Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

just

Liturgist
those who romanced shadowheart you better cast (upcast if possible) cure disease on yourself jesus christ

Herumor

Scholar
It annoys me that you can loot Sarevok's helmet, but not his armor. And his armor is actually an item in-game, but there's no icon for it and when you put it on yourself it doesn't look anything like his armor.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Played a Japanese game as a palate cleanser after being pozzed too much from the BG3 "Henchthems" get it because they aren't henchmen.

The characters in BG3 are awful and too shit to be empathized with at all so you can just dark urge them if they say something dumb. But the characters in the Japanese game seem too good and unrealistic, no wonder they are having breeding problems.

Self-Ejected
Karlach is not a demon/devil but tiefling (they were completely gutted in 5e or 4e)
Now you mention it, there's tieflings everywhere in the game; I think they outnumber humans.
Did Baldur's Gate become Sigil or something after the Second Sundering?
It happened because before the events of bg3 a nearby city Elturel was sucked inside of Avernus because some idiot at the top got coaxed in a pact giving out the whole city. Now this also is what created so much tieflings. You don't only born to be one you can become one if you are exposed to the lower planes. So when the event of descent of avernus (an official module) ended and Elturel returned in to the material plane many of the resident were changed in tieflings this is what also lead to the great migration. Due to fear from the citizen one of the first problem born when Elturel was in Avernus no more were the misstrust and also the fear of tieflings. This is what lead many Tieflings to travel seeking a new life in the gate.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Figured out the "I can't talk to anyone" bug. It took reloading many, many saves.

It's related to an event that was supposed to happen after a combat and never did, because the character in question was shoved onto a lower floor.

Complete bullshit.

Last edited:

PapaPetro

Karlach is not a demon/devil but tiefling (they were completely gutted in 5e or 4e)
Now you mention it, there's tieflings everywhere in the game; I think they outnumber humans.
This is related to the Decent into Avernus module where Eltruel was dragged to Avernus by Zariel (this was a level 1-13 adventure).
Most of the tieflings you encounter in the game are the result of this event. They were then driven out of the city.
BG3 starts a few weeks after the end of the module.
It's just that setting of BG3. It happens pretty much right after the Descent into Avernus module, which saw the capital of Elturel, a city with a large tiefling population, dragged into hell. Some shit happened, the city came back into the material plane, and Tieflings either fled Elturel in order to not be dragged into hell with it, or were cast out by the non-Tiefling population who blamed the Tieflings for what happened once it returned. Either way, they're basically trying to make their way to Baldur's Gate in the hopes of starting fresh, and it's the reason why basically none of them are warriors or fighters either. The one with actual combat skills would've fought in Avernus.
I guess I'll have to take a look at Descent into Avernus for some extra context.
I enjoyed Out of the Abyss.
(right-click links to save as .gifs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected
This is related to the Decent into Avernus module where Eltruel was dragged to Avernus by Zariel (this was a level 1-13 adventure).
Most of the tieflings you encounter in the game are the result of this event. They were then driven out of the city.
BG3 starts a few weeks after the end of the module.
It's just that setting of BG3. It happens pretty much right after the Descent into Avernus module, which saw the capital of Elturel, a city with a large tiefling population, dragged into hell. Some shit happened, the city came back into the material plane, and Tieflings either fled Elturel in order to not be dragged into hell with it, or were cast out by the non-Tiefling population who blamed the Tieflings for what happened once it returned. Either way, they're basically trying to make their way to Baldur's Gate in the hopes of starting fresh, and it's the reason why basically none of them are warriors or fighters either. The one with actual combat skills would've fought in Avernus.
I guess I'll have to take a look at Descent into Avernus for some extra context.
I enjoyed Out of the Abyss.
Here for you my friend...

Got you covered!

Gargaune

Arcane
patch_baldurs_gate_3_Release_-_v4.1.1.3636828_-_Patch_Patch0_Hotfix3_(66686)_to_Live_-_v4.1.1.3648072_-_Patch_Patch0_Hotfix4_Launcher_fix_(66847).exe

:nocountryforshitposters:

I've never had to
tldr.png
a filename before, I wonder if Larian are aware that Windows paths do actually have a character limit. Because together with my folders, the above's pushing 224 against a default max of 260. There's a certain point where technical ineptitude in a software outfit becomes seriously aggravating.

Anyway, is v4.1.1.3648072 the "good" one that doesn't break your game like it's the Owlcat Olympics?

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
-Give some enemies ... thunderwave
Getting pushed off a cliff by imps in Raphael's basement is the most unfun antifun I had in the game so far.

Insta-kill buttons are rarely fun, especially so when wielded by the enemy but even when wielded by the player. Killing low-level mobs with words of death or similar stuff is ok-ish in some games but when it works on bosses it becomes really unsatisfying (except when it only works when he's weakened, then its good again)

It is especially bad since a push is a bonus action rather than replacing a normal attack. You can usually do your normal attacks and spells and still get your shot at an instakill on top of that. Assuming the terrain has some kind of chasm or steep fall, which many battles do.

The changes Larian made to both Jumping and Pushing are purely to the negative of the game, IMO. Jumping makes positioning much less important as movement is much much easier (ludicrously so) and you can't as effectively use your martial classes to protect your squishier dudes in the back, while pushing is just a very low-cost attempt to either insta-kill someone or put them prone.

Has larian offered any kind of defense or reasoning for these retarded choices?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Anyone who claims that jumping in BG3 is anything less but absolute kino is delusional. It should be working this way in the tabletop too.
I don't mind it, I just wish non-magical jumping was a bit weaker, currently scales too much with strength. Also I wish it was better automated, sometimes people won't follow me because their first attempt to jump was blocked by another companion, and then they don't make a second attempt and just sit there.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Yeah, reducing that nonesense is actually a big achievement of 5th ed.
Half of the fun of a fight is casting buffs.

All the lames CRPG now days are too afraid of buffs. I want games where i cast 5 pages of a spellbook for buffs in a 6-party group.

I definitely don't like all those concentration based spells in 5e. Wanna cast haste? Fine, but go fuck yourself if you wanna use another useful spell.

Shaki

Arbiter
I do hope that I am not the only one who killed that disgusting tranny in Act 3.
9g4UPgj.jpeg
I was really surprised they even let me kill the tranny, last time I tried killing super annoying NPC self insert character - the genius girlboss tiefling kids leader - she turned out to be straight up immortal :decline:

volklore

Arcane
Getting pushed off a cliff by imps in Raphael's basement is the most unfun antifun I had in the game so far.

Insta-kill buttons are rarely fun, especially so when wielded by the enemy but even when wielded by the player. Killing low-level mobs with words of death or similar stuff is ok-ish in some games but when it works on bosses it becomes really unsatisfying (except when it only works when he's weakened, then its good again)

It is especially bad since a push is a bonus action rather than replacing a normal attack. You can usually do your normal attacks and spells and still get your shot at an instakill on top of that. Assuming the terrain has some kind of chasm or steep fall, which many battles do.

The changes Larian made to both Jumping and Pushing are purely to the negative of the game, IMO. Jumping makes positioning much less important as movement is much much easier (ludicrously so) and you can't as effectively use your martial classes to protect your squishier dudes in the back, while pushing is just a very low-cost attempt to either insta-kill someone or put them prone.

Their environment design I guess. If you don't position pre-fight you kinda need the jump change because enemies often start in better position than you, up high. I think jumps should be purely vertical and not a replacement for horizontal movement which it often ends up being. I don't mind that change much because everything was designed with it in mind and enemies abuse it as well.
The shove one is a bit more of a problem as there are too many insta death chasms around imo (although getting rid of bosses this way does cut you of good rewards), but it feels pretty great if you just play with surfaces/cloud of daggers. Otherwise it would not be useable in most scenario as attacking with a weapon would be a better choice for the most part.

I am much more annoyed at stuff like the haste change for example.

Last edited:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
jumping in this game is retarded
But is it fun?

For world exploration I don't mind it, but it sucks for combat. In combat, it is just mostly free movement (PnP rules are that 1 foot of distance covered jumping should use up one foot of distance you can move, but it was not implemented that way in BG3), and lets you bypass obstacles that have significant height such as NPCs and monsters.

So it really lets you correct bad positioning quickly while also making it so neither you nor the enemy can really use melee fighters as a way to try to block you from attacking the back ranks. And that makes combat less fun.

Maybe it is fun for some people in the sense that, "you press a button and something awesome happens!", but the codex used to mock that attitude rather than relishing in it. The idea being that more meaningful choices in combat and difficulty were better gameplay than having cool looking stuff happen on screen.

janior

Arcane
Patron
so I did the act 2 towers fight and man Jaheira combat prowess is so pathethic she rushed in and died first round lmao rip

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I mean Jaheira doesn't even wear armor, so that goes about as expected.

She's been in countless fights tougher than some cult goons, but still immediately gets ganked.

Yeah she's senile.

janior

Arcane
Patron
guess u could ask her to join your party and make her hide in the corner for the entire fight lol, she needs a buff or something, an elite cult goon is at least 2 times stronger

just

Liturgist
so I did the act 2 towers fight and man Jaheira combat prowess is so pathethic she rushed in and died first round lmao rip
got that experience too
only thing missing was her screaming LEEROY JENKINGS while rushing in fucking stupid hag, it's the elf blood
then the rest of the elite harpers died from standing in hunger of hadar

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Their environment design I guess. If you don't position pre-fight you kinda need the jump change because enemies often start in better position than you, up high. I think jumps should be purely vertical and not a replacement for horizontal movement which it often ends up being. I don't mind that change much because everything was designed with it in mind and enemies abuse it as well.
The shove one is a bit more of a problem as there are too many insta death chasms around imo (although getting rid of bosses this way does cut you of good rewards), but it feels pretty great if you just play with surfaces/cloud of daggers. Otherwise it would not be useable in most scenario as attacking with a weapon would be a better choice for the most part.

I am much more annoyed at stuff like the haste change for example.

By making it easier to get out of a bad starting position it also just makes positioning less important, period. And that actually weakens all their level/encounter design. When all it takes to get around the fact that an enemy ranged attacker is on high ground you can't quickly get up to is one bonus action, then that negates the value of having terrain like that in the first place.

Larian did a lot of beautiful level/encounter design. But the fact that jump brings us half-way to having both sides line up and take turns attacking whichever enemy they want to negates a lot of that.

And it isn't all just the player getting out of bad positioning. That also lets the enemy negate your goof positioning that gains you an advantage.

I would much rather deal with having to retry some fights where I make adjustments to the initial positioning of my party and keep the importance of the positioning to enhance the level/encounter design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom