Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Rhobar121

Scholar
If theres's one thing that hope all CRPGs going foward to steal from this game is all the Thievery and Stealth aspect. Spliting your group and , taking enemies one by one and stealing actual good loot from NPCs is the best aspect of Larian's game.. The verticality too.
The issue is the complete lack of investigation that shopkeepers have. Like I just stole half their inventory for the 50th time and they aren't reacting?

"HELLO PERSON WHO JUST ENTERED THE CAMP FOR THE FIRST TIME A FEW DAYS AGO, GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN AND I'M SURE IT'S JUST A COINCIDENCE THAT CRIME RATES JUST WENT UP BY 5000%! WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU? MORE USELESS JUNK FROM PEOPLE YOU'VE KILLED? SURE I'LL BUY THAT FROM YOU! BREASTPLATE THAT LOOKS SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE THE ONE I HAD STOLEN FROM MY SHOP YESTERDAY? SURE, I'LL BUY THAT TOO!"

Please, this is not good game design
Yeah, this is like not my experience at all. They start to sniff after loosing pretty much anything - and you don't have to wait till the 50th item.
Might be able to continually convince them it wasn't you, but I'm not sure how this works.

Well, except for them not caring where we have items we sell them from, that's true.
Are you joking? NPCs have no memory whatsoever. Hide for 30s and then come back to them once they are finished wandering about like retards, they do not react in any way. The ONLY way they react differently is if they saw you steal the item, and it's trivial to use items like the fog cloak to guarantee success at stealing.

If you are caught in the area that's different - then they magically know it was you that stole the item*, and you have to pass a speech check not to get aggroed.

* this happens even if you were disguised at the moment of the theft, or are now disguised, or even that the person who did the theft isn't present but rather his party mates are

It's a shit system

And I didn't even mention the fact that the game gives you a free teleport that allows you to escape from the area the second you are done stealing
Actually the system wasn't bad but it wasn't finished.
Just removing instant teleportation would improve it a lot (I understand why it's there though).
Also, NPCs should not forget what you did as soon as you teleport to the camp and back.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Wait, that's it with the Bhaal ending? 20 seconds of a cutscene? Really? What a ripoff.
And worse yet, zero voice acting or custom animations apart from the player's last line. All of your companions just do generic pantomime like NPCs.

It's like they didn't expect anyone to actually commit to the evil option in the end.

The failed Bhaalist ending has more put into it than that.

You're turned into a mindless rape-animal who runs around rutting and pissing himself before he murders his former companions in their camp.

Question about the video. It says your lover would never let you a breed a spawn then cuts to Astarion. How would two fags breed?

raeven

Educated
If theres's one thing that hope all CRPGs going foward to steal from this game is all the Thievery and Stealth aspect. Spliting your group and , taking enemies one by one and stealing actual good loot from NPCs is the best aspect of Larian's game.. The verticality too.
The issue is the complete lack of investigation that shopkeepers have. Like I just stole half their inventory for the 50th time and they aren't reacting?

"HELLO PERSON WHO JUST ENTERED THE CAMP FOR THE FIRST TIME A FEW DAYS AGO, GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN AND I'M SURE IT'S JUST A COINCIDENCE THAT CRIME RATES JUST WENT UP BY 5000%! WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU? MORE USELESS JUNK FROM PEOPLE YOU'VE KILLED? SURE I'LL BUY THAT FROM YOU! BREASTPLATE THAT LOOKS SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE THE ONE I HAD STOLEN FROM MY SHOP YESTERDAY? SURE, I'LL BUY THAT TOO!"

I mean, you're not wrong.

Is there actually any game that does this differently, though?

raeven

Educated
It feels like every RPG has massive immersion breaking holes like this. The ones that don't are ones that have less or more limited systems in the first place.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I've got other super soldiers that want that Bane to land. Expected value of 1d8 is still 4.5 malus on any made save which is pretty nasty, especially since Bane attacks CHR.
Bane? Really? That's what you're using Concentration on? Hmm, IDK, kinda feels bad, man.

As usually in my book, superior offense trumps better defenses.
Bane isn't defense lol.

Saving throws. Bane attacks CHR so your procs, weapon abilities, and class abilities land vs CON/DEX/WIS to apply conditions that debuff saves on everything else. The first link in the chain reaction.

I find it both more fun and proactive (thus effective) than persistent clouds, kinda like not being a big fan of Sirrocco in P:K/Wrath. Shit gets too spread out for clouds (and granted sometimes Bane, but it's good against what I want to take down first).

And of course every link in the chain also makes the enemy suck more on its own. So yeah also defense.

Well, I could sympathize with the idea... except at lower levels the spell slots are pretty scarce.
I prefer those persistant aoes that I know I can rely on in my limited slots - over rolling the dice and spending spells for debuff -> CC chains.
The point is to take the dice out of the equation by attacking CHR save with Cutting Remarks backup. Then chance of avoiding first weapon proc/ability gets cut in half (at least) which gives disadvantage on the next roll etc.

Nice thing with Ranger MC is Entangling comes with disadvantage on the save built in so multiple chains are going from the outset.

The thing about Eldritch Blast is that don’t you have to hit with the Ray? That’s its own dice roll and melee isn’t the best place to make it from usually.

Desiderius

Patron

Yeah, this is like not my experience at all. They start to sniff after loosing pretty much anything - and you don't have to wait till the 50th item.
Might be able to continually convince them it wasn't you, but I'm not sure how this works.

Well, except for them not caring where we have items we sell them from, that's true.
Use TB mode.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I've got other super soldiers that want that Bane to land. Expected value of 1d8 is still 4.5 malus on any made save which is pretty nasty, especially since Bane attacks CHR.
Bane? Really? That's what you're using Concentration on? Hmm, IDK, kinda feels bad, man.

Bane isn't defense lol.

Saving throws. Bane attacks CHR so your procs, weapon abilities, and class abilities land vs CON/DEX/WIS to apply conditions that debuff saves on everything else. The first link in the chain reaction.

I find it both more fun and proactive (thus effective) than persistent clouds, kinda like not being a big fan of Sirrocco in P:K/Wrath. Shit gets too spread out for clouds (and granted sometimes Bane, but it's good against what I want to take down first).

And of course every link in the chain also makes the enemy suck more on its own. So yeah also defense.

Well, I could sympathize with the idea... except at lower levels the spell slots are pretty scarce.
I prefer those persistant aoes that I know I can rely on in my limited slots - over rolling the dice and spending spells for debuff -> CC chains.
The point is to take the dice out of the equation by attacking CHR save with Cutting Remarks backup. Then chance of avoiding first weapon proc/ability gets cut in half (at least) which gives disadvantage on the next roll etc.

Nice thing with Ranger MC is Entangling comes with disadvantage on the save built in so multiple chains are going from the outset.

The thing about Eldritch Blast is that don’t you have to hit with the Ray? That’s its own dice roll and melee isn’t the best place to make it from usually.
From what I remember, there is an item that allows you to use all spells in melee without penalty.

Desiderius

Patron

Bane isn't defense lol.

From what I remember, there is an item that allows you to use all spells in melee without penalty.
That isn’t what I meant. I get over 95% hit chance on Gale’s Witch Bolts by using Stealth and High Ground. Not realistic from melee.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
One thing you can't fault Larian for is not having the courage to have lots of knick-knacks tucked away that some people may never see in all their playthroughs. The previous two times I'd done the swamp, while I'd combed the swamp and found the treant area and all that, I'd never actually found the evidence re. Khaga, which leads to a nice little fight inside the grove with three shadow druids, and a slightly different resolution re. Khaga and Halsin (and of course within that there were different choices and no doubt slightly different rewards depending on whether one passed or failed Persuasion checks).

I wish Larian had spent more time sticking to all that good stuff and perfecting it, and left the floppy cocks and purple-haired, metallic-lipsticked Antifa half-orcs to the modders.

Desiderius

Patron
Looting Khaga's chest vectors you there. That's (the evidence guardians) a nice tactical fight where Jump tricknology can let you get high ground to surprise them from the back. Don't sleep on the Shield with the Entangling proc.

Lambach

Arcane
I wish Larian had spent more time sticking to all that good stuff and perfecting it, and left the floppy cocks and purple-haired, metallic-lipsticked Antifa half-orcs to the modders.

How do you think the game sold so well and penetrated deep into the mainstream market? Normies love that shit.

I still claim that playing the bear sex scene during one of those presentations was one of the best marketing moves I've ever seen.

"OH MY GOD YOU CAN HAVE SEX WITH A BEAR AND THAT SQUIREL'S FACE OMG SO WAAAAAACKYYYY I WONDER WHAT OTHER CRAZY SILLY STUFF YOU CAN DO IN THIS GAME :D :D :D :D"

Boom, instant hype and increased interest from people who don't even know what a turn-based RPG is, let alone have ever played one.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

How do you think the game sold so well and penetrated deep into the mainstream market? Normies love that shit.

I still claim that playing the bear sex scene during one of those presentations was one of the best marketing moves I've ever seen.

"OH MY GOD YOU CAN HAVE SEX WITH A BEAR AND THAT SQUIREL'S FACE OMG SO WAAAAAACKYYYY I WONDER WHAT OTHER CRAZY SILLY STUFF YOU CAN DO IN THIS GAME :D :D :D :D"

Boom, instant hype and increased interest from people who don't even know what a turn-based RPG is, let alone have ever played one.
They published more stats like a month ago. Shadow pussy was by far the most romanced companion followed by Lae'zel and Karlach. The amount of gaymers and troons playing these games is vastly overrated

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
They published more stats like a month ago. Shadow pussy was by far the most romanced companion followed by Lae'zel and Karlach. The amount of gaymers and troons playing these games is vastly overrated
Not every player is equally productive when it comes to fandom. Said gaymers and troons are overrepresented among people who make Lets Plays, YouTube clips, fan art, cosplay, mods, text fanfic, etc, which is effectively marketing for the product Larian is selling.
This is also why furry games as a niche can exist, because furries are so fucking productive for some reason. Where a normal person is a fan, a furry is a fanatic.

Hagashager

Educated
Started a playthrough with three Milqtoast Normie friends who have no history of RPGs whatsoever. It's been an enlightening experience, though I doubt this'll keep up.

We just reconciled the issue with Kagha and the Grove by finding the note that reveals her to be a Shadow Druid puppet. The three friends are all typical Californian Neoliberals with unflappable loyalty to the state and mainstream media. The responses were thus:

Normie #1: Totally tuned out. Doesn't even know what's going on. He's playing a Male Dwarf Fighter. He's likely going to drop out.

Normie #2: Surprisingly into it. Pretty reasonable actually. Of all the people, I thought HE would bow out soonest, but no, he's down for the long haul. He loved there being three different routes regarding Kagha. Didn't know games could be that complex. He's playing a Male Human Sorcerer.

Normie #3: The most dynamic and frankly unhinged. She wanted to kill Kagha, would absolutely not hear about non-violent solutions. She wanted to  kill Kagha. This sparked a really stupid and uncomfortable argument about determinism. Later she decided she didn't like Astarion because he kept hitting on her PC. She wonders why other women like him so much when he's clearly a "womanizing misogynist." To her credit though, she was taken aback by the choices and consequences. Turns out attacking the mean, nasty, lady who hates the poor red-skinned devil people is a no-no, despite her insistence murdering big bad racists is right. Likewise, she hates Lae'Zel and dislikes, vehemently, that the game forces you to have her at camp. That all said, she's up for pressing on. Like Normie #2, she's morbidly curious to see all the various avenues quests can go. At this rate though, I expect her to hate Jaheira because she has five kids and I assume she'll see nothing wrong with Gotash's robot army as long as they kill the right people. She' playing a female, Elf Rogue and acting as the party face.

Also worth noting, they know nothing of Forgotten Realms or DnD. Had to explain to Normie #3 that "The Bitch Queen" is not an insult, and Normie #1 was ready to kill the Tieflings on sight because "They look like fucking devils!"

MerchantKing

Learned
ready to kill the Tieflings on sight because "They look like fucking devils!"
amsYVJ1.jpg

Late Bloomer

Scholar
They published more stats like a month ago. Shadow pussy was by far the most romanced companion followed by Lae'zel and Karlach. The amount of gaymers and troons playing these games is vastly overrated. I swear I didn't get my asshole stretched out by a bear on my 5th playthrough. Only straight digital romance for this guy!

That's a cope if I've ever seen one. If you play this game, you are a homosexual zoophiliac.

Last edited:

Hagashager

Educated
amsYVJ1.jpg
You'd appreciate that conversation MerchantKing. It went like this:

Normie #1: Hey, so there's like Devils who have that that green frog woman we met on the tentacle ship. They have her in a cage. How should I fight these guys?

Me: Uhhh, they're not actually devils. You can talk to them.

Normie #1: What do you mean they're not devils? They have bright red skin, giant horns and glowing eyes. They look like fucking devils!

Me: They're called Tieflings. They're mortals who've been touched by Hell and made to look like that, but it doesn't translate to their morality.

Normie #1: So...how normal is that in this setting? Hell just...doing things casually?

Me: It's pretty normal.

Later, at the Druid Grove.

Normie #1: This is a really hamfisted allegory. Are Tieflings like some allegory for immigrants, or Gypsies or something?

Me: In this case, yes.

Normie #1: I think its still really weird that fucking Hell just has a...minority in this setting.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If you guys ever do a murder everything run, you'll be surprised how many things get absolutely broken or don't have reactivity.

Not that I necessarily blame the devs, killing everyone would be a ridiculously tedious and difficult thing without cheat tools.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Gale wouldn't be so awful if he wasn't such a creep by arranging all these elaborate situations to stealth hit on the player. It's annoying at some point.

"Oh, I'm gonna reveal my backstory to you. Put your hand on my chest!"
"Uh, can't you just share your thoughts through the tadpole...?"
"No! Feel my chest! Make uncomfortable eye contact!"

Why do almost all of the NPCs have to make the first move? Shadowskank is the only one I can think of where the player has to pursue her, and it's really more a matter of tolerating her long enough to get to her lore dump.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Not that I necessarily blame the devs, killing everyone would be a ridiculously tedious and difficult thing without cheat tools.
I think I've only ever done this in Arcanum, but it worked fine. At worst, NPCs dropped a letter or a diary or something.
Normie #1: This is a really hamfisted allegory. Are Tieflings like some allegory for immigrants, or Gypsies or something?
I remember back when Meb and co shat themselves over my saying that.

MerchantKing

Learned
amsYVJ1.jpg
You'd appreciate that conversation MerchantKing. It went like this:

Normie #1: Hey, so there's like Devils who have that that green frog woman we met on the tentacle ship. They have her in a cage. How should I fight these guys?

Me: Uhhh, they're not actually devils. You can talk to them.

Normie #1: What do you mean they're not devils? They have bright red skin, giant horns and glowing eyes. They look like fucking devils!

Me: They're called Tieflings. They're mortals who've been touched by Hell and made to look like that, but it doesn't translate to their morality.

Normie #1: So...how normal is that in this setting? Hell just...doing things casually?

Me: It's pretty normal.

Later, at the Druid Grove.

Me: In this case, yes.

Normie #1: I think its still really weird that fucking Hell just has a...minority in this setting.
I really hate these special snowflake races. It was better when it was only Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Half-Elves, and, most importantly, Gnomes. It's too bad they added all these weird demon races and Larian had the gall to make halfling characters pretend that they're Gnomes. They seriously want me to believe that those homosexual Halfling LARPers are really Gnomes? They don't even look like Gnomes! And even worse, instead of questlines about a humble merchant helping out friends and family at his home, we have a bunch of stupid special snowflake marvel movie garbage questlines where the characters attempt to sexually assault your character at random.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom