Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm not sure the Codex has actually gotten worse, but brofisting Tuco Benedicto Pacifico and Non-Edgy Gamer anyway to encourage everybody to make better posts. :obviously:

Then maybe practice what you preach and stop shilling popamole garbage all the time.

And tell your fellow Heeb to stop being such a pathetic simp for Swen, it's actually physically painful to watch.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Lead by example
Then maybe practice what you preach and stop shilling popamole garbage all the time.
Learn to read:
Btw, when did they remove the mindflayer battle from the crashed nautiloid? Did it get moved elsewhere, or axed entirely? Or am I not seeing him because he died during the battle with the demon?
When someone discussed the actual current state of the game, I responded and asked questions relating to it.

I have no problem having an actual novel or meaningful discussion relating to the game as it is now. I also have no problem not posting itt when there's nothing to discuss, so this accusation of me shilling the game is also baseless.

I check back itt whenever there's a new update, only to find that it's usually not being discussed at all, and that 90% of the posts are about muh gay vampire, the fact that the game doesn't have the same protagonist, the fact that Act 1 has no loading screens - or any number of other things you've known from day one, but can't stop reflexively spamming the thread about whenever you see it bumped to the top of RPG Discussion.

BruceVC

Magister
Lead by example
Learn to read:
Btw, when did they remove the mindflayer battle from the crashed nautiloid? Did it get moved elsewhere, or axed entirely? Or am I not seeing him because he died during the battle with the demon?
When someone discussed the actual current state of the game, I responded and asked questions relating to it.

I have no problem having an actual novel or meaningful discussion relating to the game as it is now. I also have no problem not posting itt when there's nothing to discuss, so this accusation of me shilling the game is also baseless.

I check back itt whenever there's a new update, only to find that it's usually not being discussed at all, and that 90% of the posts are about muh gay vampire, the fact that the game doesn't have the same protagonist, the fact that Act 1 has no loading screens - or any number of other things you've known from day one, but can't stop reflexively spamming the thread about whenever you see it bumped to the top of RPG Discussion.
Edgy you know what you guys who are negative about BG3 are overlooking, until the full version comes out you cant objectively say " this game is going to be shit "

You really cant, valid criticism about mechanics will become moot if you experience a grand narrative and RPG journey like BG1&2. No one is goig to care about optional gay Vampire companion

I am not suggesting you cant criticize what you have experienced so far, Im saying lets wait for full release until we write BG3 off if you still feel the same way?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Gay vampires are gay, but it's not just talking about gay vampires. It's indicative of a larger problem with larian products. If people here are going to say that story and other non purely gameplay elements are important in a video game - A sentiment that I don't agree with - then it's fair to comment on gay vampires. If larian is going to put such a focus on writing in the game that it's practically just as important or time consuming as the actual gameplay, it's only fair to criticize that aspect just as much as the gameplay itself. If people have been talking about gay vampires for three years it means two things:

1. larian is putting enough of an emphasis on writing that it's become a large enough part of the product, in which case it makes sense for people to critique it since you'll be engaging with it for so much of your play time.
2. larian is so bad at writing that it over shadows every other aspect of the game, to the point that people can't get over it for 3 years.

To be fair though, BG1+2 had Minsc, so it makes sense for BG3 to have a companion that's absolute ass as well. It's just weird that they also decided to add Minsc after replacing his obnoxiousness so perfectly.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Edgy you know what you guys who are negative about BG3 are overlooking, until the full version comes out you cant objectively say " this game is going to be shit "
You can. It's a perfectly valid thing to say, since it's implied that, in your opinion and given the evidence, it will be or not be a bad game. We are all adults here, and I hope we all know that none of us is capable of time travel or can see the future regarding this video game. So, I don't see this as a valid argument to dismiss such criticism.

What I have a problem with is the spamming of the same opinions over and over that have nothing to do with the current state of the game, and are just the same gripes this handful of posters have had for 3 years. It's not just "the game will suck", it's someone spamming about their hatred of muh gay elf for 3 years and then getting all buttbothered when others ask him to kindly shut his bitch face for five minutes.

That said, I'm not negative about the game. Not sure if you're skimming my posts, or you just meant "the guys" instead of "you guys".

BruceVC

Magister
You can. It's a perfectly valid thing to say, since it's implied that, in your opinion and given the evidence, it will be or not be a bad game. We are all adults here, and I hope we all know that none of us is capable of time travel or can see the future regarding this video game. So, I don't see this as a valid argument to dismiss such criticism.

What I have a problem with is the spamming of the same opinions over and over that have nothing to do with the current state of the game, and are just the same gripes this handful of posters have had for 3 years. It's not just "the game will suck", it's someone spamming about their hatred of muh gay elf for 3 years and then getting all buttbothered when others ask him to kindly shut his bitch face for five minutes.

That said, I'm not negative about the game. Not sure if you're skimming my posts, or you just meant "the guys" instead of "you guys".
Yes I didnt mean you, I meant the general negative sentiment which is based on early release and not full release experience. My bad :cool:

BruceVC

Magister
, valid criticism about mechanics will become moot if you experience a grand narrative
Disgusting storyfag.
I think we cant overlook the significance of the narrative in any RPG. It does matter and can ameliorate weak mechanics

For example take the Czech RPG Inquisitor, it had some bad frustrating combat mechanics like the mandatory spamming of healing potions ...and I really mean spamming of healing potions. But the dark narrative was absolutely compelling and the annoying combat became irrelevant

So the salient question is " how much does narrative matter "? I would say its critical to enjoyment and its the main overarching reason why you progress on the main narrative?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
But the dark narrative was absolutely compelling and the annoying combat became irrelevant
Many people stopped playing the game because of the horrible combat in Inquisitor. Despite liking everything except the combat.

Reinhardt

Arcane
especially considering "great narrative" by rpg games standards would be at best at the level of mediocre book. so basically you reading mediocre book with annoying shit constantly distracting you.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Don't get me wrong. The premise seems pretty cool with all those illithids(always liked those racist bastards), but I am really sick of Forgotten Realms cookie cutter high fantasy RPG's. Hell, you can even see it in the general aesthetic of the game, its similarity with Divinity.
And no, bringing Jaheira and Minsc back(a weak effort at nostalgia baiting) is not an achievement.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Lots of demihumans - elves, dwarves.
The general prevalence of magic.
Dragons, knights in shining armor.
Good and Evil kingdoms.
Stuff like this.
For example, while many people put Greyhawk into the High Fantasy category, I have also seen it put in the Low Fantasy category,believe it or not. Sword and sorcery, that's why Greyhawk is the best D&D setting.

jackofshadows

Magister
A "proper" RPG with they/them pronounces, queer galore, muh rapefugees quest trope, twitch integration, lots of mocapped sex… Good one, rusty.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
BG3 is already a massive success due to making so many nostalgiafags seethe 24/7 here.
See the what?
seethe.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom