Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wunderbar

Arcane
jdB5AGe.jpg

After spending 30 minutes on this shitty random encounter i've lost my patience and reloaded from autosave :argh:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Sykar i assume you mean Drunk den, with a guy wearing an eyepatch? If you "shoot" that captive mechanic in a head, Dan will ask you to intimidate moonshiners into accepting Dan's protection.

Takamori

Learned
Well if you went full combat build, you could get one by avoid getting mugged by the starter bandits and killing then. That AK is damn powerful.
Now if you went balanced build, might want to farm caravan encounters for an affordable rifle. Krasnoz arms dealer will skin you alive for supplies.

Murk

Arcane
Ok I am level 10 and have seen like 2 assault rifles which were beyond 20k rubles on the arms dealer in Krasnoznamenny. Is there anywhere I can get an affordable assault rifle?

Loot it from bandits, or buy form Peregon.

Krasn's prices are beyond fucked up (intentionally). Peregon and traveling merchants have better prices.

Krivol

Magister
Ok I am level 10 and have seen like 2 assault rifles which were beyond 20k rubles on the arms dealer in Krasnoznamenny. Is there anywhere I can get an affordable assault rifle?

Man, closed locker behind arms seller in KRZ has one of the best AR'sin game. Youneed about 80 sneak and 60-80 lockpick+lockpicks IIRC to get it!

Well if you went full combat build, you could get one by avoid getting mugged by the starter bandits and killing then. That AK is damn powerful.

In new patch you can't fight them at all if I remember correctly.

Takamori

Learned

Man, closed locker behind arms seller in KRZ has one of the best AR'sin game. Youneed about 80 sneak and 60-80 lockpick+lockpicks IIRC to get it!

In new patch you can't fight them at all if I remember correctly.
Damn they removed that? I will boot the game today just to test that, its been a while.

Takamori

Learned
So yeah you can still do it, there is a catch though, you have to save scum to oblivion during the tutorial zone and manage to get enough XP with the craft for Level 2. You get the armor of gods perk that gives you %knockback resistance the rest is the same from old strats. Pick the gun and the ammo, run to the house through the wooden door and massacre then. Rather craft my stuff, too much RNG and save scum to go through it again.

Sykar

Arcane
So how am I supposed to win the fight against the drug dealers going after you when you destroy the black lotus package for the circus? Not only do they outnumber me but all but 2 of them are higher level than any of us. All I can do is save scum either for the speechcraft check or the fight. Ugh some stuff in this game makes me want to uninstall it because it is so fucking stupid. Above all Atomboy the companion AI is so mindbogglingly retarded it makes me want to throw my monitor through the window. I mean how was that a good idea that they use the lowest healing item in their inventory when they are at 5% health instead of the fucking best? I do not get it. Worse they cannot take a single step to avoid close range penalty with rifles. They literally stand there shooting with a noticable penalty and all they would have to do is move one fucking tile but they cannot even do that.

Wunderbar

Arcane
So how am I supposed to win the fight against the drug dealers going after you when you destroy the black lotus package for the circus? Not only do they outnumber me but all but 2 of them are higher level than any of us.
drugs? Drugs solve every problem.
I've finished the game yesterday for the first time (lone wolf sniper), destroyed enemies in the final fight with ease using drugs, VER and a couple of grenades for knockdowns.
10 DEX + two shots of BSF12 give you whopping 12 AP, allowing you to perform two 6-ap attacks per round.

Sykar

Arcane
I got two unscoped rifles and Shishaks gun on Fidel who is level 6. Drugs? What drugs? I have 2 Meldonium that's it. Well I usually run around with +2 endurance from teas since it is abundant and lasts couple of hours. Then of course that still does not fix the utterly idiotic companion AI. How hard is it to program the AI to use the best drug for healing first during combat, not the worst. Feels like I have to take away the Kasparmid from them and only use it during dialogue. Still I have seen them at 5% HP and they still prefer to shoot vs using a life saving drug or two. Meanwhile the leader of the End of the Line raiders uses his Super Stimulant first. Why exactly does he act smarter than my companions again?

I mean I had a few fights I could not win but I could at least run away. Here? I am surrounded and the exit is far away. Even if I take the attack option I still get surrounded becase reasons I guess.

Edit: Also aimed shots at body parts does not really do than add a bit more damage. In FO shots to the legs could cripple or knock them over and shots to the arms could disarm them or reduce their accuracy. I tried that here and never saw anything like that.

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
Yep, companions' ai is shit. Most times I had to load was because they were killed.

IMO pistols are best for companions + command 'stay close to me' - they not rushing like idiots that way, not shooting your backs, and not giving too much attention. I know that they 'meatshield' role is limited that way, but you can choose what (and how many ;) ) drugs your character takes.

I'm not sure which batte you are talking about, but if this the one on bridge location, I handled it quite late in the game so it was easy.

I remember playing Fallout 2 with some fan-patch that gave me control over companions - game was much better (even if easier). I have no idea why Atom RPG can't have that feature.

Wunderbar

Arcane
There is something fishy going on with encounter generation / level scaling.

During a quest where you must hunt down Death gang members i was utterly destroyed by the first encounter with Lena Death, because all of her mates were armed with RPKs and AVS-36. After loading my last autosave and encountering Lena again, her mates were armed with knives and rusty SMGs.

Krivol

Magister
So yeah you can still do it, there is a catch though, you have to save scum to oblivion during the tutorial zone and manage to get enough XP with the craft for Level 2. You get the armor of gods perk that gives you %knockback resistance the rest is the same from old strats. Pick the gun and the ammo, run to the house through the wooden door and massacre then. Rather craft my stuff, too much RNG and save scum to go through it again.
On lvl 1 fight is not even starting, so I tought they got rid off it.

Sykar

Arcane
Yep, companions' ai is shit. Most times I had to load was because they were killed.

IMO pistols are best for companions + command 'stay close to me' - they not rushing like idiots that way, not shooting your backs, and not giving too much attention. I know that they 'meatshield' role is limited that way, but you can choose what (and how many ;) ) drugs your character takes.

I'm not sure which batte you are talking about, but if this the one on bridge location, I handled it quite late in the game so it was easy.

I remember playing Fallout 2 with some fan-patch that gave me control over companions - game was much better (even if easier). I have no idea why Atom RPG can't have that feature.

There is a quest in Fogelevka(?) where you are supposed to deliver a package to the circus. If you go to the guard he will check the package out and it is actually Black Lotus drug and you burn it. That will tick off some drug dealers. I do not mind how companions are handled in principle, but they cannot handle even basic situations even when given commands simply because they are too stupid to heal themselves up even when they have top notch stimulants in their inventory, they either ignore them or use Kasparmid. I do like the interjections they give during some conversations and some of the banter you can occasional witness but this idiocy makes me want to go lone wolf. Or I just download that talent tree mod that gives the companions 3 points per level on any leve, 4 for the dog, and just give them defensive traits to the whazoo.

jackofshadows

Magister
How hard is it to program the AI to use the best drug for healing first during combat, not the worst. Feels like I have to take away the Kasparmid from them and only use it during dialogue. Still I have seen them at 5% HP and they still prefer to shoot vs using a life saving drug or two. Meanwhile the leader of the End of the Line raiders uses his Super Stimulant first. Why exactly does he act smarter than my companions again?
That's very weird. I played with companions only once but they used the best stuff pretty much always to the point that I took super-stims away so they wouldn't waste'em on some rat fights around Dead City. Btw, you can feed companions with kasparamid from hands, it's much more convenient (also you can give them food buffs and even drugs that way and also you can kill any NPCs by giving them dozens of sigs).
I chose rifles for Fidel, rifles and auto for Gex (since he has 8 ap he can shoot two times with shotguns HK33 and some other guns) and pistols/shield for the big guy. The only problem I had sometimes is a friendly fire. I'm not sure that you guys're aware but there's a pretty advanced system to command companions during the battle by holding mouse over them just like when you picking the locks etc. It's very convenient but I mostly used it for focus fire.

Takamori

Learned
On lvl 1 fight is not even starting, so I tought they got rid off it.
You have to choose the dialogue either to defend yourself or the STR check (The third dialogue) where you intimidate him, if you want the strat to work, you need to intimidate him so you have a headstart to pick the AK and the ammo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom