Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Steezus

Savant
Patron
what is everyone rolling for class?

Probably Paladin, not sure about the subclass tho. Thinking about rolling with the Dark Urge origin too, which seems like an obvious homage to classic BG.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I was thinking about playing a monk because the animations look pretty cool, but its still a melee class to run from target to target hitting them for low numbers.

So I will likely roll a caster, warlock/sorcerer multiclass, hopefully with a mod that removes the level cap and expands class progression. I hate earning xp and wasting it because I'm level cap, with such a big game I very much doubt you will be leveling all the way to endgame.

Another mod I'm installing is the party size to 6. The choice of 4 is just ridiculous.

Varnaan

Augur
I hate earning xp and wasting it because I'm level cap
Almost all D&D based games have an experience cap so I don't understand why it's such an issue for so many people, it comes with the territory, and at least it's high enough that you don't end up with shit like in Pool of Radiance some classes being capped out of their second attack.

Larianshill

Arbiter
So, what is everyone rolling for class?
Probably bard. It's a class not covered by any of the companions, jack of all trades too. I want to play a paladin, but I'll save it until the second playthrough when they fix all the bugs. I fell in EA for all kinds of ridiculous reasons Larian clearly didn't intend.

Saravan

Savant
Not sure if this was already shared but based on the information from fextralife you can change the companions classes but that some dialogue and events might be locked if you do that.

Then in a comment to the video the guy says the following:

@Fextralife: I was told that even though this is possible in the current build, it might not make full release.

In other words. Nobody fucking knows.

Also still no concrete updates on that Italian news article re: multiclass.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
not mentioning the most important thing about multiclassing
I hate their wiki and whole channel with passion pumping their twitch views with force play in wiki

Kiste

Augur
I wish we could return to the glory days of AD&D 2nd endition, when mulitclassing was rarely a good idea, Elves were still Elves, only Humans could be Paladins and all Paladins looked like dorks in the artwork.

Yosharian

Arcane
Is fighting barehanded still the monk's main gimmick in 5e? That makes the acquisition of phat loot less interesting, so it's a no from me. Probably some sort of wizardsorcerermage so I can play with surfaces again. I do like me some surfaces.
And I don't understand why devs can't fucking fix this shit. Just let monks have magic gloves for fucks sake!

Yosharian

Arcane
Is the dinner date dialog real?
In a medieval fantasy?

These people are insane.
I can only imagine how many memes this game is going to create after its release. All the "fun" Dragon Age 3 provided with its shit is going to be nothing.
But here is the most important question, does the bear scene mean you wont play BG3? Thats the most relevant outcome of this outrage
My old PC probably cannot run it well so I doubt I will pirate it. And I am not buying it for Xbox due to this degenerate shit they added. I was thinking about buying it for Xbox before this bear shit.

I might still try it on my PC with low FPS if after release it turns out game is really awesome and this degenerate shit is not really at every corner but only what was shown recently (but I doubt that).
Some of us had this game gifted to them after boasting about their new PC and feel therefore obliged to play it
There's a lesson here I suppose
What the fuck? I've boasted about my PC and I never got a free copy

Saravan

Savant
I wish we could return to the glory days of AD&D 2nd endition, when mulitclassing was rarely a good idea, Elves were still Elves, only Humans could be Paladins and all Paladins looked like dorks in the artwork.
There is a lot of decline in the name of 'choice' over the editions. Racial ASI not being locked, no minimum stats for multiclassing, all races can be all classes etc.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Is fighting barehanded still the monk's main gimmick in 5e? That makes the acquisition of phat loot less interesting, so it's a no from me. Probably some sort of wizardsorcerermage so I can play with surfaces again. I do like me some surfaces.
And I don't understand why devs can't fucking fix this shit. Just let monks have magic gloves for fucks sake!
Why would you want magic gloves when your fists become magic and channel elements?

Monks aren’t supposed to use no bitch-ass weapons, bare hands is all you need.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why would you want magic gloves when your fists become magic and channel elements?

It does make itemisation significantly less interesting for Monk characters though, so I do understand that sentiment.

PF1e dealt with this to some degree by adding monk weapons that were compatible with the class features. I.e. Brass Knuckles, Kama etc.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I would mostly agree, but "bare hands is all you need" is a bit too extreme, they aren't supposed to be boxers. Their fighting style should use all 5 limbs.

Gradenmayer

Learned

It does make itemisation significantly less interesting for Monk characters though, so I do understand that sentiment.

PF1e dealt with this to some degree by adding monk weapons that were compatible with the class features. I.e. Brass Knuckles, Kama etc.
Well, they can still use simple weapons, so maybe Larian will add some rare Quaterstaffs that will work better than unarmed on Monk. They said accessories can significantly shift playstyles, so some weapons will probably do that as well.

Gradenmayer

Learned

I would mostly agree, but "bare hands is all you need" is a bit too extreme, they aren't supposed to be boxers. Their fighting style should use all 5 limbs.
The 4 elements monk one will probably use kicks for some spells.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The bear will be more than happy to spar with monk's 5th limb

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Watching the fextralife video, and the tadpole progression tree is pretty weird. Roleplaying wise it doesn't make sense to self insert captured tadpoles into your brain to unlock new abilities, first because that means you will be digging through the brains of all the infected people you know, removing the tadpoles and then shoving them through your eye to infect you even further with more sentient brain worms.

The previous system of giving in to your existing tadpole, being corrupted and gaining powers from that corruption, made much more sense.

Apparently Larian felt that the DnD progression system was slow and the player didn't have enough to customize as they leveled, so they made this shit up.

Watching the fextralife video, and the tadpole progression tree is pretty weird. Roleplaying wise it doesn't make sense to self insert captured tadpoles into your brain to unlock new abilities, first because that means you will be digging through the brains of all the infected people you know, removing the tadpoles and then shoving them through your eye to infect you even further with more sentient brain worms.

The previous system of giving in to your existing tadpole, being corrupted and gaining powers from that corruption, made much more sense.
Yep. Sounds stupid and contrived, as it is the reason for it ("leveling become slower so we wanted to give players more things to level, hurr durr").
Not unsurprising at this point coming from the Larian "gameplay designers", though.

Herumor

Scholar

So apparently now there's a mechanic to harvest tadpoles from dead NPCs (and possibly your party members) and somehow use those to enhance your Ilithid powers.

I think from a narrative point this really sticks out like a weird thing. Isn't the one tadpole in your head enough to turn you? What does it mean to get multiple tadpoles in your head? Do they fight for dominance to see who gets to turn you completely?

And you get a skill tree out of this as well:

Jck9GQT.png

Kiste

Augur
There is a lot of decline in the name of 'choice' over the editions. Racial ASI not being locked, no minimum stats for multiclassing, all races can be all classes etc.

Yeah, fuck the modern concept of choice. "Choice" should be about having your pick among meaningful alternatives and and not "I want to be whatever I choose in whatever way I choose to". Everything DnD has become flavourless slop. I like 5E in terms of game mechanics but everything else is pretty much fucking decline.

There is so much I dislike about modern DnD (by which I mean 3E and newer). The fucking multiclassing. "Dipping" levels into classes to munchkin some overpowered abomination. The all races can be everything shit. Race is basically a "skin" now.

There is other stuff.

Why the fuck are Dragonborn a thing? They were ramrodded into the game with 4E, never made any sense and they even had to come up with stupid shit to insert them into existing campaign settings.

Why are Drow a playable race? I mean, I now why - because there a million of tards who want to rolepay Drizzt Do'Urden. I just don't see how having such a race as a playable standard race next to High Elves and Humans is a good idea.

Or Half-Orcs? Where did those fuckers come from? Who mates with Orcs? Id' rather fuck a bear, tbh. At least bears don't reek of vodka. Or are Half-Orcs all the offspring of rape victims?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom