Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought the Haste spell giving a full proper action is a bug and I never really used it.
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

We're all used to design decisions that don't fit codexian sensibilities. But only with Larian I have that - "was a homo sapiens present at any stage of production?" feeling.
I don't meant that they are worse, just extra baffling.

Anyone else has that impression?

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Well, be an asshole, deal with nobody wanna deal with you, should be a good life lesson for you
That's not really an argument for not making an evil path viable though.
Yeah where are the fellow assholes in the evil playthrough so we can scheme against all the heroic fags and trannies?
As far as I can tell, only one of the companions (Astarion) gets more powerful than a normal character if you complete his quest a certain way. All the rest of them don't. Additionally, it doesn't really seem like any of them have unique content. There is almost always a breadcrumb quest that overlaps with the companion quest. You don't really lose content apart from all the irritating commentary of the companion character and their tendency to way outshine your silent main character just because they get more plot and more screen time. If anything, you get more content because you can kill the "bad" guys and the "good" guys in the same run. If anything, running more companions punishes you with more cutscenes that add more meaningless gibberish piped from the remainder bin of the BritBox streaming service.
You just lose Wyll and Karlach's quests if you play evil and Minthara doesn't have one even after she gets patched. And there are a number of side quests you lose besides companion quests and you don't gain a single one

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I thought the Haste spell giving a full proper action is a bug and I never really used it.
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

We're all used to design decisions that don't fit codexian sensibilities. But only with Larian I have that - "was a homo sapiens present at any stage of production?" feeling.

Larian put it a lot of dumb combat breaking mechanics. Haste, unlimited strength potions, 1 level wizard dip giving you access to the full wizard spell list via scrolls, tavern brawler. Trivializes combat, you can blow up every enemy on turn 1 or 2 including bosses

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Larian put it a lot of dumb combat breaking mechanics. Haste, unlimited strength potions, 1 level wizard dip giving you access to the full wizard spell list via scrolls, tavern brawler. Trivializes combat, you can blow up every enemy on turn 1 or 2 including bosses
It does feel like they played it very loose with the rules. I'm playing Solasta currently, and it feels more restrictive and appropriate in that game.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

1 level wizard dip giving you access to the full wizard spell list via scrolls,
Nope.
Any class can use any scroll, classes without magic at all will simply don't benefit from stat bonus for some spells.
Pretty sure that's how it works, unless they patched it recently. And I doubt it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
a1935-16921593318859-1920.jpg

Fuck your custom character tranny dragon dildo shit.
Bring back normal characters/portraits.

Shaki

Arbiter
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

1 level wizard dip giving you access to the full wizard spell list via scrolls,
Nope.
Any class can use any scroll, classes without magic at all will simply don't benefit from stat bonus for some spells.
Pretty sure that's how it works, unless they patched it recently. And I doubt it.
He doesnt mean casting from scrolls, he means learning from scrolls. 1 lvl wizard 11 lvl cleric for example, lets you learn lvl 6 wizard spells

MerchantKing

Learned
It does feel like they played it very loose with the rules. I'm playing Solasta currently, and it feels more restrictive and appropriate in that game.
Solasta still has a 5e problem though.

volklore

Arcane
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

No Larian changes are all made with a logic, definitely not codexian but a logic nonetheless. They are all made to make the combat more flashy. That's how they made turn-based popular with normies with DoS, DoS2. The haste change is in the same spirit as the bonus action jump and shove. They just want turns to be action packed. They made the haste change so that casters could have fun with it too.
Larian isn't too concerned with balance overall and tbh it doesn't even matter much. I play with haste restored to regular rule via mods, doesn't make the game much harder nor does it make haste less of a no-brainer on a martial. There are tons of other stuff which destroy encounters like summons for example which retardedly strong both at mitigating damage you take and dishing out some back. 5E fells like a very limiting ruleset sadly, mechanics seem to be mostly an afterthought.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Why, it seems to fit you well
It's from the internet, nigger.
Still fits you to a t, nigger.
That Larian cock shoved down your throat fits you to a t, nigger.
Try not to choke on it or anything. We wouldn't want to be deprived of your incredibly valuable input on BG3, DA NEW REVELATION OF RPGS.
Keep worshipping tranny RPGs.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Try not to choke on it or anything. We wouldn't want to be deprived of your incredibly valuable input on BG3, DA NEW REVELATION OF RPGS.
My my, is that a way to speak of a game you're so desperate to play you're asking for cosmetic improvements

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

My my, is that a way to speak of a game you're so desperate to play you're asking for cosmetic improvements
Tranny Dragonborn Dildo Simulator 2023.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Tranny Dragonborn Dildo Simulator 2023.
Exactly, and you want to play it. Interesting

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

No Larian changes are all made with a logic, definitely not codexian but a logic nonetheless. They are all made to make the combat more flashy. That's how they made turn-based popular with normies with DoS, DoS2. The haste change is in the same spirit as the bonus action jump and shove. They just want turns to be action packed. They made the haste change so that casters could have fun with it too.
Larian isn't too concerned with balance overall and tbh it doesn't even matter much. I play with haste restored to regular rule via mods, doesn't make the game much harder nor does it make haste less of a no-brainer on a martial. 5E fells like a very limiting ruleset sadly, mechanics seem to be mostly an afterthought.
So what's the current max number of attacks on fighter, without the potion of bloodlust?

Something like 9 or 12 with Belm?
The ride never ends.

:prosper:

MerchantKing

Learned
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

It's the logic of making an rpg-theme amusement park rather than the logic one would use while making an rpg. That is, no coherent logic at all. A good part of that incoherence is coming from wotc itself however.

volklore

Arcane
Oh no. Nonononono.
It works as intended.

Larian isn't too concerned with balance overall and tbh it doesn't even matter much. I play with haste restored to regular rule via mods, doesn't make the game much harder nor does it make haste less of a no-brainer on a martial. 5E fells like a very limiting ruleset sadly, mechanics seem to be mostly an afterthought.
So what's the current max number of attacks on fighter, without the potion of bloodlust?

Something like 9 or 12 with Belm?
The ride never ends.

:prosper:
Pretty much. Idk what Belm is. Regardless I think the overall encounter and how they start you often surrounded in a bad position doesn't make it inappropriate. They just ''forgot'' to actually give HP and damage to mobs in tactician. There is no reason to CC anything in this game except for very rare encounters (mostly in early game) because nothing is really a threat. So haste just becomes a clean shit faster.
For example, I did
Sarevok fight
the other day. He got three rounds because I play with a mod that adds extra HP (and +2AB/DC) and he didn't even get Lae'zel down.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Fighter with Improved Extra Attack, Martial Exertion Gloves, Helm of Grit and some form of bonus action attack (GWF kill/crit bonus, Polearm Master) can hit 12 attacks per round. Probably not optimal, but possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom