Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The original Baldur's Gate is the greatest D&D-based RPG of all-time, and the 4th-greatest RPG of all-time.

It makes the Goldbox games seem like pieces of shit in comparison.

Read this authoritative retrospective, and despair [link].

It's still one of the worst adaptations of the DnD rules.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
This is a good thing. 2e was kind of shit and tablet top is definitely shit.

"Tablet" top is shit to you because the first requirement to play it is to have friends.
Wow. Good one :roll:. The most basic comeback from the most basic rpg player. Good thing people liked you exist otherwise 250 Larian employees would need to find new work and would have to actually try to create something worth being proud of.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay, enough Ontopoly for today. I need a little rest.

As is typical of a TBers. This is a forum. You can take all the time you need. Don't strain yourself too much in such a short amount of time

But sure, do pretend you are playing DnD

I'm not pretending to play dnd because dnd is trash. I'm actually playing a crpg. One that recognized that something as bad as dnd has some redeemable qualities and that if we take the good and leave the bad we can get an actual good product. One that will shape the industry only for some newbies to come in later and try to butcher it or shit talk it because they're basic bitches and lack perspective about the industry.

Do you honestly enjoy waiting around a table while some idiot takes 5 minutes to make a decision and when he finally finishes the next guy takes another 5? Something about TBers just makes them love waiting. Living at a snails pace. They probably can't even handle that.
Onto, I did it! Now I finally understand where all your hate for TB and D&D stems from.

To be able to take any amount of time to make a decision (both in TB CRPGs and D&D), first you need to be able AT LEAST to think.

And, I think we can all agree, you went to great lengths time and time again to show us that you are completely unable to use your brain to form even a semblance of a coherent thought.

Saravan

Savant

"Tablet" top is shit to you because the first requirement to play it is to have friends.
Wow. Good one :roll:. The most basic comeback from the most basic rpg player. Good thing people liked you exist otherwise 250 Larian employees would need to find new work and would have to actually try to create something worth being proud of.

A good table top session expects the player to be creative and capable of interacting with other people. I understand why this would threaten you as you can't autisticly solve every challenge with a character build spreadsheet and number crunching - although I'm surprised this is where you want to make your stand seeing as you have difficulties counting up to 600.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

A good table top session expects the player to be creative and capable of interacting with other people. I understand why this would threaten you as you can't autisticly solve every challenge with a character build spreadsheet and number crunching - although I'm surprised this is where you want to make your stand seeing as you have difficulties counting up to 600.
Numbers don't show up on your screen if your on mobile, I would have had to look it up on my profile for a part off my comment that isn't even that important to what I'm trying to say. Why would I need to put the exact number when it's around 600 when just saying 600 is close enough. You Larian fucks are really caught up on typos and little things like that for some reason. I guess it's just an easy way to attack someone. Lazy.

Elex

Arbiter

and 5e is the edition with a focus on creativity and improvisation, this is why 5e is light on detailed rule for everything and number crunching.

what make different and interesting a character is not the build with 40 min maxed feat but his story/background and how is played.

Saravan

Savant

Numbers don't show up on your screen if your on mobile, I would have had to look it up on my profile for a part off my comment that isn't even that important to what I'm trying to say. Why would I need to put the exact number when it's around 600 when just saying 600 is close enough. You Larian fucks are really caught up on typos and little things like that for some reason. I guess it's just an easy way to attack someone. Lazy.

I thought you took pride in comparing yourself to Sun Tzu for being able to hit the space bar and redirect units with new attack commands and that this would somehow demonstrate how much greater attention to detail RtwP places upon the player compared to the "degenerate TB cultists". Doesn't rhyme well with not being able to differentiate the number 577 from 600.

User0001

Savant
Why would I need to put the exact number when it's around 600 when just saying 600 is close enough. You Larian fucks are really caught up on typos and little things like that for some reason.

Literally close enough?

Daidre

Arcane
and 5e is the edition with a focus on creativity and improvisation, this is why 5e is light on detailed rule for everything and number crunching.

And we are supposed to be excited about CRPG adaption of the rules that built around "imagination" and "creativity" of the diverse drama club that current gen of PnP players turned into?
Who hate math, complicated rules, spreadsheets, build planning, challenging combat and combat in general? (And probably any challenge in general too, since failure makes them feel bad so it is bad design)?

Who hate everything what I love CRPGs for.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

And we are supposed to be excited about CRPG adaption of the rules that built around "imagination" and "creativity" of the diverse drama club that current gen of PnP players turned into?
Who hate math, complicated rules, spreadsheets, build planning, challenging combat and combat in general? (And probably any challenge in general too, since failure makes them feel bad so it is bad design)?

So, in your opinion, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 have "math, complicated rules, spreadsheets and build planning"?

Can you make even a single example of "build planning" in Baldur's Gate that goes deeper than "I'm gonna select this race and this class"? I guess you can select your weapon, but that can be considered "build planning" only if you are mentally impaired.

Elex

Arbiter

You just write random stuff because you want to hate something you don’t know.

Who say 5e hate combat?

Or that 5e don’t have challenge? For example in a printed adventure the party get fireballed( 8d6 damage) at lvl 2.

campaign like curse of strahd and tomb of annihilation are true meatgrinder.

how hard is 5e combat is based on the DM not the ruleset.

5e basically have rule only for combat.
The stuff that don’t get detailed rules is
Exploration and social interaction.

what 5e cut on purpose is the splatbook bloat with tons of unbalanced subclass and feats.

how many classes/subclasses you need for build a holy warrior with spells and martial weapons?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So they cut most what of makes computer RPGs interesting...

Might be good for tabletop. Computers have higher computation power though...
Plus personally I enjoy character building puzzles immensely.

Daidre

Arcane
Can you make even a single example of "build planning" in Baldur's Gate that goes deeper than "I'm gonna select this race and this class"? I guess you can select your weapon, but that can be considered "build planning" only if you are mentally impaired.

It still allows you to make 1 HP mage, specialize in weapon that barely exist in the game or make warrior who is unable to wear a metal armor due to its weight.

Much better than "we should remove all ability scores penalties and drastically limit bonuses to avoid making our players sad farther into campaign" approach of 5e.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It does allow you to do that but why would anyone do it? There's a trick with 1 HP mage but that's a Bioware thing. I'm not sure where this obsession with bad builds comes from.

Daidre

Arcane
It does allow you to do that but why would anyone do it? There's a trick with 1 HP mage but that's a Bioware thing. I'm not sure where this obsession with bad builds comes from.

It is less about Bad Builds and more about Freedom of Failure that was systematically weeded out of any "popular" RPGs that hope to attract casual crowd alike to PnP's drama clubs.

Saravan

Savant

Swear to god people who genuinely think they are smart for being able to beat a single-player video game are the most sadcringe people. It's not difficult to beat Pathfinder on the highest difficulty or Dark Souls, or whichever old/new game you want to pick as a metric for challenge. It's just a question of how much time are you willing to spend to learn the system. I can appreciate a competitive FPS/RTS/MOBA player that's in the top 1% of their game but at least they have made a successful career at it and are making a living of it.

Daidre

Arcane
It's just a question of how much time are you willing to spend to learn the system.

Exactly! I enjoy learning the systems and optimizing the shit out of them in the consequent replays.

So nothing annoys me more than a system designed around "no need to learn, good guys from WotC already optimized everything for you, so choose your flavor of cool and go, show off your creativity!".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

It still allows you to make 1 HP mage, specialize in weapon that barely exist in the game or make warrior who is unable to wear a metal armor due to its weight.
You know you can do all that even with D&D 5, right?

You can create a Wizard with 3 in Constitution, so that you start with 2 hit points on level 1 and barely gain any additional hit points levelling up. Having 20 hit points at level 20 is exactly like having 1.

You can specialize in a weapon that barely exists: you just need to use that weapon. Since it's a "flavor" thing that doesn't impact rules, your weapon of choice can be anything.

You can make a warrior who is unable to wear a metal armor due to its weight: you just need to make a warrior who's Strength score doesn't allow him to wear heavy armors.

Cael

Arcane

You know you can do all that even with D&D 5, right?

You can create a Wizard with 3 in Constitution, so that you start with 2 hit points on level 1 and barely gain any additional hit points levelling up. Having 20 hit points at level 20 is exactly like having 1.

You can specialize in a weapon that barely exists: you just need to use that weapon. Since it's a "flavor" thing that doesn't impact rules, your weapon of choice can be anything.

You can make a warrior who is unable to wear a metal armor due to its weight: you just need to make a warrior who's Strength score doesn't allow him to wear heavy armors.
Don't be silly. 5D is perfect!

Everyone starts with 10 in all stats, and you can call yourself whatever you want, but you will do 1d4 damage at 1st level, 1d6 at 4th and 1 size increase every 4 levels thereafter. Your skills are whatever you want them to be. The best part is that everyone will have whatever skills they want as well! Isn't that great... and FAIR??? Can't argue against being FAIR, right?

REEEEEEE!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom