Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

dbx

Arcane
Patron
So I got mine:
ami2.jpg

ami1.jpg

It works really well.
It's basically amiberry (probably version 4.1.something) in a nice package.
There is a CRT shader effect in the display options that makes everything even better.

Right now I've only found three negatives:
1 - It does have only 3 usb ports, but they do support USB hubs.
2 - WHDLoad DB xml is a bit outdated.
3 - The fake keyboard. If that thing worked it would be perfect.

If you have problem running your WHDLoad files it's probably related to the outdated whdload_db.xml file in the whdload dir you have to copy in the USB drive.
I had problems running some lha (like Turrican and Turrican 2) from the updated retroplay whdload archive in the Amiga FTP, you can work around that by downloading one of the latest releases of amiberry (https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/releases) and extract the updated xml file from there (just that, not the rest of the whdload libs otherwise you risk bricking the thing) and overwrite the one you get from the amiga500 mini website.

10/10 would buy again

dbx

Arcane
Patron
WW9ZKjV.png

Post pictures of neighbor's missys in the shower, ok.

Unfortunately the only things you can see from my windows, apart from a polluted sky are:
1) A bank
2) A curch and its 900 year old huge bell tower
3) A square retardedly paved with rocks cause that's the way it was paved 900 years ago
Besides it's a reflector/newtonian telescope. Shit at watching ground stuff

post picture of cat

I have a love-hate relationship with the pest.
It's my wife's old cat, so old it has started to piss itself, and the reason we haven't had a proper vacation in 5 years.
IMG-20210916-174342.jpg

post picture of neighbor's cats
No cats in the bank

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
10/10 would buy again

How about input lag? I'm guessing it doesn't come near WinUAE with lagless vsync/beamracing enabled? I started using that and I just can't go back to the 20/16 ms lag of normal vsync. For the first time, after almost 30 years of waiting, I can finally play Amiga games on a PC with the near-zero lag like on my A500 with perfectly smooth 50 Hz scrolling!

Is that transparent joy a Competition Pro? How are you finding it? I'm on the lookout for a good digital joystick that has near zero lag, doesn't feel stiff, and doesn't break after 2 months of use...

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Input lag of any kind (be it mouse or joystick on any platform) is the fun killer. I once played Dark Souls 2 online with a Sony DS3 controller with a crappy bluetooth chip causing high latency. It was not fun.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
10/10 would buy again

How about input lag? I'm guessing it doesn't come near WinUAE with lagless vsync/beamracing enabled? I started using that and I just can't go back to the 20/16 ms lag of normal vsync. For the first time, after almost 30 years of waiting, I can finally play Amiga games on a PC with the near-zero lag like on my A500 with perfectly smooth 50 Hz scrolling!

Is that transparent joy a Competition Pro? How are you finding it? I'm on the lookout for a good digital joystick that has near zero lag, doesn't feel stiff, and doesn't break after 2 months of use...

I didn't notice any input lag, than again I'm not much of a twitch gamer. Had no problems playing Saint Dragon, Turrican 1-2, Battle Squadron, Hybris. Tried Lotus and similar, but have always been shit at them even on the real thing so I didn't notice any improvement.

The transparent joy is the one made for the C64Mini, this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-A500-Mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B08JW463TB/, don't know much about its quality, I rarely use it unfortunately.

warci

Educated
Input lag of any kind (be it mouse or joystick on any platform) is the fun killer. I once played Dark Souls 2 online with a Sony DS3 controller with a crappy bluetooth chip causing high latency. It was not fun.

Love the little A500 housing and OS, but the input lag killed it for me.
Wanted to keep this one attached to my work dual screen setup for the occasional quick amiga fix (especially for playing modules in delitracker while I work), but compared to my 1200 it doesn't even come close. The games all feel sluggish, using workbench is a chore because of the mouse pointer lag.... such a disappointment. The input lag feels very similar to when I connect my amiga to one of those cheap scart-> HDMI convertors. I just went back to the real thing in stead. Life's too short to mess with sub standard facsimiles.

warci

Educated

10/10 would buy again
I've got some old passive USB 2 hub hooked up and it works fine?

Emulation is spotty and there's input lag. It looks cool, but it's no substitute for the real thing.

Ladonna

Arcane

10/10 would buy again

Emulation is spotty and there's input lag. It looks cool, but it's no substitute for the real thing.

Or even a well set up emulation on your pc. Or even one of those Amiga Emu OS versions made for raspberry Pi's. Neither of these options have noticeable lag, so they must have dropped the ball.

warci

Educated

10/10 would buy again

Or even a well set up emulation on your pc. Or even one of those Amiga Emu OS versions made for raspberry Pi's. Neither of these options have noticeable lag, so they must have dropped the ball.
Granted, I'm running my stuff in WHDLoad from Workbench. Maybe that makes a difference in terms of what's compatible

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Did you people plug it into a TV or a computer monitor?
Cause the lag could be also tied to the TV.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

10/10 would buy again

Granted, I'm running my stuff in WHDLoad from Workbench. Maybe that makes a difference in terms of what's compatible
I don't have one of these devices but I followed a few discussions on them. Folks say they fixed lag by setting Interlaced to on in Expert Settings (page 30 in the manual found here.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom