Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Also: Illithids don't have souls? Who the fuck said that and where? I read the Illithiad, it didn't mention anything about this as far as I recall.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmmm. Pal/Sorc seems cool I might give it a go. Can still do persuasion and double haste and smites.

I wonder if anyone here has thought of some really good builds that they'd be willing to share.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The actual ending:

You did it! A winner is you!

The end.
Even just reading the achievements you can tell there's a couple of ways to do it.
And you can get a few endings early on, as failures. For example, if you make a certain divine being mad, by not bowing when asked. Or if you allow a certain companion to go nuclear when you first see the baddies.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
:mca:

Chapter 2:
I really like the overall vibe. Exploring the cursed land and returning to comfy inn with chill music. Good stuff.
Larian can make top quality "set piece", but the main storyline still seems like confused garbage. We'll see how it develops.

Also, this game severely lacks... normal stuff? Mundane village... tavern... common folk without horns talking about harvest. Gosh, I miss that...
Everything I've seen of BG 3 thus far has looked acutely High-Fantasy. I've eeen far *far* more Red-Skinned Tieflings as NPCs than any other race or class. Everywhere any of these walkthroughs go there's glowing shit, otherworldly nonesense and a general lack of normalcy.

Are there any bedraggled peasants just trying to plow their fields in this game?

To be fair, that is very much Forgotten Realms. It's part of what I don't like about the setting. Even low-magic stories still involve supernatural circumstances and characters interacting with Void-Walkers and Abyssal creatures.

:philosoraptor:

Forgotten Realms and popular other PnP setting are a giant complete mess by design. It's a necessity of the business model.
Release more and more content, more and more lore. See what sticks. See what nerds will buy and use in PnP.

In a PnP environment, it's moderated by a GM selecting some cool stuff from this giant messy buffet. Or at least that's how we rolled.
Baldur's Gate 1 is also a good example of achieving comfy low level mundane mood in Forgotten Realms.

Seeing FR treated in a straightforward manner, in it's full horrible glory, without any moderation... is headache-inducing.

But you can pick up a goblin and throw him into flames, so... fuck the story, lol.

Adding more and more lore isn't an issue, it's who gets to write it. Ed Greenwood could write another dozen Volo's Guide's and it would be fine, but that's not what's happening. Like any other popular intellectual property, the realms got bought and subsequently handed over to soyfaces and chicks with unnatural hair colors to "modernize" the setting. It's why orcs are no longer evil, Paladins are no longer good, why there's wacky shit everywhere, and why (to address the poster you quoted) the Western Heartlands (where bg1 and 3 play) are no longer 80% human, 19% elves/dwarves/halflings, and 1% other, as they were originally written to be.

Yes.

D&D was conceived with the idea of the normal/mundane coming into conflict with the weird/scary. It was regular people in a low fantasy medieval Europe, thrust into dank, dark places with foul beasts. Obviously the game evolved to a bit more than that in the 90s, but it still had that distinct charm about it.

BG3 gets rid of all of that and just throws everything together in a funhouse. When everything is bizarre, nothing is bizarre, just stupid.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Here's the D&D I know: White human men killing the fuck out of your damn lizard people.
And then someone said: but can I play as an orc? And the product expanded, and you can do more stuff now.
Or do you expect Hearts of Iron to only let you play as USA or something stupid like that?
View attachment 39947

That's when it started to get gay. Orcs are for slaying. They are evil. No moral gray areas in classic D&D.

Apparently your opinion is a minority. Either you get on board with the new D&D diversity or you just, you know, bitch like the little beta you are

And we all know what should happen to minorities. Get the rope, brother.

Kiste

Augur
Yes.

D&D was conceived with the idea of the normal/mundane coming into conflict with the weird/scary. It was regular people in a low fantasy medieval Europe, thrust into dank, dark places with foul beasts.

I'm beginning to suspect that this tard here is actually a JamesDixon sockpuppet.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ilsensine would disagree.
You could just say its a very powerful collective consciousness, not divine?
But I just recalled, you need a soul to make a pact with a demon. Have we seen an illithid warlock? If there ever was one, then they should have souls. Also I think resurrect dead might interact with souls, technically. In game we can Speak with Dead with an illithid. If they have no souls, what are we speaking to?

Arkeus

Arcane
Games like this desperately need more punishments or trade offs for being a goodie two shoes/idealist.

Take the druid/tiefling situation. Say you make the druids shut down their ritual. You shouldn't be able to wipe out all the gobbos and everything work out perfectly. You should lose like a third of the druid population and some precious druid artifacts. You saved the refugees but at a cost. Gamed like this give no consequences for picking the "good" option
There is that though? Like, most of the Tieflings get slaughtered no matter what. In this specific case they are taking a known weakness of Druids- the same one that existed in BG2- which often ends up in a druid grove being eradicated over time. It's very easy for not only the Tieflings to get slaughtered but also the Druids to get slaughtered because of their isolationists tendencies having obvious isolationist repercusions, and so a lot of the quest paths have the druids in significant problems because of that.

The same applies with most quests like the hag or the underdark and so on- while there are quests where you can be flatly successful, a significant portion of the times the best options are at most partly successful.

Hell, one of the criticism of the game is that it's very rare for anything the player can do to be actually successful.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Yes.

D&D was conceived with the idea of the normal/mundane coming into conflict with the weird/scary. It was regular people in a low fantasy medieval Europe, thrust into dank, dark places with foul beasts.

I'm beginning to suspect that this tard here is actually a JamesDixon sockpuppet.

Says the guy with a drawing of his own flaccid dick in his profile. You got me, bro. LOL.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yes.

You'd be wrong retard. I only have one account. So that means you're projecting and it's you with the sock puppet.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yes.

Says the guy with a drawing of his own flaccid dick in his profile. You got me, bro. LOL.

Isn't it amazing that this sub 85 IQ individual thinks we're the same person when you were on the Kotex for 2 years before I even showed up? It's all because we both know the history of the game. Hmm does this mean that Zed Duke of Banville is also a sock puppet of mine since he knows a lot more than I do about D&D and TSR history.

I guess it's true that if you can't actually defeat the facts that you have to be a childish retard to attack a person with an ad hominem. That'll show them!!!one1

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, so while moving around is easier with a controller just because of how shitty the camera is, interacting with anything suck huge dick. You can accidentally click on things you don't want to, like stealing shit from crates by mistake while trying to talk to an npc, and the name of objects appear in giant letters for no reason. Also, you don't get to see the icons so you have no idea what you are clicking is an interactable object (not liable to be considered stealing) or a crate of some form or another.

Starting to get irritated by this overall shit design modern gaymes.
Right-click > Examine.

Not what i'm talking about.
I know. You can hold Alt and click on things to take them, read them and throw them out if you don't need them. At least that's what I find myself doing, though it rarely gets to be such a problem for me.

Am i talking to a chatbot here?
Ok smartass, fix your UI problems on your own. Shithead.

Not that i have a choice, since reporting my UI problems here serves no purpose considering nobody reads what i write.

In your case though i think you didn't actually try to use a controller so you have no idea what i was talking. Basically, the way you interact with things with a controller is by facing your character in front of the object you want to "click". This merely highlights the object, but you get no distinctive icon (no gear sign for an interactive object or container icon for a chest or something), and since the text is huge in controller mode, hightlighing things makes it even harder to tell what it is that you are actually front facing (you also get no distinctive icons either while hightliging with a controller). Worse of all though if an NPC is surrounded by crates and stuff like that, it's too easy to accidentally face one of those instead of the NPC in question (especially since they can move around), which means you can accidentally attempt to steal something where all you wanted to do was talk to the NPC, which forces you to reload.

So while controller makes it easier to move around, interacting with the world becomes an ever worse nightmare than dealing with the camera on mouse+keyboard.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Arcane Trickster:​

Mage Hand Legerdemain: When you cast Mage Hand, the spectral hand is *invisible and can carry out additional tasks*.

Magical Ambush: While you are Hidden, your targets have Disadvantage on Saving Throws against your Spells.

SPELLTHIEF​

UNCOMMON MAGIC WEAPON
spellthief martial two handed ranged weapon blade baldurs gate3 guide 150px

1d8 norma dice icon weapon qualities baldur's gate 3 wiki guide 1
1D8
damage piercing icon bg3 wiki guide
PIERCING​

Arcana Vehemence: Once per Short Rest, you regain a Level 1 Spell slot when you land a critical hit with the Spellthief
Main Hand Only
brace (ranged) action icon baldurs gate3 guide 64pxBrace (Ranged)
icon proficiency bg3 wiki guide
Proficiency unlocks
piercing shot action icon baldurs gate3 guide 64pxPiercing Shot
icon weapon type bg3 wiki guide
Longbow
icon versatile bg3 wiki guide
Two-Handed
icon range bg3 wiki guide
18m

BRACE (RANGED)​

EFFECT​

brace (ranged) action icon baldurs gate3 guide 150px
braced status effect icon baldurs gate3 guide 64px
Applies Braced
Spend 7.5m of your movement speed. For the rest of your turn, your Damage Rolls for your Ranged Weapon Have Advantage, but you can't move.
recharge icon baldursgate3 wiki guide 25px
Recharge: Once per short rest.
Elven Weapon Training: You gain
Proficiency Icon.png
Proficiency in the following:

Astarion: *Elf* Rogue

:kingcomrade:

Looks like its time to make an honest woman out of Shadowheart and I know just the man for the job.

Mortmal

Arcane
I've put about 12 hours into the game so far. I'm not impressed.
First village you visit has a plot where you need to get racist druids to accept illegal immigrants. WTF.
12 hours and you haven't even realized what the first crossroads of the story is? Must've dumped INT at character creation.
Bonus points for not knowing the difference between racism and xenophobia, and it's hard to even really say that's the actual problem, when
the troubles with strict hierarchy are far more at the fore

They delayed the game's release for PlayStation to address performance issues.
Is the Playstation release date not the same as it was? i.e. Early September. Thought it was the Xbox Series that got the big indefinite, because they're struggling to get couch coop to perform well enough on the Series S and parity of gameplay is a requirement MS sets.

Yes, it's the original release date. It makes sense; it's still the ideal timeframe for the game's launch, especially considering they won't have competition from Starfield. Sven is undoubtedly a shrewd businessman.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So from what I understand the hot druid guy doesn't have a lot of content. Does that apply to his romance path too? And if it does, is the player at least allowed to romance everyone in the party?

Mortmal

Arcane
So from what I understand the hot druid guy doesn't have a lot of content. Does that apply to his romance path too? And if it does, is the player at least allowed to romance everyone in the party?
You can even romance an illithid, you should worry about nothing.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Bearsex druid doesn't care if you sleep around but apparently some of the other companions do so check the specifics for whichever one you like. Really though if your goal is to have sex with men in this game I don't think you need to worry, it's about 10x harder to avoid a man harem than it is to get one.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I never thought I'd say it. I was fervently hating that they called Divos3 "Baldur's Gate". I voted "I'm not going to play it" on all polls.

Well, I played it. Chapter 3 so far. I killed all the homos and twats - homodruid dead, homovamp dead, shadow cunt dead. And it was all allowed by the writers, I didn't just jump them out of nowhere. Other degenerates I just left behind. Playing with generic companions.

And as a result? The game is bearable. I'm lowkey liking it. The music is boring, and the game has cons, but in the end I'm playing it, and I couldn't say the same for the other failures like "poe".

So, okay, Larian. I kneel.

anab0lic

Novice
Hopefully there will be a mod to keep the camera zoomed out during character dialogue, the terrible looking character designs are a lot less offensive to my eyes from afar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom