Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - Yasuke confirmed Samurai, cope and seethe - coming February 14th

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • Assassin’s Creed Shadows will now be released on 14 February 2025. While the game is feature complete, the learnings from the Star Wars Outlaws release led us to provide additional time to further polish the title. This will enable the biggest entry in the franchise to fully deliver on its ambition, notably by fulfilling the promise of our dual protagonist adventure, with Naoe and Yasuke bringing two very different gameplay styles.
  • We are departing from the traditional Season Pass model. All players will be able to enjoy the game at the same time on February 14 and those who preorder the game will be granted the first expansion for free.
  • The game will mark the return of our new releases on Steam Day 1.

They more or less admit that Outlaws flopping made them shit their pants and they are desperate to avoid another flop. Problem is that a delay of a few months is going to change jack shit.
Yeah I don't think a few months are enough to change Yasuke to an actual Japanese samurai.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The fact they are selling on steam day 1 tells me that Outlaws must have been a complete flop. But they must be either insane or desperate if they think February will be more favourable.

ind33d

Learned
I wonder if the protag will get an emergency vitiligo injection
thinking.png
apparently in development, pre-Yasuke, the game was a Japanese Metal Gear solid and the mechanics were hiding under floorboards and following shadows (!) through walls by candlelight to set up assassinations similar to Deus Ex wall punch takedowns

but that was too much effort, so DIE JAPANESE!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is exactly one way to prevent this from being their worst flop ever:

Change Yasuke into a Japanese samurai
Search and replace the name Yasuke in every in-game text - that shouldn't be a big problem, there's a female character to play as too, so dialogs would already take the existence of two different names into account.

Only if they do this, the game will sell. If they keep the nigger, it will flop.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Search and replace the name Yasuke in every in-game text - that shouldn't be a big problem, there's a female character to play as too, so dialogs would already take the existence of two different names into account.

Only if they do this, the game will sell. If they keep the nigger, it will flop.
What about the hiphop beats when fighting?

Elttharion

Learned

They cant do that, lmao.

On the other hand, you can't play the entire game as just one protagonist. According to associate director Simon Lemay-Comtois, "other than story missions that are particularly tailor-made for one or the other, we don't specify who needs to be played at this moment, it's up to the players." Even if you do find yourself favoring one protagonist over the other, knowing that there will be at least a few missions where you will be forced to play as each should encourage you to at least get comfortable with both.
There is dialogue and quests that are character specific, it doenst work like the last two games. They would need to redo the entire half of the game were you play as Yasuke.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

They cant do that, lmao.

On the other hand, you can't play the entire game as just one protagonist. According to associate director Simon Lemay-Comtois, "other than story missions that are particularly tailor-made for one or the other, we don't specify who needs to be played at this moment, it's up to the players." Even if you do find yourself favoring one protagonist over the other, knowing that there will be at least a few missions where you will be forced to play as each should encourage you to at least get comfortable with both.
There is dialogue and quests that are character specific, it doenst work like the last two games. They would need to redo the entire half of the game were you play as Yasuke.

Yeah, that'd be a lot of re-recording lines referring to Negro-sama.

mediocrepoet

Patron
They should cut their losses and shitcan the whole thing. Then take a wood chipper to their development teams.

I can't imagine that would actually cut their losses. The thing's done other than whatever they're doing now which could even be nothing other than trying to wait for the shit storm to die down a bit, so it's basically a sunk cost that they may as well launch and see what they can recoup.

They should've started innovating on their games ages ago though instead of continuously releasing the same game with different skins. Now they're basically up shit creek which is a shame because they did try some different things now and again that were interesting, like the Mario+Rabbids games, or the Prince of Persia games recently that are more like original Prince of Persia than the 3D reboots of Sands of Time.

I don't think things like however much money they set on fire with that aborted(?) Prince of Persia Sands of Time remake that went into development hell helped either.

Or that pirate thing that imploded after an insanely long dev cycle. etc, etc.

The Decline

Arcane
I can't imagine that would actually cut their losses.

I'm more talking about goodwill, reputation, and how they are perceived by consumers than money. Flushing this crap game down the toilet, apologizing for it, and sacking everyone involved, including the execs that greenlit it. Of course that would never happen, but it's fun to imagine it.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I can't imagine that would actually cut their losses.

I'm more talking about goodwill, reputation, and how they are perceived by consumers than money. Flushing this crap game down the toilet, apologizing for it, and sacking everyone involved, including the execs that greenlit it. Of course that would never happen, but it's fun to imagine it.

:lol: At this point, that would make literally no difference to anyone, it'd just make them a company that lost all its money and then threw out all its ability to generate cash on top of it. I mean, it might be fun to imagine it, but the reason it'd never happen is because it would be retarded.

ind33d

Learned

they can't change Yasuke into a Japanese samurai. Black people are the product; Assassin's Creed is just the branding.

mediocrepoet

Patron

they can't change Yasuke into a Japanese samurai. Black people are the product; Assassin's Creed is just the branding.

So the SJW sorts like to buy black people? I'm surprised so many Codexers hate them in that case. :smug:

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's your obsession with niggers?
They are living bio weapons used by Elite to conquer all nations by genetically changing them into more managable brown cattle which will accept any tyranny. Every commercial, video game, movie, tv series, RPG, even food labels in non nigger countries features all of the sudden niggers

Who's obssesed? Western Evil Elite. Why? That's a good question
You are just jealous they have bigger cocks than your touted "horsecock". Inferiority complex.
Screenshot_20240926_044200_com.brave.browser_beta.jpg

The Decline

Arcane

So the SJW sorts like to buy black people? I'm surprised so many Codexers hate them in that case. :smug:

Codexers want niggers gone, not enslaved. Slavery just makes shit worse.

ghardy

Educated
I do realize this could come off as racist to people with a very narrow understanding of the world. Why does that matter?
Because Africa the continent used to have one of the world's great civilizations in North Africa (Egypt), and the only country worth a damn in South Africa. To paint the whole of Africa as a benighted region is narrow thinking, isn't it?

Reinhardt

Arcane
and the only country worth a damn in South Africa.
nigger, they have blackouts for most parts of the year now and literally half of the population not working and living on gubmint gibz. you still living in 90s or something? must be nice.

ghardy

Educated
and the only country worth a damn in South Africa.
nigger, they have blackouts for most parts of the year now and literally half of the population not working and living on gubmint gibz. you still living in 90s or something? must be nice.
The part you did not quote said: "Because Africa the continent used to have".

That applied as well to the part you did quote. As in, it used to be that Africa the continent had the only country worth a damn there, namely, South Africa. That it has gone to the dogs is to be regretted.

Hellion

Arcane
>Ubisoft CEO says "there's no agenda, we just want to make fun games"
>PC Gamer is mad and calls his comments "cowardly and unhelpful", thus confirming the existence of an agenda

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/actio...t-a-black-samurai-in-assassins-creed-shadows/

Our goal is not to push any specific agenda': Ubisoft CEO tries to mollify gamers who won't stop being mad about a Black samurai in Assassin's Creed Shadows​

News
By Andy Chalk
published 10 hours ago
Yves Guillemot hopes everyone can just have a good time.

Image for 'Our goal is not to push any specific agenda': Ubisoft CEO tries to mollify gamers who won't stop being mad about a Black samurai in Assassin's Creed Shadows

(Image credit: Ubisoft)

Assassin's Creed Shadows is one of the most anticipated games of the year, but it's also been controversial among some groups of gamers due to its inclusion of Yasuke, a Black samurai. In today's surprise announcement of an Assassin's Creed Shadows delay, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot addressed those "polarized comments," as he put it, saying Ubisoft's games are not meant to reflect any specific agenda.
"I want to reaffirm that we are an entertainment-first company, creating games for the broadest possible audience, and our goal is not to push any specific agenda," Guillemot said in today's financial update. "We remain committed to creating games for fans and players that everyone can enjoy."

It's quite a change in tone from Guillemot's words in June, when he called out "malicious and personal online attacks" directed at Ubisoft employees at partners.
"I want to make it clear that we, at Ubisoft, condemn these hateful acts in the strongest possible terms, and I encourage the rest of the industry and players to denounce them, too," Guillemot said at the time. "I am proud to support the amazing work of our teams and partners, and I will always trust in their creative choices."

By contrast, today's statement is unhelpful at best and frankly I think it borders on outright cowardice. The backlash against Assassin's Creed Shadows has been fierce but also emerges from a very narrow slice of the gaming community, a group that is very agenda-driven: It makes zero justifiable sense that traveling through the magic of the Animus to waste the Pope or do a solid for George Washington is normal videogame business, yet a Black samurai—based on a historical figure, like so many others in the series—is beyond the pale. There's no mollifying this disingenuous crowd with hollow statements that it's fun and games, and we should all just get along.

The most vocal contingent of Yasuke critics want nothing less than the outright removal of the character from the game, to be replaced with an "authentic" Japanese character. It's absolutely bananas, and anyone who thinks they can make that group happy with this sort of anodyne nonsense simply needs to take a look at the responses to the delay announcement on X to be quickly dissuaded of such notions.

This isn't Ubisoft first attempt at soothing the perennially aggrieved to poor effect. In July it issued a statement that Assassin's Creed Shadows is not meant to be a "factual representation of history, or historical characters," and that "while Yasuke is depicted as a samurai in Assassin's Creed Shadows, we acknowledge that this is a matter of debate and discussion." As we noted at the time, the new Assassin's Creed has faced some legitimate criticism, but the defense of Yasuke is entirely unnecessary—and worse, it served to embolden the reactionary contingent of gamers who think diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts are somehow ruining games.

Assassin's Creed Shadows executive producer Marc-Alexis Côté did better in June when he called out X owner Elon Musk for "feeding hatred" about the game. Côté also, wisely, did not respond to Musk's tweet about Assassin's Creed Shadows, saying, "By attacking someone like Elon… I will not convince people about our point of view as a team."

I can't speak from the perspective of a videogame executive but to my mind, that's the approach that works. Ubisoft is never going to satisfy its worst, most bad-faith critics and it shouldn't waste time trying: The effort would be far better spent drawing clear lines on where it stands, even if it's on a point as simple as "racist bullshit will not be tolerated." It's certainly doable: Bethesda Softworks made a point of embracing the anti-Nazi politics in Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, saying, "This is what our game is about."|

Alas, Ubisoft doesn't have a great history on that sort of thing. Executives of the company that gave us The Division (anonymous agents of a previously secret Homeland Security unit respond to a devastating pandemic in New York City by killing truckloads of civilians), Ghost Recon Wildlands (American hit team infiltrates Third World nation to topple the government), and Far Cry 5 (Christian fundamentalist cult takes over a slice of backwater Montana and only heavily armed locals can stop them) have insisted multiple times over the years that their games are not political—and if they are, they're politically neutral. In that light, Guillemot's statement is really just more of the same, and will have roughly the same impact—that is, none at all.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Ubisoft got reminded that they sell entertainment products to people and antagonizing them is counterproductive to that aim. PC Gamer used to more or less be about that too in the days of print magazines. Now the relationship between making content for people and generating revenue is murkier, so you have a lot of retards spouting shit about how they don't need whoever and picking fights with prospective customers right up until they find that they do, in fact, need the audiences they've been telling to piss off and whine about how they've become unemployable.

ghardy

Educated
"racist bullshit will not be tolerated."

Except when it fits our agenda, then chalk and cheese go together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom