Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 4

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
On a side note, it's almost bizarre how many elements of both this one and Spellforce Conquest of Eo resemble each other so closely in terms of UI, combat, etc (far more than any other past title in the series or genre) despise the fact that both were developed basically in parallel and it's unlikely the two dev teams had many chances to copy from each other.
They use the same UI as Civ 6. AoW4 has the same rounded bar with two clickable circles at the ends that Civ 6 cities use.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I guess that's what helps you making all these posts that are extremely vague and devoid of any substance, but still manage to be so dumb at the same time
Expectations:
Nah, that's just the lack of commitment to relentless autism.
Reality:
That's precisely why to your disappointment you won't find me writing a fuckling essay about, say, how devastated I am that armies don't include an extra slot for units (especially in a game where SEVERAL concurrent armies can participate in a fight).
Also, congratulation once again for focusing on what the genre as a whole has in common and managing to ignore all the way these two specific games resemble each other specifically.
As they say in my country "A certa gente è più facile metterla in culo che in testa".
:philosoraptor:

dsndo

Educated
I went into this game fully expecting to hate it and the changes Triumph made and I'm disappointed to find that after 50 turns I'm enjoying myself.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
My bro got it on GoG and we share an account, so I gave it a try for 3-4 hours. Pretty damn fun despite my initial disappointment with the lack of traditional campaigns. Playing through the Story Realm I at the moment. So far leaving a better first impression on me than AoW 3, honestly.

Hell if you are playing AoW 1 and you don't play the campaign, you are a deviant.
Essentially.
The AOW1 campaign is probably one of the best pieces of pure, delicious Tolkenian story ever made. You can even feel the Christian influence shining through, glorious.
AOW2 and SM campaigns are fun but AOW1 is untouched and pure peak.

AOW also has that awesome manual and the original scenarios are part of the narrative as well.

There is something special to AOW1 that I have never seen before or since. I cannot quite put into words, perhaps someone else is better able to articulate it. That "classic tolkeniesque fantasy atmosphere", the graphics, the OST, the RPG-like mechanics, the campaign with choices, the art which looks like something out of a classic tabletop RPG book, everything seems to just... gel together into something greater than the sum of its parts.

I played the older games on the series and I played plenty of other titles in the genre
Whoa whoa, amazing. I guess that's what helps you making all these posts that are extremely vague and devoid of any substance, but still manage to be so dumb at the same time. Eo combat is p much a carbon copy of AoW3 with the caveat of spell casting working differently, it's 100% obvious after playing a single encounter. None of the notable changes from 3 to 4 (temp. healing, dmg scaling with hp, rng for ranged) are in Eo. The latter was already in PF, and still did not get ported to Eo, since they correctly chose the better game as a source of inspiration.
Standard REEEra poster really

Standard REEEra poster really
Oh, look.
Another mentally impaired spastic who couldn’t make an argument to save his life so spends his days spamming retarded reactions and crying about things made when he was 15.

Jesus fucking Christ, sometimes I still remember when “expertise” about game design on this forum used to go past “I’m middle age, autistic and I hate anything made past my nostalgic teen years”.

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Oh, look.
Another mentally impaired spastic who couldn’t make an argument to save his life so spends his days spamming retarded reactions and crying about things made when he was 15.

Jesus fucking Christ, sometimes I still remember when “expertise” about game design on this forum used to go past “I’m middle age, autistic and I hate anything made past my nostalgic teen years”.
I didn’t see you make any detailed arguments or analysis of the game, so you aren’t helping the games case.

I didn’t see you make any detailed arguments or analysis of the game, so you aren’t helping the games case.
You didn’t see it because I wasn’t trying to “help the game’s case”.

In fact I hardly said *anything* about the game at all.

Why should I even bother?

The whole conversation immediately took that usual autistic turn for “Here’s a bunch of people not actually playing the game that will tell you why you shouldn’t enjoy it, either”.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What was the conversation even?

Beards on female characters.
A bit ridiculous, but that was actually a thing for Tolkien's dwarves and AoW 3's Dwarf Succubus had that too.

It was specifically beards on non-dwarf women. I am well aware of the joke with the bearded dwarven women. There was either a bug or a misinterpretation due to the "forms" system, showing a bit of a weakness of it's design btw, that made people report beards on female characters that are not dwarves: Eg. it seems that people wrongly reported tall dwarves as Human and small dwarves as halflings. The developer was completely reasonable btw. just stating that it should not happen, apart from dwarves. The users though started reeeing as soon as the topic came up and the moderator banned me for being "political". I think the headcount on the other side of the argument should be considerably higher, not that I can check.

You really can't make this shit up.

The game is fun so far though.

EDIT: expanded the message to make it clearer

Last edited:

Skorpion

Educated
First scenario conquered with Dwarven Lords, specializing in industry and rune weaponry. Kept it completely to Material magic till tome 5 and finished with a magic win condition because I was curious what would happen and the ai was stomped at that point so no need to smush the last city.
The goal of my army was dwarves in a line supporting one another with deadly crossbows (later hurricane bows) sniping targets down.
Researched rock-kin first as it made sense, then steel skin, finally gold skin and ascended. So the final form was metal monsters with white beards and ascended resistances. Very dwarf I felt, no slinging spells at the enemy other than the occasional rock from above!

Doing the second map now, playing Elves that got knocked into the stone age so they've gone feral in the forests with primal power and unicorn mounts backed up by beasts. Arrows are for those lame high elves. What magic there is that isnt calling in the beasts is druidic support and poison weapons because the forest gives but it also takes!
Specializing in uniting the free cities and destroying the fire cult demons opposing our foresty might.

Im telling you, if your into emergent story/imagination played out this game is the tits. You can create whatever head-canon fantasy you want and play it out. Some people I know are super into pvp right now and are doing their best to create various Warhammer fantasy races and duking it out.
If you want to be told why x-hamlet needs your help in uniting the world against the apocolypse written by a woke 20 year old then this isnt for you. (aow3 first campaign maps I'm looking at you)

Suicidal

Arcane
From what I've seen this game currently seems decent enough (better than AoW 3 on release) and has a lot of potential to become good or even great with DLCs and mods. It had twice the peak player number of AoW3 (whereas Planetfall only had half) which makes me hopeful that autistic modders will jump on making interesting custom content for it. In the mean time I'll wait for them to tidy it up and probably grab the complete edition when it goes on sale.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You didn’t see it because I wasn’t trying to “help the game’s case”.

In fact I hardly said *anything* about the game at all.

Why should I even bother?

The whole conversation immediately took that usual autistic turn for “Here’s a bunch of people not actually playing the game that will tell you why you shouldn’t enjoy it, either”.
Here's a wild idea: since you're obviously incapable of making coherent posts on topic, than maybe fuck off with your inane rambling? I swear, I wish this board was actually moderated. For a pretty long time it was the one place on the codex mostly free of obvious dumbfucks.

RuySan

Augur
Did anyone tried the controller? Due to carpal tunnel issues I have to limit mouse gaming to an absolute zero, since work never stops...

vota DC

Augur
Game seems slow: units move only 3 hexes on grassland roads despite having 32 movement. In old games you had super slow units like the ram with only 20 movement, here starting units are much faster on paper but slow in reality.

I am High black cat with tome of souls so I have shock units with the bone golem that aren't present for High culture. I am messing a little since I have chosen uniters but I need to kill people to collect souls.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Game seems slow: units move only 3 hexes on grassland roads despite having 32 movement. In old games you had super slow units like the ram with only 20 movement, here starting units are much faster on paper but slow in reality.

I am High black cat with tome of souls so I have shock units with the bone golem that aren't present for High culture. I am messing a little since I have chosen uniters but I need to kill people to collect souls.

I found the game to be extremely fast. I just won my first scenario in like 2 1/2 hours. So all in all, while I understand your concern, due to the small map sizes the game plays way faster than 3 or Planetfall, In the long run the Movement points to not really matter.

EDIT: actually not sure if the gametime was 2 1/2 hours. I won on turn 90 with 3 players on the map.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Im telling you, if your into emergent story/imagination played out this game is the tits. You can create whatever head-canon fantasy you want and play it out. Some people I know are super into pvp right now and are doing their best to create various Warhammer fantasy races and duking it out.
If you want to be told why x-hamlet needs your help in uniting the world against the apocolypse written by a woke 20 year old then this isnt for you. (aow3 first campaign maps I'm looking at you)

I would agree with this take. I had the day off yesterday and meant to just check this out. Ended up playing for 7 hours before making a conscious decision to shut it down. In that time, I had no crashes, stutters, glitches, or other bugs. YMMV, but some people are probably trying to run it on their phone or some shit.

Also, lately it's been seeming like if your GPU/CPU are too new, many games are borked on launch. Not sure exactly why that is, but I assume it has to do with less time with the hardware out for the devs to code the game to take advantage of the hardware, etc. Many games that people with like 30-40 series cards complain about crashing and stuttering run more or less flawlessly on my machine.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I would agree with this take. I had the day off yesterday and meant to just check this out. Ended up playing for 7 hours before making a conscious decision to shut it down. In that time, I had no crashes, stutters, glitches, or other bugs. YMMV, but some people are probably trying to run it on their phone or some shit.

Also, lately it's been seeming like if your GPU/CPU are too new, many games are borked on launch. Not sure exactly why that is, but I assume it has to do with less time with the hardware out for the devs to code the game to take advantage of the hardware, etc. Many games that people with like 30-40 series cards complain about crashing and stuttering run more or less flawlessly on my machine.
Crashing stuttering... Cant that be anti-mining algorithms? Are "low hash rates" graphic cards broken?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom