Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
First he fucked the frog, now it turns out he also fucked Gale
Nope. I left that scene. Turned Astarion down too. You'll have to review your own gay bear sex if you want it so badly.

edit:
Shaki, citation is many pages ago.

Elthosian

Arcane
It's sad when people can't recognize gems like D:OS 2 for what they are because of nostalgia glasses. Baldurs Gate 1&2 had way less C&C and reactivity than D:OS 2, not to mention worse combat. They were good games, but far from perfect.

I'll concede that BGs story is superior though, no doubt. Although D:OS 2 has its moments.
I'll agree with the general idea that the Codex is way too negative on new stuff just to be cool/hipsters, but good lord. I'd rather replay BG2 a hundred times than go through Div:OS2 again. I liked it at first but it turned into a horrible slog, fine for a single playthrough but now I can't even get through the prologue. The combats take way too long and consist of blanketing every area in firey smoke lightning water, the writing is unreadable word vomit, the characters are hideous, the world is tiny and has no sense of coherence, and I don't even remember the story it was so boring.

I replayed BG2 just a bit ago and it was still as good as ever. Still, I bet if you comb through archives you'll find plenty of people here saying BG1/2 were casual decline compared to Wizard's Crown or whatever.
Personal favorite was reading on the Dex about BG2 represents Bioware's Decline.

Their second game? That's the start point, huh? That would imply Bioware was almost never good, and the 'Dex's top list has a lot of Bioware on it.

In other news: I find it weird that Larian include fucking Vitiligo but not more common disabilities. I get it, resource wise we're talking about a saturation slider, but would it kill them to include a missing eye, or crooked nose?

Beyond that, game looks fine to me. I enjoyed D:OS 2 and I'm sure I'll enjoy this when I get it.

It's just virtue signaling but also extremely cheap to implement. I'd dare to say that it's even easier than firing up Blender to model a crooked nose.

gongal

Scholar
Bro, the guy literally says that he wants you to meet him alone, so that he can show you some magic. It’s the most obvious mingle invitation a man could make.
Forgive me for not being the expert on gay romance you clearly are.

I don't recall anything in the dialog about meeting him "alone". You're right there in the camp. You don't go anywhere.

He just says a bunch of bullshit about magic being like music and then offers to show you what he means.

See 2:12 for the invitation. Nothing romantic about it, unless you think by "Weave" he means an asshole.

Was all this degenerate garbage harder to trigger in EA versions?

Devastator

Learned
I've been playing this a bit every day, I'm almost to level 5. It's not nearly as bad as I expected, pretty decently polished so far. Some references to the first game(s) in various letters and lore. I also took in this stray cunt, I wonder how long it will take me to run into an old man.

P.S. The DirectX game executable has been rock stable for me, but the default vulkan one kept crashing every few hours or so (latest drivers and hotfix didn't help).

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I never played that far into EA. There were a lot of bugs and placeholder stuff that I didn't want to spoil myself on. The most I did was get to the Underdark or test the tadpole mechanics.

Also, I didn't like Gale very much and usually killed him. Turns out I had the correct instinct.

Modron

Arcane
If the Mass Effect trilogy taught us anything the only way to completely safeguard your other honor is to be a complete asshole to every single man you ever meet in AAA/AA RPGs no exceptions.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
First he fucked the frog, now it turns out he also fucked Gale
Nope. I left that scene. Turned Astarion down too.
28824.jpg

According to that video you have to initiate the kiss (Gale is shocked and says "I...I didn't think-") and you get a "I don't like where this is going" option first. (edit: actually two)

:avatard:

Bro, the guy literally says that he wants you to meet him alone, so that he can show you some magic. It’s the most obvious mingle invitation a man could make.
ELQu9hLWwAAQ0vA

gongal

Scholar
It hasn't been this easy to hate every NPC companion in a single game for me since forever (second to Wrath of the Trannyous maybe)

Larianshill

Arbiter
Who, when playing Early Access, could have possibly guessed that
kith'rak Voss
would turn out to be a total bro and a stand-up guy?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Gale's romance attempt is waaaaay more gay and intrusive than Astarion's.

Astarion just asks you for sex one day and you can turn him down. Gale has this entire "let's learn magic" scene with no indication that it will be romantic beforehand, that has your character animated like a massive faggot, who is uncomfortably close to Gale right up until the end where you choose whether or not to kiss him.

They really should have an opportunity to kill the romance long before this shit happens.

Again, (((testers))) must have been MASSIVE FAGGOTS to allow this shit and not the scantily-clad dream lover.

Just enjoy your virtual gay romance, no need to pretend to hate it, you ain’t deceiving no one.

Oh fuck right off with that, "you're arachnophobic so you must secretly want to fuck spiders" bullshit.

There's not the slightest hint that Gale would be a faggot, or even bisexual. His intro at character creation speaks of him having the goddess as a lover, he's conjuring the image of a goddess as the intro to the sequence, etc., etc., he just seems totally hetero up to that point.

Either the developers were really lazy, having a laugh and just had a sequence designed for female player characters be exactly the same as the sequence for male characters (because being a conformist to woke crap allows that), or they did it deliberately as a "teaching moment." Either way, it's a carbuncle.

Again, even I could have forgiven it (not personally, but as a bit of the game) if it had been after some gay flirting that my character had chosen to get involved with, but to have that look of smiling gay longing forced on your character out of the blue like that, when you haven't given the slightest hint of it up to that point, and then not even having the possibility of a termination where you can refuse his advances respectfully (because you still like him even if he's a fag) is really quite revolting, jarring and unwanted.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Forgive me for not being the expert on gay romance you clearly are.

I don't recall anything in the dialog about meeting him "alone". You're right there in the camp. You don't go anywhere.

He just says a bunch of bullshit about magic being like music and then offers to show you what he means.

See 2:12 for the invitation. Nothing romantic about it, unless you think by "Weave" he means an asshole.

I heard the music and the way he looked, and immediately noped out. Nope, like that Dark Souls meme gif.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I heard the music and the way he looked, and immediately noped out. Nope, like that Dark Souls meme gif.
It's 10+ hours into the game and there've been a half dozen scenes with sappy music and Gale. He had just gotten done giving this backstory about how in love he was with Mystra and how he'd shared a bed with her etc.

How is the player supposed to know that the guy pining after some bad hologram of a woman is actually craving buttsex?

Bonerbill

Augur
BG3 has broken most codexers. Trying to find something good in Fallout 4 /oblivion just to "spite" Larian is laughable.
Also, somehow this game has magically made the boredom called Poe good in the anti Larian eyes.

This game deserves Goty just by the virtue of pissing of Poe fanboys and Sawyer.
I'm a fanboy of POE 1&2 and I think this game is great.

Post proof of any hate from us. Otherwise, STFU and go suck a dick you little nigger faggot.

Sunk 30 hours into this since Thursday and haven’t had any major complaints. I’ve been engaged the entire time, enjoying the adventure. Combat is fun. I get a kick out of shoving enemies down chasms.

There are issues of course, most of them minor, oh and the occasional bug.

I’m not the biggest fan of Larian’s on the nose faggotry, but the game has been undeniably charming. It doesn’t make me roll my eyes every five minutes like Wrath of the Righteous.

Aphex81

Scholar
I've changed my mind arround level 5 when i got 2 attacks per turn. I like the game now and weirdly enough i like the writing.
That said is there a way to make Shadownerd not suck? I mean all of her spells are useless and she never hits anything with her noodle arms.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's 10+ hours into the game and there've been a half dozen scenes with sappy music and Gale. He had just gotten done giving this backstory about how in love he was with Mystra and how he'd shared a bed with her etc.

How is the player supposed to know that the guy pining after some bad hologram of a woman is actually craving buttsex?
I knew because I've read your posts.

You're saving me a lot of trauma.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Random thoughts after hitting level 4.

Everyone's epic at level one. Best mage, best fighter, best offensive stereotype (you know which character I'm referencing here). Can't take that shit seriously.

Writing is inoffensively bland so far. I can't tell if I should qualify that as a major strike against the game, or as a pleasant surprise.

The Michael Jackson chick is fun though, and her VO makes an effort. In general, the acting is decent so far.

Still not sure what to think about the voice narration. Love the voice, not keen on having my inner narrator voice overridden.

Some of the encounter design on Tactician is gnarly. With a lvl 3 party, I went from pwning a lvl 4 gnoll party with a lvl 5 raid boss at the helm, to being wiped repeatedly by a bunch of lvl 2 goblins.

The game has a lot of individually nice looking assets, but next to no art direction. The supposed high production value that they hooked the normies with is surface deep. Half the animated conversations look like the characters are having a stroke or are falling asleep; there's lots of twitching, jittering, robotic movement, weird angles. The game just doesn't look that great in motion.

Not having any idea how a class progresses is fucking awful.

But not as awful as the UI and party management. Who the fuck asked you to "fix" drag select? You have tabs for skills related to wiping your character's ass on a Wednesday, but you can't make an inventory with item class tabs?

I like the puzzle box nature of individual locations, but I dislike the world as a whole. The game feels like it's taking place in a shoebox.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The Graceful Cloth would be a really cool armor if the male version didn't have the stomach cut out on the sides.

Larian, if you want "equality" in clothing, you can just not show skin on BOTH versions, not make the male one look more effeminate.

:deathclaw:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Everyone's epic at level one.
It's 5E. A) leave your expectations of things making sense at the door, and B) the level range abstracts a different level of power. For example, Decent into Avernus, a 5E campaign, is for level 1 - 13 characters. That's a campaign where your character is going into the Blood War itself, and it's level 1 - 13.

Also, there are some story reasons why some characters, especially Gale, have been neutered back to level 1.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom