Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Moink

Cipher
Looks like an early Spiders game.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
The game's combat doesn't seems as bad as I thought it would be.. Cool that CC spells are more present than most first person RPG.

Cross

Arcane
Combat tries into dark messiah of mm but I messiah still was mo4e fun probably.
It looks nothing like Dark Messiah. It looks like Skyrim, with the same stiff animations and banal enemy behavior. They even copied the "weapon in one hand, pew pew magic in the other hand" gimmick from Skyrim.

Dark Messiah had very satisfying hit feedback. It also had more interesting enemy behavior. Enemies could jump and climb, freeze you, pick you up and throw you around...

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Combat tries into dark messiah of mm but I messiah still was mo4e fun probably.
It looks nothing like Dark Messiah. It looks like Skyrim, with the same stiff animations and banal enemy behavior. They even copied the "weapon in one hand, pew pew magic in the other hand" gimmick from Skyrim.

Dark Messiah had very satisfying hit feedback. It also had more interesting enemy behavior. Enemies could jump and climb, freeze you, pick you up and throw you around...

Skyrim didnt have freezing and shattering combo for example, even though it sounds like banality that should be present in actionrpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't expect anything good after The Outer Worlds happened but I couldn't care less about the graphicswhore takes. Gotta wait till release to see if they manage to improve writing at all.
Let's be real here. When did anyone improve their writing during development? We get TOW writing style. Whoever doesn't like it, don't buy the game.

Quillon

Arcane
if you have a good game/a game you are proud of you show it like idk how long they been showing this indiana game? 20 mins? if you are ashamed of what you made you show it for 3 mins with a lot of quick cuts like Awoken

What race are the dudes from the quest example supposed to be? Aumaua? Look like humans with severe skin infection and nothing like the Deadfire facesets.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
One of the puzzling things about it is that good half of the combat footage involved wands and outside of one scene they just threw a bit of cum at the enemy and that was it. Even focusing on just slashing with swords etc. would look better.

frajaq

Erudite
Wow those gun animations looked rough, no weight, comical impact on the enemies... hope its work in progress

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Explore the Living Lands, a mysterious island filled with adventure and danger in this first deep dive into the gameplay experience you can expect in Avowed, our upcoming fantasy action RPG set in the fantastical, vibrant Living Lands.

Learn more about how we incorporate world-building with profound themes, dynamic gameplay, and thoughtful reactivity and bring them to life in Avowed, where you can make choices to shape every step of your adventure.

Terenty

Liturgist
Did AI generate that setting? I don't think you could come up with a more generic fantasy if you tried

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I totally spaced out watching that showcase, bored through my skull. Generic visuals, boring looking combat and staged, soulless PR talk.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Looks unimpressive as an action RPG (poor sound design, slow attack animations, negligible and awkward hit feedback, etc.) and a post-TOW Obsidian leaves no expectations for good worldbuilding/narrative.
Can't imagine there's much confidence in this if even a mainline Bethesda title managed to underwhelm audiences, releasing it late '24 around something like Stalker 2 is sending it out to die.

KVVRR

Learned
I don't remember enough about the setting so I'll just assume that the guns are flintlock and supposed to sound and feel weak, the wands are low level, and that the fishmen are supposed to look like their faces are bloated to a point they look like they're wearing them as a rubber mask, but man they need to fix those sword swings asap. A wild, repetitive swing with the enemy barely reacting and a quick splush of blood really doesn't sell it at all. They need to mess around with the colour hues too; the tropical setting looked more arid and less vibrant than the desert they were comparing it too just a moment ago.

Also fire whoever decided to shoot the interviews like that. It looks so damn awkward. It felt like they were doing a fallout cutscene sketch or something. Just have the devs sitting somewhere explaining the game, not in the middle of a busy room, with them either being shoved to the side but still on focus or perfectly center to it like (again) a npc dialogue scene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom