Seriously ?
I liked The river of Time and i can see why you don't see its camera movement as something wrong, compared to AoD cameras ...

hivemind

what the fck

are you talking about the drakensang river of time?

holy fck kill yourselves, thats like the most boring uninteresting garbagev that I ever bothered to launch, even mentioning iti nthe samesentenceasaod should be grounds for execution

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
AOD was a masochistic pile of flaming dog turd. Quite possibly the worst combat in any RPG I can remember, and the writing was borderline juvenile at times.
Translation: waaah the game doesn't allow me to go everywhere and do everything regardless of my build and the game isn't constantly patting me on the back with ego boosting dialogue about what a great hero I am.

No, any game needing a disclaimer in the beginning saying you will die...a lot can't be taken seriously. A game designed to waste time doing scenarios over and over again isn't my idea of fun.
How about you stop sucking ass and cease wasting time, then?

Bocian

Arcane
AoD was an interesting experiment and deserves strong recognition in cRPG history. Not saying it succeeded
Considering that another game is being made, by the same developer, in the same genre, and in general very similar to the predecessor, it's hard not to say it succeeded.

Repressed Homosexual
No way, I love Vince, but AoD has too many flaws. The main issue is that it is frustrating to figure out constantly where you have to go and what you have to do at your current skillset, because of the lack of rolling on skill checks.

Underrail is just boring, uninspired and dull. Sure it has a lot of options, but what are these worth when the content is so uninteresting?

I think Grimoire and Fallout Resurrection are the best RPGs of the last 15 years.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I don't care what insults you throw at me, retard. Shit game is shit. Oh no, a different opinion than yours . You'll get over it

Translation: waaah the game doesn't allow me to go everywhere and do everything regardless of my build and the game isn't constantly patting me on the back with ego boosting dialogue about what a great hero I am.

How about you stop sucking ass and cease wasting time, then?

Egosphere

Arcane
No way, I love Vince, but AoD has too many flaws. The main issue is that it is frustrating to figure out constantly where you have to go and what you have to do at your current skillset, because of the lack of rolling on skill checks.

Pick the stats you want to maximize and put the points in them. Don't spread the points too thin. I don't know what you mean by not being able to figure out where you have to go? You have a journal with the quests and a town/world map that lets you teleport around without any hassle.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist

Underrail is just boring, uninspired and dull. Sure it has a lot of options, but what are these worth when the content is so uninteresting?

I think Grimoire and Fallout Resurrection are the best RPGs of the last 15 years.

Wow, I had no idea that it was the devs fault you can't use your brain to figure shit out on your own.

TheWorld

Educated
I don't know if it's the best crpg of the last 15 years or not, as some other poster have noted we've had some pretty great stuff like vtm, fnv, underrail, etc. . What I know is that it's a fucking amazing game. Great writing, great combat, great C&C. It's funny how it is considered by many a very hard game, and by others as just a cya (i don't really get how you can say this last point, so i'll ignore it). If you simply plan your build, don't spread too thin, and avoid some stuff that are not meant for your build you won't have huge problems in the game. There are some moments that are hard but nothing game-breaking. I finished it several time without too much optimization, just focusing on 3-4 skills, and loved the game each time.

I still talk all the time about the moment where the merchant guild tries to make you a scapegoat, which leads an assassin to you. In most games this would have led to a forced fight. In AoD you can actually tell the guy "You know? I'm just a random dude. What if I tell you who are the real conspirators?" and the game actually keeps going forward.

AoD is pure incline.

Corvinus

Arcane
Others have weighed the pros and cons better than I could, and while there are precious few that can compete with AoD for the title, this entire discussion might come down to simple preferences in the end.

I'd like to stop all that and present an objective truth which makes sure that AoD takes the price.

miltiades.png

This esteemed gentleman of virtue is the best fictional character of all time, and he is in AoD. The End.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom