Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the game looks nice. Very safe and nothing we haven't seen before, but nice.

It's true that the Rauatai soldiers spoke like suburban dorks. That was the main flaw of the presentation to me.

RepHope

Savant
Graphically it looks better now than it did before. But the combat looks terrible which means they have to sell the game on the story. Not too confident in Obsidan’s ability there, especially with that terrible dialogue. If there’s one thing I hope BG3 causes, it’s to have attractive people in games again rather than making everyone potatoes to appease Cali fags and cat ladies.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"... a lot of great secrets to discover, one of which has a REALLY personal connection to you as the player character ..."

I'm starting a betting pool. Which family member is missing at the start of the game? My money's on twin sister.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"... a lot of great secrets to discover, one of which has a REALLY personal connection to you as the player character ..."

I'm starting a betting pool. Which family member is missing at the start of the game? My money's on twin sister.

That's Bethesda's schtick. It'll be something related to soul reincarnation, surely.

std::namespace

obshitian and their players
Qhl6cOc.png

isWJ68R.png

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Gameplay looks like a step up from TOW. Graphics/art design are about 10 steps up. I almost fell asleep when they were showcasing that quest though. Why are Obsidian chronically incapable of telling a compelling story?

"At the end of the quest, you have a choice."

In other words, this quest is walking back and forth between two NPCs (no doubt with a couple loading screens in between them) and then deciding whether to kill a guy or let him live at the end. G A M E D E S I G N

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Gameplay looks like a step up from TOW. Graphics/art design are about 10 steps up. I almost fell asleep when they were showcasing that quest though. Why are Obsidian chronically incapable of telling a compelling story?

"At the end of the quest, you have a choice."

In other words, this quest is walking back and forth between two NPCs (no doubt with a couple loading screens in between them) and then deciding whether to kill a guy or let him live at the end. G A M E D E S I G N

That "choice and consequence" scene does feel like they were forced to show something and didn't have anything worthwhile on hand.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Eh, I could tolerate TOW for 3 playthroughs, I think I'll be fine with this one.
Game looks like everything is made of plastic and the Sun shining on the surfaces and into your eyes reminds you of this.
Also seems like you have options in combat, melee, magic, shields, wands, a combinations of all of these and you can switch instantly from one loadout/weapon set to another which is good.
Dialogue is...not good. 3 options, still focuses on the face of the NPC...ehhhh.
Animations are rough. They probably didn't intend to showcase this but they had to. Which means that this is the best they have so far? With a fall release? Like I said, I can tolerate many things, including TOW. It can't be as bad. At least it has magic in it so that's always a plus.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I will file this away in my wishlist, where it will rest in wait for a deep discount. Combat makes or breaks this kind of game and it isn't looking stellar.

Not sure why showcase videos need to constantly return to the people who are talking. Makes one wonder why the length needed to be padded with that instead of game footage.

jf8350143

Liturgist
the environment looks nice, nothing special but still pretty good.

combat looks ok, needs more improvements on the sound and impact, not sure they will do it though.

character models look like crap comparing to the world environment. but at least they have a decent looking black female for once.

the c&C part looks god awful, but it's understandable because it looks like a minor side quest. The real question is why the fuck do they choose this to showcace.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the plasticky look of the wonderfully crafted 3d models of classic eoran monsters like xaurips evoke the miniatures that one would often see in tabletop role playing games. what an absolute delight that obsidian has gone down this route when bringing this classic world to life.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Did AI generate that setting?

AI would do better than ..

fampyrs = vampires
guls = ghouls
xaurips = kobolds
vithracks = illithid
godlikes = planetouched
vailian trading company = east india company
principi = pirates
neketaka = titikaka
etc.

Wow, so original. It must have taken them 2 brain cells to come up with this. Literally talentless copy paste / banal shite

PS I will never get tired of posting this

Last edited:

user

Savant
Damn, I didn't expect it to feel so bad. I actually laughed when they shot a pistol for the first time, it looks and sounds like a toy - overall combat seems to lack any impact, animations look weird and janky af and whole thing is plastic and gay.

Basically as expected, it's Outer Worlds in POE setting.

Pretty much this about the combat and animations. It looks terrible. DMoMM's way better that what was shown in this video.

Also, couldn't care less about switching loadouts on the fly - and because of this, something tells me that each "loadout" won't have particularly deep customization. Hope I'm wrong.
The C&C showcase did not actually show the consequence?
Environment looked satisfying at least.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Wonder between this and Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, which one will end up being the better Elder Scroll-like RPG? Despite Obsidian having bigger budget (Microsoft buck) than the devs of Tainted Grail, I have the feeling it will be the latter, especially after the borefest that is The Outer World.

user

Savant
If there’s one thing I hope BG3 causes, it’s to have attractive people in games again rather than making everyone potatoes to appease Cali fags and cat ladies.
I prefer a world where everyone is normal/gritty/ugly/pretty etc depending on their circumstances in the world. Perpetually horny Glamour Gate 3 where everyone looks like Zoolander and apparently uses hair conditioners, makeup, rouge and skin lotions daily, is ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom