Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

scytheavatar

Scholar
https://www.eurogamer.net/larian-on...g-a-new-era-and-games-youve-never-heard-about

Great interview with some new insights. Highlights:

So, Divinity: Original Sin 1 comes out, it's successful, and it starts this new chapter for Larian. Now, after it comes out, you announced that you were making two games. One of them was Original Sin 2; what was the other one?

We were making two games... DOS2... What was the other game? We had many projects that we then cancelled. I have to remember. I don't remember. Was this after DOS1?

Yeah. It was 2014.

I don't remember. It must have been something small that we thought was going to be bigger and then it didn't materialise. There's been a lot of those. I mean there's always little things that you try out, sometimes bigger.

Any that you can talk about?

Well, Fallen Heroes. We announced that we closed it [put it on hold indefinitely]. That didn't work out.

Is that gone for good, then?

Yeah, it's gone for good.

And there's one that you never knew about - I can tell you that. Soul for Frost Island was the code name. It was a separate game based on DOS2. It got quite far in development.

What did you do in it?

It was DOS2 with new mechanics. I'm not going to tell you what the mechanics are because we're going to reuse them for something else at some point, but it was its own story, it was fairly far in advancement, and we killed it in favour of something else.

It's very hard to make multiple games at the same time. It's the next big step essentially, figuring it out. We've tried it multiple times, we've failed multiple times. The funny thing is that we used to do it when we were doing work for hire, we did all our games at the same time, so it's not that we don't know how to do it. But who knows? We'll see if we're successful with the next one. We'll be a little bit more careful in announcing it.

So while this is going on, Original Sin 2 comes out and does very well. Can you talk about how many copies those two Divinity: Original Sin games have sold?

I actually don't know on DOS1. It's a lot. DOS2 is more.

[Laughs] Can you be more specific?

You're going to quote me so I don't want to say a quote which is not true on this.

I want to say, but I'm not sure if it's true, that DOS2 sold three times DOS1. 'Many millions' is the real answer. Enough to sustain something like BG3 and allow us to develop it.

And when I look at BG3 in early access: it's got nearly 60,000 'very positive' reviews on Steam, which is the kind of number usually reserved for the most popular games on the platform. It suggests it has sold an awful lot of copies. How does its success compare to DOS2 - is it an order of magnitude higher?

Oh vastly, yeah. It's vastly more successful than DOS2. You can't compare it. I think it's five-times in early access, if not more. I don't know the numbers by heart - it sounds crazy but it's true. But it's much, much, much more successful than DOS2 was in early access. But that's normal because a lot of people now trust the company, trust the type of gameplay that we bring, so they converted early on.

But no, BG3 is way more successful as an early access title. We will figure out if it's going to be way more successful after, then we'll be happy. But I don't know.

OK and finally, to come back to that CD Projekt analogy from earlier: after The Witcher 3, CDPR doubled in size to get Cyberpunk 2077 out. I guess from their point of view, they couldn't shrink and do less than they did with their previous game, and it probably wasn't enough to stay the same. Where do you sit with this kind of consideration - do you feel like after BG3 you have to do more, and get bigger?

Actually there's a strong push within the company now to consolidate in size, because we grew much more than we wanted to.

Oh I see.

We didn't want to grow this much but we had to because this game required it. What we wanted to do was cinematic, triple-A, storytelling RPGs driven by systemics and multiplayer - it's always the same. It's what we want to do. We're getting really good at it.

We didn't expect that we needed so much to be able to do it. Nobody expected, like, lighting people or sound people. You're making a movie, right - you're making a lot of movies - in this case one and a half times all the seasons of Game of Thrones. That's a lot of movies that have to be made. But you need everybody that you need on a movie set. That's a lot of people. That's where that comes from.

At the same time, we wanted to increase the choice, so all teams grew much more than we wanted them to. We didn't expect this growth. So now we want to manage it. We want to consolidate a bit so that we can focus, and then we'll see.

I'm not going to say what the future plans are going to be; they're going to be defined by the success of BG3, defined by the needs of the next game, because each game has its language that you need to learn to talk it. Maybe we'll make a game like Into the Breach - who knows? [laughs]

On that point: you've found a lot of success with turn-based games. Does that now define what you do - are you a turn-based developer?

Yeah. Ask me my favourite games-

Would you ever push out of that?

Yeah for sure. I like a lot of things. But I'm never going to say no to a turn-based combat system because I like them a lot, I think they're a lot of fun. They work really well. They're much more approachable.

I think if anything I would like to... Never mind, I'm not going to say that!

No - finish your thought!

[Laughs]

But it's not the be all and end all. It's got to be good. I don't want to make a combat system that's 'oh it's like that game'. If it doesn't have all the freedom and the systems, and it doesn't allow you to express the identity of your character, then I probably wouldn't like it. If somebody already did it exactly the same, I wouldn't want to do it either. So it would have to be something new, which is hard in real-time - I don't actually know how we would do it.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Why don't you try posting in the threads that are about the games you like, if there even is such a thing, rather than threads about games you don't care about/hate ?
More Larian Fag behavior. You think threads like this are supposed to be your safe space? Get real.

If you want a safe space so badly there's always reddit. You can downvote any negative opinions you don't like into oblivion, and you can shill garbage games without consequences because everyone will always agree with you. It's a BG3 meme fanclub over there, you'll love it.

Kiste

Augur
More Larian Fag behavior. You think threads like this are supposed to be your safe space? Get real.

If you want a safe space so badly there's always reddit. You can downvote any negative opinions you don't like into oblivion, and you can shill garbage games without consequences because everyone will always agree with you. It's a BG3 meme fanclub over there, you'll love it.

You forgot to mention that BG3 does not have a day/night cycle and therefor lacks the neccessary "innovation".

Drakortha

Liturgist

Drakortha

Liturgist
Look at these fucking questions. This is why BG3 is the way that it is. Everyone in this industry today is a BITCH

"Do you actively guard against crunch - are you on the lookout for it?"

Please make it stop

s8Ydca6.png

Drakortha

Liturgist
i hope game will be huge success and they will make bg4.
And a TV show, and a toy line, and the king of Belgium giving Joe Biden a copy of the game when he visits.
Bethesda are already well on their way doing this to Fallout. Larian will do it all given the opportunity. You think they have more integrity than Bethesda? You're dead wrong.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I hope it will be so successful that no other game will dare to release without bear sex.
The TESVI trailer will open with implied bear sex after Swen slamdunks on Todd this year.
tes6 WILL have bear sex no matter if todd wants it or not. modders will deliver.
You will never see bears anywhere again. The meme was dead after 1 day. Desperado's in this thread keep bringing it up in hopes it will rekindle the flame but it's dead now and doesn't live anywhere outside of Reddit.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope it will be so successful that no other game will dare to release without bear sex.
The TESVI trailer will open with implied bear sex after Swen slamdunks on Todd this year.
tes6 WILL have bear sex no matter if todd wants it or not. modders will deliver.
You will never see bears anywhere again. The meme was dead after 1 day. Desperado's in this thread keep bringing it up in hopes it will rekindle the flame but it's dead now and doesn't live anywhere outside of Reddit.
Your cope becomes unbearable

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Just twenty days remain.
I wonder how hard our friend will meltdown when the reviews and sales figures come out.

From the eurogamer article:

"DOS2 sold three times DOS1. 'Many millions' is the real answer. Enough to sustain something like BG3 and allow us to develop it."

"BG3 is vastly more successful than DOS2. You can't compare it. I think it's five-times in early access, if not more. I don't know the numbers by heart - it sounds crazy but it's true. But it's much, much, much more successful than DOS2 was in early access."

Drakortha will be on suicide watch soon.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian have beaten the game that we thought couldn't be beaten. They found the way to make turn-based that sells. Fulfilling the dreams of generations of Codexers.

The price we had to pay for that? Gay bear sex. A heavy cost. I pay it gladly.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Larian have beaten the game that we thought couldn't be beaten. They found the way to make turn-based that sells. Fulfilling the dreams of generations of Codexers.

The price we had to pay for that? Gay bear sex. A heavy cost. I pay it gladly.
And my axe!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom