Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

EvilWolf

Learned
rpg of the decade confirmed

hhbpqne99rcb1.jpg
"Baldur's Gate III" "The Fantasy RPG Of The Decade" "The Year of Our Lord Twenty Twenty-Three"
Games urinalism everybody.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Aside the combat the game is just pure garbage. Writing us awfyk. Artstyle everything even voice acting and cinematics is atrocious.
I was similarly disappointed with Solasta. I don't want to shit too hard on the devs because it's a small studio and a great adaptation of 5e but I'm too much of a storyfag to be able to enjoy something lacking so much in that department

Barbarian

Arcane
Leftist treat everything as propaganda and they always write propaganda. Moorcock have or had a talent, but he is limited to his political obsessions. With time it gets even more clear.
That's not limited to the left. See Terry Goodkind.

Terry was objectively (ha!) anomaly (ha!). There are right wing fantasy/sci-fi writers in Anglosphere, but theirs publishing life is limited to Amazon PDF and Twitter. Real writters (publishing on paper) are turboleftist and that is the reason why this branch of literature is dead.

Elric was always a pompous, whiny edgelord...just like Michael Moorcock.

It's strange how Moorcock strains my ability to ignore the author's persona in my reception of their work, yet plenty of people of ostensibly worse character quality do not.

There's something deeply off-putting about a man who would campaign to have the works of a fellow author removed from the bookshelves, regardless of reason.

Art always come from author personality. Treat that make you an awful person could make you a good writer. Moorcock is problematic, just like Alan Moore. Thier craziness is mixed with real talent, but with every decade negatives prevail positives more and more. Perhaps they was change as a people too.

Moorcock doesn't hold a candle to other pulp staples which helped inspire P&P such as Howard and Lovecraft.

Still, thematically the character is very entertaining. Isn't there an anecdote that he was originally envisioned as the very antithesis of Conan, Kull and the other Howardian heroes? Instead of the strong and free manly warrior sigma you get a sickly albino dweeb who can barely walk without help when he isn't using sorcery or drugs. Who is also a prisoner to his people's heritage and traditions(as opposed to the free-wheeling Conan and likes).

Come to think of it he would be an ideal Conan villain in many ways.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Look i played the EA if the level of dynamism and choices and concequences is like that for all the game. Is indeed one of the most innovative rpg to play. I was super impressed by it.

Barbarian

Arcane
Bear sex and tranyisms aside, just reading how game devs are shitting themselves in that thread makes me think this game is pure incline.
I also had little interest on BG3, but the non-stop seething from devs made me curious.

Game will be obvious incline despite its much touted wokery and faggotry, just as the crashfinder games were incline despite the wokery and faggotry in them.

In terms of C&C, reactivity and production values this is obviously leagues above any rpg released so far and will raise the bar. Hence the whining.

I have serious doubts about the writing and combat, but will see how it is all put together.

Saravan

Savant
Bear sex and tranyisms aside, just reading how game devs are shitting themselves in that thread makes me think this game is pure incline.
I also had little interest on BG3, but the non-stop seething from devs made me curious.

Game will be obvious incline despite its much touted wokery and faggotry, just as the crashfinder games were incline despite the wokery and faggotry in them.

In terms of C&C, reactivity and production values this is obviously leagues above any rpg released so far and will raise the bar. Hence the whining.

I have serious doubts about the writing and combat, but will see how it is all put together.
If the combat is shit all that other stuff is meaningless. Who gives a fuck about how gay NPCs react to my character if you don’t have satisfying combat?

Barbarian

Arcane

If the combat is shit all that other stuff is meaningless. Who gives a fuck about how gay NPCs react to my character if you don’t have satisfying combat?

I agree. I haven't played the EA, but from what I have seem combat seems entertaining enough.

There are so many factors though, such as balancing. If their recently touted higher difficulty level is really made of challenging tactical goodness this could be a great game.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The combat is very very good. I like it as is turnbased but is not grid based on top of that you have a lot of dynamism on how you can face the combat. You can shove. Exactly like in the pen and paper problem is. Ennemies can do that do and will most likely do that so is a double edged sword. Encounters are created masterfully even in the EA harpies used their voice to daze your characters flying on top of the ledges and attacking you with ranged attack from the distance. Spiders actually used net to block and surround you. Minotaurs instead if your party was too much close to each other would charge in making everyone fall down. Bulettes were actually digging underground and attacking from below. And mages would use the same spells you have access too. Positioning is the key and in many instances there was a lot of verticality to be used or used by ennemies.

BG3 is already a success. It's already on the millions. That's AAA territory for rpgs. And it's a western made turn based game, which used to be a hard sell a few years ago but apparently not anymore. There could be also a sense of jealousy that Larian was the only dev that actually profited from the Kickstarter craze, and was probably the only one who got where the others wanted to be. Now they are the face of the genre and they're there thanks to sticking to "old fashioned" stuff like turn based combat. So much for the progress that real time shit would've brought to the genre.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
You'll be the only one doing any combat. The rest of your party will still be at the campfire painting each others nails, giggling, talking about cute boys and eating sweetrolls while you're being torn to shreds by a pack of dire wolves.

You'll be the only one doing any combat. The rest of your party will still be at the campfire painting each others nails, giggling, talking about cute boys and eating sweetrolls while you're being torn to shreds by a pack of dire wolves.
That's what you get for going with an all female party, it's not like in the japanese animes

jaekl

Learned
Patron
That's what you get for going with an all female party, it's not like in the japanese animes
There aren't any men !!!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Apparently Illithid powers are now a whole skill tree. A pretty substantial improvement over the EA content, which just had it as class-specific powers, similar to the bhaalspawn powers in BG1&2.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

and only available if you rp into them by accepting the temptation? interesting

when it comes to feature creep this game is starting to look like the emperor of them

then again, is it really feature creep if they're all implemented well

this game will either be a spectacular success or a really weird failure

seems like half-elf got polearm profiency to compensate losing +1 attribute point :shredder:

cjdkg16cvrcb1.jpg
Those motherfuckers are shoving polearm proficiency to everyone not just humans, what next dwarfs too?

I guess the idea is that the polearm prof is from the human part of their ancestry lol

so weird

Last edited:

Darth Valer

Literate
So on an another note i tried to install Solasta today for playing a bit with the 5th edition ruleset. Made a character played for an hour and hell:

How bad it is?
Aside the combat the game is just pure garbage. Writing us awfyk. Artstyle everything even voice acting and cinematics is atrocious.

Compared with what i saw about bg3 in the EA Solasta is like a mere toddler. And no is not because the team is small that's not even trying.

I think bg3 will bomb and will be glorious.
To be honest I played Solasta and really enjoyed its combat and fidelity to the core ruleset of 5th edition.

It has several core features that BG 3 will likely never have, neither with mods nor DLC/Expansion, and which I sorely miss.

The main one is the stealth system: in Solasta enemies have both cones of vision and sound awareness. Your characters make noise in a circle around them that is larger the heavier the armor they wear and the lower their stealth proficiency. It's a very simple system but effective nonetheless. BG 3 on the other hand has only cones of vision, and that makes stealth a joke in several scenarios. A 7 Dexterity fatass with Plate Armor can get behind an enemy while farting and burping and not get noticed, benefiting from a Surprise round, which makes zero sense and doesn't involve stealth checks at all, provided you stay out of the stupid cones. Terrible design imho.

Another point is enemy information: in BG 3 you can click "Examine" on whatever creature you can see and have access to the full list of attributes, feats, genealogic tree and what not. Solasta has a cooler system where the info you can access to is contained in a Bestiary that updates with skill checks from your party members and by killing certain enemy types again and again, which is much more immersive. If you see a never seen before enemy, you know nothing about them, which is fair and good and fun.

Probably the most important element is tridimensionality and verticality. Solasta game scenes are structured with a tridimensional matrix made of 5-foot nodes and that allows you to interact with space points in the air. You can target a spherical AoE spell in the center between the floor and a turret and aim it so that it hits enemies both on the ground and higher up. Most of all, you can "actually" fly and choose points in the air to position yourself and look for particular angles and geometries to hit your Evocation spells like Lightning Bolt. I remember I had my Wizard cast Fly on my 2 Handed Fighter and had him trade blows with a levitating nasty creature in the air. It was cool and epic as fuck, and BG 3 design of space will never allow it, as far as I know. Flying is simply a super long jump, and you can't aim spells mid air :(

Last but not least, Solasta has day / night cycles and a world map where you can plan travels, deciding how fast you want to go (increasing or decreasing the risk of ambushes) and how many weighty rations you want to load your characters inventory with.
The day / night cycles has next to no consequences in the game world since it's really static and NPCs have non-existent AIs, but there have been cases where I waited for nightime to solve quests exploiting the lack of outdoor light, which was very cool for someone such as I that enjoys Rogue gameplay.

Solasta also had a pretty much perfect reaction system when BG 3's EA didn't even have the Shield spell. Moreover Solasta implements the Sneak Attack correctly, while BG 3 has it on a specific button that prevents you, for example, from using a Fire Arrow on a Sneak Attack, because arrows are not equipped and you have to click on them in your inventory to use them for a specific attack. Solasta also has consumables on Actions (not Bonus Actions) and allows you to use consumables on friendly NPCs (in BG 3 you have TO FUCKING THROW POTIONS AT YOUR ALLIES TO HEAL THEM).

If BG 3 had all this stuff I've mentioned, on top of everything else, it'd probably a Christ-like cRPG. The way it is now, it'll be a really good game with yellow teeth and smelly armpits.
I actually dream of working for them so that I won't have a high enough role to have my voice heard and will end up implementing systems I hate :shittydog:

(Ah, of course everything else in Solasta is shit-tier, from writing to graphics to cinematic to voice acting to non linearity to "liveliness" of the world, not to mention that when you have triggered dialogue your party assembles in front of the NPCs no matter where they are and they start the potential following combat in fixed positions, whereas in BG 3 you have the absolute freedom to do whatever you want, including never speak to anyone at all and kill everything on sight)

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So on an another note i tried to install Solasta today for playing a bit with the 5th edition ruleset. Made a character played for an hour and hell:

How bad it is?

Compared with what i saw about bg3 in the EA Solasta is like a mere toddler. And no is not because the team is small that's not even trying.

I think bg3 will bomb and will be glorious.
To be honest I played Solasta and really enjoyed its combat and fidelity to the core ruleset of 5th edition.

It has several core features that BG 3 will likely never have, neither with mods nor DLC/Expansion, and which I sorely miss.

The main one is the stealth system: in Solasta enemies have both cones of vision and sound awareness. Your characters make noise in a circle around them that is larger the heavier the armor they wear and the lower their stealth proficiency. It's a very simple system but effective nonetheless. BG 3 on the other hand has only cones of vision, and that makes stealth a joke in several scenarios. A 7 Dexterity fatass with Plate Armor can get behind an enemy while farting and burping and not get noticed, benefiting from a Surprise round, which makes zero sense and doesn't involve stealth checks at all, provided you stay out of the stupid cones. Terrible design imho.

Another point is enemy information: in BG 3 you can click "Examine" on whatever creature you can see and have access to the full list of attributes, feats, genealogic tree and what not. Solasta has a cooler system where the info you can access to is contained in a Bestiary that updates with skill checks from your party members and by killing certain enemy types again and again, which is much more immersive. If you see a never seen before enemy, you know nothing about them, which is fair and good and fun.

Probably the most important element is tridimensionality and verticality. Solasta game scenes are structured with a tridimensional matrix made of 5-foot nodes and that allows you to interact with space points in the air. You can target a spherical AoE spell in the center between the floor and a turret and aim it so that it hits enemies both on the ground and higher up. Most of all, you can "actually" fly and choose points in the air to position yourself and look for particular angles and geometries to hit your Evocation spells like Lightning Bolt. I remember I had my Wizard cast Fly on my 2 Handed Fighter and had him trade blows with a levitating nasty creature in the air. It was cool and epic as fuck, and BG 3 design of space will never allow it, as far as I know. Flying is simply a super long jump, and you can't aim spells mid air :(

Last but not least, Solasta has day / night cycles and a world map where you can plan travels, deciding how fast you want to go (increasing or decreasing the risk of ambushes) and how many weighty rations you want to load your characters inventory with.
The day / night cycles has next to no consequences in the game world since it's really static and NPCs have non-existent AIs, but there have been cases where I waited for nightime to solve quests exploiting the lack of outdoor light, which was very cool for someone such as I that enjoys Rogue gameplay.

Solasta also had a pretty much perfect reaction system when BG 3's EA didn't even have the Shield spell. Moreover Solasta implements the Sneak Attack correctly, while BG 3 has it on a specific button that prevents you, for example, from using a Fire Arrow on a Sneak Attack, because arrows are not equipped and you have to click on them in your inventory to use them for a specific attack. Solasta also has consumables on Actions (not Bonus Actions) and allows you to use consumables on friendly NPCs (in BG 3 you have TO FUCKING THROW POTIONS AT YOUR ALLIES TO HEAL THEM).

If BG 3 had all this stuff I've mentioned, on top of everything else, it'd probably a Christ-like cRPG. The way it is now, it'll be a really good game with yellow teeth and smelly armpits.
I actually dream of working for them so that I won't have a high enough role to have my voice heard and will end up implementing systems I hate :shittydog:

(Ah, of course everything else in Solasta is shit-tier, from writing to graphics to cinematic to voice acting to non linearity to "liveliness" of the world, not to mention that when you have triggered dialogue your party assembles in front of the NPC no matter where they are and they start the potential following combat in fixed positions, whereas in BG 3 you have the absolute freedom to do whatever you want, including never speak to anyone at all and kill everything on sight)

While I agree with all your points and would have liked those things in bg3 as well, it’s just too bad none of it matters in solasta because the actual content (from encounters to monster design to context) is so terrible

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
and only available if you rp into them by accepting the temptation? interesting

when it comes to feature creep this game is starting to look like the emperor of them

then again, is it really feature creep if they're all implemented well

this game will either be a spectular success or a really weird failure
Speaking of standards, CDPR and others lowered them already.

Games don't need to be polished on release. You can have dozens of bugs and people will still try and use mods to fix it, or wait 2 years for a patch/expansion like with Cyberpunk. Wrath of the Tranny had its 200 classes of which many had bugs galore.

I agree this is feature creep the game, but if they even kind of work, what's their competition? Cyberpunk? WotR? Starfield with whatever jank you know that it will have and probably never patch.

By lowering market expectations, the AAA devs have really set up Larian to potentially outclass everything they've done for the past decade, save maybe TW3.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I kinda remember in 90s we used system that assumed that enemies actually look around, so vision was a circle around them. Frankly, why wouldn't some monster look behind? It might do so randomly. No problem.

BTW goats have 300 degree vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom