Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

volklore

Arcane
Dragon Age Origins did choice and consequence right. For example if you kill the mages the templars join your army, or if you wipe out the elves you get werewolves instead, etc. Big one near the end of the game is that you can recruit Loghain at the cost of Alistair.

Now look at the choices in BG3, wipe out the tieflings? Lose 3 companions, 4 if you can't convince Gale to stay. Lose quests and vendors, miss out on one of the best pieces of equipment in the game. And in return you get Minthara who is essentially a glorified hireling with bugged dialogue. Kill Nightsong? Everyone in Last Light in gets fucked, lose Jaheira as a companion meaning you also lose Minsc as a companion in act 3. Try to team up with Gortash in act 3? Doesn't matter, gets killed anyway so the game can railroad you back into the way that Larian wants you to play. These aren't choices and consequences, it's you getting fucked over because you dared decided to try and roleplay.
Bg3 doesn't have good CnC, but this type of CnC dictating who's gonna be the cannon fodder clutter in the final fight isn't good. It's extremely lazy and might as well not be there tbh. The loghain/alistair is also shitty CnC simply because you lose a mele fighter and you regain one at the same level. what kind of CnC is that. If you're gonna make people lose a companion that late in the game, it should force them to rethink their tactics. Allistair and Logain are basically interchangeable. It's just pure storyfaggotery and not what people were discussing with CnC in BG3 (they were mostly talking about gameplay consequences). Most games CnC is literally just branches leading to the same general ending with tiny anecdotal variations and DAO is exactly the same.

BG3 missed good opportunity with act2, could have made Moonrise an evil path-only hub and last light good-only path with the possibility of crossing over with hard skill checks (like per/deception). But that's just the game in a nutshell lots of wasted potential.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard01.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Mizora is a fun character true. Good thing is you don't have to engage at all with wyll after recruiting or take him in your party and his ''quest'' will play out normally.
As I discovered, Mizora's and Wyll's questline will start to play out at the end of Act II, even if Wyll has been a corpse in the player's camp since early in Act I. :M

Although I did resurrect Wyll at that point, and I'm sure this questline would bug out if Wyll remained dead, since he's eventually needed in cutscenes concerning his contract for Mizora and then other things.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Does anyone have a screenshot of Wyll frolicking around the camp? I could use it to illustrate my review and the part about the horror aspects of the writing.

I'm serious BTW.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Karla wyll and you kill halsin so 3 companions
Getting Minthara on top of getting rid of these is a win-win. And the fact she isn't a special snowflake mouthing off about her problems is actually an improvement.

Companion writing is so bad that its absense is preferrable to its presense. I did like Laezel's and to a big extent Shadowheart's personal quest, but that's it.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Question:
Not counting Gray Dwarves, how many dwarves that roughly fit the fantasy stereotype are in the game?
One?
Guys, seriously, help me out with it.

I'm not saying dwarves have to fit the classic image, I'm just confused... What is a fantasy dwarf in 2023? Short stout human and that's it?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There's a lot of choices in BG3 but I'm not sure if there's too many significant consequences.

C&C? Larian is more concerned with T&A.

:smug:

VerSacrum

Educated
Karla wyll and you kill halsin so 3 companions
Getting Minthara on top of getting rid of these is a win-win. And the fact she isn't a special snowflake mouthing off about her problems is actually an improvement.
Theoretically Halsin is also just a regular druid dude and actually has the levels to back his story up when he finally joins the party unlike the rest. Shame he's a fag and a creep (leaving him alone with that kid was probably a bad idea).

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Question:
Not counting Gray Dwarves, how many dwarves that roughly fit the fantasy stereotype are in the game?
One?

I'm not saying dwarves have to fit the classic image, I'm just confused... What is a fantasy dwarf in 2023? Short stout human and that's it?
They got the Duergar completely wrong.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Question:
One?

In case you haven't noticed practically ALL the fantasy races in BG 3 (or WotR or Solasta) are just humans that look different. None of them have any distinctive fantasy traits except for appearances. The only exception I can think of were goblins. Funny, mischievous little dudes.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon Age Origins did choice and consequence right. For example if you kill the mages the templars join your army, or if you wipe out the elves you get werewolves instead, etc. Big one near the end of the game is that you can recruit Loghain at the cost of Alistair.

Now look at the choices in BG3, wipe out the tieflings? Lose 3 companions, 4 if you can't convince Gale to stay. Lose quests and vendors, miss out on one of the best pieces of equipment in the game. And in return you get Minthara who is essentially a glorified hireling with bugged dialogue. Kill Nightsong? Everyone in Last Light in gets fucked, lose Jaheira as a companion meaning you also lose Minsc as a companion in act 3. Try to team up with Gortash in act 3? Doesn't matter, gets killed anyway so the game can railroad you back into the way that Larian wants you to play. These aren't choices and consequences, it's you getting fucked over because you dared decided to try and roleplay.
To be 100% fair, being evil in the BG games wasn't earth shattering as far as consequences go. I think I remember this being one of the criticisms aimed at BG II back when it was released. Except maybe having to kill a Silver Dragon.

However, BG II was released before MOTB, and many other RPGs that weren't shy to give the player the outcome they deserved for an evil playthrough.

That being said, I still think forums like these are great, because you'll never hear any mainstream reviewer actually address these things, and making all these near perfect scores BG III's been getting even more of a joke.

Sunri

Liturgist

Thats a good thing, people complain that game i easy, and they can play evil and make game harder for themselves last light fight was a lot challenging in my evil playtrough first you kill normies then they all resurrect, and you have to kill them again as zombies its cool then you lose nightsong and you dont have immortal npc in Thorm fight i didnt lost jaheira or minsc i just told jaheira that someone killed Isobel, and she should fight with me, and she joined my camp she only attack or leaves if you tell her that it was you that killed everyone and Mintara has a lot of dialogue anyway her scene when she vows to kill absolute is quite epic a probably better than karlach and wyll whole story combined anyway to many Sawyer fans here with this bullshit balance approach not everything needs to have equal rewards

Hagashager

Educated
From what I've seen Mirantha is actually very popular. Shadow tits was by far the most romanced. The fag/tranny gamer population is wildly over stated. Most gamers are regular dudes. The average gamer is more conservative than the average person definitely

That's the problem with the ESG shit. I mean, in theory, free markets and all that, you'd have developers appealing to their majority audience, which is still mostly straight white males - so you might have some bikini chainmail and a bit of lesbianism between hotties only, but nothing much beyond that (which is what the situation was prior to about the end of the Noughties).

Instead companies are being compensated by investment companies specifically not to appeal to their theoretical natural audience, in fact to demoralize their theoretical natural audience.

That has backfired several times though. Some companies such as Warner and even Disney have literally lost a lot of cash due to wokery.

I can name recent examples even, like the new Indy movie flopping. Or how barely anyone gives a shit about Star Wars anymore.
None of that matters. It truly doesn't.

Forget this crap about "Disney going bankrupt and losing millions."

They are funded by hedge funds who absolutely can and will cover those losses. The only *real* battle Disney can't actually afford to lose is the Reedy Creek debacle.
There are enough Disney consumers, mainly overworked families that the ESG-pushing hedge funds can cover the difference.

There is no "Go Woke Go Broke" for Disney.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't mind this at all. There might be a lack of additional benefits for some choices, I'll admit that, but the fallout of your actions to be this size in scope is good.

MerchantKing

Learned

Thats a good thing, people complain that game i easy, and they can play evil and make game harder for themselves last light fight was a lot challenging in my evil playtrough first you kill normies then they all resurrect, and you have to kill them again
That fight was a trash mob fight. Easy fight on Tactician. The only difficulty is if you want to keep Jaheira alive which you might as well not even bother because she's just going to ice storm herself to death anyways (the canon end of her character arc).

As far as the "best pieces of equipment" mentioned, there's only two or three really worth getting there and it's not a big deal if you can't get them. Besides, you can fix that problem easily:

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/426?tab=description

It's not cheating because it's your computer therefore your rules. It's roleplaying because the guy only has it because it was left in the forge in the city. No way he's creating all those items in the time it takes to reach his shop given that he should be reaching the city around the same time you do and no way he has the time to make it while traveling. Also Legacy of the Masters is a BG1/BG2 item, it should be available in game to anyone who finds it or it's not in game at all. Besides, not getting those items isn't a big deal.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
I finally finished it today after seething two days ago because I crashed on the last stage of the last boss.

Thoughts:

Act 3 was painfully rushed and it's equally painfully apparent. Also it feels like half the npcs are black and/or gay in act 3. When the halfling told me to go save her WIFE in the underground prison I almost lost it and just genocided them there. Why are nearly all the fucking halflings and gnomes homosexual? Yet the ending cutscene just has a single black dwarf, did they do it before they pozzed out act 3?

Karlach's ending with wyll was as cringe as I thought it would be. I'm just glad I'll be killing both of them alongside halsin, the shit trio, on my next run. The drow has to be better than any of them. SHE HAS TO BE.

I get the feeling that playing it on tactical will be pathetically easy if I do a four fighter run. They get a stupid amount of attacks to the point where I repeatedly found myself wondering why I was allowing anyone using magic in party at all.

Sunri

Liturgist

Thats a good thing, people complain that game i easy, and they can play evil and make game harder for themselves last light fight was a lot challenging in my evil playtrough first you kill normies then they all resurrect, and you have to kill them again
That fight was a trash mob fight. Easy fight on Tactician. The only difficulty is if you want to keep Jaheira alive which you might as well not even bother because she's just going to ice storm herself to death anyways (the canon end of her character arc).

As far as the "best pieces of equipment" mentioned, there's only two or three really worth getting there and it's not a big deal if you can't get them. Besides, you can fix that problem easily:

It's not cheating because it's your computer therefore your rules. It's roleplaying because the guy only has it because it was left in the forge in the city. No way he's creating all those items in the time it takes to reach his shop given that he should be reaching the city around the same time you do and no way he has the time to make it while traveling. Also Legacy of the Masters is a BG1/BG2 item, it should be available in game to anyone who finds it or it's not in game at all. Besides, not getting those items isn't a big deal.
I'm not talking about fight in the tower you dumb dumb...

MerchantKing

Learned

I'm not talking about fight in the tower you dumb dumb...
Sounds like a skill issue on your part. All the fights are extremely easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom