Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think you just described the entire FR setting.
It's painfully American at times, but that doesn't change how much sillier the end results would be if everything was just ad-hoc'd. Having access to everything doesn't automatically mean using everything, nevermind focusing on everything. But they have options, and likely have some license expand on aspects they want to be more evocative.

It's far from my favourite setting but that was never the point. The cost in time and money to build a fresh world with even half the legacy to draw upon was the point (or even expand an existing one to the same effect); it's a huge effort to make even a shody knock-off equivalent to Tolkien's work and the sense of history that comes with such a sustained long-term effort. Both the engine and IP are huge in allowing time and money to be redirected elsewhere, but I'm not not putting either on a pedestal over the other. They're both incredibly important to the success of an RPG.

(And beyond that the weight of this IP also presumably contributed a lot to their EA success, which helped expand the scope in its own way.)
The Forgotten Realms setting would have been extraordinarily simple to replace, since it is merely the most generic D&D/AD&D setting possible, employed by TSR as a replacement for the Greyhawk setting as the standard, default AD&D campaign setting following the ouster of Gary Gygax in October 1985. No real thought or development needs to be put into the creation of such a setting, just the re-utilization of long-established fantasy tropes to provide the framework for the sort of characters and quests that the developers already wanted to place in whatever setting they had available.

Generica-Map.jpg

Only-Fantasy-World-Map.jpg

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Token black guy the most rejected origin/companion?

Who would have guessed.

And the hamster retard the second most rejected. Maybe the target demographic is not entirely hopeless, after all.

Or it merely reflects the percentage of those who played the originals.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron

Which 3 Companions Are You Taking?​

https://strawpoll.com/bVg8o8l3VnY/results

L6V63j0.png

not gonna choose third one from those, you should insert custom companion 1-3

Token black guy the most rejected origin/companion?

Who would have guessed.
They never put cool black guys in games anymore, they always make the shittest black characters that not even other blacks like so they can call you a racist if you dare to complain. If the token black was as cool as Lamar from GTA V, I would buy the game and go on a quest with him to eradicate all bitch ass fairy niggas from Baldur's Gate.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

My team will be:
My char: Paladin Oathbreaker.
Shadowheart
Gale
Astarion

Barbarian

Arcane
MC(dark urge) + Minthara. Maybe "hirelings".

All other companions seem ultra cringe. Might actually justify a full blown evil dark urge playthrough. Swen has stated killing them provides significant rewards.

The way Swen behaves is a good indication of sociopathic behavior. He does what he does not because he's genuine but because it's learned behavior that's rewarding to him. You buy into his act, so he is encouraged to go further with it. Why do you think he inevitably put on the armor?
Swen seems to be on some sort of nostalgia trip with his regular armor getup, fetishizing a time that was honestly pretty brutal for people of color. The vibes I get from him are unsettling, like he's glorifying a past that should never be glorified. Feels like a guy that has a collection of SS uniforms.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

kagha's hairstyle is just a bunch of croissants glued to her head
In the past early.access Khaga was blonde and was also the most hated char in the larian forum by a couple of people that were sjw. They did a whole post telling how she was senseless cruel toward the child. And Larian changed her hair.
From blonde now they are pink.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
MC(dark urge) + Minthara. Maybe "hirelings".

All other companions seem ultra cringe. Might actually justify a full blown evil dark urge playthrough. Swen has stated killing them provides significant rewards.
What do you dislike about Shadowheart? Not that is matters, but I am curious if I glossed over something.

Not to sound like a coomer, but personally I think the voice actress for Shadowheart did a great job.

In the past early.access Khaga was blonde and was also the most hated char in the larian forum by a couple of people that were sjw. They did a whole post telling how she was senseless cruel toward the child. And Larian changed her hair.
I played it on release day and she was always red haired. She's just acting like that because she's having a White Woman Moment.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I played it on release day and she was always red haired. She's just acting like that because she's having a White Woman Moment.
Thats odd. But then again in the last two patches things seemed to behave oddly during cutscenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom