Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Creating a Drow non-Human Paladin should be a bannable offence.

I got an idea from this.

One of my Paladin's missions will be to root out false paladins, especially those of a non-Human race. I will try to kill every Paladin NPC who isn't Human.

In fact, given the state of WotC, of D&D, Larian writing, and the burden of the BG legacy on BG3 in terms of cringe, we should start a list of "Based Achievements".

Add more as you come up with them.

I was considering between Cleric and Paladin, and I'll go with a Paladin fanatic with no understanding of moral nuance and a simplistic black and white worldview. Let's see how the game handles such a character.
Isn’t that just Oath Of Vengeance, which will be added on release? Don’t think it will struggle in handling it.
Still depends on how you want to RP it.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
97c42c88-a23d-42f4-b9a4-9a8b0283d031_text.gif

I guess in nuDnD nothing fucking matters anyway, reflecting the disposition of their target audience.

BruceVC

Magister
Funny that Drizzt the snowflake ended up being the reason for a whole population of "good" drow.
The reason is: Can you imagine a "good drow"? If you can imagine it, why can't you play it? No good reason.
In general, restrictions are removed when homebrewing, not added. That's where the community drags things towards.
But there is lore about this, "good " drow reject Lolth and follow other gods

Its not that hard to understand

notpl

Arbiter
Drow Paladin is about as "legal" as Drow Ranger.
They're Chaotic Evil. Lolth is Chaotic Evil. What's the ONE thing that defines Paladins? Their adherence to a fucking code, which means lawfulness.
Paladins are just religious warriors. If there are chaotic evil gods, there should be chaotic evil paladins. It was always stupid.
Those are clerics.

Paladins need lawfulness to adhere to their oaths.
Main power source is their oath, not the god.
If "Chaotic" means "cannot adhere to oaths" (I say "if" because the law/chaos axis has never really meant anything) then it is a stupid descriptor and it is good that it was done away with.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
If "Chaotic" means "cannot adhere to oaths"
Yes it does.
The only reason Drow society doesn't collapse into infighting like an Arab nation is Lolth actively intervening and curbing the worst excesses. This is a fact of the FR lore.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Funny that Drizzt the snowflake ended up being the reason for a whole population of "good" drow.
The reason is: Can you imagine a "good drow"? If you can imagine it, why can't you play it? No good reason.
In general, restrictions are removed when homebrewing, not added. That's where the community drags things towards.
But there is lore about this, "good " drow reject Lolth and follow other gods

Its not that hard to understand
Its kind of like World of Warcraft, which has "good" undead. The forsaken are undead who reject the Lich King hivemind. Bit dodgy lore wise, but its declared to be true and possible, and its cool to have.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you can imagine a good drow, this means just one thing - you don't know the setting.

Since fewer and fewer people know the setting as the player base widens, restrictions are gradually removed. Until there are no more rules and no more restrictions - everything is left to homebrew. At which point one asks - why even have a D&D system? Don't answer, I know - in order to have a *product* to *sell*.

What about the minority who actually want to abide by the restrictions and actually read up on the setting? Well, they can impose the restrictions back, on their table. This can work fine in TT, but when it comes to a PC adaptation, we are all getting the same game in the end. And people are upset.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
You know what? Maybe beholders aren't actually all bad after all... we just need to do better with our *communication skills* - they can't all be bad apples!

Now what hole are you supposed to fuck on one of these things...?

Zayne

Scholar
Like, let's cut the Firkraag questline from BG2, but instead you can play as Jaheira, get some different dialogue options, and her companion quest is bigger? I don't think it's a good trade.
But what if you could play as Imoen and get a choice to side with Bodhi?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom