Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Aledorn (formerly Dungeons of Aledorn) - Realms of Arkania-like RPG

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Played and completed the first part (pirate ship). It's nothing mindblowing, just your typical fantasy setting with good tactical combat, but what is there is very good. The music is lovely and sets the mood. Sounds are serviceable. I like the writing: no weird high-brow shit that we see in a lot of modern kwa games, just good old pseudo-European fantasy vernacular.

The only thing to really disappoint me is that they took out Attacks of Opportunity. I don't know why they did that, as it makes combat a hit-and-run affair.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree with what that Kordanor dude is saying in the video. It's not the best way to introduce the player to your game. Having a fight with an infinite amount of enemies is not the best idea. Luckily, I saw the icon that lets you escape into the city. The UI needs a massive overhaul, because it is ugly, and it does not offer much clarity about things in general. In the full game, I hope that the developer reconsiders attacks of opportunity. I think that they would be an improvement over what we have now.

The positive things include one thing that I also agree with the Kordanor guy: Combat flow feels good, which is very important. It's easy to grasp, and fairly straightforward. Hex grid works well, and the AP system is nice, but I want to see how he further develops it, before final judgement. Exploration works well, and I have no real complaints about camera. What music was in the game was very solid.

Overall, I had a positive experience with the demo, and I will follow the development closely. It's an early beta, and it certainly has that feel to it. The 2022 release date feels fabulously optimistic, but I could see an early access release happening. What needs improvement is better UI, a little bit of more enemy variety, and inclusion of actual abilities and such for the different classes.

Kudos to whomever decided to not let this project completely die. He's an absolute madman, but this also shows why we need such people.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
had a very annoying glitch in combat that makes characters walk around the entire circumference of each hexagon when moving from hex to hex. Downright funny stuff. Combat has enough options though for every character to not be boring, but that was already the case in the alpha.

Exploration could be the best part of the game, even though it's easy to get stuck in scenery. The writing hasn't improved noticeably and is still one of the worst parts of the game IMO. At least it's written in serviceable English now and not slavgoblin tongue.

There's still no character creation in this bitch. Would have been fun to fiddle around with that.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1713130/view/5038992934514113353

Aledorn - playing demos by the developer
Game designer Nefarit will play and try to comment on the demo of the game.
Greetings, Aledorn fans. This will be the premiere streaming at the Czech and Slovak Games Festival.

I guess it means it's going to be streaming on the steam page?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1713130/Aledorn/

Infinitron help me out here

[edit]
oh, this is on the side, never noticed that area before
Upcoming Event StartsTue, November 15, 2022 10:00 AM EST
Ends 11:30 AM EST
Set a reminder
Type
Live-Stream / Broadcast

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Took the demo for a spin - it is indeed what it claims to be, a slightly less clunky version of the old Realms of Arkania trilogy games. I played the Czech version, so I cannot speak about the quality of the English writting, the Czech writting is adequate. Combat is a bit too simplistic for my liking (no attacks of opportunity, it doesnt seem like it matters if you attack an enemy from behind etc), though the RoA games were just like that.

It is worthy of your attention if you are looking for a RoA-like, otherwise its just another indie RPG with low production values. Its nice the devs managed to get this far with it, given all the post-Kickstarter drama.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom