Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All this example is completely wrong. Gygax was history buff and hardcore Christian before he created D&D. He made clerics this way because he knows how they were presented in culture, like Turpin from "La Chanson de Roland" or even Brother Tuck from Robin Hood.
The cleric class originated in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign, as a counterweight to the player-controlled villainous vampire Sir Fang, although it seems the prohibition against edged/piercing weapons came from Gary Gygax's interpretation of the class. See Bishop Carr - First D&D Cleric.
Never really understood this dumb restriction on the weapons a Cleric can use.
Bashing someone's skull in or bludgeoning their heads to death is a-ok, but Pelor forbid you use a sword to slash your enemies with...

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Art is rooted in life.
All this example is completely wrong. Gygax was history buff and hardcore Christian before he created D&D.
You've proved my point. No I don't remember the exact inspirations for every single thing in D&D. But wether Gygax and co based their decisions on Conan or Robin Hood, then the decision was not arbitrary. It was reasoned. And it was based on the designer's lives. Basing clerics off of Friar Tuck, a character they read about in childhood, is as far away from arbitrary as you can go.
Imagine engineer from car engines. Some ofengineer are good, some of them are bad. It's all depends on what kind of people they are. But how that fact change another fact, that there are rules how you projecting engines? Non. These rules come from nature and cultural regularities. So, as an engineer you are a person with particular personality who make arbitral choices, keeping in mind all rules connected with your subject.

Games works in similar games. There are less fully objective limitations, you can do even more than engender, but way remain same.

All this example is completely wrong. Gygax was history buff and hardcore Christian before he created D&D. He made clerics this way because he knows how they were presented in culture, like Turpin from "La Chanson de Roland" or even Brother Tuck from Robin Hood.
The cleric class originated in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign, as a counterweight to the player-controlled villainous vampire Sir Fang, although it seems the prohibition against edged/piercing weapons came from Gary Gygax's interpretation of the class. See Bishop Carr - First D&D Cleric.
Interesting. I didn't know that.
Bashing someone's skull in or bludgeoning their heads to death is a-ok, but Pelor forbid you use a sword to slash your enemies with...
It's biblical, but same way it works on East. Cub is a compromise between religious rules and life needs (world is a dangerous place).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Art is rooted in life.
All this example is completely wrong. Gygax was history buff and hardcore Christian before he created D&D.
You've proved my point. No I don't remember the exact inspirations for every single thing in D&D. But wether Gygax and co based their decisions on Conan or Robin Hood, then the decision was not arbitrary. It was reasoned. And it was based on the designer's lives. Basing clerics off of Friar Tuck, a character they read about in childhood, is as far away from arbitrary as you can go.
Imagine engineer from car engines. Some ofengineer are good, some of them are bad. It's all depends on what kind of people they are. But how that fact change another fact, that there are rules how you projecting engines? Non. These rules come from nature and cultural regularities. So, as an engineer you are a person with particular personality who make arbitral choices, keeping in mind all rules connected with your subject.

Games works in similar games. There are less fully objective limitations, you can do even more than engender, but way remain same.

Interesting. I didn't know that.
It's biblical, but same way it works on East. Cub is a compromise between religious rules and life needs (world is a dangerous place).
Ummm....
Can you into english, s'il vous plait?
Anyway, yeah, the club is one of the most primitive weapons, fashioned by our forebears when they would still OOGA BOOGA their way through Earth, so it was a "life need", not a religious one.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
It's based on the - apocryphal - ruling that real life clergy aren't allowed to spill blood.

so they should be allowed to use a sponge on a stick and not much else
http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0431/_PI.HTM

"No subdeacon, deacon, or priest shall practice that part of surgery involving burning and cutting."

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/15358/why-cant-clerics-use-sharp-weapons
"As the rough specs were drawn up, comments about the need for healing and for curing disease came up.
Ta da, the "priest" was born. Changed later to 'cleric'.
The bit about edged weapons was from Gary's reading the old stories about Archbishop Turpin [ed: later clarified to be Bishop Odo], who wielded a mace because he didn't want to shed blood ("who lives by the sword dies by the sword").
In other words, it came about the same way that 90% of the D&D rules came about :
WE MADE UP SOME [STUFF] THAT WE THOUGHT WOULD BE FUN."

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What's a solo Cleric gonna do against a monster who is only injured by slashing/piercing weapons?

Delterius

Arcane
So, as an engineer you are a person with particular personality who make arbitral choices
No you don't? If it was down to the engineer's personality then the car engine would explode. The chassis would be considered unappealing. The costs would go through the roof. You proved my point again. These decisions are reasoned, not arbitrary.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
literally reddit said:
So maybe I am overthinking this but in the animation Shadowheart casts Healing Hands, a racial ability of the Aasimar race. And according to the forgotten realms wiki: " Shar and Sseth in particular took pleasure in corrupting aasimar and turning them from the ways of their celestial forebears, nursing grudges fueled by the prejudice of others. "

So Shadowheart might be an Aasimar? or Larian is just trolling
cartoon.JPG

hmmm.JPG

Rhobar121

Scholar
I wouldn't go any deeper. Most likely someone just made a mistake.
It's not that hard to do, especially if you're not interested in dnd. Most likely, some random studio is responsible for the animation itself.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't know, Shadowheart does have a storyline where she (against her will) exhibits light powers. And she is connected to Selune in some way. I wouldn't discount it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's based on the - apocryphal - ruling that real life clergy aren't allowed to spill blood.
srgWURS.png

Cartoon appearing in Dragon Magazine #22, February 1979

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
srgWURS.png

Cartoon appearing in Dragon Magazine #22, February 1979
Nice!
Back when D&D had charm and humor...

La vie sexuelle

Learned
So, as an engineer you are a person with particular personality who make arbitral choices
No you don't? If it was down to the engineer's personality then the car engine would explode. The chassis would be considered unappealing. The costs would go through the roof. You proved my point again. These decisions are reasoned, not arbitrary.
So why there are many types of engines? Same reason why is so many RPG mechaniques - arbitrary decisions are make between objective boundaries. And in RPG these boundaries are much more distanced than in engineering.

Delterius

Arcane
So why there are many types of engines?
Precisely because the decisions involved are not arbitrary. You make a new engine to conform to new specifications, or to create new efficiencies, or to fit a new body. You make a new body to conform to new fashions, new specifications, and so on. Nothing involved here, except for copyright law, is arbitrary at all.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Precisely because the decisions involved are not arbitrary. You make a new engine to conform to new specifications, or to create new efficiencies, or to fit a new body. You make a new body to conform to new fashions, new specifications, and so on. Nothing involved here, except for copyright law, is arbitrary at all.
There is no such a thing like "pure arbitrary" or "pure imagination". All forms of arbitrary decisions we make between boundaries. We are free, but as long asworld let us. It's true for engines, it's true for RPG.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There is no such a thing like "pure arbitrary" or "pure imagination". All forms of arbitrary decisions we make between boundaries. We are free, but as long asworld let us. It's true for engines, it's true for RPG.

French were never good at philosophy I suppose.

Arbitrary is used generally to mean something that has no logical or reasonable basis. Someone making a subjective decision isn't necessarily arbitrary. Arbitrary does not mean personal preference which you are using it as. Also engines were a really bad example to use. What you mean is there is a lot of personal preference, taste and life experience that go into these decisions, someone with more befitting personal experience will make more reasonable decision. It isn't related to being arbitrary.

I agree with your argument broadly, it is important that someone who constructs a setting to have personal experiences that are conductive to making encompassing settings.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Arbitrary is used generally to mean something that has no logical or reasonable basis. ... . Arbitrary does not mean personal preference which you are using it as.
The old meaning of "arbitrary" was "determined by an arbiter's whim". Like if a judge makes a decision everyone thinks is bad. Its not the result of reason, or logic, or law, but the whim of the arbiter.
Obviously not how the word is used today, but might be relevant to the disagreement.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Arbitrary is used generally to mean something that has no logical or reasonable basis. ... . Arbitrary does not mean personal preference which you are using it as.
The old meaning of "arbitrary" was "determined by an arbiter's whim". Like if a judge makes a decision everyone thinks is bad. Its not the result of reason, or logic, or law, but the whim of the arbiter.
Obviously not how the word is used today, but might be relevant to the disagreement.

Arbitration and arbiter are still used of course in law terms and sometimes in idioms but yes it is how it is used when someone calls something arbitrary.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

French were never good at philosophy I suppose.

Arbitrary is used generally to mean something that has no logical or reasonable basis. Someone making a subjective decision isn't necessarily arbitrary. Arbitrary does not mean personal preference which you are using it as. Also engines were a really bad example to use. What you mean is there is a lot of personal preference, taste and life experience that go into these decisions, someone with more befitting personal experience will make more reasonable decision. It isn't related to being arbitrary.

I agree with your argument broadly, it is important that someone who constructs a setting to have personal experiences that are conductive to making encompassing settings.

I will clarify what I meant by arbitrary - having freedom to choose whatever you want in the world that is limiting potential choices. An engine example is good to present this concept at basic level, when we have objective physical limitations. Projecting of RPG has less boundaries and that fact could took as too pure idealistic statement that "everything is possible in projecting RPG" which I disagree. But we're getting possibility to reshape many things in abstract reality of gaming mechanics as long we understand how this abstraction works on its internals rules.
In simpler words - We are forced to live a life and this life is forming our shape as people and creators.

literally reddit said:
So maybe I am overthinking this but in the animation Shadowheart casts Healing Hands, a racial ability of the Aasimar race. And according to the forgotten realms wiki: " Shar and Sseth in particular took pleasure in corrupting aasimar and turning them from the ways of their celestial forebears, nursing grudges fueled by the prejudice of others. "

So Shadowheart might be an Aasimar? or Larian is just trolling
View attachment 37550

View attachment 37551

Returning to Baldur's Gate - I thing that is one of this Dark Justiciars. Background is definitely Underdark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom