Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

You autists realize he wasn't trying to do a mathematical proof was just making a point that books already have unlimited potential so it doesn't matter how much more potential video games have?
Books can't have game-level interactivity, therefore their potential isn't unlimited.

And there are things that games can't have (or can only have severely hampered). For example if a game started suddenly explaining what the character is thinking (eg. via a voice-over or text) it would be jarring and annoying whereas in a novel it is perfectly natural.

Also, I doubt video games can ever possibly beat movies when it comes to pacing or purity.
There is no media that has "infinite potential". Perhaps more fruitful would be to discuss which has the most untapped potential but the answer would obviously be video games due to the short while they have been around.

You mean like they did with Thief, one of the greatest game series' ever made?

Still I understand and agree with the general point you are making. Pacing is a very powerful tool in linear fiction but it is one that games necessarily have to relegate to being a second class element if they want the more important elements to come through (player agency). Authorial pacing is not relevant when the player is self-driving the experience, which you will always get when the player is being properly entertained. Pacing control is just one element that games can't do as well as other media, and the sooner designers recognise this limitation (as well as the many others), the sooner they can start making games that work to the medium's real strengths.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
John Walker strikes again, this time about System Shock 2:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/15/on-difficulty-a-few-hours-with-system-shock-2/

Things of interest:

For instance, it’s been a while since I thought, “I really should have read the manual”.

Most bizarrely, the instructions for most of these elements, and more importantly how they relate to the world around you, are found in Information points mounted to the walls in the baddie-infested corridors. Even reading how to flipping play the game is dangerous. Because all those elements are further complicated by the need to charge some of them up via occasional charge points, others require the use of injections, food, boosters, software, and many other never-explained bits and pieces.

Despite appearances, I’m not an idiot. I fathomed pretty much all of it as I needed to. But I became aware that the process of fathoming as I go along is not one I miss. I think a game released today that was so muddled, so jumblingly complicated, would be criticised for it.

I was nine years old when I first played System Shock 2. My understanding of English was very limited, and my pirated CD certainly didn't come with any manual. And yet it sure as hell didn't seem any fucking complicated to me, ESPECIALLY "MUDDLED AND JUMBLINGLY" COMPLICATED.

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? System Shock 2 is all things considered just your typical WSAD shooper with stats, inventory management and some minigames. What the fuck?

There's also one more thing:

We all have our embarrassing secrets. (...) And I’ve never played System Shock 2.

followed by:

So I’m not writing about the story here – I’ve not played enough of it yet to do that. This is about the mechanics

and then followed by:

A detached voice, supposedly but obviously not Dr. Janice Polito, is giving you some sort of narrative guidance

So let me get this straight. You've never played the game, you are not far enough to comment on the story... and yet you know for certain that Polito is not Polito right off from the very fucking start, when that shit only starts getting hinted at rather far into the fucking game, AND it is even implied that it actually WAS Polito at first?

I call bullshit on you and on everything you stand for, mr Walker.

And don't even get me started about

I've not played

you fucking failed english major pretending to be a journalist.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love how he calls SS2 incredibly difficult game yet when I played it for the first time more then ten years ago I found it anything but that (and thats also without manual).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
A detached voice, supposedly but obviously not Dr. Janice Polito, is giving you some sort of narrative guidance

So let me get this straight. You've never played the game, you are not far enough to comment on the story... and yet you know for certain that Polito is not Polito right off from the very fucking start, when that shit only starts getting hinted at rather far into the fucking game, AND it is even implied that it actually WAS Polito at first?

I call bullshit on you and on everything you stand for, mr Walker.

And don't even get me started about

I've not played

you fucking failed english major pretending to be a journalist.
He probably readed spoilers,i.e played Biocock. Fucking idiots...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, Polito's voice does slip about two times (once in Medical and once I think somewhere else) but without prior notice you probably wouldn't make much of it.

Also SS2 has pretty good tutorial explaining all the things he's supposedly confused about, which allowed me many years ago to play the game without manual and with a limited grasp on the English language.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Again, the whole thing about SS2 is that individual encounters generally AREN'T tough. You meet a hybrid, you bash the fucker in the head with a wrench, he goes down quickly. You just have to be careful, not trigger any alarms and not let yourself get worn down.

So LOL at the people comparing it with Dark Souls.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
When reaching the Rickenbacker you find Polito's log it says that she was had contacted with you, but had unleashed SHODAN and feared she had opened Pandora's Box... that's why she probably suicided in her room.

Borelli

Arcane
Well your starting health is <50 while the standard in other FPSes is 100, so that might come as a shock to some people.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When reaching the Rickenbacker you find Polito's log it says that she was had contacted with you, but had unleashed SHODAN and feared she had opened Pandora's Box... that's why she probably suicided in her room.
Isn't she just talking to DeLacroix, not mentioning Goggles at all?

EDIT: here

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Gelbvieh

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
skyrim_11.jpg

skyrim_17.jpg

skyrim_18.jpg

Ho god.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
So John Walker, illustrious helmsman of the RPS boat, was shocked to find that SS2 made him feel fear, helplessness and despair, thus emotionally engaging him on a level few games do, and did this solely through gameplay mechanics, not cutscenes or scripted events. And he's not sure he likes it, because games are supposed to be fun, man. Meanwhile, The Walking Dead is the future of gaming and Bioshock Infinite is a great work of art.

Excuse me while I puke. This is the reason we use the word "hipster" as an insult.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Oh god, why :lol:

I was nine years old when I first played System Shock 2. My understanding of English was very limited, and my pirated CD certainly didn't come with any manual. And yet it sure as hell didn't seem any fucking complicated to me, ESPECIALLY "MUDDLED AND JUMBLINGLY" COMPLICATED.

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? System Shock 2 is all things considered just your typical WSAD shooper with stats, inventory management and some minigames. What the fuck?
I don't know. I find it bewildering that all these banal games of end of 90s are being treated now as some kind of incredibly complicated intellectual challenges.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Is this Walker guy for real?
IS the tutorial not enough for you to understand basic concepts like, you live in an universe where to do shit you need to have batteries that have to be recharged?
Seriously, how can he survive in the real world.

I admit I don't read anything other than the Codex but the things you post here just reinforce my instincts.
Alright, that is not true I read Gamebanshee too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom