Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jackofshadows

Magister
Feats, mainly it's GWM but I'm not terribly interested in that feat for this build.
Why though? Isn't it like the best feat for paladin? Or you plan to use a shield? Also you're missing attribute increase obviously which isn't great at all.

Yosharian

Arcane
Feats, mainly it's GWM but I'm not terribly interested in that feat for this build.
Why though? Isn't it like the best feat for paladin? Or you plan to use a shield? Also you're missing attribute increase obviously which isn't great at all.
For starters, GWM is only effective to use in certain situations, and it's not clear how exactly Larian will adhere to bounded accuracy with respect to enemy AC. GWM can easily be a DPS loss if enemy AC scales upwards significantly enough. Tactician difficulty is supposedly going to increase enemy AC quite significantly so on that difficulty is isn't clear at all whether GWM would ever really be mathematically effective on that difficulty.

Secondly, GWM isn't free - there is an opportunity cost associated with taking it, notably you are not taking a different feat, or not increasing your STR (or whatever). Most optimizer builds that take GWM tend to use Variant Human in order to effectively get it for free - can't do that in BG3.

Thirdly, with my build I would like to try out Heavy Armor Master to see if it's effective. A character whose HP reaches 0 does no damage at all - if HAM keeps my dude alive, then effectively it's a damage boost. Also, I have a little combo which I want to try out which uses HAM and some other stuff to deal retaliation damage, not sure if it'll work yet though.

Anyway those are my thoughts but I'm not saying I definitely won't take it if I find that it is effective, just that at the moment I'm learning towards not taking it. And yes, the other point is that I want to use a shield.

My build reaches 20 STR at level 10 which isn't amazing but it's reasonable.

Elthosian

Arcane
Nothing wrong with being a nerd though.
The greatest and most influential games were made by nerds.
Doom? Check
Quake? Also Check
Fallout? Check
Thief? Check
Not anymore. Now everything is shit.

It's time to stop playing games.
Are you being serious? You cant really think the state of gaming is that bad

Whats your top 3 favorite games, I am interested in what you enjoy
I don't enjoy any games anymore. It's over. But if you must know, it's nothing newer than 10 years old.

Fallout: New Vegas was the last RPG I liked.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was the last shooter.
I can't even think of a third game. Everything else I enjoyed was much older (Fallout 1, Original Resident Evil trilogy, Baldur's Gate 2, etc)

I've played a few games since then but they are all time wasting until something actually good might come around. Which it WON'T. BG3 looks fucking shit.
If you didn’t like any game that came out in last 5 years- you don’t enjoy games anymore. It’s time to give it up and retire, old man (or go and make your own game).
Nah, ancient games were much more focused on gameplay, and they don't feel the same as gaming in the 90s and 2000s. It's natural to not feel excited anymore after experiencing what it was like back then. Many old codexers feel the same way. Nowadays, we have super high-budget gorgeous games, but they're often too mainstream. However, it's still possible to find such games, although they are very rare. For example, lately, the Alien Descent game or Stasis Bone Totem are worth checking out. You could also join other old farts on the Codex 7 Days to Die server.

I agree there are way fewer interesting games now than back in the day, but honestly I find that there is more than enough today to keep a person with a full time job and either a family or a modicum of social life satisfied. I have a huge backlog and just going through Rain World, Berwick Saga, Wasteland 3, Elden Ring, and the latest two Zeldas will take me over a year at this rate :/ If anything, I’d say I love the Codex because the cost of opportunity of playing a shit game is pretty big at this point and it helps me filter out a lot of stuff.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't enjoy any games anymore. It's over. But if you must know, it's nothing newer than 10 years old.

I can't even think of a third game. Everything else I enjoyed was much older (Fallout 1, Original Resident Evil trilogy, Baldur's Gate 2, etc)

I've played a few games since then but they are all time wasting until something actually good might come around. Which it WON'T. BG3 looks fucking shit.
Borderlands 2
DarkSouls
Drakensang
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy
Empire Total War
GalaxyAngel
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident
Recettear - An Item Shop's Tale
Space Pirates and Zombies
Total War Shogun
Total War WARHAMMER
Zeno Clash 2
ELEX
Amazing Cultivation Simulator
Outer Wilds (exploration and relaxing adventure game not RPG)
Outward Definitive Edition
Grand Theft Auto V

Also dead cells, and patrician 3. But these are older games.
These are games I have on my HDD in case I'd want to replay them.
There were many interesting games in last 20 years.

(I should finish Zeno Clash 2 someday, but it looks far less on meth than Zeno Clash 1.)

Sorry, not gonna discuss this further. I find people who give everything the most uncharitable reading and are paranoid about political messaging incredibly irritating and I don't care whether it's coming from the Sarkeesians and Kotakus of this world, who interpret everything as racist, sexist and homophobic, or from some screeching right-wing Trumptards who suspect a wokester under every bed. You all suck and fuck your political tribalism. You can interpret fucking everything as an allegory in an unfavourable way if you've got an agenda to push.

The writing in BG1 is fucking ass, they couldn't even keep their tone consistent between whacky anachronistic nonsense that sounds like it was ripped from some shitty Steve Urkel sitcom and people rambling in Ye Olde English. If you want to let your political crystal ball decide whether writing is good or bad based on the asumed political motivations of the writers then be my guest, but at least be aware that this isn't really the quality of the writing at issue here, just your own politial hang-ups.
I tend to agree, this constant assuming that creativity, bad writing or something like game design must have a US culture wars link is tiresome, banal and unconvincing

But this type of comparison is more specific to places like Codex and what some people think. If you just look at most of the BG3 videos they about things that most gamers care about. The game and its mechanics. I normally just ignore the obsession with culture war garbage unless its a political debate
even over on 4chan, sperg central, people are more levelheaded when discussing this game. that should tell you something :lol:
https://boards.4channel.org/vg/thread/437989247
it's all people who actually want to play the game. codex worse than 4chan confirmed. at least you can block the worst spergs here. :salute:

4chaner Simp:

Shadowheart's kind, loving, patient, and loyal wife Tav....

Singing to Shadowheart by the campfire after a long day of fighting bad guys....

Writing a ballad about Shadowheart's heroic deeds saving Baldur's Gate from the dastardly cult of the absolute...

Embarking on Shadowheart's quest to discover her memories, and then making new ones, together....

Cuddling with Shadowheart and suddenly she whispers to you her real name....

Shadowheart running her fingers through your hair as you sit and watch the stars together, then she says she's happy that she can finally appreciate the moon now that she has escaped from Shar's deceptions...

Using your reaction to jump in front of an arrow that met or exceeded her armor class....

Getting Loviatar's blessing from the priest in the fort and Shadowheart liked watching that so she tells you that you need to do it again every night in order to keep the blessing, and that she happily volunteers to help you....

Using your adventuring money to buy the nicest wine in Baldur's Gate for your date at the lake with Shadowheart....but then reminding her that it's dangerous to drink and swim because you love her and care about her safety more than you value looking cool....

Using detect thoughts to find out what Shadowheart's favorite camp meal is, and then always collecting those camp supplies....no, that's an invasion of privacy, I will never use magic or tadpoles to look at Shadowheart's mind, I'll just ask her normally....

Taking proficiency and then expertise in chef's tools at character creation so you can always make the yummiest meals for your wife Shadowheart....

I put that this way: lel
tZ20Bcn.png

SHADOWCUTE :bounce:

jackofshadows

Magister
Tactician difficulty is supposedly going to increase enemy AC quite significantly so on that difficulty is isn't clear at all whether GWM would ever really be mathematically effective on that difficulty.
If that'll be the case then we'll have to use more control spell and hit/crit reliably. Plus there're some other as I'm getting to know even if few ways to gain advantage, decrease enemy ac etc. I think it's all worth it, the bonus is just too good especially considering multiple attacks per round.
A character whose HP reaches 0 does no damage at all - if HAM keeps my dude alive, then effectively it's a damage boost.
Seems too REactive to me to be actually good.

As to using a shield - you do you ofc but imo fighter or barb are way better suited for 1h use.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Borderlands 2
DarkSouls
Drakensang
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy
Empire Total War
GalaxyAngel
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident
Recettear - An Item Shop's Tale
Space Pirates and Zombies
Total War Shogun
Total War WARHAMMER
Zeno Clash 2
ELEX
Amazing Cultivation Simulator
Outer Wilds (exploration and relaxing adventure game not RPG)
Outward Definitive Edition
Grand Theft Auto V

Also dead cells, and patrician 3. But these are older games.
These are games I have on my HDD in case I'd want to replay them.
There were many interesting games in last 20 years.

(I should finish Zeno Clash 2 someday, but it looks far less on meth than Zeno Clash 1.)

What do you use to play Total War Shogun? Dxwnd?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's Shogun 2. It's just installed it into a Shogun directory. Previous game didn't have the "Total War" prefix.

The first was called Shogun: Total war... I tried a few years ago to make it work on win10 and nothing :(
Have you tried XP in a virtual machine?
(Also try it on Linux, it might be properly emulated.)

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
It's Shogun 2. It's just installed it into a Shogun directory. Previous game didn't have the "Total War" prefix.

The first was called Shogun: Total war... I tried a few years ago to make it work on win10 and nothing :(
Have you tried XP in a virtual machine?
(Also try it on Linux, it might be properly emulated.)

Didn't try, neither the VM nor Wine. Rather try to emulate Win98 if possible, just to be sure. Will try when I have time.

Takamori

Learned
I think I almost decided what I'm gonna do. A cleric of war, worshiper of Kelemvor wielding a big ass greatsword given that war caster is not necessary in Larian BG3.
Kinda reminds me of the old paladin back in 3.5 where you had a divinity attached to you.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Sorry, not gonna discuss this further. I find people who give everything the most uncharitable reading and are paranoid about political messaging incredibly irritating and I don't care whether it's coming from the Sarkeesians and Kotakus of this world, who interpret everything as racist, sexist and homophobic, or from some screeching right-wing Trumptards who suspect a wokester under every bed. You all suck and fuck your political tribalism. You can interpret fucking everything as an allegory in an unfavourable way if you've got an agenda to push.

The writing in BG1 is fucking ass, they couldn't even keep their tone consistent between whacky anachronistic nonsense that sounds like it was ripped from some shitty Steve Urkel sitcom and people rambling in Ye Olde English. If you want to let your political crystal ball decide whether writing is good or bad based on the asumed political motivations of the writers then be my guest, but at least be aware that this isn't really the quality of the writing at issue here, just your own politial hang-ups.
I tend to agree, this constant assuming that creativity, bad writing or something like game design must have a US culture wars link is tiresome, banal and unconvincing

But this type of comparison is more specific to places like Codex and what some people think. If you just look at most of the BG3 videos they about things that most gamers care about. The game and its mechanics. I normally just ignore the obsession with culture war garbage unless its a political debate
even over on 4chan, sperg central, people are more levelheaded when discussing this game. that should tell you something :lol:
it's all people who actually want to play the game. codex worse than 4chan confirmed. at least you can block the worst spergs here. :salute:

4chaner Simp:

Singing to Shadowheart by the campfire after a long day of fighting bad guys....

Writing a ballad about Shadowheart's heroic deeds saving Baldur's Gate from the dastardly cult of the absolute...

Embarking on Shadowheart's quest to discover her memories, and then making new ones, together....

Shadowheart running her fingers through your hair as you sit and watch the stars together, then she says she's happy that she can finally appreciate the moon now that she has escaped from Shar's deceptions...

Using your reaction to jump in front of an arrow that met or exceeded her armor class....

Getting Loviatar's blessing from the priest in the fort and Shadowheart liked watching that so she tells you that you need to do it again every night in order to keep the blessing, and that she happily volunteers to help you....

Using your adventuring money to buy the nicest wine in Baldur's Gate for your date at the lake with Shadowheart....but then reminding her that it's dangerous to drink and swim because you love her and care about her safety more than you value looking cool....

Using detect thoughts to find out what Shadowheart's favorite camp meal is, and then always collecting those camp supplies....no, that's an invasion of privacy, I will never use magic or tadpoles to look at Shadowheart's mind, I'll just ask her normally....

Taking proficiency and then expertise in chef's tools at character creation so you can always make the yummiest meals for your wife Shadowheart....

tZ20Bcn.png

I must admint, portait posted in the same 4chan theread is pretty decent and fitting into BG1 and BG2.

aNLRvdp.png

Elthosian

Arcane

4chaner Simp:

tZ20Bcn.png

I must admint, portait posted in the same 4chan theread is pretty decent and fitting into BG1 and BG2.

aNLRvdp.png
Day one haircut mod is a must.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

4chaner Simp:

tZ20Bcn.png

aNLRvdp.png
Day one haircut mod is a must.

There is only this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/21

21-1614591156-81866340.png

Rhobar121

Scholar
The only reason why DA:I didn't become total shit is because it came out before Witcher 3 (also the worst year for an RPG). If the game come out a few months later, its reception would have been much worse.
Bioware was smashed in its own category by a bunch of Belgians.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
The only reason why DA:I didn't become total shit is because it came out before Witcher 3 (also the worst year for an RPG). if the game come out a few months later, its reception would have been much worse.
Bioware was smashed in its own category by a bunch of Belgians.

I see this differently.

Wither 3 never was an RPG, but a slasher gamer with a fun story. Dragon Age Inquisition was a success because:

a) Early Twitter era
b) Early woke era
c) Being part of a successful brand.
d) Biodrones
e) General lack of public awareness.

Now is better (slighlty)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom