Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Drakortha

Liturgist
Drakortha will be on suicide watch soon.
The Crapcom fanboys said exactly the same thing to me when I called their beloved RE4 Remake a pile of shit. In the end I was right. Absolutely nobody gave a damn about that game 1 week after it was out. Nobody is going to be talking about BG3 besides the Larian fags. The whole entire rest of the gaming sphere will move onto the next piece of gutter trash. Probably Avowed or some shit.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Larian have beaten the game that we thought couldn't be beaten. They found the way to make turn-based that sells. Fulfilling the dreams of generations of Codexers.

The price we had to pay for that? Gay bear sex. A heavy cost. I pay it gladly.

Nintendo figured that out many decades ago with Pokemon. So maybe they could have sold more copies if you can have gay sex with Pikachu?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The Crapcom fanboys said exactly the same thing to me when I called their beloved RE4 Remake a pile of shit. In the end I was right. Absolutely nobody gave a damn about that game 1 week after it was out.
Resident Evil 4 sold more than three million copies in the first two days of release.[72] It sold four million copies in its first two weeks, making it one of the fastest-selling Resident Evil games.[73] In Japan, it was the best-selling retail game in its first week, selling 89,662 copies on PlayStation 5 and 85,371 on PlayStation 4.[74]

Drakortha

Liturgist
Resident Evil 4 sold more than three million copies in the first two days of release.[72] It sold four million copies in its first two weeks, making it one of the fastest-selling Resident Evil games.[73] In Japan, it was the best-selling retail game in its first week, selling 89,662 copies on PlayStation 5 and 85,371 on PlayStation 4.[74]
Justin Bieber sells a lot of albums.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, he does. And people who say he's a failure are stupid and wrong. He's clearly succeeding at moving his product, and many people like it.

Peachcurl

Arcane
Yeah, he does. And people who say he's a failure are stupid and wrong. He's clearly succeeding at moving his product, and many people like it.
"But the people are retarded."

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
"But the people are retarded."
The people determine if a product is successful, by consooooming or not consoooooming. So if you will appeal to success, you appeal to the masses.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Larian have beaten the game that we thought couldn't be beaten. They found the way to make turn-based that sells. Fulfilling the dreams of generations of Codexers.

The price we had to pay for that? Gay bear sex. A heavy cost. I pay it gladly.

They did more than that. DOS2 captured the mainstream because it was a mainstream game, and lotssa Codexers hated it for it. Despite the angst in this thread, BG3 is much more traditional in its TB mechanics, and the marketing and buzz has been wildly successful despite it. That's fairly impressive. In hindsight, the marriage between nuWOTC and Larian was a good fit in terms of breaking a nerdy, mechanically heavy RPG into an expensive production that could bear the weight of its costs by selling enough. Despite me being meh on DOS and hating DOS2 (one of the few TB rpgs I've not completed because of it), I gotta hand it to Larian.

The comparison to Bieber is poor though. Bieber and Transformers sell because they are mainstream trash produced to the lowest common denominator. Whether you like BG3 or not (my personal jury's still very out), its game design and mechanics are decidedly not mainstream. They've succeeded in mass marketing what is essentially a niche product.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The comparison to Bieber is poor though. Bieber and Transformers sell because they are mainstream trash produced to the lowest common denominator. Whether you like BG3 or not (my personal jury's still very out), its game design and mechanics are decidedly not mainstream. They've succeeded in mass marketing what is essentially a niche product.
You are right, I shouldn't entertain this bearfucker's bad analogies. Hail Swen!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not long ago, game journos praised every new RPG release for lifting RPGs from the "burden" of dice-rolling. They criticized Pillars for all its "legacy RPG mechanics" like all the numbers running underneath the hood. Larian is marketing BG3 by putting the dice front and center, literally having a slow ass dice animation play whenever you do much of anything and the same journos are clapping their hands.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Not long ago, game journos praised every new RPG release for lifting RPGs from the "burden" of dice-rolling. They criticized Pillars for all its "legacy RPG mechanics" like all the numbers running underneath the hood. Larian is marketing BG3 by putting the dice front and center, literally having a slow ass dice animation play whenever you do much of anything and the same journos are clapping their hands.
That's because they are trendy faggots. They will follow and agree with whatever is popular, the same way you do. You don't even question if BG3 is a true sequel that lives up to it's name by the sum of it's parts. You only care that it's popular. That's how YOU measure Larian as a competent studio.

"Well done Larian, you got lots of sales, gotta hand it to you!"

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Drakortha will be on suicide watch soon.
The Crapcom fanboys said exactly the same thing to me when I called their beloved RE4 Remake a pile of shit. In the end I was right. Absolutely nobody gave a damn about that game 1 week after it was out. Nobody is going to be talking about BG3 besides the Larian fags. The whole entire rest of the gaming sphere will move onto the next piece of gutter trash. Probably Avowed or some shit.
So only games that are popular and talked about matter?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You only care that it's popular.

I do?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
btw Roguey when will you do your conclusion on bg3's commercial success/failure

a true codex autist will not trust anyone but you to carry out this essential task and pronounce your judgment

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I think it's probably a combination of tabletop resurgence, DOS2s past success and BG3s preorder/EA numbers. Journos got carried away by the hype. Mainstream media wouldn't treat this much differently than Pillars 2 otherwise, I think.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I think it's probably a combination of tabletop resurgence, DOS2s past success and BG3s preorder/EA numbers. Journos got carried away by the hype. Mainstream media wouldn't treat this much differently than Pillars 2 otherwise, I think.

Mainstream gaming media is extremely mercenary in nature. They were paid to be excited about it, so they will be for as long as the checks clear.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Mainstream gaming media is extremely mercenary in nature. They were paid to be excited about it, so they will be for as long as the checks clear.
Nah it's legit good hence also all of the positive reviews on Steam.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

Define "paid".

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Romances are non-issue because they can be ignored. Any retard who cries about this shit outs themselves as degenerate that wants to participate in their chosen degenerate version of romance. The only exception is if someone criticises the concept of romance in RPG:s, this is based and encouraged.

You can't ignore combat systems, like making fundamental changes to how multiclassing work. Especially if higher difficulties are balanced around them.

Who do you actually know that has ever said they play RPG just for Romance? I have heard that allegation before but I find it hard to believe considering Romance is an optional and small part of the overall components of any RPG

PeopLe like me enjoy Romance but its definitely not the main reason we play RPG

No, thats not accurate. Just ignore it because you dont have to participate in it

It can be done, I promise you. You can choose what Romance arcs you want to initiate. It surprises me some people seem to think you MUST be part of every possible Romance option. I have never played any RPG like that

It's surprising that with a new CRPG with turn based combat, choices and consequences and reactivity coming out people focus on the adjacent content that you will never see unless you engage with it.

My theory is that the BG3-haters are closeted bearfuckers who secretly fear that they will not be able to suppress their unnatural urges if given the opportunity to act on them.

That leads to them to lashing out against the game, like all those closeted homos in the Repuiblican party and the evangelical churches lash out against faggotry.

See all these quotes? Every single one of them is going to get their asses fucked by a bear in a videogame. They are all bonafied zoophiliacs. They defend this, because they like it. It's because they agree that this should be part of gaming going forward. They are more than happy to spend their time and possibly money to achieve this level of degenerecy and to let companies know that this is what they want. They can pretend they will set the game to the hardest difficulty and "not choose the options" to get fucked by a bear, and "not choose the option" to jerk off some black dude so his spells don't fizzle. But they will be voting for this as GoTY, posting about its combat, while they have their dick in their hand, working on their 5th playthrough (on story mode difficulty), just to make sure they didn't miss out on any further scenes involving animals.
I dont agree with this post because your premise is wrong and that makes the rest of the post wrong. I dont how how many more times it can be explained before you understand what most of us think about the bear sex scene but I will try one more time

Your premise is "Every single one of them is going to get their asses fucked by a bear in a videogame ". Thats wrong, I am not going to initiate the bear scene or the gay Vampire scene but I might have them in my party because of combat effectiveness and side-quests. I havent decided yet and only will when I play BG3

And the reason I wont initiate either of those Romance options is because they not my preference,
I only Romance women in RPG
I understand, they are not easy to get along with in real life

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom