Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Rhobar121

Scholar
The guy is a publisher shill. Stopped watching his videos once i learned that he's bought by publishers.
I'm sure it's a given that every single eceleb is a shill. There was a case when one of the FPS game genre e-ecelebs Gman or something got caught shilling for fucking EA out of all things if I remember correctly and then just went ahead and confirmed it and adopted it as "yeah, because it's good no shit". YouTube channels are the new press, so obviously anyone who's popular is going to have their hands in the pot.
I always knew that Australoid slag was dirty. Never liked his take on guns, always smacked exactly the kind of drivel a "gun nut" in a land with no guns would sound.
What do you expect, when their patreon doesn't take off, they have to pay for the professional mic they bought :lol:
I get that you are being sarcastic but i wanted to elaborate on the issue regardless:

If you are a public figure who speaks about the quality of games to the public, and/or has influence on people's game purchase decisions, you shouldn't take perks from publishers or have relationships with people who represent publishers (e.g. their PR teams). Perks: early game releases, gifts, collectibles, VIP access to company, travel and board to their studios, free games and other misc. swag, etc. There's an obvious conflict of interest there. It's not that hard. Apparently though the market has spoken and people don't care enough to blackball youtubers who do take perks/get VIP treatment from game publishers/game developers.
You don't get a copy of the game before release = you can't review in time = most will watch elsewhere = you'll lose views.
The exception are reviewers who make reviews a circus like AngryJoe.

MerchantKing

Learned
really enjoyed wizard tower and vioconia enocounter in act 3 so far won the latter oner by the skin of my teeth not sure if there was some gimmick to it, just kited the whole room back to the corridor(had to use beholder)
performance seems to be fine overall i get 30 to 60 fps, switched from dx11 to vulkan and game stopped crashing(you get less fps but its more consistent at least on an amd card) .

Viconia encounter

That shit is straight character assassination.
yeah was out of place, same with jaheira, would be for the best if they didn't make old characters part of the game also for some reason they made their character models ugly af

Jaheira is totally fine and still mostly in character, even though she abandoned the harpers should you romance her ass in BG2. It's at least not that far fetched to see her returning to the fold or some shit like that.

Viconia
and especially
Sarevok
are fucking atrocious and the definition of character assassination. I understand that WotC wants to push their canon dog water lore, but Larian should've just skipped them entirely.
The best part is that Jan Jansen (PBUH) is untouched of course. He was always the best characer with the best dialogue and the best storyline. And the beautiful part of the character is that it's impossible for a studio these days to include him as a character without getting a defamation suit from the ADL!

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
really enjoyed wizard tower and vioconia enocounter in act 3 so far won the latter oner by the skin of my teeth not sure if there was some gimmick to it, just kited the whole room back to the corridor(had to use beholder)
performance seems to be fine overall i get 30 to 60 fps, switched from dx11 to vulkan and game stopped crashing(you get less fps but its more consistent at least on an amd card) .

Viconia encounter

That shit is straight character assassination.
yeah was out of place, same with jaheira, would be for the best if they didn't make old characters part of the game also for some reason they made their character models ugly af

Jaheira is totally fine and still mostly in character, even though she abandoned the harpers should you romance her ass in BG2. It's at least not that far fetched to see her returning to the fold or some shit like that.

Viconia
and especially
Sarevok
are fucking atrocious and the definition of character assassination. I understand that WotC wants to push their canon dog water lore, but Larian should've just skipped them entirely.
It seems Larian forgot that Sarevok could be redeemed and that he had a more tragic ending (suicide if I remember correctly or him fighting against an entire army of orcs).

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
So, what's the deal with Shadowpussy?
Do you have to wine and dine her first?
Yes, it's one of the most cringe-inducing date scenes I've ever seen in a video-game romance.

BG 2 has some pretty awful romances, but man that wine on the river bit made me genuinely cringe. I honestly think that was written by someone who has never gone on a date before, let alone get laid.

The saving grace for romances in BG2 is that they were all via text and some voice lines, thereby allowing you to avoid the most cringe worthy aspects of such cheesy role playing. Unlike today, there was no horrible 3D video of elf dicks clipping into dwarf pussies with jittery tit jiggles and plastic looking skin. Or gay vampires with gay gheri curls drinking gay wine from gay glasses. It's all so gay, which makes it terrible. And super gay

Herumor

Scholar
It seems Larian forgot that Sarevok could be redeemed and that he had a more tragic ending (suicide if I remember correctly or him fighting against an entire army of orcs).
I think we can easily put Viconia, Sarevok and everyone else's post-BG2/ToB fates on WOTC rather than Larian. Not sure how much leeway WOTC gave Larian. Does anyone actually have this kind of info? I'm interested to see how much input WOTC had on these kinds of things.

Hagashager

Educated
I think we can easily put Viconia, Sarevok and everyone else's post-BG2/ToB fates on WOTC rather than Larian. Not sure how much leeway WOTC gave Larian. Does anyone actually have this kind of info? I'm interested to see how much input WOTC had on these kinds of things.
If the statements by Larian are any indication I imagine Sven and the rest had very little leeway on writing their story. They're not chomping at the bit to make more BG content.

90% of this game feels heavily curated. Yeah, sure, it's definitely a Larian game, but even D:OS 2 doesn't have this level of razor-sharp *specificity* in its writing. It feels like a Larian game that WOTC meticulously looked over, hovered over their shoulder and greenlit every other word, character, power, spell, quest etc.

I'd even argue the overtly D:OS inspired elements aren't actually Larian's doing, but WOTC meticulously demanding *that* too because it worked so well before.

Licensed properties are always tightly controlled, and D&D is a brand with global reach and impact, so you can bet Wizards didn't just allow Larian to do anything they wanted. This is why licensed games were pretty much shit all across the board until the Batman Arkham games managed to be actually fun and respectful of its source material.

If the statements by Larian are any indication I imagine Sven and the rest had very little leeway on writing their story. They're not chomping at the bit to make more BG content.

90% of this game feels heavily curated. Yeah, sure, it's definitely a Larian game, but even D:OS 2 doesn't have this level of razor-sharp *specificity* in its writing. It feels like a Larian game that WOTC meticulously looked over, hovered over their shoulder and greenlit every other word, character, power, spell, quest etc.

I'd even argue the overtly D:OS inspired elements aren't actually Larian's doing, but WOTC meticulously demanding *that* too because it worked so well before.
This is the most likely scenario. There's also other business rules like it having to fit in a schedule and line of products about Baldur's Gate, it having to be a 5e game, etc. Don't forget that there was indeed a 4e game, which wasn't the Neverwinter MMO, and it did so atrociously badly that nobody even remembers it existed. And it's not even a decade old. D:OS was already out when that game was released. All in all, D&D has a better track record of game adaptations, especially when compared to Warhammer, so there's a bit of worry about that, going for a tried and true formula.

proxon

Educated
I guess my playthrough is now broken because I never spoke to Zevlor, after resolving the Enclave situation, so no Halsin in my camp. Also the goblin murder butler hasn't spoken to me in ages either.
Yeah, goblin butler showed up after bard kill and than i sort of forgot about him. Next time he appeared for me was in chapter two, after the inn fight.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Parabalus

Arcane
Yes, it's one of the most cringe-inducing date scenes I've ever seen in a video-game romance.

BG 2 has some pretty awful romances, but man that wine on the river bit made me genuinely cringe. I honestly think that was written by someone who has never gone on a date before, let alone get laid.
Yet the patricidal chick is the most normal option and slurped up.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If the player is BardMAXXXing and fucking everything they can, you can end up in a romantic relationship with Shadowheart, holding hands, a kiss per day, no sex... while at the same time fucking at least two devils, and a pair of Drow twins. Shadowheart even comments something like "well okay, as long as you save some for me", even though you haven't been together yet. Very bizarre.
And because I know Larian are experts at writing characters and plot, I am sure this is all planned and intentional, and therefore Shadowheart is a cuckold who enjoys watching you fuck other women while not getting any herself. Its canon.

Sunri

Liturgist

If the player is BardMAXXXing and fucking everything they can, you can end up in a romantic relationship with Shadowheart, holding hands, a kiss per day, no sex... while at the same time fucking at least two devils, and a pair of Drow twins. Shadowheart even comments something like "well okay, as long as you save some for me", even though you haven't been together yet. Very bizarre.
And because I know Larian are experts at writing characters and plot, I am sure this is all planned and intentional, and therefore Shadowheart is a cuckold who enjoys watching you fuck other women while not getting any herself. Its canon.
After all she is the only white woman in the party, we are lucky that she didnt fuck scratch

Parabalus

Arcane

She can join you with the Drow twins as well.

volklore

Arcane

And yet she stops everything the moment you are ''locked in'' the frog romance. Can't even do the two chicks catfighting for mc approval from the first cutscene of the game. Talk about bardmaxxing...

turkishronin

Arcane
That disgusting black circus tranny.

I wonder how many players just went murder hobo after having contact with that abomination.
Is the flamboyant crossdressing drag queen circus act really that offensive?
Its over 2000 years old. Literally more of a european tradition than wearing pants.
Obama made them woke

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Finished the game, mostly liked it. Had much fun. End was bit rushed but that came expected after the no-lifers finished act 3 early.
Not the best RPG of all time, but a strong contender for the best RPG of the year. 8/10, will play again once Beamdog brings out the EE with all the cut trannies.

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Is the flamboyant crossdressing drag queen circus act really that offensive?

Freak shows, circuses, carnival periods etc provided release from the strain imposed by rigid social structures, and they did so primarily by offending said social structures.

Being offensive was the whole point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom