Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Holy crap, i just realized if you talk to an NPC with another party member, you get the same dialog sequence again. Is this a bug or something?

Tried it on the lady that gives you the cake, and each was able to get one in turn. Then talked to the mage apprentice and it basically started out the same dialog again. This is kinda of bizzare. Why do i get a feeling this is a multiplayer feature that someone works with AI controlled characters as well. Wonder what happens if you pick "bad" dialog lines with a party member.

You get other race or class related dialog options if you talk to NPC with other character.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Can you please elaborate? I already finished the game, so you don't have to worry about spoiling anything.

They first appeared in AD&D 1E as monsters in the Underdark. They were updated to AD&D 2E while keeping them the same until Spelljammer came out. When Spelljammer was released they were now a spacefaring species that basically did the same thing that they did in the Underdark. Hunt humanoids for food. They hate others including their own kind. They are a hivemind with no real individuality.

Mind Flayer AD&D 1E.png

Mind Flayer AD&D 2E.png

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
JamesDixon that post was irony, man.

So was mine.

I never had a problem with you, so what's your beef with me? Hmm? Did I kick your mother in the head? Sleep with your wife?
No, I meant the post about Halsin being a hippie.

The post where I said you shouldn't make more accounts was serious. :lol:

Again I don't have anything personal against you. I never have. So again did I kill your wife, mother, dog?

Vatnik Wumao
Illithids
Centering the main plot around them is a sin in itself tbh. Having had spoiled myself of the endings, I just find them lame. Particularly the evil ones,
Where you get to mindcontrol the tadpole infected people (and going by the standard endings, you can't have companions remaining loyal to you by their own free will) and command over an army of cheesy octopus-headed people - also mind controlled, naturally. Which is a big meh as far as evil power fantasies go imho.

That and you can also choose to become Bhaal's eternal slave on top of that if you go Dark Urge (which is extremely lame compared to ToB's ending choice of becoming a god proper).

Game otherwise seems decent thus far, but there doesn't seem to be too much content catered towards LE playthroughs. Case in point, you can't even pick someone vanilla like Asmodeus for a LE deity as a cleric (not to mention Bane since Larian couldn't be bothered to add reactivity for worshipping one of the Dead Three), so you're stuck with racial gods for that. And speaking of evil playthroughs in general, seems that Minthara is nowhere near a properly fleshed out companion which is extremely lame.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Early Act 3:
My god, this story is retarded beyond words.
More detail please, objective analysis is always helpful

Stilll stuck in act 1 :negative:
None of the plot points respect Mindflayer lore whatsoever. They completely failed to understand what Illithids are and how they work.
Can you please elaborate? I already finished the game, so you don't have to worry about spoiling anything.
Mindflayers are not individuals. Not in any real sense. They can't just "break free" all of a sudden, regardless of what their host organism might have felt. They utterly replace the personality of the host. There are some outliers that do things forbidden in their society, like studying magic, but ultimately they are all controlled by the Elder Brain. The Emperor could not possibly exist. Any sign of retained memories from the host is abominable to an Illithid and they go so far as to operate on their own brains to expunge them. Certainly no random low level Illithid can just up and "leave" his colony, to say nothing of running around Baldur's Gate.

Orpheus is also clearly an invention of Larian. The name alone is retarded.

Looks like a lot of this idiocy came from Volos Guide for 5E, which is hardly surprising. I guess even Illithids can't be Always Evil anymore.
Trust me, it gets worse.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They first appeared in AD&D 1E as monsters in the Underdark. They were updated to AD&D 2E while keeping them the same until Spelljammer came out. When Spelljammer was released they were now a spacefaring species that basically did the same thing that they did in the Underdark. Hunt humanoids for food. They hate others including their own kind. They are a hivemind with no real individuality.

View attachment 39955

View attachment 39957
Quality old-school art BTW.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

So was mine.

I never had a problem with you, so what's your beef with me? Hmm? Did I kick your mother in the head? Sleep with your wife?

Again I don't have anything personal against you. I never have. So again did I kill your wife, mother, dog?
Me neither man. You rated my hippie Halsin post with "someone has issues", and I was afraid you may have taken it literally, as if I'm a hippie myself. That's why I insist on clarifying that that was irony.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Wait I picked a paladin and didn't choose my deity. Don't I get one or something?
It probably just gave you whatever the default deity is. If you click the proceed button during the character creation screen it proceeds to the actual game, so you have to click on the different tabs with attributes/deities/misc stuff in case you want to customise that

Herumor

Scholar
Early Act 3:

None of the plot points respect Mindflayer lore whatsoever. They completely failed to understand what Illithids are and how they work.
Mindflayers are not individuals. Not in any real sense. They can't just "break free" all of a sudden, regardless of what their host organism might have felt. They utterly replace the personality of the host. There are some outliers that do things forbidden in their society, like studying magic, but ultimately they are all controlled by the Elder Brain. The Emperor could not possibly exist. Any sign of retained memories from the host is abominable to an Illithid and they go so far as to operate on their own brains to expunge them. Certainly no random low level Illithid can just up and "leave" his colony, to say nothing of running around Baldur's Gate.

Looks like a lot of this idiocy came from Volos Guide for 5E, which is hardly surprising. I guess even Illithids can't be Always Evil anymore.
Yeah, about the "break free" part, the Emperor didn't break free on its own. The Emperor is actually Balduran - yeah, the Balduran who founded Baldur's Gate - and he was once infected by the mind flayer colony in Moonrise Towers and only broke free because Ansur, a dragon ally of Balduran, broke him free.

As to the other part, that being mind flayer individuality, Larian didn't invent that either, they exist outside BG3, at least just by glancing at some of the online wiki stuff I came across. But the hosts retaining memories - I can look past that for the player character and companions due to this being special tadpoles and the Emperor giving you even more specialized tadpoles, but yeah, I remember reading that basically the host is completely obliterated, along with their soul, once the tadpole reaches a certain point in ceremorphosis.

Vatnik Wumao
Which is a big meh as far as evil power fantasies go imho.
wut
This is THE evil power fantasy. Its the most common evil overlord thorpe.
Like I don't mind it in itself, but I guess I just find the whole Illithid army part lame. And since your future tales of conquest and rulership aren't portrayed in the epilogue, you're just left with that meh aesthetic of lame henchmen.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Early Act 3:

Yeah, about the "break free" part, the Emperor didn't break free on its own. The Emperor is actually Balduran - yeah, the Balduran who founded Baldur's Gate - and he was once infected by the mind flayer colony in Moonrise Towers and only broke free because Ansur, a dragon ally of Balduran, broke him free.

As to the other part, that being mind flayer individuality, Larian didn't invent that either, they exist outside BG3, at least just by glancing at some of the online wiki stuff I came across. But the hosts retaining memories - I can look past that for the player character and companions due to this being special tadpoles and the Emperor giving you even more specialized tadpoles, but yeah, I remember reading that basically the host is completely obliterated, along with their soul, once the tadpole reaches a certain point in ceremorphosis.
Fuck these people. Holy fucking shit.
:x

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Which is a big meh as far as evil power fantasies go imho.
wut
This is THE evil power fantasy. Its the most common evil overlord thorpe.
Like I don't mind it in itself, but I guess I just find the whole Illithid army part lame. And since your future tales of conquest and rulership aren't portrayed in the epilogue, you're just left with that meh aesthetic of lame henchmen.
The alternative could've been a more political scheming conquest of Baldur's Gate, but (not having played the whole game) I imagine it doesn't stay at the Gate that much. Looks like Act 3 is there, and then we leave? Not sure.

Also, in case you are a Forgotten Realms lore master, do illithids have souls? If not, how come we can Talk to the Dead to them? If yes, how come they don't manifest a God, like the other believers do?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Holy crap, i just realized if you talk to an NPC with another party member, you get the same dialog sequence again. Is this a bug or something?

Tried it on the lady that gives you the cake, and each was able to get one in turn. Then talked to the mage apprentice and it basically started out the same dialog again. This is kinda of bizzare. Why do i get a feeling this is a multiplayer feature that someone works with AI controlled characters as well. Wonder what happens if you pick "bad" dialog lines with a party member.

You get other race or class related dialog options if you talk to NPC with other character.

Yeah but the point i was making is that you get to do the dialog all over again. A conversation doesn't exaust itself with one character, you get to do it all over again with each one of your party members. It's kinda wierd.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

So was mine.

Me neither man. You rated my hippie Halsin post with "someone has issues", and I was afraid you may have taken it literally, as if I'm a hippie myself. That's why I insist on clarifying that that was irony.

No, I rated it that way because the character has issues not you man. Usually I rate your posts with the typical brofist.

Vatnik Wumao
Ideally, every character should've been allowed to pick a deity and have some optional dialogue fluff for it. And clerics could've had some extra fluff beyond that given their particular relationship with said deities (and likewise with patrons for warlocks).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ideally, every character should've been allowed to pick a deity and have some optional dialogue fluff for it. And clerics could've had some extra fluff beyond that given their particular relationship with said deities (and likewise with patrons for warlocks).
I mean, ideally you shouldn't even be able to pick up levels in Warlock to multiclass, unless you actually make a pact with a demon, as an in game quest. But we might be asking too much.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Illithids
Centering the main plot around them is a sin in itself tbh. Having had spoiled myself of the endings, I just find them lame. Particularly the evil ones,
Where you get to mindcontrol the tadpole infected people (and going by the standard endings, you can't have companions remaining loyal to you by their own free will) and command over an army of cheesy octopus-headed people - also mind controlled, naturally. Which is a big meh as far as evil power fantasies go imho.

That and you can also choose to become Bhaal's eternal slave on top of that if you go Dark Urge (which is extremely lame compared to ToB's ending choice of becoming a god proper).

Game otherwise seems decent thus far, but there doesn't seem to be too much content catered towards LE playthroughs. Case in point, you can't even pick someone vanilla like Asmodeus for a LE deity as a cleric (not to mention Bane since Larian couldn't be bothered to add reactivity for worshipping one of the Dead Three), so you're stuck with racial gods for that. And speaking of evil playthroughs in general, seems that Minthara is nowhere near a properly fleshed out companion which is extremely lame.
Pretty much all the FR deities are fucking retarded. WAY too many deities, also not helping the fact that they are always trying to outdick each other.
Greyhawk had better deities, which represented more ideas, concepts and moral values, rarely bothering mortals and intervening in their lives.
The deities which I rather like are Bane, Tempus, Cyric (FR version of Loki), Torm and Bhaal himself (strong contender for the title of the most evil piece of shit deity, either him or Cyric).
Wish BG3 would've fleshed out the classes more.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Illithids

Pretty much all the FR deities are fucking retarded. WAY too many deities, also not helping the fact that they are always trying to outdick each other.
Greyhawk had better deities, which represented more ideas, concepts and moral values, rarely bothering mortals and intervening in their lives.
The deities which I rather like are Bane, Tempus, Cyric (FR version of Loki), Torm and Bhaal himself (strong contender for the title of the most evil piece of shit deity, either him or Cyric).
Wish BG3 would've fleshed out the classes more.

Don't forget that every race has their own special snowflake deities either.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Reposting cuz posted it in wrong thread

So I've played it in coop with Orma starting this Monday. Despite having to wageslave we've managed to play it for 6 hours a day on average and it was mostly just me getting sleepy that made these sessions so short. I'm not gonna rate the story because 1 we haven't played through it yet, 2 I'm not the biggest storyfag out there. I like that you can be a total edgelord though. As for combat I think it's great, some fights are easier, some harder but especially on tactician basically none of them feels like it's trash fight, at times it's almost tiring because you can't autopilot them and hope for flawless wins. D&D works well for larian because as opposed to their own system you don't get 1000 different skills, some of which will inevitably be CC, the CC that you get is somewhat situational, you don't always want to use up the spells slots for it etc. DOS major problem was that once you've had your cc pipeline up and ready it was really hard to design the encounters that didn't boil down to being able to execute the cc chain correctly, which you can see in tactician mode of EE because it often just added resistances from these and those effects etc. In 2 they tried to fix this problem with now-infamous armour. Here being forced to use more restrained RaPeGame system meant that this issue is largely gone.

One thing I'll say because I've reminded myself of Sawyer when he was talking about making fighters feel more than basic attack machines. If I remember, all he did was making fighters apply various modifiers to themselves or their enemies, ironically limiting them to being rather shitty at anything but tanking.
What does Larian do about this problem, especially as they have to implement straight d&d into it? Oh well they add shove, throw and use improvised weapons, all having their effects scale with strength. Simple change that makes martials super fun to play especially since the game has a lot of verticality.

Herumor

Scholar
Speaking of clerics and gods - has anyone played a cleric as of yet? Wondering how the deity choice reactivity is in this game, apart from Selune for obvious reasons, Pathfinder WotR had it pretty decent.

Early Act 3:

Fuck these people. Holy fucking shit.
:x
I'm not a fan of the first spoiler either. I feel like they tried too hard to cram in too many relevant characters from the past / setting in Baldur's Gate 3, so their presence just feels off, as in forced.
Why Bane? As for the contest between Bhaal and Cyric, Cyric clearly had the bigger impact on the world, what with the Spellplague and everything. Bhaal just has the cool title of being the Lord of Murder, but otherwise, it's surprising how that religion even stays relevant given how everyone would just kill the clergy and the believers due to them being so damn incompatible with any sort of sensible society, evil aligned or not. At least Bane and Myrkul can have a clergy that's accepted somewhat in the wider world, Bhaal's just too fucking edgy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom