Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

MerchantKing

Learned
Well I've had enough for today. The camera and player character narrating is extremely disconcerting. It's a bit soporific as well. I'm off to bed now. Maybe I'll try to see if I can make it through the next sphincter tomorrow. I hope I can make Golodon, Uriah Twin-Hammers, and Aunt Petunia after I go past all the sphincters.

ZpKE8ta.png

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Wow a whole lot of degenerate SJWs in here.
Yes, I know that there are a bunch of SJW degenerates in here. I said it. See unlike you or the other people playing this degenerate piece of shit I'm not. I take a stand against stuff that has zero societal value like this game and DANDINO or Wizards of the Woke's shit. Remember they hate you and you just paid for them to hate you even more.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Given what blatant coomerbait this game is, I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of character customization options. Only 5 faces, two of them racial mystery meat options for the increasingly confused brown masses of Kwa.

Latro

Arcane
Yes, I know that there are a bunch of SJW degenerates in here. I said it. See unlike you or the other people playing this degenerate piece of shit I'm not. I take a stand against stuff that has zero societal value like this game and DANDINO or Wizards of the Woke's shit. Remember they hate you and you just paid for them to hate you even more.
I’m not even against the game on a morality basis, I just don’t see any difference between DA and this except for it being turn based. Codex doesn’t really care about decline or popamole anymore - they will lick up scraps. Just a sign of the times, grognards are dead.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I’m not even against the game on a morality basis, I just don’t see any difference between DA and this except for it being turn based. Codex doesn’t really care about decline or popamole anymore - they will lick up scraps. Just a sign of the times, grognards are dead.

DA was shit as well, but it wasn't this degenerate. I agree. All the grognards like me are dead or cowed into submission like worthless women.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm not a DnD lore master, but why the fuck are Githyanki's arms so thin? They look like emaciated anorexic girls with atrophied muscles when they're presented as this hyperviolent warrior culture race that trains since birth. Muscles still visibly exist on their body so it makes no sense they wouldn't be bigger with training. When they start chimping out as usual with those matchstick arms I just can't take this shit seriously, it makes me laugh.
Githyanki were depicted with emaciated limbs from their initial appearance in the Fiend Folio, published in 1981.

githyankifiendfolio.png

Josh is not a good lead but I think he's a decent creative. MCA is a good creative but shouldn't be left to decide anything, ever. Feargus seems very weird with some choices he's made.
All in all, a boat should only have one captain. Even with an international presence, Sven is the face, and everything is focused on him. Let people do their jobs.
Sawyer is an effective project lead but a terrible designer. He manages to complete games on schedule and within budget, but he's repeatedly failed when designing systems for his own games.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
I'm not a DnD lore master, but why the fuck are Githyanki's arms so thin? They look like emaciated anorexic girls with atrophied muscles when they're presented as this hyperviolent warrior culture race that trains since birth. Muscles still visibly exist on their body so it makes no sense they wouldn't be bigger with training. When they start chimping out as usual with those matchstick arms I just can't take this shit seriously, it makes me laugh.
Githyanki were depicted with emaciated limbs from their initial appearance in the Fiend Folio, published in 1981.

githyankifiendfolioinzmf8d.png

Josh is not a good lead but I think he's a decent creative. MCA is a good creative but shouldn't be left to decide anything, ever. Feargus seems very weird with some choices he's made.
All in all, a boat should only have one captain. Even with an international presence, Sven is the face, and everything is focused on him. Let people do their jobs.
Sawyer is an effective project lead but a terrible designer. He manages to complete games on schedule and within budget, but he's repeatedly failed when designing systems for his own games.
I don’t like sawyer, but at least he tried. We now live in a world where Joshua Sawyer is a principled grognard…

Ahnx

Educated
Played the game a few hours in the last few days. It is pretty obvious that the devs are satanists,most like swen is part of the mothers of darkness sect. Also the game is not well done,the ui is made by aliens.....more likely demons tho. The companions are trash,and not only the writing,in me party all three just spam cantrips because is the most damage. It is retarded. Also the animations are garbo too....lol flying glued sword on me back lol.
Also, the game is boring is hell and the writing is bad even compared to Obsidian losers.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron
"I don't see any difference between DA and this, except for the fundamental combat system and the thing you spend most of the game doing."

Latro

Arcane
"I don't see any difference between DA and this, except for the fundamental combat system and the thing you spend most of the game doing."
Obviously im talking about the general style of the game and the writing and the romances - things we would have said was irredeemable popamole ten years ago. And from what I can tell, this is a streamline of an already streamlined 5E, but nobody seems to care about that sort of stuff anymore

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Obviously im talking about the general style of the game and the writing and the romances - things we would have said was irredeemable popamole ten years ago. And from what I can tell, this is a streamline of an already streamlined 5E, but nobody seems to care about that sort of stuff anymore

Who is “we”? The Codex review penned by VD called it “the best RPG since Arcanum”.

He was probably more interested in the gameplay than the culture war

Latro

Arcane

Who is “we”? The Codex review penned by VD called it “the best RPG since Arcanum
ah, so we always loved dragon age.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You have to play a game to be able to judge it on its own merits.

BG 3 does a lot good and also a lot bad. You can say that a game has some good points if those exist, and the same for what it does badly (I actually think music is top notch/but zoomer-level cringe writing at some points)

It's hilarious how fanboyism and internet vitriol has made it impossible to discuss something like RPGs, on a RPG forum.

mondblut

Arcane
And then there's the fact that you create six characters and go through either an enjoyable adventure throughout the countryside in Kotc1 and a tech demo dungeon in Kotc2 that make his games superior in every way to Bioware's approach (Larian is directly emulating Bioware in this game).

Wut? Kotc1 had 4 characters, not 6. And the party creation was basically down to "do I go with 2 mages or 2 clerics?"

It was a good nostalgic goldbox-like romp, but variety wasn't its strength.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Laughing IRL at the whole hag storyline. Lots of ways to be a massive asshole, too.

I've only just got the start of that quest. I hadn't really clocked the old biddy at the druid place, then I just talked to her today after selling some crap, and realized after a bit of conversation that this must be the hag. Absolutely brilliant introduction, she's a top notch character actress, and the mocap or whatever it is brings her to life. Reminds me of that whole amazingly creepy sequence with the witches in TW3.

There's a lot of character acting in this that's reminiscent of how Game of Thrones was a lovely swan song for some great old British character actors. And it sounds like most of the actors/actresses are having a lot of fun with it - they must have some very experienced audio engineers/producers, and/or some great liaison guy from the company, because those vocals are well produced. Whoever was in charge put the actors at ease and got the best out of them, while still directing them well - which is a tightrope thing to pull off.

I did notice some fluctuation in audio quality here and there with the VO (different compression and volume levels on a few lines, obviously recorded at a different time), but such minor errors are bound to creep in with such a gigantic project. Even just that side of the game must have been quite a feat of organization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom