Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - Yasuke confirmed Samurai, cope and seethe - coming February 14th

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Anybody who knows enough about Japan would know this game has a chance to cause an international incident.

I sure hope so. :bounce::bounce:

eh modern Japanese barely cares about this stuff, there is some noise with some conservative party politician but there has been nothing else

the idea of Yasuke as a retainer to Oda has been in games made by Japanese themselves even. I doubt him existing in this game would make much controversy

It will still be probably unpopular when considering the guy becomes one of the main POV instead of NPC and it might not appeal as much to Japanese but honestly I feel that most Japanese respond to this is probably more of an annoyance and meme it to dead rather than boiling anger

Iucounu

Educated
Meh, Britbongs had been colonizing half of the world, draining resources and murdering locals in Africa, India and even China. Now they have pajeet minister and need to bow down to Kangs. I don't even feel sorry for them.
I wouldn't go that far, it's mostly the upper classes that benefited from colonization and more recently immigration, but they're not the ones that have to suffer the negative consequences. And if the upper classes does suffer negative consequences one day they'll just cry for help "for Britain", and the lower classes will instantly rush to their defense, "for Britain".

Echo Mirage

Arcane

For those who don't speak baguette.

"Long comment:

From my experience in the industry, whether in Montreal (Eidos) or Amsterdam (Guerrilla), I can confirm that yes, politicization has completely corrupted the studios.

The problem, and I am well aware that I am simplifying things to avoid writing a book, is the consequence of several factors.

The industry employs many creative profiles, often self-taught or with artistic training.The vast majority of these profiles tend to be politically oriented, some even towards the social-progressive extremes, to which must be added the dimension of identity politics predominant in Anglo-Saxon culture, particularly in the USA.

In Europe, finding qualified profiles is not easy, and studios rely on high rates of expatriate employment, particularly Americans.

Since the emergence of the many scandals that have rocked the industry, studio bosses have paid particular, and justified, attention to employee safety in the workplace.

Profiles with the most extreme political views, under the guise of protecting tolerance, have seized this opportunity to impose their ideologies on the studios, forcing managers and publishers to comply with their demands, under penalty of being accused of discrimination.The influence of these currents has been, and continues to be, exerted on the internal culture of the studios, but also in the creative ideas implemented in the games.

Given the first point, this is not a vocal minority, but almost a majority.

Studios and publishers, especially long-standing AAA, now find themselves in a bind, unable to reverse the trend without creating major disruptions to their projects.

This is so much so that studio heads do everything they can to avoid this subject during team meetings, further breaking the trust of employees by refusing transparency.

A vicious circle that is now running at full speed.

Another, less vocal majority, who no longer wish to be subjected to this pressure, are beginning to express it, by leaving their studio, and joining or forming new teams, to be able to make video games without a political agenda.

The signs are starting to show, but the inertia is very strong, and many prestigious studios are about to pay even more, with consumer rejections becoming more frequent on games planned for the next 2 to 5 years."

EDIT: Fixed the formating.

Gerrard

Arcane
The solution is very simple: you either keep your retarded socio-political opinions out of your work, or you lose your job. You are not irreplaceable.

rumSaint

Educated
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The solution is very simple: you either keep your retarded socio-political opinions out of your work, or you lose your job. You are not irreplaceable.
From what that guy wrote, it is more likely than not that the replacement will share the political agenda of the fired one.
When enough projects fail they will replace the agenda, because the main agenda is money and you cannot make money if players refuse to buy your turd wrapped in rainbow flag. Simple as.

They thought the people will buy into identity politics, but the changes were too fast, and it kinda shows all LGBTQWERTY#+-? is being orchestrated from above. Normies still don't care. Rainbow flag came and will go at some point.

Spike

Educated
From what that guy wrote, it is more likely than not that the replacement will share the political agenda of the fired one.
When enough projects fail they will replace the agenda, because the main agenda is money and you cannot make money if players refuse to buy your turd wrapped in rainbow flag. Simple as.

They thought the people will buy into identity politics, but the changes were too fast, and it kinda shows all LGBTQWERTY#+-? is being orchestrated from above. Normies still don't care. Rainbow flag came and will go at some point.
Looking forward to having normal human beings floating around again.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I dunno, for example as far as I heard Gaider secured government money so his "audience" doesn't need to pay him a dime.

ghardy

Educated
Folks, there's no end to the clownshow with our good friends over at Ubisoft. Here's their latest routine for your amusement!

Ubisoft director blames gamers, says they've been exposed as 'non-decent humans'

[Emphasis added]

Now, in the heat of what could be considered the most tumultuous time for Ubisoft, the company's director for monetization, Stevy Chassard, has taken to LinkedIn to voice his opinion on the public's reaction to Ubisoft and its recent decisions.
"The gaming industry is rough at the moment, we all know it. But seeing how "gamers" react on social medias, wishing ill-fate to companies and people alike is sad. (And not only towards Ubisoft. Even though it is always the vocal minority that express themselves on social media, I was hurt, hurt and ashamed to be part of this community."
"What is even more revolting, is coming on LinkedIn and seeing the same comments from people within the industry. On top of exposing yourself as a clearly non-decent human being, you are affecting thousands of employees that are already impacted by all the hate despite doing their best to deliver incredible experiences."
"How can you wish a company to fail simply because they do not cater to you or that the produce does not please you is beyond me."
"We are all on the same boat, please please please, stop spreading hate, we should all uplift each other instead of bringing each other down," said Chassard

Life hack: If you're getting to know someone who is always reminding you what a good person they are - run away before they do something horrible to you.
Damn straight. Good people don't spend time talking about how good they are; they just act in accordance with their character and expect others to respond accordingly. Someone constantly talking up their own virtue is trying to convince themselves first and foremost.

Erebus

Arcane
Other than brand notoriety, is there any reason why so many Assassin's Creed games have been released ? From what I've seen, it seems that many of them don't put much emphasis on having you behave like an assassin (ie, being stealthy and avoiding open fights).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Assassins Creed games aren't stealth games, they're historical parkour games.
I enjoy the older titles because it's fun to run through an ancient city and climb up its tallest buildings.

Shadows is gonna be a shit Assassins Creed game precisely because it has no historical research. The ones set in Italy tried to accurately portray several renaissance cities according to city plans of the time. The ones in Paris and London were great, too. The ancient Egypt and Greece ones even bragged about their historical accuracy by having museum modes or something.

And now, with Shadows, the devs (who are, I would be willing to bet, largely not the same people who worked on the previous games) completely shat the bed when it comes to historical research. Japanese fans already pointed out dozens of inaccuracies when it comes to architecture and design, and it's not even just small details, but egregious mistakes that nobody who pays even a modicum of attention should make. IIRC the game is set in the 17th century, but some homes contain artworks from the 19th century. Not just any artworks, but well-known ones which you could check on fucking wikipedia. Also, some of the architecture apparently isn't even Japanese but Chinese or Korean, because the 3D modelers just thought "lol all Asian architecture is the same". Shameful display.

They focused so much on shoehorning a nigger into medieval Japan that they completely forgot about researching the actual history of the place, so the main appeal of an Assassins Creed game (historical parkour) is now ruined.

ind33d

Learned
I enjoy the older titles because it's fun to run through an ancient city and climb up its tallest buildings.

Shadows is gonna be a shit Assassins Creed game precisely because it has no historical research. The ones set in Italy tried to accurately portray several renaissance cities according to city plans of the time. The ones in Paris and London were great, too. The ancient Egypt and Greece ones even bragged about their historical accuracy by having museum modes or something.

And now, with Shadows, the devs (who are, I would be willing to bet, largely not the same people who worked on the previous games) completely shat the bed when it comes to historical research. Japanese fans already pointed out dozens of inaccuracies when it comes to architecture and design, and it's not even just small details, but egregious mistakes that nobody who pays even a modicum of attention should make. IIRC the game is set in the 17th century, but some homes contain artworks from the 19th century. Not just any artworks, but well-known ones which you could check on fucking wikipedia. Also, some of the architecture apparently isn't even Japanese but Chinese or Korean, because the 3D modelers just thought "lol all Asian architecture is the same". Shameful display.

They focused so much on shoehorning a nigger into medieval Japan that they completely forgot about researching the actual history of the place, so the main appeal of an Assassins Creed game (historical parkour) is now ruined.
you don't get what's happening. all of history was made up, that's why they don't give a fuck about changing it

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

As far as i remember Ass Creed was always woke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom