Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
How good is he since he hung out with a lich? I think chances are more likely that he realizes he can't make it on his own in the world, hence the need to be surrounded by others who can shield him or help him out if the going gets tough. And he still needs to eat brains, there's no getting around that.
Eating brains isn't necessarily evil, just like killing isn't. And the lich did all the killing.

Ulysa

Scholar
Is there anything close here to, say, the quest of the Unseeing Eye? Mystery, twists, that kind of stuff. Or Windspear or Umar Hills, etc.
Larian had this a bit in DOS2 iirc but for comedic purposes mostly.

Latro

Arcane
How good is he since he hung out with a lich? I think chances are more likely that he realizes he can't make it on his own in the world, hence the need to be surrounded by others who can shield him or help him out if the going gets tough. And he still needs to eat brains, there's no getting around that.
Eating brains isn't necessarily evil, just like killing isn't. And the lich did all the killing.
Eating brains isn’t evil

Is there anything close here to, say, the quest of the Unseeing Eye? Mystery, twists, that kind of stuff. Or Windspear or Umar Hills, etc.
You could say there's one with the swamp lady.

Aphex81

Scholar
I just finished the intermission after act 2 and the story really took a nosedive. The entire thing reminds me of cyberpunk. If you play a character that just wants to get rid of the tadpole you're basically fucked. I hate these oppressive stories where nothing you do matters and you never make any progress. If they removed this fucking tadpole after act 2 and refocused the story on the new villains it would have felt much better. Also you create your hot guardian and then it turns out he is a fucking guy all along. Absolute faggotry.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a very good question, but it cannot be answered right now because nobody knows the game as well as we know BG II.

But yeah, the quest that involves the Hag has largely the same structure. Especially at the end.

Lemming42

Arcane
I just finished the intermission after act 2 and the story really took a nosedive. The entire thing reminds me of cyberpunk. If you play a character that just wants to get rid of the tadpole you're basically fucked. I hate these oppressive stories where nothing you do matters and you never make any progress. If they removed this fucking tadpole after act 2 and refocused the story on the new villains it would have felt much better. Also you create your hot guardian and then it turns out he is a fucking guy all along. Absolute faggotry.
True, I'm not actually sure what's going on plot-wise right now. I did ask the friendly Mindflayer why he couldn't just take my tadpole out and he was like "oh it'd kill you or something" so I guess that's why the adventure's still going.

Elthosian

Arcane
game difficulty seems not to be tested, i m mid act 2 and so far the only interesting encounters i had were pre 5, hag and spider are still the hardest bosses, rest of the game feels trivial

i dunno this feels easier than pathfinder games at core or some shit it s unreal

it s a pity because i really like the rest of the game.
On Tactician?

RegionalHobo

Scholar
game difficulty seems not to be tested, i m mid act 2 and so far the only interesting encounters i had were pre 5, hag and spider are still the hardest bosses, rest of the game feels trivial

i dunno this feels easier than pathfinder games at core or some shit it s unreal

On Tactician?

yes. i think the problem is martials they are way too strong. barbarian feels gamebreaking tanky

Aphex81

Scholar
True, I'm not actually sure what's going on plot-wise right now. I did ask the friendly Mindflayer why he couldn't just take my tadpole out and he was like "oh it'd kill you or something" so I guess that's why the adventure's still going.
Yeah i have the suspition this will be another le bad ending game where all your efforts were pointless. The tadpole plotline overstays it's welcome by the end of act 2 but no...we need character motivation. Granted, putting a needle into your eyeball is a good motivation to pull it out but that doesn't mean it is an enjoyable expierience and it really tends to spoil everything interesting that might be going on during the needle torture.

Elthosian

Arcane

On Tactician?

yes. i think the problem is martials they are way too strong. barbarian feels gamebreaking tanky

Oof, makes me rethink my idea of installing the party limit mod to get a 5th member. Probably will wait for a higher difficulty mod then.

Aphex81

Scholar
The tadpole is supposed to be the character motivation to participate in the plot but in reality it is taking away attention from everything else.

It's a terrible plot device because every attempt is now doomed to fail until the story is concluded. The entire game is now a string of failures by design and that design is terrible. This is not enjoyable, it is grading, frustrating and discouraging.

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
My two biggest complaints so far, especially considering that the game has Baldur's Gate in the title:

1. How do you look back at BG 1 and BG 2 with their glorious, beautiful, and immersive UIs and decide that what we got in this - functional, but stylistically sterile - is the vibe you wanted to give the player to say "yes, you're playing a Baldur's Gate game." They didn't even have to present it much differently functionally, just add some stylistic flare to it reminiscent of the predecessors. And that definitely carries into how items and books are presented. We go from those beautiful pencil sketches when you examined an item to a rotatable 3D model. And book presentation is atrocious compared to the originals. Some generic typed font slapped on top of a generic book texture, instead of the great font and letter-headers on top of a convincing parchment background. And don't even get me started on the contents of the books: bare-fucking-minimum attention given to them. Bringing these things into Baldur's Gate 3 would have gone a very long way to impart that original atmosphere into the game. Larian, fire your UI designers. They fucking suck ass. And whatever intern you've got writing the books.

2. Why does Larian hate portrait art so much? How can you look back at BG 1 and 2 and not see those portraits as a defining aesthetic contribution to the whole experience (even the BG2's were much worse than the first game's). Who looked at these still shots of the 3D models and thought "wow, that looks GREAT!"

So some niggling aesthetic things that I feel would have been very easy to remedy in order to pay tribute and do honor to your predecessors and their fans.

Herumor

Scholar
Yeah i have the suspition this will be another le bad ending game where all your efforts were pointless. The tadpole plotline overstays it's welcome by the end of act 2 but no...we need character motivation. Granted, putting a needle into your eyeball is a good motivation to pull it out but that doesn't mean it is an enjoyable expierience and it really tends to spoil everything interesting that might be going on during the needle torture.
Play the game and you'll see that your suspicion was wrong.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
2. Why does Larian hate portrait art so much? How can you look back at BG 1 and 2 and not see those portraits as a defining aesthetic contribution to the whole experience (even the BG2's were much worse than the first game's). Who looked at these still shots of the 3D models and thought "wow, that looks GREAT!"

It's because otherwise all the retards would've whined about not seeing their own unique (tiefling) snowflake on the avatar - and it's not exactly comparable to 1 & 2 since in this one the camera constantly zooms on the characters' faces during dialogue. I thought they looked pretty decent, considering.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
It's because otherwise all the retards would've whined about not seeing their own unique (tiefling) snowflake on the avatar - and it's not exactly comparable to 1 & 2 since in this one the camera constantly zooms on the characters' faces during dialogue. I thought they looked pretty decent, considering.
Of course this all makes sense and I had already considered it, but give us the option anyway. Either 3D model or tasteful character portrait.

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
Getting closer and closer to the ending. Loving the game, although I do have some gripes. Half of them have something to do with the crime and attitude systems.

Orion

Cipher
My two biggest complaints so far, especially considering that the game has Baldur's Gate in the title:

1. How do you look back at BG 1 and BG 2 with their glorious, beautiful, and immersive UIs and decide that what we got in this - functional, but stylistically sterile - is the vibe you wanted to give the player to say "yes, you're playing a Baldur's Gate game." They didn't even have to present it much differently functionally, just add some stylistic flare to it reminiscent of the predecessors. And that definitely carries into how items and books are presented. We go from those beautiful pencil sketches when you examined an item to a rotatable 3D model. And book presentation is atrocious compared to the originals. Some generic typed font slapped on top of a generic book texture, instead of the great font and letter-headers on top of a convincing parchment background. And don't even get me started on the contents of the books: bare-fucking-minimum attention given to them. Bringing these things into Baldur's Gate 3 would have gone a very long way to impart that original atmosphere into the game. Larian, fire your UI designers. They fucking suck ass. And whatever intern you've got writing the books.

So some niggling aesthetic things that I feel would have been very easy to remedy in order to pay tribute and do honor to your predecessors and their fans.
Similarly I wish there was a world map in the game to help give a sense of where we're located in Faerun. That was one thing I've always really liked about BG1.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Similarly I wish there was a world map in the game to help give a sense of where we're located in Faerun. That was one thing I've always really liked about BG1.
true but you can estimate where you are based on the geography. You start the game off along the River Chiontar, which runs through Elturel and Baldur's Gate.

Link to map.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Getting closer and closer to the ending. Loving the game, although I do have some gripes. Half of them have something to do with the crime and attitude systems.

They suck massive, multi-headed dongs. Had a quest bug out on me yesterday so had to interact with those systems to solve it in an alternate way, and spending one hour on that cancer has me traumatized for life

Reinhardt

Arcane
Long rests on tactician are brutal if you don't abuse swapping out party members. The game is supremely well balanced which impresses me a lot since 5e as a system is very poorly balanced and notoriously difficult to design combat encounters for. I haven't encountered any roadblocks but my party with 0 minmaxing has scraped by a few times and I've had to properly consider whether I should long rest or keep pushing on often.
at level 4 we have 17 hp combined between 4 party members right now. still didn't rested once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom