Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monolith

Prophet
Ok, will give it another try. Exploring a wasteland sounds good enough. I can go thorugh some grinding if the combat is good enough.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/552620/view/2202769156571347200

Update 1.15
Greetings, friends!
Our game’s sequel is constantly developing, but that doesn't mean we forgot our first game ATOM RPG. To show that, we are uploading a large patch packed with things you asked us to add on the forums.
First off, we did what we were asked to do by the players who prefer the gamepad. The interface and controls are completely overhauled and should now seem much more comfortable and easy than before.
We also finally translated the game into Polish language with the help of a professional translator and two groups of volunteers, one led by Dr. Paweł Aleksandrowicz. Many other languages are also on their way, with French 90% done. Our team cannot afford professional translation studios, so everything is a fan-driven effort which we cannot hasten, but with enough time we promise to deliver even more translations! With players like you, we believe this to be possible.
The game also got a new network interface which will allow seamless save transfer between different versions of Atom RPG in case you want to play as your PC character on the go.
We also added a large amount of improvements into the game - adding new sounds and some animations and minor visuals, fixing very minor bugs that were still left until you noticed and reported them on the forums, as well as many optimization tweaks and fixes for low-end PCs. The full list can be found under this post.
Thank you for being the best community possible! And let there be ATOM!

Full changelog:

- Added optimization for low-end PCs;
- Added video playback performance optimization for low-end PCs;
- Added Polish language translation;
- Added one account to transfer saves between game versions;
- Three new cinematics for certain locations when they are first visited;
- Gamepad control and interface overhauled;
- New sounds on certain locations;
- New character animations;
- New way to display hit points. It is off by default but you can find it in the settings;
- Mutants got new animations when hit and when dodging the hit;
- Various minor bugs and typos reported by the community were eradicated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Angel

Arcane
- Added optimization for low-end PCs;
Just want to say that I really, really appreciate this. Before, the game would sluggishly run on my old ass laptop while quickly overheating it. Now, It can run mostly smooth >30 fps, and I'd estimate I can now play ATOM safely for an hour or so before the laptop starts overheating again and the framerate plummets. Definitely a much better and preferable situation.

Cheers to our comrades :salute:

Krivol

Magister
Polish translation is shit... Fellow Potatoes, don't even tryit, you will understand less than from russian original, even if you don't know ruski alphabet.

But game... I just finished it and I must say... you did it, fuckin' soviets! After games like Metalheart or The Fall, after tons of promises and "post nuclear games similar to Fallout 1n2" you managed to create something that is really, really close to F1&2. Great job!

What I didn't liked:
- camera was sometimes annoying
- sometimes atmosphere was uneven
- last act of the game was... kinda meh, not bad, just... not shaking my head
- playing with melee/unarmed is really hardcore if compared to full-auto guy
- sluggish, long dialogues with unimportant NPCs - I prefer fallout solution -if someone is not important, you actually can't talk with him. Amount of dialogues that were just some lore dumps or silly jokes is too big IMO.
- you can get extremly decent auto weapon with just some points in lockpicking and sneak (+/- 80 in each). It is somewhat balanced by expensive ammo, but same gun is a treasure after one of the hardest battles in game!
- world feels quite small
- no kids - you can't bur little brats with flamethrower
- no flamethrower (nor bazookas, err... RPG7)
- perk system- you actually can choose 1-2 skill trees and that's all. It really cripples number of builds.

What I loved:
- overall atmosphere was great!
- barter system is very good, I had problem with money until last parts of the game
- Dead City - oh my! It is Stalker RPG!
- plenty of nice references
- UI is really as Fallout 3 should look like
- battle system is ok - it would be better IMO if we could lead all party members
- no cover system, and yet you and your enemies can hide behind cars or trees to avoid being shoot from distance! Very useful for HtH builds!
- DRUGS! - oh my god! It's like Witcher 1 on highest difficulty! My char was doped almost all the time, and even if not drugged, then filled with coffee, czaj, condensed milk and cigaretts. And it was really needed and important!
- Dungeons REALLY close to the Glow! Death Tunnel is my favourite.
- As a Pole I really don't like Stalin, Lenin and all that comunist shit but in ATOM RPG it was really great placed and felt really well.

Tl;dr
Great game! Play it!

I am going to buy that stand-alone dlc tommorrow. I want MOAR!

track02

Novice
Well I ended up accidentally overwriting my martial arts save whilst trying out other builds so started again and actually managed to finish the game without rerolling for the hundredth time !

I went for a lone wolf sniper build and found it much easier, stealth seems really really good as you can place yourself so far from enemies 90% of them end up dead before they reach you. Mainly used Dragunov/SKS for most of the game and did the mountains bunker last so got the VER a bit too late to have much fun with it
Last fight was a pain especially solo and took a few reloads before I could kill the soldiers with the machine guns in my first turn

Torn between picking up Trudograd now or waiting until it's fully released and going in blind

flushfire

Augur
Most of the difficult fights become easier with a little investment in throwing, every build should have it. Even just passing the requirement for F1 grenades is good enough, that's just 2 levels worth of points for most characters.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I've been playing as a lone wolf sniper (with scoped SKS and later Dragunov), and the game puts you into disadvantage way too often to reliably snipe enemies from afar. For example, when visiting Containers (the one with diamond mine thugs) the game initiates dialogue immediately upon entering, so there was no way to snipe enemies stealthily.

Also, how can you shoot people who are sitting in a building if you're standing outside? The roof hides them.

jackofshadows

Magister
- DRUGS! - oh my god! It's like Witcher 1 on highest difficulty! My char was doped almost all the time, and even if not drugged, then filled with coffee, czaj, condensed milk and cigaretts. And it was really needed and important!
It's cool but they get carried away with CON buffs. I mean, if not on survival it's possible to roll with 2 con and pump up to 10 before any tough fight. Basically investing more make sence mostly for roleplay purposes or just out of convenience.
I've been playing as a lone wolf sniper (with scoped SKS and later Dragunov), and the game puts you into disadvantage way too often to reliably snipe enemies from afar.
Also, how can you shoot people sitting in buildings if you're standing outside? The roof hides them.
Is stealth maxed out? Or you're talking about set encounters straight after dialogue?
Zooming in doesn't help? I think it worked for me sometimes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's cool but they get carried away with CON buffs. I mean, if not on survival it's possible to roll with 2 con and pump up to 10 before any tough fight. Basically investing more make sence mostly for roleplay purposes or just out of convenience.
so far i have passed every charisma check with my 1 CHA character by juicing up with perfume and smoking a joint, which is kinda ridiculous. Is Charisma useless? At least in Fallout 1-2 and Arcanum with high CHA you could recruit a squad of party members.

flushfire

Augur
Personality checks go up to 10, so you need at least 6 for males and 4 for females to get everything. But most of the 9-10 checks are insignificant or doable by some other means IIRC so in practical terms the minimums are 4 and 2. You're gonna miss around 20-30 bonus skill points if you can't go up to 8 Per. Not a big deal but why would you dump it that much anyway? It's annoying to walk around town always high just to not miss anything, and Joints reduce Att and Int too which means you're also gonna miss checks that involve Per and either of the two.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm fine with missing on content, even killed that Commisar Draco looking guy in Peregon because of my low charisma.

Krivol

Magister
so far i have passed every charisma check with my 1 CHA character by juicing up with perfume and smoking a joint, which is kinda ridiculous. Is Charisma useless? At least in Fallout 1-2 and Arcanum with high CHA you could recruit a squad of party members.

In Fallout 1 CHA had literally no use (just to modify 1 skill IIRC) and was a dump stat - just like in New Vegas, you could have been great speaker with maxed speech and CHA1. It was Fallout 2 where you should put some points in CHA.

I agree that you can abuse drugs in ATOM, but it's part of the game IMO and sometimes there is no time/possibility to do so and you have to savescum or use a metaknowledge to create proper min-max build.

Sykar

Arcane

In Fallout 1 CHA had literally no use (just to modify 1 skill IIRC) and was a dump stat - just like in New Vegas, you could have been great speaker with maxed speech and CHA1. It was Fallout 2 where you should put some points in CHA.

I agree that you can abuse drugs in ATOM, but it's part of the game IMO and sometimes there is no time/possibility to do so and you have to savescum or use a metaknowledge to create proper min-max build.

It is only needed on survival though. You can do fine without it even on Expert. I usually just dump luck but still have a decent personality that I can do a lot of stuff just smoking some pot.

Krivol

Magister
Is really Luck such a dump stat in Atom? I actually played with LCK1 but I really felt that I should have had more crits during hits in the eye (I pumped LUCK to 4 during the game anyway).

jackofshadows

Magister
Or you're talking about set encounters straight after dialogue?
this.
Gonna say hardly something new for you but drugs/grenades/shield+something on turn end to help.
Is really Luck such a dump stat in Atom? I actually played with LCK1 but I really felt that I should have had more crits during hits in the eye (I pumped LUCK to 4 during the game anyway).
Definitely not. Crits are always nice, obviously. Thing is, the more skill you invest after certain point when accuracy is not a problem - the more crit chance you get so it stacks with base luck based CC. I played two times already with 9-10 lck and it feels in combat.

Wunderbar

Arcane
this.
Gonna say hardly something new for you but drugs/grenades/shield+something on turn end to help.
after investing a bit into automatic I can now shred enemies at close range with AKMS. Automatic seems to be a way better skill/perk investment than regular Rifles (not going to respec tho, will stick to rifles for VER).

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Most of the difficult fights become easier with a little investment in throwing, every build should have it. Even just passing the requirement for F1 grenades is good enough, that's just 2 levels worth of points for most characters.
I cheesed the last two fight in the game with grenades.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm fine with missing on content, even killed that Commisar Draco looking guy in Peregon because of my low charisma.
Commissar Draco said:
2fqBWni.png
passed a DEX check and stabbed that fucker mid dialogue.

Sykar

Arcane
this.
Definitely not. Crits are always nice, obviously. Thing is, the more skill you invest after certain point when accuracy is not a problem - the more crit chance you get so it stacks with base luck based CC. I played two times already with 9-10 lck and it feels in combat.

I mean otherwise luck would be completely useless if it did not at least have some notable effect in combat. If you do not care about dialogue at all and/or do not mind abusing the shit out of per increasing items then sure dump per. Thing is those joints reduce your other attributes and you only need that stuff occasionally so every time you have to wait for the effect to wear off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom