Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Barbarian

Arcane
I will go with assassin/gloom stalker then. It does fit with the god of murder/urban serial killer thing the durge has going.

Which class should I take first though? Besides skill and attribute save proficiency what will I miss taking one or the other?

If I understand correctly, taking rogue first level and then ranger I still get favored enemy and natural explorer right?

Barbarian

Arcane
ITT, this would be the build(which would really come online at level 6). ASI at character levels 7 and 8(rogue level 4 and ranger level 4 respectively). Alert feat would be picked at one of them for the +5 to initiative mainly. Character will be quite the skill mule. Picking Drow or High Elf would net +1 skill proficiency(perception). Wood Elf +2(Stealth and Perception). Potential 9 to 11 proficiencies. Also quite a few useful spells to cast.

Half-Drow Durge

Str: 10
Dex: 17(+2)
Con: 10
Int: 11
Wis: 14(+1)
Cha: 13

Skills(Class)
Acrobatics
Deception
Stealth
Perception

Skills(Background Haunted One)
Arcana
Medicine

Lv1(rogue1):
Sneak Attack 1d6
Dancing Lights spell(from race)

Lv2(ranger1):
Bounty Hunter(Investigation proficiency)
Urban Tracker(Sleight of Hand proficiency)
Insight skill proficiency

Lv3(rogue2):
Cunning Action
Faerie Fire spell(from race)

Lv4(ranger2):
Two Weapon Fighting style
Hunter's Mark spell
Speak with animals spell

Lv5(assassin3):
Sneak Attack 2d6
Assassinate
Darkness spell(from race)

Lv6(gloom3):
Dread Ambusher
Umbral Sight
Disguise Self spell
Ensnaring Strike spell

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
10 con :shredder:
also Im planning to take intimidate skill just in case I want to tell dark urge to fuck off

Barbarian

Arcane
10 con :shredder:
also Im planning to take intimidate skill just in case I want to tell dark urge to fuck off

They are not clear on what this "intimidation" save to resist the ruge is.

I imagine it is actually you resisting being intimidated. In that case wouldn't it be a charisma save? That is the reason I pumped it to 13(which will be increased to 14 when I replace my right eye with a prosthetic :obviously:)

Barbarian

Arcane
Nevermind, it is intimidation checks against you. And you make a wisdom save to resist it.

Depending on how difficult these saves are and which class you pick, "Resilient" feat might be useful(option to add proficiency to wisdom saving throws).

Also level 7 gloom stalker gets "Iron Mind" which is basically proficiency in wisdom saving throws. Maybe make that my main class after all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Watching that interview with Swen, he really, really discouraged Dark Urge for first playthrough, but his argument was a little different than others have said. Basically, he said that it would make a bigger impression on you on subsequent playthroughs due to knowing how the story played out. That heavily suggests whydoibother is right that the Dark Urge is the main antagonist. So now I'm not so sure whether I'm going Dark Urge after all...

Barbarian

Arcane
Watching that interview with Swen, he really, really discouraged Dark Urge for first playthrough, but his argument was a little different than others have said. Basically, he said that it would make a bigger impression on you on subsequent playthroughs due to knowing how the story played out. That heavily suggests whydoibother is right that the Dark Urge is the main antagonist. So now I'm not so sure whether I'm going Dark Urge after all...

I'm pretty sure it is the origin which makes the most sense to those who played the original games. That is why I'm playing it.

It was also most certainly the "origin story" for tav at one point.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm pretty sure it is the origin which makes the most sense to those who played the original games. That is why I'm playing it.

That was my feeling, but again, watching that interview with Swen he discouraged it very strongly.

jackofshadows

Magister
Nevermind, it is intimidation checks against you. And you make a wisdom save to resist it.
Really? So the default class Sorcerer for DU has the proficiency for them right from the start, makes sense.

Grunker could you please link it? I've lost that twitch channel somewhere.

Barbarian

Arcane
Really? So the default class Sorcerer for DU has the proficiency for them right from the start, makes sense.

Grunker could you please link it? I've lost that twitch channel somewhere.

Nope, sorcerer gets charisma and constitution saves. Min-max build would have wisdom as dump stat and be very vulnerable.

Barbarian

Arcane

That was my feeling, but again, watching that interview with Swen he discouraged it very strongly.

I didn't watch the interview, but what exactly did he say? If durge is main antagonist that would actually arguably make playing him on 2nd playthrough very meta and spoilery.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I didn't watch the interview, but what exactly did he say? If durge is main antagonist that would actually arguably make playing him on 2nd playthrough very meta and spoilery.

He said that you would appreciate the Dark Urge much more on subsequent playthroughs because with many events you would go "oooooh..." Doesn't get much more specific.

Salvo

Arcane
Keep in mind the average target audience for Larian Games being somewhat casual, even moreso in the case of Baldur's Gate 3.
I'm sure the reason Dark Urge is discouraged is players wouldn't like having control taken away from them regarding some decisions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Keep in mind the average target audience for Larian Games being somewhat casual, even moreso in the case of Baldur's Gate 3.
I'm sure the reason Dark Urge is discouraged is players wouldn't like having control taken away from them regarding some decisions.

That was what I thought, but that wasn't the reason he gave at all.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Grunker Barbarian Stop making me reconsider and reconsider and reconsider what I'm playing first arrrrrrghhgh

Casuals will step on the trap in the very first room of the very first act, activate the chain explosion, and not know how to use the turn based system to get out.
Also there's difficult fights even in Act I, and we are told things get more difficult in Act II. I very much doubt this game is a hit with the Call of Duty audience. But they will play for more than 2 hours before they find out, so Swen gets their shekels.

Saravan

Savant
I've seen some discussion of Friends here. From EA, yes, it does have the -10 adjustment, and this does lead to conflict, but not necessarily violence. You have the opportunity to pass another check in order to avoid conflict, and you can use Friends again to win this check. Kind of like doubling down on the Enchantment. The only NPC I've had to kill without reloading was the dog. I used Friends to Intimidate it to come back to camp, and when I rested at camp, the negative reaction caused the dog to become hostile.

So with my build of +2 Charisma bonus, +2 Proficiency, Friends, Guidance 1d4, you will on average (I haven't worked probability in a minute, but I'm going by 2D20 choose best is 13 average, +4 CHR/proficiency, +2.5 Guidance) make 19. Add Karmic Dice (which they might adjust) and an inspiration point for must hit rolls, and suddenly your character is reliably passing DC 15 checks.

That is, High Elves, in addition to their other bonuses, have the ability to reliably pass Act 1 CHR checks provided they have proficiency and choose Friends. I haven't done the real math on it, but from my estimates with EA, High elf noble with 14 CHR and Friends can reliably (8/10 or 9/10) pass every proficient CHR DC 15 check in Act 1, with about a 50% shot of passing DC 20. Then, you can use inspiration points if you fail to turn that into a solid 9/10 without reloading. Now, I'm not going to increase CHR from ASI for my character, so the PC may not be successful in future acts if they do amp up the DC. But it does work for Act 1.
You forgot one crucial factor full blood elf characters can’t have beards.

Barbarian

Arcane

That is the reason they made it a separate origin, obviously. There was negative feedback at playtesting. The average snowflake would get very butthurt about doing random acts of evil, specially if playing a good protagonist.

Salvo

Arcane

Can't really call the people you're trying to sell a game to a bunch of pussies now, can you?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Can't really call the people you're trying to sell a game to a bunch of pussies now, can you?

He could just say “this is not suitabæe for beginners” or other PR speak. What He gave was another reason entirely

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
He could just say “this is not suitabæe for beginners” or other PR speak. What He gave was another reason entirely
If Durge is about fucking over other people, it would be more impactful if you first know who the other people are, what are their wants and needs. That way you know what it is that you are breaking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom