Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You have to play a game to be able to judge it on its own merits.

BG 3 does a lot good and also a lot bad. You can say that a game has some good points if those exist, and the same for what it does badly (I actually think music is top notch/but zoomer-level cringe writing at some points)

It's hilarious how fanboyism and internet vitriol has made it impossible to discuss something like RPGs, on a RPG forum.

Fanboyism brings out reflexive anti-fanboyism, it's quite tedious. You should be able discuss, analyze and rank things in various ways, even if it's analyzing various levels of sheen on polished turds. But some people are addicted to reflexive 100% negative hyperbole. (It's understandable though, as we're all like addicts who are in abusive relationships with our pushers.)

I'd say this is a 70-80/20-30 game for me, 70-80% fun, well-made game, 20-30% annoying degenerate garbage. Somewhere in that area. I've had moments where I've been enthralled, enjoyed the heck out of bits of combat, exploration and questing; I've enjoyed bits of companion conversations, been surprised at others, bored by others, and on the point of ragequitting with a few.

That's very different from a game where the ratio is the other way round, like say DA:I, which only had a few glimmers of goodness, and was mostly just visually pretty but deathly dull early onset degenerate garbage ('cept for the dwarf dlc, I like that).

This is more comparable to DA:O, which for the time was a similarly epic experience with some attempt to recapture an old school feeling, but hampered by the attempt, going in the other direction, to emulate MMO combat to some extent (which they eventually got right with DA:I, at least in terms of feel and usability).

It's always a complicated picture with lots of nuance, so the temptation is to rage and rrraaaawr it all away.

Or maybe I'm talking bollocks and this game marks the beginning of the end of Western civilization :)

How woke is this game post character editor?

There is so much wrong with how they present the editor. I mean, genital customization? If there isn't some graphic dicking minigame what is the point? But the miriad hair col,or combinations killed it for me. And ofc, for all the dIvErSiTy bs I'm stuck with a character with freckles, there is only freckles or MORE freckles option ffs.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Approval Tweaks. Mod to tone down approval - less early-on springboarding. Wish this had been around for my playthrough early :(

I'm tempted to start another char with this, but I'm allergic to repeating content so soon.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So funny situation.

I recruited Lae'zel during the prologue. After prologue, I find Lae'zel's body on the beach. Cast a scroll of revival on her. Lae'zel runs off.

No spirit of adventure Lae'zel???

I still haven't found her in-game, cage was empty, and I'm almost at Act 2.

No great loss, but I'd like to have a full camp at some point, so I hope she turns up somewhere.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
So funny situation.

I recruited Lae'zel during the prologue. After prologue, I find Lae'zel's body on the beach. Cast a scroll of revival on her. Lae'zel runs off.

I still haven't found her/her cage anywhere in-game, and I'm almost at Act 2.

No great loss, but I'd like to have a full camp at some point, so I hope she turns up somewhere.
That's...weird. You should have found her either in the cage (too late for that now) or near the Walkeen's Rest (the burning inn to the northwest). There should be a cutscene with githyanki and a dragon.

No idea why you would find her on the beach. Maybe you went to the west without seeing the cutscene? May be fubar'd.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm having conflicting feelings, like the verticality, like the movement options, all the clever ways to move around with spells and abilities, also like some of the fights on tactician mode and level design is interesting in some parts but dear God, the characters make you feel nostalgia for NWN1 OC, yes, it is that bad. Basically, right now I have as party options:

Good obnoxious bitch girl boss.
Evil obnoxious bitch girl boss.
Mr. Gay Lord
And... Gale... oh my God, I hate Gale so much.

At least, so far, I got alot of flavor roleplay options for my chad barbarian and I can actually smash shit with my chad hands during dialog what is a rarity in RPGs but boy, I miss Icewind Dale 1 so much, why can't they just be generic NPCs that you give orders around, like on the good old days? Every character on this game feels like it was written by a fat woman that likes Harry Potter alot. It is like Larian cringe "humor" got engaged with Bioware cringe "romance" and they had a Rosemary baby.

Orion

Cipher
I went to bed thinking of Lae'zel at the Fiend party and nothing happened. What a disappointment.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Okay, the fucked up the Duergar interactions. This is certainly not how they would act. Especially the stonemason.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So funny situation.

I still haven't found her/her cage anywhere in-game, and I'm almost at Act 2.

That's...weird. You should have found her either in the cage (too late for that now) or near the Walkeen's Rest (the burning inn to the northwest). There should be a cutscene with githyanki and a dragon.

No idea why you would find her on the beach. Maybe you went to the west without seeing the cutscene? May be fubar'd.

Ah, well I haven't done Walkeen's yet, I just nuked Goblin's and went down. Tyvm I'll detour there.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
game difficulty seems not to be tested, i m mid act 2 and so far the only interesting encounters i had were pre 5, hag and spider are still the hardest bosses, rest of the game feels trivial

i dunno this feels easier than pathfinder games at core or some shit it s unreal

it s a pity because i really like the rest of the game.

Takamori

Learned
image.png

:kfc:
Your orc looks like he is really uncomfortable with the situation at hand. Enjoy getting raped!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
game difficulty seems not to be tested, i m mid act 2 and so far the only interesting encounters i had were pre 5, hag and spider are still the hardest bosses, rest of the game feels trivial

i dunno this feels easier than pathfinder games at core or some shit it s unreal

Game is balanced weirdly, but if you want a combat challenge, just select ATTACK as the first option once in a while.

There are some near impossible fights :D

I'm currently stuck at Gortash in the audience chamber.

:thisisfine:

Shaddy doesn't like wolves. If you encounter them during combat, she'll do a Frightened check. Edit: it actually leads to a small out of combat dialogue, nice.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Okay, the fucked up the Duergar interactions. This is certainly not how they would act. Especially the stonemason.
Occasionally, there's a woke NPC that will try to be an exception to the racial stereotypes that D&D usually fulfills.

Like the Hobgoblin wizard with the Society of Brilliance or the good mindflayer.

Blame 5E for this.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Yea, it only gets easier, especially after you get a second attack.

Mortmal

Arcane

Yea, it only gets easier, especially after you get a second attack.
Easier? Wait until the end of Act 2: the House of Healing, the Shadowfell fight, and the last fight at Moonrise Tower. I'm not sure if we're all experiencing the same things; it may vary depending on the choices made earlier.

Herumor

Scholar
So what happens if you put too many tadpoles in your head? I put like 5 so far.
Spoilers ahead: you'd have to put in more to get a chance to evolve into a half-illithid, which unlocks the last tier of your powers, which includes Mind Blast, shapeshifting into a Displacer Beast etc.
or the good mindflayer
How good is he since he hung out with a lich? I think chances are more likely that he realizes he can't make it on his own in the world, hence the need to be surrounded by others who can shield him or help him out if the going gets tough. And he still needs to eat brains, there's no getting around that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom